Dapper Codger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:45 pm
Name: Asa
Stage: Prentice
Race: Ice
3 Base Traits: Refined, Observant, Distant
Personality:

Refined
Asa has been innately aware of his elevated social status, and what is expected of him since his the day of his birth. Due to this upbringing, he's become a very proper, dignified young man. Even if his interactions outside of the home have been minuscule at best, Asa tries his best to live up to the rules of propriety and politeness. He walks as straight as he can without showing much haste (or any discomfort, should it be a 'bad' day), makes direct eye contact, and makes a point to use proper titles at all times. He absolutely refuses to call anyone by their given name, at least, until a relationship has been established between them where he feels comfortable doing so.

Observant
Due to extended periods of isolation and a bored mind, Asa has spent much of his time watching others. More often than not he will sit by the window in his room, watching the passerby on the street below while imagining what their lives must be like. "That one there, the girl with the pink ribbon? She's on her way to visit her grandmother who broke her leg last week..." Sometimes he won't even vocalize his musings; he'll simply watch, and work on various projects. His mother calls him strange, but his father has noticed what a keen eye Asa has. In some aspects it brings about great pride, since it shows that his son has a worthwhile mind, but most of the time Tikaani is quick to point out how strange it is. What normal boy would just sit back and watch people all day?

In his mind since he cannot live he can watch. And since Asa does a great deal of watching, he's come to notice when something has happened in the world outside of his home, even before his father returns to tell them of it. (ex. if a festival is happening he may see brightly colored costumes, and see street dancers before his father has a chance to say anything). Being so sharp has also helped him navigate his parent's moods; he can tell when his mother is receptive to talking with him just by the chair she chooses when coming into his room, or when his father would rather be alone, just by the stiffness in his shoulders.

Distant
While Asa is by no means unsociable or unkind, he has been known to distance himself from interacting with others. He typically gets so caught up in his own thoughts that he can sometimes come across as uninterested, which tends to irritate others (more so his own kin).

In all honesty he's uncomfortable forming bonds and blending with social circles because of his upbringing. Being sickly meant chances to spend time with others were limited, and the constant overwhelming threat of death formed a sort of reclusive attitude. Generally the gatherings he's brought are beyond tiring; not because of the physical stress, but all of the mental exhaustion brought on by needless drama.

Asa's been labeled as 'aloof' by his peers, among other less pleasant words, and while it hurts he doesn't mind it as much. He's been picked on, marked for death, and talked about as if he wasn't there since birth. At this point the distancing is at least something he's able to choose for himself, which makes it a little nicer.

Description: Asa is a fairly lanky boy with a sickly look to him. His crystals loop around his neck, collar bones, and upper torso like a layered necklace/choker combo. He has a short hairstyle, with one side being longer than the other and slightly obscuring one side of his face with hair.

Skin ||
Eyes ||
Crystals ||
Hair ||

Clothing: Something roughly like the first ref, with a "fancier" look to it, ditch the high collar under shirt and make the collar itself lower/more open to show some of his crystals. If the outer coat could have bell sleeves that would be awesome. (Though they needn't be that big, mostly artist's choice on size)

(Feel free to use this as a ref! Image courtesy of Scar <3 )

Accessories: x with a jewel replacing the diamond pendant, as well as jewels being used for the studs. All other jewelry is up to the artist; he's a rich Zenan kid, fluff him up.

History:

Asa was born and raised in Zidel, Zena. His father is a wealthy merchant, while his mother claims to be a proper 'house wife'. For over a decade the pair tried in vain to have a child worthy enough to carry their bloodlines with little success. Several miscarriages shook the pair's foundation, pulling the loosely bound couple further apart, but all it took was one viable pregnancy to bring them back together.

That is, until the babe actually arrived.

Once Asa was born the pair immediately noticed how sickly he was. The infant's breathing was labored, with a notable rasping quality. It took the healer several hours to assist the babe, and when he finally stopped gasping for air the couple were immediately at odds. Tikaani blamed Geir for their child's problems, where as Geir cursed his wife's defective womb. In their eyes it was obviously the fault of the other, and for a moment, the pair contemplated abandoning him outright. Leaving Asa behind seemed the best course of action, but as Tikaani reminded her husband, their family was expecting a child; they had to give them something.

Frustrated and feeling cheated, the couple presented the world with their 'precious' son. In front of others they were a nearly perfect family; a blissful father, a doting mother, and...an ailing child. Behind closed doors the two barely acknowledged the fact he existed. Asa would often find himself being brushed off by his parents, who only seemed to address him when he wasn't living up to their expectations.

"Stay away from the window, you'll catch a chill...What do you mean, he's failing his studies? What do you do all day, boy?..."

Geir and Tikaani made it clear from Asa's earliest days that he was there for one reason and one reason only; to marry well, and have an heir before dying. Because surely whatever disease ailed him would never let up, and how could he possibly survive into adulthood with malformed lungs?

At first this harsh view of things kept his 'bad' days far more numerous than the 'good'. Asa simply didn't have the will to live. He was never allowed outside, where he could see children playing and citzens going about their days. More often than not he fevered, with barely enough air in his lungs to remain conscious and the coughs would keep him awake well into the night.

One of his healers, an older woman named Tyrra, began to stay with the family. Her room was next to his so that if he were to have an attack in the middle of the night she would be able to get to him quickly. At first Asa thought little of the change, until Tyrra began to tell him stories. She began to sit by his bedside to tell him legends, folk tales and stories from foreign lands. She told him grand adventures of roaming knights, dastardly villains, and maidens so fair they may have been goddesses.

Tyrra is the sole reason Asa began to get better. Her treatments helped his breathing, but mentally Tyrra's stories brought him out of the shadows. She made him believe that anything could happen; that one day he might be able to leave his house and see the world. That one day he might have a lover who cared about what he had to say instead of the money he would one day inherit.

From that day forward he became a sort of 'odd' child, who would always speak of distant worlds and fairytales. At first his mother assumed it was the fever, but even when she learned it was Tyrra's influence Tikaani did nothing about it. Whatever kept her son alive long enough to carry out his 'mission' would be tolerated; within reason. Any talk of leaving their home, even for a stroll down the street, was quickly dismissed.

But at least Asa could have his own little paradise.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:03 pm
Painted Moose

Here's some questions - don't feel like you have to straight up answer them, but I didn't know if this would give you food for thought on his personality/day to day life.

You mentioned he is observant - is he good at reading people? Or is he more observant of details of his surroundings? Or something else?

He seems to like stories, does he like reading/creating his own? Is he a writer; does he daydream, or does he tend to stick to current myths/folklore and simply enjoy them, or dream about adventuring to distant places himself?

Has Asa ever been able to sneak out, and if so has he gotten in trouble for it? Or has his sickness made him listen to his parents and stay indoors?

His parents seem to be pretty important people, does he have to attend any sort of gatherings/social events, or is he left at home for the most part?  

scarlett arbuckle
Crew

Painted Moose

Dapper Codger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:12 am
Scarlett Arbuckle

Quote:
You mentioned he is observant - is he good at reading people? Or is he more observant of details of his surroundings? Or something else?

I'd say it's mostly the little details of his immediate surroundings. He can see little ticks in people, but he's not very good at deciphering what they are unless it's outright pity or irritation, which are the two he's most familiar with. He would much rather be watching the clouds for changes in weather, or looking for foreigners in the street, since their presence usually denotes warmer weather. (at least, he thinks; who would really travel to Zena in the winter?)

He'll get better at the 'people' aspect of it as he grows. Right now he just doesn't spend enough time around others and the variety of emotions people can try to hide to really get a handle on it.

Quote:
He seems to like stories, does he like reading/creating his own? Is he a writer; does he daydream, or does he tend to stick to current myths/folklore and simply enjoy them, or dream about adventuring to distant places himself?

This boy is a straight up dork. I can easily imagine him sitting around his room, talking to himself as he watches others on the street, giving little voices and generally being a concern to his parents. He adores folk tales and any sort of mythos he can get his mind wrapped around. So much so that it has a direct influence on what he imagines in the lives of others. If he sees an adventurer with a sword strapped to their back he may compare them to a stalwart hero from one of his tales, or even a dastardly villain.

He doesn't have the confidence himself to make any sort of story, but he can recite them like they've been ingrained in his mind. Granted, there is very little call for a 'skill' like that, and most of the time it stays between him and whoever is deemed 'expendable' enough to spend time with him, but it keeps him occupied, all the same.

Quote:
Has Asa ever been able to sneak out, and if so has he gotten in trouble for it? Or has his sickness made him listen to his parents and stay indoors?

For the most part he's listened to his parents and stayed indoors. During his childhood he was just too sick to even attempt a 'grand escape', but there was one time in his early teen years that he got a little cocky.

His Uncle visited and for his thirteenth birthday, the man wanted to treat his nephew to a day out. Of course it was frigid and of course they didn't' tell his parents, so when the two returned home later in the evening his parents were furious. He'd been bundled up so tight that he wasn't at risk for more than a few sniffles, but they didn't see it that way and the enjoyment of being outside was quickly doused in a cacophony of fear.

Quote:
His parents seem to be pretty important people, does he have to attend any sort of gatherings/social events, or is he left at home for the most part?

Any time Asa is 'healthy' enough to attend a gathering, he's expected to attend, more so now that he's entering a marriageable age. He's perfectly behaved, very well put together, and for all intensive purposes looks the part of an acceptable heir. But looks aren't everything, and gossip tainted his reputation long before now.

For the most part it's a chance for his parents to show him the life he could be living if he weren't so messed up. He both hates it, for that reason, and...almost likes it. It's a chance for him to get out, which is rare, but Asa has lied in the past about feeling sicker than he actually is to get out of going.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:35 am
Oooo Moose~ I love. OwO

I think he's all set!  

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

Suhuba
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:01 pm
Painted Moose

Alright he looks good to go!

Here is your journal. Your quest is coded below for your convenience.

[size=11][b]Name:[/b] Asa
[b]Stage:[/b] Prentice
[b]Race:[/b] Ice
[b]Gender:[/b] Male
[b]3 Base Traits:[/b] Refined, Observant, Distant
[b]Personality:[/b]

[i]Refined[/i]
Asa has been innately aware of his elevated social status, and what is expected of him since his the day of his birth. Due to this upbringing, he's become a very proper, dignified young man. Even if his interactions outside of the home have been minuscule at best, Asa tries his best to live up to the rules of propriety and politeness. He walks as straight as he can without showing much haste (or any discomfort, should it be a 'bad' day), makes direct eye contact, and makes a point to use proper titles at all times. He absolutely [i]refuses[/i] to call anyone by their given name, at least, until a relationship has been established between them where he feels comfortable doing so.

[i]Observant[/i]
Due to extended periods of isolation and a bored mind, Asa has spent much of his time watching others. More often than not he will sit by the window in his room, watching the passerby on the street below while imagining what their lives must be like. [i]"That one there, the girl with the pink ribbon? She's on her way to visit her grandmother who broke her leg last week..." [/i] Sometimes he won't even vocalize his musings; he'll simply watch, and work on various projects. His mother calls him strange, but his father has noticed what a keen eye Asa has. In some aspects it brings about great pride, since it shows that his son has a worthwhile mind, but most of the time Tikaani is quick to point out how [i]strange[/i] it is. What normal boy would just sit back and watch people all day?

In his mind since he cannot [i]live[/i] he can [i]watch[/i]. And since Asa does a great deal of watching, he's come to notice when something has happened in the world outside of his home, even before his father returns to tell them of it. (ex. if a festival is happening he may see brightly colored costumes, and see street dancers before his father has a chance to say anything). Being so sharp has also helped him navigate his parent's moods; he can tell when his mother is receptive to talking with him just by the chair she chooses when coming into his room, or when his father would rather be alone, just by the stiffness in his shoulders.

[i]Distant[/i]
While Asa is by no means unsociable or unkind, he [i]has[/i] been known to distance himself from interacting with others. He typically gets so caught up in his own thoughts that he can sometimes come across as uninterested, which tends to irritate others (more so his own kin).

In all honesty he's uncomfortable forming bonds and blending with social circles because of his upbringing. Being sickly meant chances to spend time with others were limited, and the constant overwhelming threat of death formed a sort of reclusive attitude. Generally the gatherings he's brought are beyond tiring; not because of the physical stress, but all of the mental exhaustion brought on by needless drama.

Asa's been labeled as 'aloof' by his peers, among other less pleasant words, and while it hurts he doesn't mind it as much. He's been picked on, marked for death, and talked about as if he wasn't there since birth. At this point the distancing is [i]at least[/i] something he's able to choose for himself, which makes it a little nicer.

[b]Description:[/b] Asa is a fairly lanky boy with a sickly look to him. His crystals loop around his neck, collar bones, and upper torso like a layered [url=http://fashionztrend.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Layered-Necklace-SET-for-womens-8.jpg]necklace[/url]/choker combo. He has a [url=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-NVhXkgajZzQ/VJD3tZ1InaI/AAAAAAAAD8Q/NFoi0uNMte4/s1600/Undercut+women's+short+haircut.jpg]short[/url] hairstyle, with one side being longer than the other and slightly obscuring one side of his face with hair.

Skin || [color=#cdeef0]█[/color]
Eyes || [color=#fffc9e]█[/color]
Crystals || [color=#69759f]█[/color]
Hair || [color=#2f4773]█[/color]

[b]Clothing:[/b] [url=https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/16/23/23/162323915e4370e2e843b5beae1725d8.jpg]Something[/url] roughly like the first ref, with a "fancier" look to it, ditch the high collar under shirt and make the collar itself lower/more open to show some of his crystals. If the outer coat could have [url=https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/07/29/d0/0729d0e8c506cf9eb33c2bd2cb46d686.jpg]bell[/url] sleeves that would be awesome. (Though they needn't be that big, mostly artist's choice on size)

(Feel free to use [url=https://i.imgur.com/4iImK10.png]this[/url] as a ref! Image courtesy of Scar <3 )

[b]Accessories:[/b] [url=https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/fd/bc/06/fdbc06c1a7496b8955edf753228d935a.jpg]x[/url] with a jewel replacing the diamond pendant, as well as jewels being used for the studs. All other jewelry is up to the artist; he's a rich Zenan kid, fluff him up.

[b]History:[/b]

Asa was born and raised in Zidel, Zena. His father is a wealthy merchant, while his mother claims to be a proper 'house wife'. For over a decade the pair tried in vain to have a child worthy enough to carry their bloodlines with little success. Several miscarriages shook the pair's foundation, pulling the loosely bound couple further apart, but all it took was one viable pregnancy to bring them back together.

That is, until the babe actually arrived.

Once Asa was born the pair immediately noticed how sickly he was. The infant's breathing was labored, with a notable rasping quality. It took the healer several hours to assist the babe, and when he finally stopped gasping for air the couple were immediately at odds. Tikaani blamed Geir for their child's problems, where as Geir cursed his wife's defective womb. In their eyes it was obviously the fault of the other, and for a moment, the pair contemplated abandoning him outright. Leaving Asa behind seemed the best course of action, but as Tikaani reminded her husband, their family was expecting a child; they had to give them [i]something[/i].

Frustrated and feeling cheated, the couple presented the world with their 'precious' son. In front of others they were a nearly perfect family; a blissful father, a doting mother, and...an ailing child. Behind closed doors the two barely acknowledged the fact he existed. Asa would often find himself being brushed off by his parents, who only seemed to address him when he wasn't living up to their expectations.

[i]"Stay away from the window, you'll catch a chill...What do you mean, he's failing his studies? What do you do all day, boy?..."[/i]

Geir and Tikaani made it clear from Asa's earliest days that he was there for one reason and one reason only; to marry well, and have an heir before dying. Because surely whatever disease ailed him would never let up, and how could he [i]possibly[/i] survive into adulthood with malformed lungs?

At first this harsh view of things kept his 'bad' days far more numerous than the 'good'. Asa simply didn't have the will to live. He was never allowed outside, where he could see children playing and citzens going about their days. More often than not he fevered, with barely enough air in his lungs to remain conscious and the coughs would keep him awake well into the night.

One of his healers, an older woman named Tyrra, began to stay with the family. Her room was next to his so that if he were to have an attack in the middle of the night she would be able to get to him quickly. At first Asa thought little of the change, until Tyrra began to tell him stories. She began to sit by his bedside to tell him legends, folk tales and stories from foreign lands. She told him grand adventures of roaming knights, dastardly villains, and maidens so fair they may have been goddesses.

Tyrra is the sole reason Asa began to get better. Her treatments helped his breathing, but mentally Tyrra's stories brought him out of the shadows. She made him believe that anything could happen; that one day he might be able to leave his house and see the world. That one day he might have a lover who cared about what he had to say instead of the money he would one day inherit.

From that day forward he became a sort of 'odd' child, who would always speak of distant worlds and fairytales. At first his mother assumed it was the fever, but even when she learned it was Tyrra's influence Tikaani did nothing about it. Whatever kept her son alive long enough to carry out his 'mission' would be tolerated; within reason. Any talk of leaving their home, even for a stroll down the street, was quickly dismissed.

But at least Asa could have his own little paradise. [/size]

◈ Character Quests

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff