[PRP] hedge your bets [ haveli + kedah Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:19 pm
Tuber duty on a cold day was a blessing and, as Haveli sat peeling away while in the warmth of the kitchen, she felt contented. There was something comforting about the steady sound of it all mixing in with the hustle and bustle of folks moving to and fro around and, if she wasn't careful, the young woman might have found herself humming softly as she worked along. Turns of doing this prevented any fear of cutting into a tender finger as she worked along so there was no need to focus too intently, like a youngling just learning how to hold a paring knife.

Fast, yet steady, she peeled one tuber after another and set them aside. The pile to her left still loomed larger than that on her right but the woman paid no mind. Where before she might have complained about the mindless nature of such a task, she now welcomed it for the chance to let her thoughts settle and an empty silence take over. There was entirely too much to think about, with the rising of a Gold still so fresh that gossip coated tongues as thickly as the snow did the peaks, so the silence was welcome.

Admittedly though she wouldn't mind a tiny bit of conversation to pass some of the time. A glance up had her look for the face of any candidates who'd pulled the same lot, or perhaps for a worker who was in a task simple enough to shirk for a brief bit of talking.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:25 pm
To say that Kedah had some experience with peeling tubers would be an understatement. By this time in her life, she was an old hand at it. There was an art to peeling tubers, or so she'd observed - not that Kedah gave even a single care for such things, but there was something in the way that she casually peeled the tuber's skin into a bin that was almost like an art. Then again, she'd always been comfortable with knives.

Sh'han had made sure of that. Glancing over, she noticed Haveli lurking nearby, also peeling tubers. "Hey," she said, casually leaned back on her stool as she made short work of the tuber in her hand. "What's up?" What did you say to someone like Haveli, with whom she'd rarely exchanged more than a few words? Not that she had anything against her, mind. But Haveli seemed to be looking for something at the moment.

houllow

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:52 pm
It was startling how quickly someone met her gaze and spoke though Haveli paid no deeper thought to it. She had been wanting conversation, that was why she raised her head after all, but she hadn't expected it quite so suddenly. And certainly not from Kedah, someone she knew well enough (all candidates knew one another to some extent) yet hardly knew at all. "Ah, nothing really. Just looking to see who else was on duty with me. Glad to see it's you."

Someone she needn't worry about hurting themselves, or going slow enough that she'd need to reach over and take some of their work to try and get the chore done. Lately, or at least in the past few months anyway, she'd found herself helping others once her own portion had been completed, but it wasn't something Haveli specifically wanted to turn into a habit. Just a few small things here and there, but nothing beyond.

Another tuber was finished, though certainly not with the same level of skill that Kedah seemed to be showing. Haveli was a bit curious as to how she'd learned to handle a knife so well and thought about asking, her mouth opening to blurt it out before her brain could process a proper way of saying it. "Impressive work."

Mr Cheri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:31 pm
"Mm. You think so? Not sure many would say the same." With a quick, casual flip of her knife, Kedah gave a slight smirk as she added a tuber to her pile. Catching the knife neatly, she resumed progress on the seemingly endless task of peeling tubers. "Well, I've got a little experience. Weyrbrat, and all that."

Of course, it was more to do with the fact that Kedah's skill with a knife than anything else. Another tuber soon joined the pile, and the Candidate continued with her work. "Hey. You holding up okay?" she asked, aware that things had not gone so smoothly for everyone in the Weyr in the past several Turns. Haveli was definitely on that list.

houllow

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:51 pm
It was nice to get a show while one worked, and Haveli mimed a clap when Kedah did a little flourish between the tubers. It seemed she was correct in assuming the other candidate had skills but it also seemed she had vastly underestimated them. The skills, that is, not Kedah herself, but this was not to be a contest as Haveli continued her own steady peeling. No fancy flips, but maybe she did try a bit harder to cut the skins thinner. Just a little.

"Holding up in what way? Peeling tubers?" She knew sharding well that wasn't what the comment was about, but what was there to talk over? Haveli wasn't going to spill her emotions. "I'm doing pretty well here, though obviously not as much as you. Still, I can't complain since I'm making decent progress. I'd rather peel tubers here all day than do other chores."

As soon as she spoke her finger slipped and the knife drew dreadfully close, though not enough to p***k nor draw blood. Just a slip, and she narrowed her eyes as though to chastise herself for the carelessness. "It's a toss up between this and cleaning the barracks for the new arrivals, really, for what I don't mind doing."

Mr Cheri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:14 pm
Haveli avoiding a question wasn't something new. It wasn't like Kedah had expected that her fellow Candidate would give a straight answer, but... it probably would've been better if she had actually answered the question. "So I guess you're pretty good at defense lessons, right?" All that dodging. With a roll of her eyes, Kedah continued to peel the tubers.

"We're not close. I didn't expect you to actually be honest." Which Haveli obviously hadn't been... and maybe someone with a bit more tact would've let her get away with it. "You're right that I've been better off." For one thing, she hadn't lost anyone recently.

houllow

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:32 pm
The blade nearly slipped again as Kedah struck a nerve this time. Haveli's eye twitched, as did the corner of her lips, though she bit them both back with the practice she'd been hammering into herself over the last Turn. "I'm sorry, I just wasn't sure as to what you were referring to. If you wanted to know about my personal life all you needed to do was ask." Her tone held an edge, though it still bordered on friendly-neutral. No need to get angry, no need to cause issue when she had been the one to initiate conversation first. Starting a fight now would be like pouring hot fat onto a fire. "I've been better, but what is there to say? My sister is dead."

She peeled at another tuber, fingers dangerous close as her attitude simmered. "It's so painfully common though for life at the Weyr, right? No reason to really dwell on it since basically everyone has lost their entire reason for living at one point or another." The tuber was finished far faster than she would have liked and it looked downright awful, though Haveli ignored that and moved on to another. Her gaze had been cast down, but she raised it up to look at Kedah with a thin-lipped smile. "Thanks for asking though." She paused before continuing. "And yes, I am pretty good at the defense lessons. A bit behind however since I was laid up for a time with a leg injury, but still pretty good."

This was not how she wanted the conversation to go and she kicked herself for it. Padmia would surely scold her if she knew the attitude Haveli was taking, as would F'dral and T'nus, but right now she was more snark than actual thought. It was safe to say Haveli was in an entirely different mindset now than she had been when she first said those words at the lesson, and when she'd first heard of her sister's death, but still.

Old habits of biting at approaching hands died very, very hard.

Mr Cheri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:31 pm
And here it was. Not one hint of surprise showed on Kedah's face as she watched Haveli work her way through her tirade. Of course, Kedah wasn't particularly worried. Calmly peeling a tuber, she listened for the moment. When Haveli finished speaking, Kedah set her knife down, and placed her hands, palm down, on the table before her.

"Sure, it's a common story. Hard to point at anyone who didn't lose someone to Thread. Not exactly the point, though." Quirking a brow at the other Candidate, she picked the knife back up and began to peel again. "Poison needs to be drained. Just wondering if you were planning to hold onto it forever." Or, for example, if Haveli planned to ever talk to a Mindhealer.

houllow

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:43 am
And there it was, which Haveli could only sigh inwardly at. She had come to understand by this point in time that it was more or less the Weyr's way of attempting to catch those who were falling through, their "safety net" of sorts for folks who didn't have much at the Weyr. A way to prevent them from falling through the cracks and spiraling out of control. Originally she had viewed such badgering attempts by literally everyone as just that - noise and unwelcome - but now, again, she had come to understand.

Didn't make it any less annoying, but at least she understood.

"I do plan on holding the memory of her for as long as I can, but thanks to Padmia and the mindhealer that I have been working with for nearly a Turn, I don't think I'll carry the pain that long." It sounded awful to dump the name of her "foster mother" in random conversation, like just saying it would mean anything, and Haveli bit at her mind for it. Honestly she'd meant to say that folks had been there for her at the times it got so bad she could no longer continue faking it. but now it probably sounded like bragging.

This conversation had also gone in an entirely different direction that what she had originally hoped, but no matter. She'd wanted to talk to someone even if it was about a topic better avoided, so beggars shouldn't be choosers. "But you're right, and I should extend my sympathies towards any losses you've had as well this Turn." Her peeling on the tuber had returned to calm and measured as Haveli quickly worked to get her mind back to where it needed to be. How was she to face yet another clutch on the upcoming sands if she couldn't even keep her thoughts steady speaking to non-mindreading person? For shame, Haveli.

Just because Arlie was gone now didn't mean her original goal was gone. It had merely....shifted a bit, been redone to suit the path she was now on.

Mr Cheri

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:57 am
"You'll have to forgive me for my concern," Kedah said, raising an eyebrow at Haveli. "The last time we spoke, you said that if you didn't Impress you just wanted to die. I took you at your word." Granted, it had been awhile since then, but... they'd never talked about it. Maybe it wasn't her business. Even so, Kedah was not sorry for checking in.

Just sorry for wasting her own sharding time. Taking the knife in hand, she casually peeled a tuber in one go... which took a little longer than peeling the skin in pieces. It was a good distraction, though. "I haven't lost anyone this Turn." She wasn't going to hold a pity party for losing some former fellow Candidates and acquaintances. Everyone in the Weyr had lost those.

houllow

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:12 pm
Oh yes, she had said something like that once before hadn't she? It was what started her down on being fostered and talking to a mindhealer after all, since they'd threatened to remove her from candidacy unless she got her act together. "At that...time, I didn't believe I had opportunities afforded to me, and was still quite shoved in my own end. Of course now, well, I know that it's hardly true." The words spoken at that time - a massive part of them had been true, but others had been her just biting away as usual. Had it worked out for the best? Haveli was still in debate, but things had changed.

Anyway, it did surprise her that some folks still remembered that. Not that she expected them to forget her acting a total fool and being dismissed during a lesson, but still. She had to admire Kedah for bringing it up when the woman believed most would willingly avoid speaking on it.

"I hope then that the lack of loss holds true for you through Turn's end and beyond." It may have sounded sarcastic in the choice of words, but at least Haveli's tone indicated some form of truth to it. Wishing death on others, wishing loss on them, what a massive waste of time and a surefire way to absolutely destroy any good will. Good will that was likely eroding, if the look on Kedah's face that she could see meant anything.

Ah well, Haveli was never the sort to really want nor need friends. The desire to have amicable enough relationships was there though, as going about life without even a tiny bit of ally or two made this more difficult. Kedah did also get another clap for the single-strand peel. It really was impressive.

Also this conversation was somehow all about her, and Haveli wasn't the sharing type. At all. "Any thoughts on the Flight?"

Mr Cheri

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:24 pm
Uncoiling slightly, Kedah gave Haveli a nod. Good, so she'd actually done some work on herself. Seemed like it had been needed. "You'd be surprised the opportunities that are available to a former Candidate. Even if you don't Impress, it definitely opens doors," she offered, a hint of a grin tugging at her lips as Haveli clapped. Well, it was nice to be appreciated, anyway.

"Mmm. My family is pretty good at staying intact, but I'm not going to pretend they are immune. Too many riders for it to be safe." No one, really, was entirely safe from Thread. Riders were even less so, putting their lives on the line as they did. But she'd caught Haveli's hint - if Haveli was tired of their current line of discussion it didn't bother Kedah.

With a little shrug, she picked up another tuber. "Dunno. It's hard to say what the results might be. I've seen them all over the map. Could be there'll be a big clutch, could be a small one." Generally, brown dragons weren't known for siring large clutches, but look at the clutch Anakumath herself had hatched from. You sure couldn't tell she'd had a brown sire.

houllow

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:47 pm
"I find it amusing that I stood for both of the clutches that these dragons hatched in, and now again to stand at their offspring. Not uncommon at all with how long we stand as Candidates, but something sort of...I'm not sure of the word." Hopefully it would work out better for her in that she'd not be carried out with a massive head wound, but that was neither here nor there. The last two hatchings she attended ended mildly (save the limp she got from the latest here at High Reaches) so hey, third time was a good hoped charm. For no injuries.

She was half-through her unpeeled pile and, following what Kedah had done, perhaps she could give peeling in a single line a go. She wasn't on par (no pun) with her companion in terms of blade skills but at the very least she could attempt a single run. If it worked, she'd keep on keeping on. There were a few hesitations as she went on, but it seemed smooth enough.

"Didn't one of the more recent clutches at Western have a brown sire yet twin golds?" Haveli said recent but that was certainly over a Turn ago, nearly two. It was nearing a full Turn for the Weyrlings here, so just how much could she say recent? "I suppose the thrill of guessing is what just adds to the atmosphere of clutchings."

Mr Cheri

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:59 pm
Come to think of it, Kedah had stood for both of those Hatchings, too. Huh. Well, it happened often enough. "I know what you're saying, but I don't know the word. It's definitely interesting when it happens like this, though. My brother's weyrmates Impressed at Elzebuth's Hatching, and my other brother, K'vah, Impressed during the other Hatching. But not to one of Anakumath's siblings." In a way, it was like they'd come full circle. Maybe this time could be her time, or Haveli's.

"It's like we've come full circle," she said, voicing her inner thoughts. As she peeled one of the last tubers in her pile, she thought over what her companion had said. It was true that there had been some impressive brown clutches. "You know, the way I figure it is... sometimes the clutch has to do with the timing more than the sire. You know? Thread's back, and the dragons are preparing for big losses. Maybe we should be worried." When it came to guessing, she honestly had no idea. "I think before the eggs are hatched it seems like they could be anything, and anybody's. There's a lot of hope at that time."

houllow

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:25 pm
"My sister Impressed to one of Anakumath's siblings, and I was searched to stand for Elzebuth's. I wouldn't know what to do if I had more siblings, haha. Do you have more than just the two brothers?" She probably couldn't have saved more than one sibling, or probably wouldn't have. It had only been Arlie and Haveli had known she could protect one person, but now? No point in dwelling.

As for the idea of bigger clutches due to the rising threat of Thread, she could agree entirely. The ones before Thread returned had been small, if the lessons meant anything, and it would only make sense that dragons would boost up their ranks to fight. "That is worrisome, the numbers, and yes. I've somewhat come to like the touching a bit, the last one at Western was quite nice." It was the only one she could recall where the eggs had all been kind to her, even if when they hatched none had looked her way. Still, small victories that at least her constant attempts to keep her thoughts more focused seemed to be working. "Plus it's always fascinating to think such massive beasts will come out of objects that I'm taller than, at least for a small space in time."

Mr Cheri

[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces