Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Does life suck?
  Yes
  No
  I cannot say
View Results
El_Chico_de_Fuego rolled 10 12-sided dice: 5, 7, 5, 9, 2, 12, 5, 3, 2, 4 Total: 54 (10-120)

El_Chico_de_Fuego

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:53 pm
question

Have you ever wondered: "What is the meaning of life?" or "What is our purpose here?" Many people will say that the meaning of life is simply to live, procreate, and sustain the next generation until the time to die presents itself. Many people also believe that the meaning of life is the purpose of life. Despite this, if the meaning of life is to live and procreate, then die, what is the point? Eventually you will run out of resources and we will all die anyways. If that is the case, then how can we justify our existance? By procreating, in this sense, you will be contributing to the problem: more and more lives consuming more and more resources.

This is not an issue of overpopulation; this is, however, an issue about life itself. If we cannot justify our purpose, we cannot justify anything in life and associate a proper meaning to it.

Example:

Why do people work? --To earn money
Why do people need mony? --To earn a living
Why do people need to live? -- exclaim Trick Question exclaim

The reason the above question "Why do people need to live?" is a trick question is because there is no real answer. One could argue that living is all humans know how to do at the basic level of instinct, doing anything one needs to keep one alive. Others say that people need to live otherwise life itself would be terrible. Here is a thought: If we do not exist, life still goes on. With or without humans, life would continue to cycle: birth, growth, reproduction, and death; This is the basic cycle of life. Secondly, if our instincts ruled our lives, we would realize that life sucks. Otherwise, why would we need cars, firearms, and forms of entertainment? Basic human instinct will tell us to eat, sleep, reproduce, and protect the ones close to us.

"Life sucks, and then you die." -Fr. Kenneth Mc Kernan, CSB.

The above quote was told to my morality class last year. The topic of the class discussions for that week regarded life in-and-of-itself. This quote was used as a way of putting into perspective views on life and why certain things in the world occur.

The quote also brings up a valid side point: If life sucks so bad to the point that it still goes on until our demise, what makes us believe otherwise? Human beings are logical beings, and so logically we would have to admit that life truly does suck and then you die. But, the funny thing is, many people are unwilling to accept this as true?

The answer is simple: our minds divert us from this truth. Whenever smething bad happens to us and we question why it happened to us and why at that time and why us and why this way, our minds are cleverly at work finding an alternate explanation other than this truth. Our coffee spilt on us while driving to work and we have a very important interview first-thing when we get to work. Our minds will tell us that although it would be embarassing to have coffe stains all-over our clothing, we should not have been doing this because it is detrimental to our daily functions.

Also, our minds will do anything to divert us from this truth, going to lengths as far and wide as making us a little paranoid about our lives. We go about our life doing things all-the-while worrying about what akward thing will happen to us next. THis is only caused by the fact that we have experienced many things that have no "logical" explanation. We as humans instinctively cannot accept the fact that things we cannot logically explain can occur.Our minds tell us to try and explain it logically, and if we cannot, we instinctively pass it off as simple gossip or rumor and nothing worth any notice.

Another way our minds can literally go to far to protect ourself from unveiling this truth is when we briefly question subjects such as this and then reflect on what we have found out. A perfect example of this is a baloon popping. When we push up against the truth and briefly question the explanations given to us by our mind, it is like we are throwing needles and the balloon; eventually we are going to pop it, and when we do, a loud, yet brief, *bang* will resound. This *bang* is our consciousness coming to the realization that our subconscious is "lying" to us in the sense that we are being witheld from the truth of life.

Now, bringing back the point of the purpose of life, what could we possibly say now? Our life is meaningless, always attempting to stay occupied and "entertained" so that we cannot be "sad" and "downtrodden". The one problem with all of this is the simple fact that all life is susceptible to it. Everyone is subject to their minds' prevention of the truth. Everyone is under its influence. For the few of us that truly realize and accept this truth, it does not mean that our minds stop this charade all together. It simply means that we have come past the mind's deception and accepted the fate handed down to us. Our minds will still continue to attempt to cover up the truth, many-a-time succeeding just for the simple fact that at those times we simply cannot bear to admit it at those times.

So simply remember, you are your own bank of information regarding the truth. Only you have the power to admit that life is a charade, a facade, a hoax meant to ensare us into finding the methods to live forever. It is only ourselves that can stop the threat of self-destruction through research and development for self-sustenance beyong immortality. And, lastly, it is only ourselves that can try to fathom a reason to why we need to live.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:09 pm
I have wondered one too many times...

Quote:
A sense of purpose is the best driving force to live. When you have a reason to live, you will never have a reason to quit.

TwIsTeDsUnShInE

El_Chico_de_Fuego

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:34 am
The meaning of life is death. The inevitability of death is more than enough evidence to prove this. The fact that we come crying from the womb, our first- ever "comfort zone", is another supporting factor. The way we try and put off death is the futile attempt all organisms have, meaning it is a universal truth. Our futile attempts to cheat death lead us down a path many have followed, a path that down the road every so often we will find a corpse or two rotting and festering on the side of the path; corpses that have died in a position similar to that of one trying to scale a cliff-face, as if to escape some cage. On this path ironically known as "life", there are only two ways "out": onward toward the "end of the path", or back to where we started. No matter which direction we choose to go at this point, both lead to the same end...  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:59 am
TwIsTeDsUnShInE
I have wondered one too many times...

Quote:
A sense of purpose is the best driving force to live. When you have a reason to live, you will never have a reason to quit.

I've also decided that it's too complicated a question, especially since we'll never get a true answer. All it does is give you a headache. You could say it was God who wanted to create people, but then it would turn into, "Where did God come from?" I think people a comforted by that reason because it gives them a better answer. They are here for the sole purpose of God wanting them here. And even though the Earth is full of life itself (Animals, plants, other known and unknown organisms), one could say that the reason humans are here is to nourish the Earth.

I think it's stupid that we have jobs that we are depended on to have a comfortable life. It's needless and too stressful. I understand school and other educational places such as college, university, libraries, museums, etc, but do we really need all these other jobs? There are some jobs that are there to help other jobs, what's up with that??! It's annoying and unnessecary. (can't spell that word.)  

AgentPingoX69Oo

Hilarious Fatcat

Raspberry Parfait

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:30 pm
I think people gotta give their life meaning itself, so there is no universal purpose for life. If you find something you want to live for or a goal to achieve, then that's the meaning of your life. Does that make any sense? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:42 am
the meaning of life is to carry on the human race.  

ignorance is bliss or not

Diamond Tears21

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:31 pm
the meaning of life manybe to reach death but it may also be to live the little time we do have to make our goals and dreams come true or to just follow fate or even change itand see where it takes us but the road we all share is death and that is the only fate we can't change only delay  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:02 pm
WHAT IS THE MEANING OF LIFE? Many people have wondered this and many times try to create comfortable zones on it for them. Some people tell themselves that you should enjoy life and live as long as you can because after you die that's it... then what's the point of enjoying it? You would just be a tool trying to carry out a will that's not your own.
LOGIC just pulls you down. Examples, when they tried to tell people about germs, the logic said there was no such thing, but it turns out there was. So, if scientists say, "there is no greater force in life, you just live to die and die to live" then maybe there is a greater force in life because scientists and law people have been wrong many times before.
Then there's the whole thing, infinite is hard for our brains to recieve, it's hard for us to imagine something creating themselves from nothing, it's hard to accept how we got here now, so people try to just ignore it. Well maybe there never was nothing, maybe there was always something, who created that something? no one, it was just always there. Just like animals force themselves to make their own adaptions, maybe the universe made itself and made humans and animals act as keys and hints to show you that we are created in the universes matter. Perhaps there is a greater force, maybe they are making our heads think this stuff is impossible because they don't want us to figure out the actual meaning of life, they don't want us to get in their way. So they make our heads think like this. Because it has to be logical or it doesn't make sense. What if our logic is actually the exact opposite of the way things in the universe are? what if "gravity" is actual the stuff that keeps thing in space from touching, maybe it's the absence of gravity that keeps the planets in orbit and us creatures on the earth. What if someone is trying to manipulate our minds to the way that they want them to be. How do we know that the "crazy people" aren't actually the people who can see and realize what is there that we cannot see, what if the horrible things you imagine in your mind are the things that are supposed to happen?
DEJA VU... Oh, I had a whole theory on this and my friends thought I was nuts and should get sent to a psychoward. I believed that maybe there were different universes that held the planets of time. One planet repeats itself over and over and over again, and the people who do this mind's are wiped clean, well what if some minds have had so much thought that it's harder and harder to wipe them clean every time and some things remain, that may be how psychics know this and that, and how people have DEJA VU, maybe their minds weren't erased efficently. And these people need to group up to figure things out, but now I realize, what use would that be? It would be stupid and idiotic because they couldn't stop the greater force, they'd just get that erased until nothing can be erased anymore, then what? Their lives have no meaning.
PSYCHOPATHS... you ever hear those people who go, "there's something there... can't you see it!? there's something there!" Or those people who try to kill themselves or other people? They might be able to see the truth without knowing it and it makes them "mad" to us because they are seeing the truth and trying to kill themselves because this truth is too much pressure for them. Because there is only so much our minds can take. Perhaps someone in the past has given us a clue to this, "sane" and "insane".... why does sane when you're "crazy" have "in-" at the begining? Wouldn't that mean you are inside of sanity? Maybe it's a clue to tell us that the psycho people aren't so psycho after all.
yes, maybe this is better left alone, and if you actually read this far without skipping, good for you. But the problem is that I have been having these serious thoughts forever and they have made me severly depressed, and these are the things that pop into my mind when I'm alone with my head, and it's driving me insane... hmmm...
Now I ask you... "what is the meaning of life?" twisted

RizaMustang24

RizaMustang24

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:52 am
~_~ I'm sorry, did I just completly wreck this forum? If I did I'll go somewhere else now...  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:32 pm
Maybe we think about this in the wrong way.

"Our minds are making up excuses for us to live." or some such nonesnse. maybe we just don't know enough yet and are trying to function on our limited knowledge. And instead of turning knowledge to wisdom and seaking more and a broader understanding, we play games and refuse to revise our ideas stubbornly believing that we know it, so it must be true.  

Timo Supremo

Grn Apple

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:36 am
I have been trying to explain my view on "the meaning of life" for along time now. And you have just written what I have been trying to say. I had been asking that question a long time, then during algebra class, I asked my teacher why *something in algebra* helps us in life. Then she went on to say that it was to have an education. To make something of our lives after we graduate from highschool and college. I asked why do we need to have a good career, and she made it sound as if one could not be happy unless we had a job that paid well. I was about to retaliate until she made us return to our work. so after class, my friend and I wanted to tallk to her about it again. She just went to say, again, that without an education, one cannot have intellectual conversations, have a well paid career, and then would not be happy. But she really kind of just answered us back with another question, like would we be happy working at mcdonalds the rest of our lives? Then I asked if that was the meaning of life, to be happy. Then she, again, answered back with another question, if that was what I got out of our dicussion. I was about to shoot back, when she booted us out. She totally avoided it.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:41 am
will the flood behind me?

I think that I might have my own interesting opinion on the first post.

Yes, everything said is what I agree with and I've accepted that life is a facade, and everything we do is further sustain the livelihood of the spiecies.
But, what if our minds are telling us these things and this things and those things just to keep us from knowing the thruth behind the stated truth?
I know, that doesn't make any since, but what I'm trying to say is this:
What if our mind tells us these things to make us think about the meaning of life, when it simply isn't an answerable question, even though the answers are different for us all and for society as a whole?

I hope that makes a little since.

put out the fire inside?

Reptiliac

Quirinia

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:31 am
She's a math teacher. Scratch that: She's an algebra teacher. Algebra is basically just a bunch of formulas that always result in one set of answers. Unless she's teaching or researching some crazy high-level experimental math, she probably won't care about philosophy.

Life is without purpose. However, if an individual wishes to assign a meaning to his life, that is his own affair, and should not be ridiculed.  
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:46 pm
i love my life!!!  

roxxey21

Cozmic_Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:59 am
El_Chico_de_Fuego
question

Have you ever wondered: "What is the meaning of life?" or "What is our purpose here?" Many people will say that the meaning of life is simply to live, procreate, and sustain the next generation until the time to die presents itself. Many people also believe that the meaning of life is the purpose of life. Despite this, if the meaning of life is to live and procreate, then die, what is the point? Eventually you will run out of resources and we will all die anyways. If that is the case, then how can we justify our existance? By procreating, in this sense, you will be contributing to the problem: more and more lives consuming more and more resources.

This is not an issue of overpopulation; this is, however, an issue about life itself. If we cannot justify our purpose, we cannot justify anything in life and associate a proper meaning to it.

Example:

Why do people work? --To earn money
Why do people need mony? --To earn a living
Why do people need to live? -- exclaim Trick Question exclaim

The reason the above question "Why do people need to live?" is a trick question is because there is no real answer. One could argue that living is all humans know how to do at the basic level of instinct, doing anything one needs to keep one alive. Others say that people need to live otherwise life itself would be terrible. Here is a thought: If we do not exist, life still goes on. With or without humans, life would continue to cycle: birth, growth, reproduction, and death; This is the basic cycle of life. Secondly, if our instincts ruled our lives, we would realize that life sucks. Otherwise, why would we need cars, firearms, and forms of entertainment? Basic human instinct will tell us to eat, sleep, reproduce, and protect the ones close to us.

"Life sucks, and then you die." -Fr. Kenneth Mc Kernan, CSB.

The above quote was told to my morality class last year. The topic of the class discussions for that week regarded life in-and-of-itself. This quote was used as a way of putting into perspective views on life and why certain things in the world occur.

The quote also brings up a valid side point: If life sucks so bad to the point that it still goes on until our demise, what makes us believe otherwise? Human beings are logical beings, and so logically we would have to admit that life truly does suck and then you die. But, the funny thing is, many people are unwilling to accept this as true?

The answer is simple: our minds divert us from this truth. Whenever smething bad happens to us and we question why it happened to us and why at that time and why us and why this way, our minds are cleverly at work finding an alternate explanation other than this truth. Our coffee spilt on us while driving to work and we have a very important interview first-thing when we get to work. Our minds will tell us that although it would be embarassing to have coffe stains all-over our clothing, we should not have been doing this because it is detrimental to our daily functions.

Also, our minds will do anything to divert us from this truth, going to lengths as far and wide as making us a little paranoid about our lives. We go about our life doing things all-the-while worrying about what akward thing will happen to us next. THis is only caused by the fact that we have experienced many things that have no "logical" explanation. We as humans instinctively cannot accept the fact that things we cannot logically explain can occur.Our minds tell us to try and explain it logically, and if we cannot, we instinctively pass it off as simple gossip or rumor and nothing worth any notice.

Another way our minds can literally go to far to protect ourself from unveiling this truth is when we briefly question subjects such as this and then reflect on what we have found out. A perfect example of this is a baloon popping. When we push up against the truth and briefly question the explanations given to us by our mind, it is like we are throwing needles and the balloon; eventually we are going to pop it, and when we do, a loud, yet brief, *bang* will resound. This *bang* is our consciousness coming to the realization that our subconscious is "lying" to us in the sense that we are being witheld from the truth of life.

Now, bringing back the point of the purpose of life, what could we possibly say now? Our life is meaningless, always attempting to stay occupied and "entertained" so that we cannot be "sad" and "downtrodden". The one problem with all of this is the simple fact that all life is susceptible to it. Everyone is subject to their minds' prevention of the truth. Everyone is under its influence. For the few of us that truly realize and accept this truth, it does not mean that our minds stop this charade all together. It simply means that we have come past the mind's deception and accepted the fate handed down to us. Our minds will still continue to attempt to cover up the truth, many-a-time succeeding just for the simple fact that at those times we simply cannot bear to admit it at those times.

So simply remember, you are your own bank of information regarding the truth. Only you have the power to admit that life is a charade, a facade, a hoax meant to ensare us into finding the methods to live forever. It is only ourselves that can stop the threat of self-destruction through research and development for self-sustenance beyong immortality. And, lastly, it is only ourselves that can try to fathom a reason to why we need to live.

dude, that wasa beautiful. thanks for that. i'm glad someone other than me believes that sorta thing  
47: The Depression Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff