AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
  • Planetary Technician 150
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:27 pm
Science Help Center

Need some help with science homework? Then you've come to the right place. ^_^ This place is designed for those in elementary (middle) and high school who need help with science homework. I'm done my second year of university (studying astrophysics) now, so I'm really good at science and math and I'll do my best to help.

Please note that I'm not here to do your homework for you. I'll do my best to help you understand how to solve the problem or answer any questions you have or explain stuff to you. Also please don't complain if I can't help. I'm doing my best here.

Also, I'm especially good at physics, but know hardly anything about bio. If you have a biology related question I'm probably not going to be able to help, but if it's physics related then I'm the person to ask. ^_^

So.. hope this is helpful. ^_^ Just post your questions here in the thread and I'll get to them asap. Please don't pm me with questions as I don't want my mail box full of just science help questions.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:28 pm
Reserved  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:30 pm
Reserved  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:58 am
ok... ask away. ^_^  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

icecurb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:42 am
k this doesnt consern homework... just curiosity.... i visited a space and science center at child hood and they said said that the earth is actualy oval... but it spins so fast that it gets shaped into a sphere naturaly due to the speed of the spinning, it made sence i thought but what didnt make sence was if i drop a ball why doesnt it land in france or spain... i hope u can answer this casue it has been bothering me for years  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:56 am
icecurb
k this doesnt consern homework... just curiosity.... i visited a space and science center at child hood and they said said that the earth is actualy oval... but it spins so fast that it gets shaped into a sphere naturaly due to the speed of the spinning, it made sence i thought but what didnt make sence was if i drop a ball why doesnt it land in france or spain... i hope u can answer this casue it has been bothering me for years

Very easy:

1. because the air all around you spins with the earth. When you let fall a ball, it will not fall straight down to the ground, there's a very small deviation, not visible for the human eye if you throw something from about a meter for example. But the friction of the air makes the deviation is not as large as the turning of the air.

2. Another reason is that power of gravity works almost perpendicular on the surface/area (don't know the right English word) of the earth. So it 'pulls' the ball straight down, only leaving the possibility of a very small deviation.  

The_Bartner

icecurb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:12 pm
lol i srry that turned out to be more of a phyics question.. but thanks a bunch  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:38 am
icecurb

lol that's ok.
To simplifly what The_Bartner said, we are on a very small scale compared to the earth, so any effects of the earth would be so small we can't detect them. Also gravity works perpendicular to the surface of the earth, so things will also go straight down from where you drop it from and not somewhere else.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

The_Bartner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:15 am
AstronomyGirl
icecurb

lol that's ok.
To simplifly what The_Bartner said, we are on a very small scale compared to the earth, so any effects of the earth would be so small we can't detect them. Also gravity works perpendicular to the surface of the earth, so things will also go straight down from where you drop it from and not somewhere else.

3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:28 am
icecurb - lol Physics is my speciality, so it's quite alright that it was physics related. Also... did my clearer version help any? ... have you even returned since your last post...?  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

dfhhdghfgfg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:37 pm
not quite sure if this is in the right place but heck ill give it a try.
1)is there really such a thing as a blue and blood red moon?
2)what is that thing called with "a body at rest stays at rest a body in motion stays in motion."

i cant remember the last onefor the life of me.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:10 pm
Quote:

A blue moon is two full moons in the same month, specifically the name for the second full moon in that month. A more technical explanation can be had here.

A red moon is actually dust and other haze in the atmosphere scattering the light coming from the moon, and if you live in an area where there's field burning in the fall, you'll see it a lot. You'll see it most noticeably near the horizon, since the light from the moon is having to travel further through the atmosphere to get to you, and thus is scattered more.

Quote:
2)what is that thing called with "a body at rest stays at rest a body in motion stays in motion."

Newton's... second law of motion? *goes digging* First law. I knew it was one of them. blaugh You can find basic explanations for each of the three here.  

Endrael

Codger

dfhhdghfgfg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:20 pm
HEHE thanks. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:50 am
Endrael
Quote:

A blue moon is two full moons in the same month, specifically the name for the second full moon in that month. A more technical explanation can be had here.

A red moon is actually dust and other haze in the atmosphere scattering the light coming from the moon, and if you live in an area where there's field burning in the fall, you'll see it a lot. You'll see it most noticeably near the horizon, since the light from the moon is having to travel further through the atmosphere to get to you, and thus is scattered more.

Quote:

Newton's... second law of motion? *goes digging* First law. I knew it was one of them. blaugh You can find basic explanations for each of the three here.

lol that's what I was about to say. Nothing left for me to add here.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

dfhhdghfgfg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:26 pm
did anyone see the metor shower about a week or so ago. I couldn't see it from where I live crying . So i was wondering if anyone has any pictures or any idea where i might be able to find some. It was supposed to be a good one.  
72: Science & Astronomy Hangout

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff