[PRP] Venturing (Hel x Regnier)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SilverLutz

Offensive Hero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:13 pm
User ImageHel trotted through the dying trees of the Redwoods with the small group of knights that she had joined at the last moment on their venture, eager to see what being a knight in the Fallguard was all about. She knew they guarded the pack from those who wished ill upon it but other than that there wasn't much to it other than these ventures. Going out, seeing what there was to see, exploring...that was why she wanted to be a knight when she joined. Hel wasn't much of a fighter but she was pretty quick and disarming others with her friendly, excitable attitude.

Still, she was on her best behavior today, wanting to impress her fellow knights. She doubted her title of monster hunter would hold much weight here considering Kale had said he was the only one left before she'd come along, and having just met Lady not long ago she knew it was a title that was slowly growing again. Maybe some day it would be impressive but for now Hel figured they would rather see what she could do than hear stories of her travels.

Finally the group came to rest. Hel grabbed a quick drink at a babbling stream, panting softly from the long run. Moving with a group was fun but exhausting. She was used to traveling at her own pace!  
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:04 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Régnier wasn't "on duty", but that didn't mean he wasn't out and about, patrolling as if he was. He loved nothing more than contributing to the pack in this grand and meaningful way; so, even in his free time he could often be found somewhere about the border. At this moment, the haughty little, blue-eyed wolf-dog was meandering along a stream somewhere near the edge of the Fallguard territory. Up ahead, Régnier spotted other knights, clearly all out on a very real shift of patrol. Having no inhibitions whatsoever, he marched up to them, proud to join his fellow knights.

Chest puffed out, Régnier trotted over next to a striking, striped female who was taking a drink. Slowly, he dipped his own head low and drank from the crisp brook. Raising his head back up, mouth still dripping, he turned to the one beside him and smiled. "Hel, right? Where are you all headed?" He was all business, with his stiff posture, but he meant well. He was a nice hybrid for the most part, but he didn't have all the social cues in the world to aid him in his interactions with others. Instead, he had simply trotted up and declared himself a part of the patrol, without caring what anyone else thought. But that was just Régnier - a part of who he is.

(WC: 226)

SilverLutz

RuIerr

Devoted Cultist

SilverLutz

Offensive Hero

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:23 pm
Hel didn't think much of the presence by her side as she drank. She was moving with a group at the moment so she expected someone to be close by at any given moment. When she finally did lift her head from the stream she was a bit surprised to find the wolf dog beside her was not one she'd set off with, but by his demeanor and scent she knew he was part of the pack and didn't fret. Though, to be quiet honest, she wouldn't have fret much even if he had been a total stranger. She was still fairly new to the pack so she had a lot of names to remember and she took it in stride as he recalled her name while she was left floundering for his.

"That's right," she said with a grin and a wag of her tail. "I'm not sure! We're heading out to do some exploring beyond the edge of the pack, but as far as a specific destination, I'm in the dark." She was sure she'd find out sooner or later, though, and didn't seem too perturbed that she was following blindly.

"I'm afraid your name is slipping my mind," Hel apologized, ears down just a bit, tail wagging quickly but lower than it had been a moment ago. "There's so many new names and faces to remember, I do hope you'll forgive me."

RuIerr

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:01 am
The fact that Hel wasn't sure where she was headed didn't bother Régnier - she was still relatively new, so it wasn't surprising that she didn't have pack territory and protection shifts down pat in her head. He was happy to help out if she needed it - and even if she didn't.

At her visible indication of a bit of shame at not knowing his name, Régnier laughed, not unkindly. "My name's Régnier, but don't worry about remembering it. You'll get there eventually." His smile was warm, a result of his internal happiness at getting to go out on patrol even if it wasn't his time to. "I think I'm going to join you, if that's quite alright." It wasn't a question - more of a statement, really - and it was entirely rhetorical.

The group didn't seem to be moving with any quick pace, so Régnier decided to take the opportunity to get to know the new female. "So... why Fallguard? Why a knight? If you don't mind me asking, that is." He added the last bit hastily, realizing his probing questions might be a bit too forward. His tail wagged slightly as he looked at her with bright eyes, awaiting a response.

(WC: 205)

SilverLutz

RuIerr

Devoted Cultist

SilverLutz

Offensive Hero

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:16 pm
"Régnier," Hel repeated with a smile and a wag of her tail. She was pretty good at remembering names and faces but when tossed into a pack full of so many wolf dogs it was a challenge, even for her. But having a conversation with each member would certainly help her remember and Hel was quite the social butterfly. She knew it would just be a matter of time before she knew everyone by name and scent.

"Oh! I'm sure it would be. The more the merrier." Hel had no idea how patrols worked though she assumed other knights could join as they pleased. One more body just in case something happened would always be a good thing in her opinion.

Hel stretched and shook herself before looking around to make sure the group wasn't moving on yet. It seemed other wolves were still catching their breath and getting a drink, so when the question came she was glad to answer.

"Oh, I met a very nice raccoon who told me about the pack. He brought me right to the border, he's a very helpful fellow. And I chose to be a knight so I could still go off and adventure!" As she spoke she couldn't help her happy paws which were dancing in the dirt before Régnier. It was so hard to hold still when she was excited.

"I'd just finished helping a wolf named Kale hunt some rather extraordinary creatures and I knew I couldn't simply stay in one spot now that I've been all over. I'm not the best when it comes to a fight, but I do so enjoy being able to go where I please." Tilting her head, Hel grinned as she returned the question.

"And you? Were you born here? Why are you a knight?"

RuIerr

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:00 am
Régnier was pleased at her sort of invitation to join the guard group; of course he was wanted to join, just look at him! He was bulky for a Wolfdog, and he liked to think that he was a talented fighter. Perhaps not… the most talented, but maybe the most talented. Why wouldn’t they want him?!

When Hel explained that she had been recruited by one of the pack raccoons, Régnier nodded - that made perfect sense. He was grateful for the work of The Look Rook in helping the pack thrive; they were an odd sort, to be sure, but they absolutely elevated the pack with their presence. And now, because of one of them, Hel was elevating it with her own.

It was impossible not to smile at Hel’s youthful giddiness as she spoke of her origins and adventures. When she mentioned hunting creatures with another named Kale, Régnier’s ears pricked forward, even more alert than usual. “You hunted extraordinary creatures? Such as what?” His tone portrayed nothing but curiosity, but inside Régnier felt his stomach turn. He liked to be the one with all the fantastical adventures - even if he was making them up - and Hel’s appearance and apparent history could threaten that. He needed more intel.

I was born here to two commoners, and sought something more. I view being a knight as the highest honor, and ultimate way to serve the pack.” As he said it, he could feel his chest puff out (which, to be frank, wasn’t an unusual feeling for him). Then he relaxed when his brain refocused itself and he interjected, “But really, I’d love to hear more about this Kale fellow.

{WC: 282}

SilverLutz

RuIerr

Devoted Cultist

SilverLutz

Offensive Hero

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:47 am
Hel was just as happy to talk about her own adventures as she was to listen to Régnier tell her about his history in the Fallguard. It was nice to know that he'd achieved his goal in becoming a Knight even though his parents seemed to have less adventurous goals. She felt that anyone living here aught to be called a hardened wolf dog, though, given how the winters tended to be. She'd joined only recently and the rivers still ran cold with the spring thaw. It would be interesting to see how she held up once the snow returned.

"Oh, sure! I came upon him by chance in the middle of the night," Hel said, tail wagging fiercely as she recalled the memory. "And for a few moons he sent me all over Kells in search of mysterious creatures! Oh, what did he say they were...a kraken was one. A basilisk another. And roc! I didn't actually see any of them," she added, drooping her ears and tail a bit. "But I did find evidence of them. And!"

She perked up even more, recalling her meeting with Lady just after joining the Fallguard. "And I saw a strange horse with a horn protruding from its head! It was curved like a talon and it had scales all over its body and a long tail. Isn't that strange? That was during one of my hunts for Kale but he hadn't told me about that creature so I didn't bother reporting back to him."

It was then that Hel remembered one of the odd new rules within the Fallguard - that Berserkers were to be chased off or attacked on sight. Hopefully Régnier wouldn't ask too many questions about Kale himself given his breed.

RuIerr

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:38 pm
Régnier was rapt. Sure, he'd met his fair share of interesting characters, but this was next level. He had absolutely no inkling of what a kraken, a basilisk, or a roc were, but it seemed like Hel did and that practically put stars in his eyes. It was a bit of a letdown to hear that she didn't actually encounter the creatures, only seek them out, but that was still more than three lifetime's worth of adventure.

Then, Hel continued on to describe a horse-like creature she actually did see, one with a curved horn and scaled body. Régnier cocked his head. "You... sound like you've had a fascinating life. No wonder you want to continue on your adventures! I would like to meet this Kale some day - I'm very well-suited for monster hunting." He said it without any hint of irony, because he truly believed it - he was good at everything and, honestly, it miffed him a little bit that he hadn't gotten to Kale first. He didn't know knowing that Hel had these grand adventures he had not. But in the moment, he was struggling to spin a tale of his own in his mind, much less bring one to life with his words.

"That... that horse sounds particularly peculiar." (Probably because it was the only creature she'd been able to describe.) "Do you remember where you ran into them? They weren't wandering around the Redwoods, were they?" Régnier chuckled a bit at that, thinking it was an absurd idea that a creature such as that would be in a place so plain as the Redwoods.

{WC: 270}

SilverLutz

RuIerr

Devoted Cultist

SilverLutz

Offensive Hero

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:46 pm
"It's all right, I suppose," Hel returned with a little giggle. She'd done other things before settling down in the Fallguard but none were quite so adventurous as her time hunting monsters. She hoped to make lots of fond memories here and it already seemed she had someone who wouldn't mind going out to find fun things to do.

"Ha! Ha ha...yeah...he's a...he's a good guy." Oh dear. Hopefully if Régnier ever did meet Kale he wouldn't try to kill him. Kale wasn't anywhere near where the Fallguard lived and if Régnier was the one seeking him out that might change the rules a little bit, right? Hopefully.

"Oh no, it was in the foothills of the mountains," she added, shaking her head. "Not close to here at all. But if there's one there's probably more, right?" That thought alone was enough to keep her nose twitching and ears alert for smells and sounds that she might otherwise miss.

"Wolves are all over the place so the strange horses must be too! They're probably just really good at hiding. It didn't smell too different from a normal pony so maybe they've been blending in."

RuIerr

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:55 pm
She giggled, and he found the sound pleasant to the ears. He had no designs on this girl, but she was obviously pretty and her laugh sounded like sunlight. But anyway-

Régnier cocked his head just the slightest when he realized she seemed not to know what to say about Kale. A bit of suspicious rose in his brain, and he wondered what made her seem to almost waver.

Then, the thought vanished, and his brain was focused once more on the peculiar horses. "That's a very good point! And it wasn't... it didn't seem hostile? I guess horses tend to be timid creatures by nature, but I wonder... did the horn change things?" Régnier knew that Hel likely hadn't had enough exposure to the creature to have any idea of its temperament, so at this point he was basically just thinking out loud, and he realized that. As long as one was aware they were doing something slightly crazy, that automatically made it less crazy. Or something like that.

{WC: 170}

SilverLutz

RuIerr

Devoted Cultist

SilverLutz

Offensive Hero

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:04 pm
Hel was relieved Régnier let the subject of Kale drop. She'd tell him if he asked directly but she wasn't about to just blurt that little bit of information out. She wanted to stay on everyone's good side since she was new and the fact that she'd been running hither and yon for a Berserker probably wouldn't go over too well.

"I'm not sure. It disappeared before I could get closer," she admitted. "I couldn't believe my eyes at first and didn't even think about moving forward. It was such a strange sight! The horn sort of curved backward though, so I'm not sure how effective it would be in a fight." It could have been for show, to attract a mate, to battle with others of its kind in displays of dominance...or it could be used for defense and she just didn't know it!

"I'm not sure what the scales would be for either. Maybe they're harder to pierce than normal skin?" Hel pondered aloud again. "Maybe it's a horse crossed with a fish!" she added, snickering at her own silly thought again.

RuIerr

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:27 pm
Ah - as he suspected, she hadn't gotten a close look. Still, that was a pretty remarkable accomplishment - he didn't know anyone else who could say they'd had a run-in with such an equine - and he was rightfully impressed.

The horn curved inward? "That's fascinating," he spoke, barely aware that his mouth was moving. Régnier's brain was churning through images of horns and horses and their scales. He barely caught her joke, he was so caught up in his own imagination, but he did manage to hear it and burst out into a hearty chuckle. "Maybe! I really can't think of any better explanation," he admitted.

Régnier's ears swiveled to face the left as he subconsciously noticed that the rest of the group was finished resting up and now preparing to set out. "Ah, it looks like duty calls! Care to walk with me on patrol?" They likely wouldn't be able to gab as easily as they had just now, but it would still be nice to have the company of a new friend when they set out.

{WC: 180}

SilverLutz

RuIerr

Devoted Cultist

SilverLutz

Offensive Hero

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:52 pm
The fact that Régnier laughed at her joke rather than giving her an odd eye was a relief. Hel knew she wasn't everyone's cup of tea and she always had a hard time reading someone who carried themselves like Régnier did. Thankfully he didn't seem put off by her energy nor her silly ways, and the invitation to walk as they patrolled was met with a nod and a little bounce of excitement.

"Sure! Oh, but I'll probably have to be quieter, huh?" She was getting the hang of this whole Knight thing even though she was still pretty new. "We can still talk, I'll just whisper." Hel did just that, lowering her voice as she pounced over the small stream that she'd been drinking from to join up with the rest of the group. She glanced over her shoulder and waited for Régnier to do the same, a grin on her mouth.

"You'll have to tell me about all your own stories now. Surely you've done some interesting things as a Knight! Oh, and tell me about the winters here!"

WC: 1,610  
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:14 pm
Régnier, amused at Hel's youthful excitement, followed along and hopped the stream to gather with the rest of their patrol group. As soon as they reunited, the lot of them set off. Régnier would normally be concerned with where they were headed, but he just sorted floated along, a passenger in all of this, as he spoke with Hel. It was nice to finally make a friend.

When she made a comment about needing to be quieter, Régnier laughed. Yes, probably, for their knightly duties it was better to remain as undetectable as possible.

As she asked about his stories, Régnier found himself at a loss. Their whole conversation he couldn't come up with one thing that was as interesting as what she had to say. So he decided to start making stuff up. "Oh, well, when I was only a youth, I..." and so he wove a tale, spun of thin threads, as he and Hel walked along, only half-focused on the job at hand. Such was the nature of budding friendships.

{WC: 173}
{Total WC: 1,506}

SilverLutz
Fin~!

RuIerr

Devoted Cultist

[Location] The Redwoods

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items