Reply 72: Science & Astronomy Hangout
Destruction of the Earth. Nature's Balance corrupted

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aar000n3yTheL000n3y

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:17 pm
Most people are just worried about their day to day lives, and don't usually ever consider what supports their lives. From our daily lives we disrupt the Earth's ecosystems, which throws the balance out of wack.

One factor that I've been looking into recently is carbon dioxide levels rising througout the next 100 years (if we don't kill ourselves by then). This also contributes to global warming, resulting in more storms/rain. Rain helps put carbon dioxide into the water, which supports the ecosystems down under. With CO2 levels rising (double the level in 50 yrs, triple in 100 if I remember correctly), more will go into the ocean. Coral slows down its rate of growth by a lot when CO2 levels rise, and algea takes over. Because of fishing going out of control from the population rising, there isn't much to get rid of that algae. The coral will die, fish will die, many things will die.

Another CO2 case is in the forests. Forests quite literally overflow when too much CO2 comes in. It's just it's natural capacity. So now the forests giving off oxygen, stop giving it off basically. When a drought strikes, forests give off CO2 from the rotting plant life, decay all over.

There's more, but by now most of you will have stopped reading this. This combined with many other problems is going to lead to the extinction of the human race. Hopefully we won't take too many more species with us.

Hope you read through it all.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:15 pm
Humans living far beyond planet's means: WWF

This is one of the few things that I am entirely pessimistic about. At the current rate we're raping the planet, every political crisis in progress right now and to occur in the next few decades are going to become inconsequential as the consequences of our actions become too drastic to ignore. The Kyoto Treaty is a step in the right direction, but it is nowhere near enough. Every industrialized country in the world must cut consumption by half (and emissions of all sorts by even more) within the next few years if there's to be any hope of a remotely stable environment capable of supporting us. Is this likely to happen? Not really. It would require a massive paradigm shift across every society in the world, which requires education, which is consistently and systematically blocked by the ruling powers because this paradigm shift would mean they would no longer have control of the thrones they currently occupy.

*is going to shut up for now, else he'll go on and on and on*  

Endrael

Codger

Aar000n3yTheL000n3y

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:32 am
Endrael

This is one of the few things that I am entirely pessimistic about. At the current rate we're raping the planet, every political crisis in progress right now and to occur in the next few decades are going to become inconsequential as the consequences of our actions become too drastic to ignore. The Kyoto Treaty is a step in the right direction, but it is nowhere near enough. Every industrialized country in the world must cut consumption by half (and emissions of all sorts by even more) within the next few years if there's to be any hope of a remotely stable environment capable of supporting us. Is this likely to happen? Not really. It would require a massive paradigm shift across every society in the world, which requires education, which is consistently and systematically blocked by the ruling powers because this paradigm shift would mean they would no longer have control of the thrones they currently occupy.

Yes, but in my opinion we should take away basically all emissions. We've already ******** it up so much that nature will need help, not just taking down the amount put out.
I'm not familiar with the Kyoto Treaty. Can you explain please?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:52 pm
humm... I never knew that about coral and algae and all that. That's interesting.

I dunno if it's possible to get rid of CO2 emissions all together. I agree with Endriel that the Kyoto treaty is a good step in the right direction.

I feel there is a lot we can do to prevent any more distruction and perhaps even reverse some of it, but then I don't think we can stop all our distruction all together. No matter what we do instead of something that harms the earth we will still harm the earth somehow. It's just a matter of what harms the earth the least so that we can survive the longest.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
  • Planetary Technician 150

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:56 pm
Aar000n3yTheL000n3y
Endrael

Yes, but in my opinion we should take away basically all emissions. We've already ******** it up so much that nature will need help, not just taking down the amount put out.
I'm not familiar with the Kyoto Treaty. Can you explain please?

The Kyoto Treaty is basically an international treaty based on emission sharing. So every country that's a signatory to the treaty (the US is not one of them) get so many "credits" each year for how much emissions they're allowed to produce. If they produce fewer emissions than they're "credit limit", then they can trade the spare credits to countries that have produced more emissions than they're allotted limit. Each year, the "credit limit" is reduced, with the eventual goal to reduce emissions by at least half. The problem is that half wouldn't be anywhere near enough to have much of an impact, since every credible estimate says that emissions would have to be cut by at least 80% world wide just to stabilize the environment. If we wanted to actually reverse all the problems we've caused with the environment, we'd have to completely alter our way of living.  
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:06 pm
Aar000n3yTheL000n3y
Most people are just worried about their day to day lives, and don't usually ever consider what supports their lives. From our daily lives we disrupt the Earth's ecosystems, which throws the balance out of wack.

One factor that I've been looking into recently is carbon dioxide levels rising througout the next 100 years (if we don't kill ourselves by then). This also contributes to global warming, resulting in more storms/rain. Rain helps put carbon dioxide into the water, which supports the ecosystems down under. With CO2 levels rising (double the level in 50 yrs, triple in 100 if I remember correctly), more will go into the ocean. Coral slows down its rate of growth by a lot when CO2 levels rise, and algea takes over. Because of fishing going out of control from the population rising, there isn't much to get rid of that algae. The coral will die, fish will die, many things will die.

Another CO2 case is in the forests. Forests quite literally overflow when too much CO2 comes in. It's just it's natural capacity. So now the forests giving off oxygen, stop giving it off basically. When a drought strikes, forests give off CO2 from the rotting plant life, decay all over.

There's more, but by now most of you will have stopped reading this. This combined with many other problems is going to lead to the extinction of the human race. Hopefully we won't take too many more species with us.

Hope you read through it all.

I never knew CO2 came from so much stuff in nature....  

lanissi

Groucho and Karl

Fanatical Cultist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:20 am
I never knew half of that stuff. I really think you are going somewhere with this. As for the Kyoto Treaty, It should work. What really will kill the human race is All the natural gas and oil wells will dry up in 100 years, and all of the human race will be forced into more primitave ways of cooking, traveling, and that will cause things such as riots and fights over all the wood, for fires. Then all of the world's forests will be comepletley destroyed and we will lose a lot of oxygen and eventually die out from no oxygen.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:10 pm
Humans do not stop things that they are used in to doing. That's why we chose to improve machinery. Maybe if we could adapt sound, light and heat energy simultaneously, that would be great.  

Thyplosion

Unsealed Power

12,725 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • That One Hero 500
72: Science & Astronomy Hangout

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items