Doxa had left Kalos to scout the valley for the possible source of the elephant's rage. She had managed to avoid the attention of the angry herd, which wasn't difficult considering they seemed quite focused on some land-bound creature they sought, from the words that reached the raven. She moved to hover over the entrance to the valley, now well pounded into dust by the herd, and began to circle outwards from there. They'd done a job covering any evidence on the valley floor she might have spotted from above, but maybe, just maybe... just then, she caught sight of some unfamiliar pawprints along one of the cliffside trails. Aha, jackpot!

She winged in closer, slowing to drift along above the path as it branched, rose and fell. Ah yes, whomever it was took a right here... went up... and up again... and there leaped a gap! She fluttered down to the cave entrance where the trail turned inwards. She examined what she could see of the prints, turning her head sideways to eyeball them intently. Well, that was no lion, that was for certain. The paws were too small, and the stride too long to be a cub. She'd have to be cautious, as they clearly indicated a predator of some sort, more than big enough to take her out if they chose. She gave the darkness of the cave a suspicious look. She was not at all built for searching caves for potentially dangerous animals, not at all.

"I know you are in there," she called out, "and it would be best if you showed yourself before I have to call in someone bigger and stronger than either of us." At least there was that much assurance... by the size of the tracks, Kalos would have little trouble subduing or even killing such a creature. About then, his deep voice rose in a bellowing roar in response to the trumpeting of the matriarch below, emphasizing her threat. To her satisfaction, she heard someone stirring deep inside.

Kriva, for his part, was ready to bolt even further into the depths of the caves. Oh, it wasn't the pert voice of a bird that frightened him. Of course not! It was the reverberations of loud, angry elephant voices and the tremors of their stomping feet that had woken him from sleep in such terror. And now, here was someone else threatening him harm! Though... this bird sounded less angry and more wary. Maybe he could get away... though a bird was better able to follow him, so perhaps that wasn't an option this time. He shuffled his feet uncertainly, torn between ducking into the deeper passageways and simply giving himself up. Was the bird with the matriarch?

"I... don't think your saggy, baggy friends could make it up here," he called back, his voice tremulous and full of false bravado. Doxa shook her feathered head at his foolishness.

"They are not my friends," she told him sternly. "This valley belongs to a lion and his adopted family. You are trespassing, and bringing trouble with you besides!" She clacked her beak as comment to this offense. "Come out, and we will see if justice can be done between you and the elephant herd. Kalos is fair and sensible. So long as you did not kill anyone, he will not allow them your death." Not that this meant he'd get off unscathed, depending on his crime, but surely this was more assurance than he'd get from the elephants!

Kriva considered this unhappily. He did not want to face the matriarch, but he wasn't sure he was going to be given much choice. If this entire valley belonged to a lion and his family, they'd be sure to hunt him out, even if the elephants left. With a reluctant growl, he edged towards the sunshine.

Doxa wasn't terribly surprised to see the ragged state the cheetah was in, and steeled herself against feeling pity for the cat just yet. Better to find out what he'd done first. "So, tell me what it is you did to enrage them so." It wasn't a question, it was an order, and it was clear Kriva got the message.

He hung his head and scuffed the ground with his claws like a contrite cub. "I... plucked hairs from the matriarch's tail," he mumbled. His face heated up when the bird had to lean closer and ask him to repeat himself. He did, louder this time, but refused to meet the bird's eyes. To her credit, she didn't break into the cawing laughter he expected from a raven at this astonishing admission. All she did was leave her beak open in surprise for a moment before snapping it closed.

She cleared her throat and mildly commented, "That wasn't terribly wise. Well, stay here and let me go fill Kalos in on your story." He stopped her though, giving her a desperate look.

"Please, ask him if I can... stay for a while? Don't give me to them, please. I'm... afraid they'll kill me later, one way or another, if I go with them." He had visions of being enslaved to elephants for the rest of his pitiful life, and couldn't bear the thought, not only of the terrible work they'd likely give him, but of the utter shame of being a feline slave to a bunch of herbivores.

Doxa tried not to look too amused by this plea, perceiving the thought behind it. He really was a rather sad-looking scrap of a feline just now, and she had a hard time not feeling sorry for him in a hilarious sort of way. To think of pulling hairs from a matriarch's tail! What a hoot! Certainly the indignity would have enraged any elephant, and it explained the unreasoning reaction of the matriarch, but she knew that it certainly wasn't deserving of bodily harm or enslavement, much less death. The scruffy cheetah would end up alright, no question. Still, it wasn't a bad idea to let him sweat a bit first. He'd done wrong, and needed to feel it.

"I will see what can be done," she told him severely, taking care not to allow her amusement to show. "As I said, Kalos is a fair lion. He will see that justice is done." Perhaps that wasn't much solace to him just now, but that was fine. "Tell me your name, cheetah. Kalos will want to know who he is speaking on behalf of."

"Kriva," he answered miserably, now feeling certain that this Kalos was more likely to side with the outraged pachiderms. "My name is Kriva." The raven gave a firm nod and took off from the ledge. He peered over the edge hesitantly, down into the valley where he saw a lion facing down the largest elephant, surrounded by the destruction only a mad herd could have done. Inwardly he winced, realizing that even this Kalos had reason to be angry with him. The situation wasn't looking good for him, not at all.