It seemed as though the young leopardess that Hadaya had been taking care of over the last few hours was calming herself and, more happily, warming to his company. She was no longer visibly afraid of him, at least, and she seemed to be less tense around Ngome as well. Rangi was still a bit of a wild card, with his attempts to be charming and impressive, but she simply gave him nervous looks or averted her gaze from him entirely and it stopped his advances for short intervals. Clearly, his abilities with females were not as top notch as he was always telling Ngome, though the passive male lion made no comment about the failures just yet.

Once they were alone and back on the road, travelling somewhere else when Rangi decided to brag or show off again… that would be when Ngome remembered these failures.

Just thinking about it made the impassive lion smirk a bit, but only when no one was looking at him. He preferred for others to think he was not capable of smiling or feeling amused at all, really. He was just used to a quiet existence, before getting sucked into this weird adventure with his rainbow maned companion.

Hadaya was sitting with Ume protectively, as if he did not trust Rangi either, and the rainbow maned lion looked at Ngome with a frown on his usually upbeat face. Ngome titled his head expectantly, knowing the other would explain his bad mood without being prompted verbally. He had learned a long time ago that he was meant to play the part of a silent listener, which he was glad to do. It was when the stories were done and they wanted advice or guidance that he faltered a bit. He was not much for offering wisdom.

“I don’t understand why she doesn’t want to talk to me. I’ve been friendly, haven’t I? And not in my… usual way. I know you all think I’m just trying to flirt with her, but I can see that her heart belongs to someone else and I would never insert myself between something like that! Love is a sacred thing! I just… like to enjoy myself and the company of others. But only when they want to, as well. I can do that without any funny business! So why, then, won’t she even talk to me?”

Ngome listened, glancing over at Hadaya. Rangi was speaking loud enough to be heard by the other two, rather than at a private conversation level, and he was doing so on purpose. Hadaya shrugged his shoulders, and Ume watched the two of them with her ears down. Ngome noticed the guilty look on her face and he frowned before looking sharply at Rangi.

“You should behave yourself.”

“Ngome! I’m hurt! Of course I’m behaving myself! As I just said-“

“No, right now. You know what you’re doing. Just give it a rest already.”

Rangi looked startled, then flicked his gaze over to Hadaya and Ume. Ume was not looking at him, frowning at the floor sadly, but Hadaya had fixed him a very firm, disapproving look. He shrank a bit, thinking maybe he had pushed things a little too far. He never meant any harm but, as he often found out too late, he was very good at making things awkward. He sighed, puffing up his chest and moving toward the other two. Ngome followed a few paces behind, keeping his eye on the smaller lion just in case he put his paw in his mouth again.

Rangi bowed his head in front of Hadaya and Ume, taking a breath.

“I… apologize. I’m not used to… well. I suppose I have been rude…”

“No, it’s my fault,” Ume said suddenly, though she did not pull her gaze up from the ground. Her ears were plastered back against her head, as if they were not actually designed to perk up. She always looked sad, and it was a more natural position for them than alert and listening. She never wanted to give the wrong, and likely rude, impression. She was taught to always be submissive and silent. It seemed she had failed completely and caused a lot of trouble. “I should never have…”

“Ume,” Hadaya interrupted patiently, “you have nothing to apologize for, young one. Honestly, we’re all just a little awkward sometimes. I know that feeling all too well: it’s not something you have to feel bad about. If you didn’t want to talk to him, you didn’t have to, and he should have understood that. Right, Rangi?” He looked at the other lion pointedly. Clearly, there was only one correct answer to this.

“O-of course.”

Hadaya smiled and nodded calmly, and at once Rangi felt relieved. Why, he was not yet sure, but he got the feeling that this older, but friendly male was not the type to stay mad or act out in any sort of anger. If he even felt it. Hadaya, for his part, felt things were looking up.

“Thank you all for helping me. You’ve all been very nice, honestly, and I’m happy to have met you all. I’m sorry for all the trouble… I should probably go and look for Baik. I hope he’s not too worried. I just want to find him and go back to our traveling…” Ume sighed, looking up at last. She looked at Hadaya for help, who nodded his head.

“How about I show us all to one of the larger watering holes around this pride’s borders? If he is looking for you, he will likely go there. After all, it’s where many lions and other creatures come to gather or meet up. And there we can all part ways. I have to return to the pride, and I’m sure our two roaming play boys have somewhere to be, as well.”

Rangi smiled, almost saying something on instinct, but actually checked himself and shifted his expression to a more genuine one rather than a smarmy grin.

“We will gladly keep guard over you, lady Ume, until your mate arrives. I promise, no funny business. Ngome is a very good guard, and will keep you safe.” Ume smiled at Rangi and nodded her head, appreciative. Ngome, for his part, agreed without any one really asking him for his opinion.