[PRP] I Don't Play Games [Forbidden Oath x Strife]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NymiiNym

Shy Wife

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:55 pm
      User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
      User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

words: 1,190

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:50 pm
      "You."

The word cut through the air, breaking the silent evening Oath had been enjoying. She closed her eyes firmly, rolling them under the lids before she snapped them open and turned around to face him, the source of her problems. Orange eyes bore back into hers and she felt the urge to look away -- avoid the tension that seemed to exude from the two of then.

"Strife, you know my name," she answered, voice low and warm despite the fluttering in her chest. His forehead furrowed, endearing and irritating all at the same time.

"Oath. Forbidden Oath," he sighed, clearly irked by her correction. "I would like to talk to you, if you have the time."

Oath wished he wouldn't, honestly. Ever since he had returned with Melody things had been weird. Oath wasn't knew to this -- she had caught feelings and that was her own fault. But it wasn't just that. He had left -- up and vanished in the middle of the night without so much as a word. She had stuck her neck out for him; argued with Big Bad for days until he was convinced to care for the broken male and tended to Strife's wounds his entire time within the pack. Feelings were secondary, but they had happened, and she wasn't a fool to ignore the times his eyes lingered on her form or trailed after her.

There had been something, and she had thought, even if it led nowhere, he would have had the decency to say goodbye.

But he hadn't, and when he returned he expected more favors. Of course they accepted. Melody was a shell of a wolf and Big Bad couldn't abandon her. Maybe he would have with another wolf, but Melody had been such an exceptional case. She was helpless and empty, and Big Bad had a bleeding heart at times (and then others he'd gladly crush the skull of a wolf, so it was a coin toss).

And then Strife joined the pack. Never apologized. Never came over to explain what happened. Just joined and went about duties as if nothing had happened. It was fine, really. Oath had acknowledged by that point things had moved on. She was annoyed, sure, but that was fine.

Then she caught him watching her at times. The lingering. Her heart felt warm and her chest ignited and Oath hated it. Hated the fact he could come and go and still ignite that part of her she thought was long dead. She had begun to avoid him, and it must have become noticeable.

"Of course. What is it you need?" There was a guilty glee in the tone she offered him; so friendly and open. Honestly, she wanted that. Wanted to move on and treat him like another wolf.

"Things have been weird since I've come back," Strife blurted, sitting on his haunches with a huff. "I would like to clear the air, as this impedes my duties should something go awry."

Ah, yes, it had begun. She nodded, inhaling slowly and tasting the cold air. Bitter. "Yes, you're right," she exhaled, hating the reluctance she felt. She was an adult -- this was an adult conversation. It was important for pack members to get along. "I've been upset, truthfully. You left so suddenly without a word. I figured after what we had been through you'd at least inform me. I've been holding onto it, against my wishes. I apologize."

Strife flicked his ears, narrowing his eyes as he shifted. It was not unknown he wasn't good with feelings, but as his eyes flicked between coldness and confusion Oath held her breath. Oh, it was going to go like that, then?

"You didn't have to take me in," he answered. Oath flicked an ear, head cocking to the side.

"You're right, but I did. I thoug-"
      "I didn't owe anything to you. I healed enough to leave so I did. I wasn't going to stay."

Silence followed as disbelief hung in the air. Strife looked at her, clearly stressed as his ears began to lower. Oath felt her temperature rise, biting back her frustrations. 'Be gentle, you know he struggles.'

"Correct. Of course. I just thought you'd let me know. The reason you healed so well was because of us -- the Crows. No one knew where you went. You suddenly vanished."

"You thought wrong."

She wasn't a perfect wolf by any standard. No one was. She leaned back, nails digging into the earth. No, this was what she got for catching feelings for a wolf unable to handle his own. She had asked for this, honestly, and she was reaping the consequences. "Clearly," she answered, voice low as she regarded him. "I suppose this ends the conversation, doesn't it?"

He shook his head, nodding towards her with a huff. "What did you think happened between us? That we were friends? I never said I was staying, so you can't be mad at me after."

Anger sparked, desperately trying to extinguish as she smiled absently at him. "No, you're right. You've made yourself clear. There was nothing between us -- perhaps next time you need a favor I'll just leave without a word." Venom stuck to every word as she stood. No, this wasn't how it was supposed to go, but when did life ever? Her spine bristled as she fought every urge to add more -- she had said what she needed to. Strife opened his mouth, his own frustration showing on his face.

"That's not what I meant. s**t, Oath, what do you want from me? A song and dance? It's obvious I was grateful for the help."

"No. You spent the entire time spitting and snarling to anyone who approached you and nearly chewed our -- your Alpha's head off whenever he checked in. No one received a single thanks, and then you were gone and returned with, once again, a lack of appreciation for what was done for you. We risked our lives housing a wanted wolf and took in the ex-mate of a vicious and murderous Alpha. So yes, maybe a single thanks would have been appreciated other than telling me you never asked for our help."

She was done -- done fighting with a wolf who didn't want to express himself or hear anyone else in a conversation. He had come to her. He had wanted a fight, it seemed, perhaps to end the tension in his own way or cry out in anger. whatever it was she didn't have to be a part of it. She didn't play these kind of games. He was frustrated he could take it out on a deer or in training, not trick her into a conversation he didn't want to have.

Before he could answer she stood, coldly regarding him. "Excuse me. We have new pups and I would like to get in my check-in for the day. Have a good evening."

With that she turned, ignoring his stumbling attempts to call her back. This wasn't a fight she had wished to start, but she damn well would be glad to end it.

But it hurt.

NymiiNym

Shy Wife

[Pack] The Crows (Redwoods)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas