Reply 11: The Intelligent Cogitation: For the Master Debaters
Global warming, anyone? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Der Freischuetz

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:59 am
Okay, being the head of this subforum I should do something useful at least once. So I'll start a new topic that I notice hasn't been discussed on here yet.

I'm not gonna have a list of questions for you to answer, since I've noticed there are many different viewpoints on the issue. Discuss away, ladies and gentlemen!  
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:10 pm
Well, they call it climate change now XD

Other than that it's kinda hard to debate without someone expressing a viewpoint and waiting for someone to disagree.

What is there to debate on this topic? Everything that private citizens can do about climate change saves them money and some things actually get you tax cuts or partial refunds. There's no reason not to act on the information that we have about climate change.

*grabs vegan popcorn and heads off to more entertaining threads*  

Efstathios

Girl-Crazy Noob

3,050 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Clambake 200

Der Freischuetz

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:14 pm
Oh, quit taking the fun out of it. I'm trying to draw battle lines and you just walk off. xd  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:07 pm
Draw battle lines? That might be entertaining *hands you a pencil*  

Efstathios

Girl-Crazy Noob

3,050 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Clambake 200

Der Freischuetz

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:39 pm
(I think this thread might be turning upside-down and lighting on fire.)

Okay then...*draw lines*

People who think humanity is the main cause of global warming, go over there. People who don't think global warming is being caused by people, go over there. People who aren't completely sure, go in between them and hope you don't get hit with a lot of mud.  
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:13 pm
If you really what to know we are living in a ice age as it is the world as it is go thought temperature change cycle on a regular bases. It was provable that the ice cap disappear & come back on a regular Cycle. So what happen is what should be happen, ok we might be doing some thing to speed it up but in the end it is enviable.  

Isho Von Ra

Efstathios

Girl-Crazy Noob

3,050 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:45 pm
*waits patiently on the "human activity has caused a significant and unnatural rise in global temperature" side*

Sure the world changes and temperatures flux, but right now they're moving way to fast and humans are the ones that have sped it up to this rate. The amount of waste we are putting into the air is making it worse by the minute, there are ways to reduce the impact of human activity, but most people see it as inconvienant. It would reduce profits for rich bureoucrats and anyone involved in oil/petroleum.  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:54 am
You see... You can't draw battle lines for issues such as that. It's a way to open ended discussion...opinions for this subject are more then just a couple that people have to choose for and argue...  

Drag Hustler

Der Freischuetz

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:29 pm
But it's fun to generalize!  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:17 pm
It's sad how often generalizations or stereotypes are accurate. Being PC just means acknowledging the 20% in every demographic that's the complete opposite of all the others in their demograph.
This gonna be a debate of generalizations or climate change?  

Efstathios

Girl-Crazy Noob

3,050 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Clambake 200

Der Freischuetz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:47 pm
I'd rather discuss climate change, though right now the biggest argument is how much people are influencing cimate change.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:27 pm
True indeed.
So how much does everyone think people are influencing climate change?  

Efstathios

Girl-Crazy Noob

3,050 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Clambake 200

MsDevin92

Chatty Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:15 pm
I don't know if it was inevitable or not, but humanity sure has made global warming a lot more severe with all this stupid chemical pollution we're spreading. We need to invest in some environmentally-friendly fuels and stop killing the planet!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:37 pm
I just hate how it seems like the government and everything are leaving these big problems for my generation to deal with.

I think that people are pretty much the cause of "climate change." How can we not be? No one ever took precautions against things like this, because no one knew it could happen. I think. I mean, someone could've known...I could be wrong, I suppose.

Civetta

WildCardJack

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:01 am
a) the earth goes through a regular flux of climate changes. Its not a big deal. We are coming out of another tiny ice age such as this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Thames_frost_fairs
40 years ago everyone was worried about "global cooling" and now as the world gets warmed up again it's time for us to all freak out again. Don't believe me about the global cooling scare: http://www.junkscience.com/mar06/Time_AnotherIceAge_June241974.pdf

b) even so, is this warming a problem? everyone is saying "omg the seas gonna fill with more water from melting ice caps and flood every coastal town in the world" however they are forgetting that when water freezes (as into ice caps) it EXPANDS (hence your ice floating in your drink) so when it melts it will CONTRACT taking up LESS VOLUME not more. the only flooding we'd have to worry about was land locked glaciers flooding nearby land. but hey, im sure we could ship the water to arizona or something. and hey most lakes have been losing water volume, so what harm can it do to fill em back up?

c) what makes me really mad it the Kyoto protocol. it is just bad. IF global warming WERE a problem, the kyoto protocol doesnt require most nations (CHINA and INDIA being some rolleyes ) to do anything. In fact, after signing the EU's carbon emmissions ROSE. It only requires nations like the U.S. were we to sign it, to cut emissions to the point where it would cripple our economy. oooh sounds like fun, lets fall into peer pressure (yes, the US has sunk low enough to be affected by this) and sign it so we look good when we go down the drain. mad

im not saying pollution isnt bad. it is. but not nearly AS bad as some would like to claim. and for the record it's not our (the US's) fault, thanx. let me remind you that we have some of the best pollutant-stopping technology out there. the real problem countriesare ones like China, that in a few years WILL surpass our industry output of CO2 and doesnt use pollutant stopping technology, because that, as we've found slows down industry.  
11: The Intelligent Cogitation: For the Master Debaters

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff