User Image

Aura sighed as she headed back toward the protection of the Coven, a pitted filling in her stomach weighed heavy on her as each step she took drew her closer and closer to the pack. She could feel it in her soul, she was with pups and she did not know how to explain it, although the pack was open to rogue breedings to obtain more numbers in the pack. Aura always had the dream of having a mate and having an amazing family together since pups had always been something she was looking forward to. Perhaps she could become like the pack den mother, where she could look after all the pups. With a smile across her muzzle, she continued on her way.

Help.

Aura stopped in her tracks and jolted as if a beast had pounced in front of her. That was not her voice, she was sure that she had not heard in out loud. Honestly, she was not sure if it even was a voice, more like a feeling of someone in danger.

Unsure if this was just a motherly thing going on, she bounded into a different direction, briskly jogging to figure out what was going on. This feeling was pulling her straight forward and then without warning, pulling to the left where she stopped suddenly. With a huge breath, she looked around and noticed a fallen tree branch. She had not heard this fall but as she looked down she noticed something underneath it.

With this feeling still pulling her towards the object, she took a few steps and noticed it was an owl with closed eyes laying there with its wing partially stuck underneath this fallen branch.

"Hello." Aura calmly said, as to startle the trapped owl. "Are you okay?" With the question asked, the owl barely opened its eyes, settling on her own. She could tell the owl had been stuck here awhile since it seemed almost drained of all its energy.

"You came..." The owl managed to get a few words out before seemingly closing its eyes. "I.. have been.. stuck." With ragged breaths, the Owl started to open her eyes again.

"Stay still my dear, I will free you." Aura quickly spoke up so the owl could feel at peace. Aura could not help but think of her words, you came, it was like the owl has also felt her presence before they noticed each other. Carefully looking around the branch to determine the best way of moving it, she nimbly moved it and used her shoulder to push the little branches away. "Bear with me dear." With a huge push, she lifted the branch just enough for the owl to slowly remove her wing. Not knowing if the wing was broken, Aura laid in front, letting her eyes gaze on the wing.

She had heard of the Coven being bonded to winged creatures, but she had never heard of what that felt like. But this feeling, this pull towards this owl, it could not be explained other than this was what they were talking about.

"Thank you.." The owl managed to get a few words out, but she could tell, no she could feel that darkness was creeping on this poor creature.

"Come with me..." It was not a question, much more of a request as she shifted her position closer to the owl. Seeming to be pleased with Aura's request, she noticed the twinkle in the eye of the owl as it started to give her an answer. "I have been waiting for this moment." Aura quickly looked over the owl, maybe he had heard of this relationship or bond that could be formed and also felt the same way. "I just need rest." This pleased Aura cause at this moment, she could not leave this owl.

"Let's rest here and return to the pack in the morning." Walking up to the owl, she curled around the winged beast the best she could without bumping the unstuck wing. The owl, seemingly relaxed at this moment, rested into her fur as they both started to drift into a deep sleep.

That night, Aura dreamed of flying, while the owl dreamt of running free.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning they both stirred awake, un-denying of the wonderous dreams they both had lived through the night. "How are you feeling?" Aura gazed down at the wing. It appeared to not be broken, just a bit battered, which could easily be nursed to health.

With a quick chat, both determining they could not leave each other, they set off for territories of the Coven. It would be a slow journey back, but they seemed to have easy conversations with any topic that was brought up. Resting here and there, they made their way to the packmates, all welcoming of them.

Aura knew she had chosen the family for her, this pack, her newfound pregnancy, and her bond. This was better than was she dreamed of.

832 word count