"Pleasant evening," Lilith remarked, something casual about her air, but her eyes were cold as ice.

"Not really," Crabanniel replied, her gaze hard. She didn't like small talk. She didn't like being fake, either. "Skip the pleasantries, Lilith--literally," she said.

"Of course," the serpent smiled, coiling herself with ease. "Well, then, I'll just say...you and I haven't always gotten along, have we?" she asked, though it was more of a statement than a question.

"Pff, that's an understatement," the lioness scoffed. She paced steadily, not wanting to mirror the snake's sense of ease, not wanting to sit beside her as though they were two friends having a relaxing conversation before dinner.

"So," the serpent drawled in a hiss, "I was just thinking we should...well, put aside our differences," she said, the last bit sounding as though she were quoting something. Crab rounded on her, hair bristled.

"Do you mean it or not?" she snapped.

"Of course," Lilith answered.

"What for? Why should we?"

"For Vito, obviously," the snake replied. Crabanniel blanked. Her mind worked over what the snake had just said, worked over the implications and the consequences. Was she genuine? What were the upsides and the downsides of all this? That worm was always plotting something. But the lioness had to admit, they both did have a vested interest in Vito. Maybe Lilith was being genuine after all? Maybe it really was for love of Vito?

"Do you mean that?" Crab asked steadily.

"Yes," Lilith answered, still smiling.

"Wipe that smile off your face," Crab ordered. Lilith obliged. The two females continued to stare at one another for several moments before Crab finally said, "Fine. You stay out of my hair for Vito's sake, and I'll stay out of yours."

"Well," Lilith simpered, "my scales, rather." Crabanniel didn't laugh.

"Fine," she said. With that, she gave a curt nod as though sealing a deal, and then walked off. Lilith watched her until the lioness had vanished from sight.

And then she sneered.