User ImageUser Image
Cvetko swore he could hear his mother scolding him, as he traveled through the jungle. She would have laughed at the idea of him trying to survive on his own, especially in a place as dangerous as a jungle. She warned him that it was the sort of place where monsters lived and that they would eat a helpless little cheetah like him.

He pushed his way past the fern leaves, trying to appear stronger and braver than he truly was. All he really wanted to do was get away from his mother and find someplace where he could belong. He knew his skills were lacking, but he was ready to learn. As long as he was away from his naggy mother, he knew he would find happiness eventually.

Elsewhere in the jungle, Xipilli was stalking a hare. He had spotted the little guy and decided to catch them. So far the hare hadn’t seemed the wiser and was just enjoying a stroll through the jungle. He got closer and closer, his net ready to be tossed. When he was about to do it, the hare stopped, turned toward him and stuck out their tongue. Quickly Xipilli tossed the net, but the hare was gone and the net was on the ground.

Xipilli slumped to the ground. That was his third failed catch so far today. He had so far had no luck catching any. Soon luck would be on his side though, he thought. After a rest, he got himself back up and was ready to continue his hunt.

The jungle was a confusing place, Cvetko decided. He found that it was easy to get lost since to him all the trees and plants looked the same. It didn’t help that he couldn’t see the sun today. He grumbled to himself as he continued deeper into the forest. As he walked, he felt a tug on one of his hind legs. A vine was wrapped around it. He attempted to pull his leg out, but the more he struggled, the more stuck he got.

“Is there anyone around to help?” He called out, getting desperate, still trying to free his leg.

Suddenly a hare jumped into his sights and looked up at him.

“Can you help me out?” Cvetko pleaded.

“No can do. I just wanted to see what the hollering was about. I have a lion on my trail and I’d rather not get caught by him. Good luck to you though! Hopefully, that lion isn’t hungry for cheetah.” The hare said before hopping back into the ferns.

“Come back?! Don’t leave me here.” Cvetko yelled. But he never saw the hare again.

Xipilli pushed through the ferns, looking for any sign of the hare or any other creature. He cursed to himself, wishing he was better at this catching thing. His net was repositioned on his back, but he wasn’t sure he would actually use it today. Perhaps it was better just to try fresh tomorrow.

Then he heard a voice cry out.

He paused for a second, listening carefully. Was a pride mate in trouble? He thought. Without thinking, he rushed toward the yelling. When he found the source of the yelling, he could not believe his luck. A cheetah was there, ready to be caught.

The moment he saw the lion, Cvetko went silent. The hare had given him a warning. He tugged hard on the vine, hoping that at least he could break it and run away. Before he knew it though, something was on top of him. It was a net or something. He looked at the lion, his ears folded back. Maybe he should have listened to his mother after all and just put up with her.

“Please don’t eat me.” He cried out.

Xipilli made a disgusted face. Why in the world would this cheetah think he would eat him?

“You have the wrong idea. I have no intent on eating you, killing you or harming you. I am just going to bring you back to my home.” Xipilli explained. He walked around the trapped cheetah and examined him. He was on the small side, even for a cheetah. Right now he couldn’t gauge his potential for battle, but Xipilli had a gut instinct that the cheetah would not be cut out for it. That said, he was eye-catching. Maybe he could be used during trading, he thought.

“You will be treated well in my care. In the pride, I can promise you will be taken care of. Fed, protected.” Xipilli explained. He found the vine that was attached to the cheetah and started to cut it with his claws.

The pride sounded too good to be true. Cvetko knew that there must be some sort of catch. However, he wasn’t in much of a position to get out of it. If he tried to escape he would just get even more lost in the jungle. Right now taking his chances with the lion felt like his best bet.

“So uh what do I call you? Do you have a name?” Cvetko asked, tilting his head.

“My name is Xipilli. What is yours?” He asked as he finished up cutting the vine. “There! Your leg should be free now.”

“Cvetko, but you can call me Ko.” He answered. His leg felt sore, but it was nice to have it loose again. “Do you think you can get this thing off me? I am not really in a position to run away. If you lead the way I promise I will stay by your side.”

At this point, it would just be good to get where they needed to go so he could rest for a bit. He wondered about what the pride was like and hoped that it was as good as the lion said.

“Alright,” Xipilli responded. He took the net off of Cvetko and put it on his back. “Before we head out, I want to take a look at your foot and make sure it isn’t injured. We are going to have to travel for a bit and I don’t want you in pain.”

Cvetko hesitated, but let Xipilli look at it. There was a little bit of pain still, but it was enough that Xipilli decided it would be a good idea to protect it from getting worse. Cvetko was silent during the whole process. He had never had anyone take care of his injuries before. His own mother would have told him to walk it off. He couldn’t help but wonder if this was just a taste of what his new pride would be like.

“That should do it. Are you good to walk on it?” Xipilli asked after he was done fixing up Cvetko’s leg. The cheetah nodded. They took the travel back slowly. Xipilli took the time to get to know Cvetko better. It felt good to finally have his own Kipenzi. He would do everything in his power to make sure Cvetko enjoyed his new home and life.

WC: 1,175