[Oba] What Child Is This? [Kedean | Finn]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Miss Chief aka Uke

Rainbow Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:18 pm
Kedean knew that the exact arrangement he and Finnufarinel had between them could not last indefinitely—as much because Kedean could not remain doing what he was indefinitely as anything else. Of course, Finn was also a stray of ‘questionable’ motives, but Kedean found he did not care about that so much as many might. There was very little Kedean had worth stealing, after all.

But he did need a change of pace.

So, as he finally began asking around for other work opportunities, and when he did manage to land a promising lead, he made sure to include mention of the ‘friend’ he would be bringing along with him. A ‘mage’ seemed to be sufficient description for the time being, since it was the most respectable title Kedean could think to give him that was still honest. At least after a bath, a haircut, and a change of clothes, the boy looked human. Arguably still half wild, but he didn’t smell, and you could see his actual skin tone.

It was an improvement, in any case. Kedean simply hoped it was enough of an improvement that between that and his raw ability, someone would take the bet in hiring him on. Kedean couldn’t explain fully why he was doing so much as he already was, but from his own perspective, all that seemed to matter was that this felt like the right action to take.

Though he only loosely worshiped the Oban gods, his faith in a more general sense was strong, and regardless of exterior purpose, he would feel most fulfilled and at ease with his morals if he did what he could when he could. And Finn, after their initial handful of days together, seemed to be easing up around him—at least in some minor fraction, to the extent he seemed to trust Kedean wasn’t actually out to kill him, if nothing else.

Lord Xharash owned a fleet of ships which made frequent travel up and down the coast of Oba and Matori—and now, on occasion, the trek to Yael. Bahlthasan Zaados was a private ex-merchant, former-captain, who had been hired on by the lord to manage virtually all tasks actually relating to the business. He did not own the ships, but he oversaw everything from the selection of captains and trade routes, to working with customs officers, striking deals and compromises, and determining where, when, and how to expand into new business.

As they approached the building where they would meet with him, Kedean felt the faintest stir in his chest. Anyone else might have dubbed it anxiety. Kedean thought it peculiar, but easily ignorable, and glanced down to the boy beside him instead.

“I have worked for this man before,” he said. “I think your magic is enough to make an impression if necessary, though I would advise…not saying more than you need to. If this is successful, you will be eating every day. Better than you have even these days with me, as my coin is scarce now, but will improve once I have real work of my own again.”  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:45 pm
The Only Black Uke

Finn was stagnating.

There was only so much time one could spend taking the occasional odd job and loafing around another man's home before the mind started to fester. How much longer was Kedean going to house him, especially if he couldn't land steady work? He'd been promised an offer, but since said work had yet to rear it's head...Finn became anxious. The teen was at a point in his life that inactivity meant lost profit, and that in itself meant lost meals. Some aspects of Kedean's current occupation allowed Finn to be an accomplice, but more often than not he was excluded, leaving the boy to his own devices during the better part of the day.

A 'good' house guest would have assisted in cleaning, and maybe had a meal or two ready when the occupants returned home.

Finn, however, spent the entirety of that time outdoors.

After the first time of breaking into the pantry and subsequently raiding it he knew without a doubt that a repeat offense would see to his expulsion. Honestly, though, what the hell did Kedean expect him to do? He practiced his magic as much as he could under the hot Oban sun, before succumbing to the inevitable nap. His body was still in a near constant state of recovery; years of barely getting by had left their toll, and Finn slept more often these days, with his little belly full of vital nutrients, than he ever had before. It was maddening; he couldn't get through a single day without a nap, but....his strength was rising, so the boy supposed it was worth it.

Especially once Kedean told him about a most promising job.

Finn looked up at the building, squinting his glowing eyes against the sun while casually leaning against his staff. He had experience on the water; though, only in the sense of a fisherman's boat, and nothing nearly so grand as sea travel. Still, maybe it would be enough, and if it wasn't, he had his magic.

Scrunching up his features, he turned his speculative gaze to Kedean. "You just want me to stand back and shut up, right? You don't have to say so much if that's all you want; I get it." He knew funds were scarce, he wasn't an idiot, and he was going to try to be a 'good boy'.

Painted Moose

Dapper Codger

◈ Tendaji [RP Area]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces