Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dyson Sphere
  Gotta love star trek.
View Results

LiBu

Beloved Shade

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:09 pm
As I understand it, it is a sphere erected around a star, meant to harness it's energy.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Is it as simple as any solar collector, or does it work differently?
And, is anyone really trying to create one?
Also, because I have to wonder, is the technology at all similar to that in Dyson vaccum cleaners?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:50 am
LiBu
As I understand it, it is a sphere erected around a star, meant to harness it's energy.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, because I have to wonder, is the technology at all similar to that in Dyson vaccum cleaners?

It's hard to say. Dyson spheres are pruely theoretical right now.
We can say that they'd probably me similar to a solar collector we have now. No noone has really tired to make one yet. We don't have the technology. And no it's probably not similar technology to Dyson vaccum cleaners. That's probably just a coinsidence in the name.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
  • Planetary Technician 150

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:13 pm
A quick google search brings up this page, which is pretty good about explaining what a Dyson sphere is and what it would be used for.

Dyson spheres

--- edit ---
Be warned, though, that there's a lot of mathematics and physics involved for some sections of the page.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:19 pm
Endrael
A quick google search brings up this page, which is pretty good about explaining what a Dyson sphere is and what it would be used for.

Dyson spheres

--- edit ---
Be warned, though, that there's a lot of mathematics and physics involved for some sections of the page.

wow... I actaully understand that math and physics. It's similar to what I had to do for my astro course this past year. burning_eyes blaugh  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:22 pm
AstronomyGirl
Endrael

Dyson spheres

--- edit ---

wow... I actaully understand that math and physics. It's similar to what I had to do for my astro course this past year. burning_eyes blaugh

That's one up on me, then sweatdrop If there were better explanation of what the variables and all that were, I could understand it, but I have no knowledge of what they're supposed to mean. One of those things I haven't bothered teaching myself yet neutral  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:08 pm
Endrael

That's one up on me, then sweatdrop If there were better explanation of what the variables and all that were, I could understand it, but I have no knowledge of what they're supposed to mean. One of those things I haven't bothered teaching myself yet neutral

ah. lol. Well when I have a bit of time, perhaps I'll really read through that and try explaining it a bit better to you... if you want.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

LiBu

Beloved Shade

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:36 pm
I saw a poster once, in one of my science classes, that gave the history and predicted future of astronomy and such. One of the things listed for the future, before inter-stellar travel, was a Dyson Sphere. That's why it interested me, because I'd seen it on Star Trek, and wondered if someone was seriously planning one.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:15 am
AstronomyGirl
Endrael

ah. lol. Well when I have a bit of time, perhaps I'll really read through that and try explaining it a bit better to you... if you want.

mrgreen That would be awesome!

... I'm such a geek rofl  

Endrael

Codger

Endrael

Codger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:24 am
LiBu
I saw a poster once, in one of my science classes, that gave the history and predicted future of astronomy and such. One of the things listed for the future, before inter-stellar travel, was a Dyson Sphere. That's why it interested me, because I'd seen it on Star Trek, and wondered if someone was seriously planning one.

I can't see a Dyson sphere being built anytime soon. Our space travel technology is pathetically limited at the moment (though granted, it's a lot better than it was even twenty years ago), and Dyson spheres are phenomenally complex. Certainly too complex to be built by robots the size of a dining room table (at least), and nevermind needing to prepare the necessary materials.

For the interim, I think what we can most likely expect, as far as technology somewhat similar to Dyson spheres, is solar panel satellites that transmit the energy they collect back down to earth via microwave or some such high energy method that's easily converted. The problem with this, though (and effectively demonstrated in Sim City), is the precision necessary in order avoid a catastrophe. There's a reason microwave ovens are shielded, after all. And there's also the scattering effect of the atmosphere to take into account, which would lower the effectiveness even further.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:16 pm
Endrael
I can't see a Dyson sphere being built anytime soon. Our space travel technology is pathetically limited at the moment (though granted, it's a lot better than it was even twenty years ago), and Dyson spheres are phenomenally complex. Certainly too complex to be built by robots the size of a dining room table (at least), and nevermind needing to prepare the necessary materials.

Exactly. It's all just a theory, an idea right now. Who knows if we'll _ever_ be able to do something like this.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

rugged

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:13 am
LiBu
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yep, thats about it.

LiBu
Depends - how do you want it to work?

You basically have a choice of all the differnt methods we're thinking of using already, so....
LiBu
lol, no - they'd literally have to take all The Planets in The Solar System appart to be able to build it.
LiBu
This is remarkably simple to answer, actually - NO.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:16 am
AstronomyGirl
Endrael

Exactly. It's all just a theory, an idea right now. Who knows if we'll _ever_ be able to do something like this.
No, it's pretty much achievable Technologically with what we know of now...

The problem is making something on such a massive scale.

Why have all The Sunlight, anyway?

Surely just a significant portion would be more than enough for anyone?  

rugged

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:23 pm
rugged
AstronomyGirl
Endrael

No, it's pretty much achievable Technologically with what we know of now...
The problem is making something on such a massive scale.
Why have all The Sunlight, anyway?
Surely just a significant portion would be more than enough for anyone?

We really have the technology now? I didn't think we would be able to do it... well then again you did say the problem is making something on such a massive scale, and I interpret that as not having the technology to make it.
*shrugs*

You seem to know alot about Dyson sphere's though. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:06 pm
Wow. That's weird. Yet a very good idea but I doubt (at least for a while) we can create something like that. It would take a lot of materials, time, and most of the materials wouldn't hold up to the heat.  

Aar000n3yTheL000n3y

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:58 pm
Aar000n3yTheL000n3y
Wow. That's weird. Yet a very good idea but I doubt (at least for a while) we can create something like that. It would take a lot of materials, time, and most of the materials wouldn't hold up to the heat.

yea. Not to mention the space to make it. We'd have to make the parts here on Earth and then fly them up into space into place and connect them. It's all possible, but then it woudl take a lot of time and effort, something which most people with money don't want to do. xp  
72: Science & Astronomy Hangout

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff