bizarre :/
  stupid o.O
  shiny! Gold! Yay!
View Results

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:30 pm
http://www.atlantisrising.com/issue18/18bermuda.html

This really doesn't have much to do with science, but I thought it was interesting how they rape the concepts of mini worm holes and such to explain their 'discoveries'.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:29 pm
I just skimmed over that article. Seems iffy to me. ... I dunno about it. confused Then again anything about the Bermuda triangle seems iffy. xp  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
  • Planetary Technician 150

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:53 pm
Agreed. Most of the time when I run across anything talking about the Bermuda Triangle or Atlantis, my usual reaction is just to sigh and ignore it, but this one was just so ridiculous I had to point it out.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:40 pm
What's rather sad is that his musings about the US naval base in the area are likely more accurate than anything else in his article, especially when he starts talking about how the area could potentially be Atlantis.

Map of the Atlantic

And excerpted from Plato's Critia, the pertinent bit about the layout of Atlantis, which makes it quite clear that there's no way the Bahamas could possibly be Atlantis.

"In the division
of the earth Poseidon obtained as his portion the island of Atlantis, and
there he begat children whose mother was a mortal. Towards the sea and in
the centre of the island there was a very fair and fertile plain, and near
the centre, about fifty stadia from the plain, there was a low mountain in
which dwelt a man named Evenor and his wife Leucippe, and their daughter
Cleito, of whom Poseidon became enamoured. He to secure his love enclosed
the mountain with rings or zones varying in size, two of land and three of
sea, which his divine power readily enabled him to excavate and fashion,
and, as there was no shipping in those days, no man could get into the
place. To the interior island he conveyed under the earth springs of water
hot and cold, and supplied the land with all things needed for the life of
man. Here he begat a family consisting of five pairs of twin male
children. The eldest was Atlas, and him he made king of the centre island,
while to his twin brother, Eumelus, or Gadeirus, he assigned that part of
the country which was nearest the Straits. The other brothers he made
chiefs over the rest of the island. And their kingdom extended as far as
Egypt and Tyrrhenia. Now Atlas had a fair posterity, and great treasures
derived from mines--among them that precious metal orichalcum; and there
was abundance of wood, and herds of elephants, and pastures for animals of
all kinds, and fragrant herbs, and grasses, and trees bearing fruit. These
they used, and employed themselves in constructing their temples, and
palaces, and harbours, and docks, in the following manner:--First, they
bridged over the zones of sea, and made a way to and from the royal palace
which they built in the centre island. This ancient palace was ornamented
by successive generations; and they dug a canal which passed through the
zones of land from the island to the sea. The zones of earth were
surrounded by walls made of stone of divers colours, black and white and
red, which they sometimes intermingled for the sake of ornament; and as
they quarried they hollowed out beneath the edges of the zones double docks
having roofs of rock. The outermost of the walls was coated with brass,
the second with tin, and the third, which was the wall of the citadel,
flashed with the red light of orichalcum. In the interior of the citadel
was a holy temple, dedicated to Cleito and Poseidon, and surrounded by an
enclosure of gold, and there was Poseidon's own temple, which was covered
with silver, and the pinnacles with gold. The roof was of ivory, adorned
with gold and silver and orichalcum, and the rest of the interior was lined
with orichalcum. Within was an image of the god standing in a chariot
drawn by six winged horses, and touching the roof with his head; around him
were a hundred Nereids, riding on dolphins. Outside the temple were placed
golden statues of all the descendants of the ten kings and of their wives;
there was an altar too, and there were palaces, corresponding to the
greatness and glory both of the kingdom and of the temple.

Also there were fountains of hot and cold water, and suitable buildings
surrounding them, and trees, and there were baths both of the kings and of
private individuals, and separate baths for women, and also for cattle.
The water from the baths was carried to the grove of Poseidon, and by
aqueducts over the bridges to the outer circles. And there were temples in
the zones, and in the larger of the two there was a racecourse for horses,
which ran all round the island. The guards were distributed in the zones
according to the trust reposed in them; the most trusted of them were
stationed in the citadel. The docks were full of triremes and stores. The
land between the harbour and the sea was surrounded by a wall, and was
crowded with dwellings, and the harbour and canal resounded with the din of
human voices.

The plain around the city was highly cultivated and sheltered from the
north by mountains; it was oblong, and where falling out of the straight
line followed the circular ditch, which was of an incredible depth. This
depth received the streams which came down from the mountains, as well as
the canals of the interior, and found a way to the sea. The entire country
was divided into sixty thousand lots, each of which was a square of ten
stadia; and the owner of a lot was bound to furnish the sixth part of a
war-chariot, so as to make up ten thousand chariots, two horses and riders
upon them, a pair of chariot-horses without a seat, and an attendant and
charioteer, two hoplites, two archers, two slingers, three stone-shooters,
three javelin-men, and four sailors to make up the complement of twelve
hundred ships."  

Endrael

Codger

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:58 am
Endrael
What's rather sad is that his musings about the US naval base in the area are likely more accurate than anything else in his article, especially when he starts talking about how the area could potentially be Atlantis.

Map of the Atlantic

ah. yea. Yea I remember watching this TV show once about Atlantis. They were looking at that whole thing that Plato wrote and trying to figure out where it could have been. I think the most possible place they came up with was somewhere in the Mediterainian.

*shrugs* I think it's possible that Atlantis could have exsisted. Thing is, is that there's no enough scientific evidence to really prove anything, so it all seems rather fake for the time being.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:08 pm
AstronomyGirl
Endrael

Map of the Atlantic

ah. yea. Yea I remember watching this TV show once about Atlantis. They were looking at that whole thing that Plato wrote and trying to figure out where it could have been. I think the most possible place they came up with was somewhere in the Mediterainian.

*shrugs* I think it's possible that Atlantis could have exsisted. Thing is, is that there's no enough scientific evidence to really prove anything, so it all seems rather fake for the time being.

Yeah. And with the technology back then, saying that Atlantis was technology advanced doesn't mean much of anything by this point. With all the New Age bs going about about how Atlantis was able to travel the among stars and all of that, it's incomprehensible that they would have been wiped out with a single small island sinking under the sea, or that they hadn't dominated the world because of their exponentially superior technology. At best, they had iron, maybe steel if you really stretch it.  

Endrael

Codger

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:13 pm
Endrael

Yeah. And with the technology back then, saying that Atlantis was technology advanced doesn't mean much of anything by this point. With all the New Age bs going about about how Atlantis was able to travel the among stars and all of that, it's incomprehensible that they would have been wiped out with a single small island sinking under the sea, or that they hadn't dominated the world because of their exponentially superior technology. At best, they had iron, maybe steel if you really stretch it.

humm... I never really thought about that, but yea I agree with you. Comparted to what they knew back then, what we have now is amazing, so it wouldn't take much for them to say that they were technologically advanced. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:20 am

I saw a documentary about the Bermuda triangle on the Science Channel. The only reason that so many people that passed through that specific area were never to be found again is because the lack of landmarks. It's extremely hard for them to navigate, even they though they had compasses. Not only is the difficulty of navigation a problem, but the fact that many of the captains who lead a group through the area always thought they were going the right way and once their mind was set, it wouldn't be changed again, so they would continue going in the wrong direction.

Unreligion

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:32 am
Unreligion

I saw a documentary about the Bermuda triangle on the Science Channel. The only reason that so many people that passed through that specific area were never to be found again is because the lack of landmarks. It's extremely hard for them to navigate, even they though they had compasses. Not only is the difficulty of navigation a problem, but the fact that many of the captains who lead a group through the area always thought they were going the right way and once their mind was set, it wouldn't be changed again, so they would continue going in the wrong direction.

yea I heard that too. I think that is mostly what causes all those dissappearances and such in the Bermuda triangle.
I remember watching a show like that too, about how they were trying to find these missing planes in the triangle and it was probably that the people flying were jsut going the wrong way then what they thought.
That doesnt' really explain the compasses going wierd though, as some people say happends there. Perhaps that's just an annomely in the earths magnetic feild?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:02 am
AstronomyGirl
Unreligion

yea I heard that too. I think that is mostly what causes all those dissappearances and such in the Bermuda triangle.
I remember watching a show like that too, about how they were trying to find these missing planes in the triangle and it was probably that the people flying were jsut going the wrong way then what they thought.
That doesnt' really explain the compasses going wierd though, as some people say happends there. Perhaps that's just an annomely in the earths magnetic feild?

Bingo. There are several places around the world with bizarre magnetic activity like that in the Bermuda Triangle. There's the Devil's Triangle, which is near Japan, there's another somewhere near Australia, another in the Indian Ocean, and I think even one that's landlocked in Europe somewhere. I don't remember the exact specifics about it, since it's been awhile since I've done any serious reading about the Bermuda Triangle, but I do know for sure that it's not the only place like it. It's just the most famous.

I was watching a show the other day about the Earth's magnetic field, actually, and it was talking about how flowing molten metal (like the Earth's core) generates unstable magnetic fields. If I remember right, one of the hot spots for bizarre field fluctuations was right in the Bermuda/Florida/Cuba area, so that right there makes for the most logical explanation for places like the Bermuda Triangle and weird compass behavior.  

Endrael

Codger

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:42 pm
Endrael

Bingo. There are several places around the world with bizarre magnetic activity like that in the Bermuda Triangle. There's the Devil's Triangle, which is near Japan, there's another somewhere near Australia, another in the Indian Ocean, and I think even one that's landlocked in Europe somewhere. I don't remember the exact specifics about it, since it's been awhile since I've done any serious reading about the Bermuda Triangle, but I do know for sure that it's not the only place like it. It's just the most famous.

I was watching a show the other day about the Earth's magnetic field, actually, and it was talking about how flowing molten metal (like the Earth's core) generates unstable magnetic fields. If I remember right, one of the hot spots for bizarre field fluctuations was right in the Bermuda/Florida/Cuba area, so that right there makes for the most logical explanation for places like the Bermuda Triangle and weird compass behavior.

whoa... I was just taking a random guess when I said that about the magnetic feilds. I didn't know there was lots of evidence for it. blaugh Good to know though.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:45 pm
AstronomyGirl
Endrael

whoa... I was just taking a random guess when I said that about the magnetic feilds. I didn't know there was lots of evidence for it. blaugh Good to know though.

There's also the mystery spot in Santa Cruz, California.

Unreligion

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:53 pm
Unreligion
AstronomyGirl
Endrael

I was born kind of near there. San Diego, specifically.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:28 pm
Endrael
Unreligion

I was born kind of near there. San Diego, specifically.

oo cool. But yea, there are lots of places, I'm guessing, where the magnetic field is wierd.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Sumari_57

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:20 pm
the bermuda triangle has always entise me but i never did much reserch on it but my explanation for dissapearing vessela mau be xplained in the magnetic anomly disturbing their navigational capabilites  
72: Science & Astronomy Hangout

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff