Backlog RP

An adolescent lioness with black fur came crashing to the ground. Dust exploded around her and she leapt from its cloud, seething. She charged at her target again, an older black lioness of similar appearance. The two collided, and the younger one was thrown again, toppling twice before her claws dug into the earth and stopped her. She reeled around again, teeth flashing white.

"Sloppy," the older lioness said, her voice cold and monotone. She seemed entirely unruffled by the duel, standing tall and strong, a stark contrast against her daughter who was doubled over and gasping, bristling and enraged. "Have you forgotten your training, Crabatithenniel?" A spark lit the younger female's eyes and she pounced forward with full force.

"Girl," a distant voice called. Who was it? Where...? Ugh, her head.... "Girl," the voice called again, more insistently this time, and more clearly. "Are you--...?" Crabanniel felt a poke in her side and leapt up with a snarl. A high-pitched shriek echoed through the cave, followed by a rumble of thunder. It was storming and the lioness found herself in a dark cavern, but she wasn't alone. A black lion with green spider markings stood with his back against the wall. He looked pathetic. The cavern was nearly pitch black, and it was hardly dry--father back, maybe, but Crabanniel was surrounded by puddles where she lay. She couldn't remember how she'd gotten there. The thought was disconcerting, but she didn't let it show. She eyed the male for a few moments longer and caught her breath, but didn't look any more friendly for it.

"You'd better stay the hell away from me," she growled. The male swallowed and nodded, his body still petrified in place.

"Of course," he said, evidently in full agreement. He didn't relax in spite of the fact. His body remained tense, which kept Crabanniel's body tense in response. If he attacked her, he wouldn't live to regret it.

"Who are you?" Crabanniel demanded.

"Buibui'busu," the male responded, seeming wary. "And you are...?"

"None of your damn business. What were you doing just before I woke up? Did you touch me? Try to hurt me?"

"I was only--trying--to--ehm...." the male stuttered, motioning helplessly.

"Trying to what?" the lioness snapped. To her mild surprise, the male didn't cower further, but sneered slightly.

"To figure out if you were dead or not," he murmured. He appraised her with disdain. Crabanniel deepened her own look of spite. Resentment burned in her eyes.

"I'm not. Dead," she said.

"I'm not done," the adolescent gasped. She tried twice to get to her paws, but collapsed each time.

"You are," her mother said. "Cool down in the river. We will continue tomorrow. We will try a lighter regimen--"

"LIGHTER?!" Crab roared, suddenly finding the strength to get to all four of her paws. "What part of that sparring match showed you I need a lighter regimen?!"

"Everything," Carnadhiel answered without hesitation. Crab balked. She stood gasping for several more moments, eyes burning into those of her level-headed mother's.

"Again," Crabanniel said. Her mother stared blankly. "I said AGAIN!" After a pause of recognition, Carnadhiel rushed forward.

"Couldn't you find someplace else to wait out this piss of a storm?" Crab grumbled, wincing as her head began to throb.

"Actually," the male began, putting a limp paw to his chest, "you're the one who should've found someplace to wait out this, ugh...whatever you called it," he finished with clear disgust. "This is my den." He regarded her as though she were someone low-born, some dirt on the ground, no different from the puddles around her. She ignored it for once. Her head hurt too much to deal with stupid drivel, let alone stupid drivel from a male.

"Whatever, I'll be gone soon enough," she said.

"I'd prefer you leave now, though..." he drawled eerily, "...you're getting your, ehh..." he gestured vaguely, "female germs everywhe--" A blur of motion and force cut him off.

"WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?!" Crabanniel roared at the top of her lungs, paws pinning the lithe male's throat to the wall. He choked with sheer panic, writhing. "SAY THAT AGAIN, I DARE YOU YOU LITTLE--AUGH--ugh--" she backed off with a heavy toss of her head and buckled. The male fell to the floor upon his release, sputtering, gasping and shuddering. He spit blood and his gums paled at the sight. He had bitten his tongue when he'd been pinned. His breaths quickened and he turned to see the lioness curled on the ground in agony, paws clutching desperately at her head. He didn't feel an ounce of pity. But he saw his chance well enough. With almost no noise, the male rose to his paws and padded out of the cave, choosing to brave the storm and find another temporary shelter than stay in that volatile female's presence for a moment longer. Casting her one last derisive look, the black and green male stepped swiftly out of the cave and then out of sight.

"Your tolerance for defeat is too low," Carnadhiel said. Her expression was blank as usual. She revealed nothing in her gaze. "We'll work on it, don't worry. But enough for today." She stepped towards her daughter who had been reduced to an exhausted, shuddering lump on the ground. Her daughter gave no response. Carnadhiel moved closer and used a paw to roll her daughter over. Crabatithenniel's face was twisted and tear-streaked, teeth clenched and eyes screwed-up. Something in Carnadhiel's expression changed--barely noticeable, and only to someone who knew her very well. The paw that had rolled her daughter over pressed against her face and smoothed her hair out of her eyes, stopping at her temple and resting there.

"You have improved greatly these past few weeks, Crabatithenniel," Carnadhiel said. "I am proud to be your mother."

"Mother," Crabanniel sobbed, muffled by the heavy rain. "Mother...Mother..." she clutched her head tighter and smeared her face against the floor. Thunder rumbled and roared softly outside as the storm continued.

"Mother...!"