ϟ Briel

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Suhuba
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:15 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
(Art by Heras Box)

Inventory

Weapons
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Simple Hammer

Items
None

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:10 pm
Name: Briel
Stage: Prentice
Race: Lightning

Height:
Build:

3 Base Traits: Optimist, Competitive, Laid-back
Personality:
Highly energetic and easily warms up to nearly anyone, he likes attention and being in big groups. He will chat with just about anyone who gives him the time, and is well suited for both small talk and deeper topics. With friends and acquaintances alike, Briel is supportive and sincere. He often jokes about whatever is happening, which can be either relieving or annoying to others if there is a serious situation going on. He is as smart as anyone else, but his playful manner might give the sense of foolishness. Don’t be fooled. He’s simply blessed with a sunny disposition. Very sunny.

He can be brash at times and is always happy to prove himself to other males, especially when it comes to sports. He may not always be the strongest around, but he has his agility and sharp senses to keep him a winner- even when he loses. He prefers winning, of course, but has no patience for acting like a sore loser. Trying to succeed can make him lose sight of his purpose, eager to follow his heart rather than the rules and being his own man.

When he's not wrapped up in competition, the other half of his life is appreciating down time. As much as he loves competing, he always puts his full effort into it and that can be quite exhausting! This more often than not involves being around others, being the social butterfly that he is, and recharging his energy with good company and laughs. Being so laid-back can have its downsides though. He is not the most practical guy, prone to procrastinating and being unable to focus on a task at hand unless it is part of a sport.

Description: Sectional heterochromia accent violet and majority green eyes REF

Cornetified

Precious Loiterer

Cornetified

Precious Loiterer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:20 pm
History:

There is nothing particularly remarkable to outside viewers about the joining of Balok and Mekri. Balok was growing in skill and popularity as a sportsman, and Mekri was a teacher. Mekri, professional perfectionist, saw a sporting event that Balok was participating in, and was instantly hooked by the young man's skills. She instantly started pursuing the athlete, and her passion and boldness had Balok hooked right in return.

Their family began to grow right away, first with a set of twins. The boy and girl had full heads of orange hair and bright emerald eyes, like their parents. After a time, the couple decided to try for more, and this is where the remarkable became a part of their lives.

Briel was born just like his siblings; pale, a head of orange hair, and squalling with dismay at being brought outside of his protected space. His eyes were a different matter though. When the baby opened them up, his parents were shocked to see that they were the same green as their own, but both eyes held a touch of violet as well.

Balok thought it was beautiful. Mekri though.. despite her bold nature, she was still firmly set in the knowledge available to her. Things had a certain way, and two different colors in a single eye was not the way of things. Her first two babies were perfect, but Briel's eyes made him faulty. Both eyes bearing two colors of such contrast was more than the inflexible woman could wrap her head around. Feeling such shame as though she had done something wrong during the pregnancy, and that he was a stain on her flawless life, the majority of Briel’s care was put onto Balok.

To his siblings, he was pretty much just their little brother, ripe for teasing and heckling with friendly sibling rivalry. Minor changes came as they grew older. Treylat was always supportive and ready to help defend his brother. Corlee was a little more finicky on the matter, encouraging Briel when they were alone, but preferring to join in the teasing when her friends were around.

As Briel grew, his eyes became the topic of local gossip. Was he broken? Would he still be able to see when he grew? Shouldn’t he have the colors of his parent’s eyes? Was something wrong with Mekri? The last purple eyes were generations ago on either side of the family! The rumors only got worse with the passage of time. The more mystically toned rumors were quite outlandish in the advanced land of Belrea, most using such rumors to jab fun without actually believing the accusations. Other rumors were less "playful" though, the worst question being... was that even Balok’s son?!

The speculations were enough for Mekri to eventually part ways from her family, essentially running away without word and leaving Balok as a single father to all three younglings so that she could start over elsewhere. Despite Balok having complete faith that Briel was his son, Mekri could not handle the further shame of such speculation. Running away was easier than dealing with such a stain on her reputation. Even if anyone could ever prove Briel was legitimate, the stories of the rumors would still haunt her. Briel was four years old. That moment stung the most. He was old enough that he knew his mother hated his eyes, and that this was why she had left. He couldn’t understand why she hated him so much though, and became even more reserved than he already was. Now that his mother was gone, he and the other two were being taken out more often on Balok’s errands, and his eyes became even more public than before.

The increased interactions meant an increase in heckling; especially from other younglings his age. It started out as basic child immaturity, telling him he looked freaky. Then the younglings started repeating what they overheard the adults saying with their ‘logical’ thinking. He was the boy whose mommy had abandoned him. His mommy didn’t love him. His daddy wasn’t really his daddy, because his mommy was.. a few words that he didn’t understand. Treylat became a determined housemaster, acting more like a butler than a child, and Corlee rebelled with a snotty attitude and hanging out with other bratty youths.

Seeing his children wilting, Balok forced himself through the fog created by his own loss to give his sons and daughters a more stable home. He became more active in sports again, bringing the kids to practices and games. He walked them to and from school lessons. He made sure the kids felt free to talk with him about anything, and that they had something to be happy about every day.. and that they knew he was their father and loved them unconditionally.

With Balok’s efforts, Briel and his siblings began to flourish. By the time the twins came of age, they were ready to start training for fully joining the Sector of Leisure. Rather than sports though, the pair sought the life of performers. Briel is the one who followed his father into the sporting world, finding himself coming alive when competing. Watching his father and siblings grow, he began to forge his own path. First and foremost was remembering that his family loved him as he was. He didn’t want to turn back into that quiet little boy he had been; not ever again.

To combat the harassment that he still got from others, he started using humor. With practice, and the support of his father, Briel’s true nature rose to shine. The harassing insults began to roll off of him like water on a tarp. He let his smile shine through all of it, always looking for the brighter side. When he joked about himself, others found it less and less amusing to do so themselves. What was the point of harassing when the target just laughed?

The passage of time heals most wounds. Briel has come of age himself, and is turning his focus toward being a sportsman like his father. His relationship with his family is strong, though he hasn’t seen his mother since she left all those years ago. For his part, the memory of her leaving is faded, but the pain of her leaving will still sting if he lingers too long on the thought. His life has grown around his father, his siblings, and his humor. As it is, he is happy with what he has.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:23 pm
Relationships:

Father: Balok Couslynd (npc)
Mother: Mekri Planwin *mia* (npc)
Brother: Treylat Couslynd (npc)
Sister: Coralee Couslynd (npc)

Cornetified

Precious Loiterer

Cornetified

Precious Loiterer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:26 pm
RP Log:

Prentice:
X WE The Truth Behind It All - W/Yokka *5points
X WE The Painted Egg - W/Scylla *5points
X WE Strange Weather - W/Scylla *5points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:27 pm
Battle or Crafting Log:

Cornetified

Precious Loiterer

Cornetified

Precious Loiterer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:29 pm
Growing Reqs:

Prentice - Stage 2:
1 Set-up Journal- Done
1 Month's Time ( 2/6-3/6/18 )
25 RP Growth Points
xxxxIncludes one (900 word minimum) solo is required to show class affinity
1 Completed Class Quest

Prentice Growth Form

Character Name:Briel
Class Promotion: Guard (Brute)
Current Location: Belrea
Journal: X
RP Growth Point Links:
X Solo *4points
X *5points
X *5points
X *5points
Class Affinity/Choice Solo:
X *6points
Class Quest Solo: X
Items:

Simple Hammer, Hammer
-Alter the hammer head so that it has rounded edges and no pointed parts
Fetish (or doll. whichever makes more sense to you)
-A dark red ball a little bigger than his fist, scuffed up from use.
Bandage
-A small X shaped bandage on one cheek.
Body Type: Athletic, but not super muscled up. Requesting that his eyes are visible enough to show the heterochromia he has going on, please!
Preferred Artists: Full or lines: Uke, Scar, Hera, Miss, Flan. Color: Alethryia, Tasi, Sabra
WIPs: Yup

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:20 pm
Prentice - Journal entry 1
It’s All A Game

The world was a scary place these days. Bug monsters that could walk through the air and take people away without a sound or a sign? It wasn’t in just one place either. All over the new isles that had been found, people were apparently going missing! Everyone seemed to be nervous and on the alert.

Well, most everyone was nervous. Briel was not one of those people though. Even in the darkest times, he could find something to laugh about. While this was usually a charming trait, sometimes.. sometimes, others did not appreciate his attempts to lighten the moods.

“I mean, they’re going to grab you anyway. If a bug claw suddenly popped out of the air in front of your face, you’re probably not going to dodge it! And-! if all it takes is one touch to paralyze you, good luck getting away when you can’t move!” Briel spoke with an amused smirk as he walked the path with his brother. “Besides, what’s your walking buddy going to do? If I suddenly got sucked into some other dimension, would your first instinct to be to jump after me, or avoid the endless pit yourself?”

Treylat frowned and gave Briel a light shove. “I like to think that I would reach for you. However, having never been in such a dire situation, I cannot say for certain how I would react to a claw coming out of the air or to you falling through some space hole.” Treylat was the eldest of the siblings, and carried himself as such. Speaking with dignity, walking with straight posture, wearing dapper clothes.. Treylat did not like anything out of place.

It was something that Briel found to be both respectable and annoying about his brother. “Well, I know what Coralee would do. Scream and run all the way to the chronicler so that she could share her near death experience with everyone. Being able to talk about how upset she is about losing her brother would get her a lot more attention than if she saved me.” This time, he yelped as Treylat’s hand slapped the back of his head.

“You mind yourself, Briel,” the older teen scolded. However.. the scold ended there.

Briel peeked up and grinned when he saw Treylat trying hard to hide a smirk. Yeah, he had hit the nail on the head with his sister..

A few voices made Briel’s attention switch gears, and a wicked grin rose. “Wait here, Trey,” he whispered sharply, darting into the foliage next to the path and leaving his brother standing quite confused. As he hunkered down in the bushes, Briel felt a moment of hesitation. The bug monster menace was actually an existing fear, and he had earned a hard kick to his shin for the last time he had tried to make light of it. That Geian’s boot had left a bruise. Maybe he should leave this joke alone..?

Yet the voices got closer, laughing gayly without a concern in the island. Recognizing the voices as a group of his peers, Briel grinned and braced himself. It was his civic duty to make sure everyone knew the threat was still present and looming. The group coming acted as if nothing was wrong. He was educating them!

Treylat had moved to the edge of the path to let the small group pass, lips pressed with a hint of impatience. What was his brother up to..? When he felt a strong grip around his neck, he let out a rather terrified yelp and he felt himself pulled backward, and the word ‘monster’ was shouted from behind his head. The passing group shrieked in turn and took off running, screaming about monsters.

Briel poked his head out, surprised to see how fast they were running. Once his own surprise wore off, he burst out laughing. “Trey, did you see their faces?” he asked through gasps of air. “Wow, I didn’t know they could run that fast! See though? They just ran. Didn’t even try to help you.” Suddenly, his ear was in a vise-like grip and he was turned to look at his furious brother. “Hey! What gives?”

Trey had opened his mouth to scream at his brother, but caught himself. He was supposed to be the composed one.. “That was not funny,” he finally seethed from a tight jaw. “You are going to apologize to them right this minute. While you are at it, you can apologize to me as well. My neck is sore, and you scared me nearly to death.”

Briel continued to chuckle, but his smirk did turn apologetic. “Sorry. Didn’t mean to hurt you. I was going to grab your shirt, but thought you’d be mad if it tore.” Swiftly though, the apologetic tone was amused again. “Besides, now they’ll be more cautious about the monsters in the future. I helped! You want everyone to take this stuff seriously, right?”

Treylat continued to scowl, but deep inside.. he was laughing, too. If he had not taken on the responsibility of keeping the household in one piece after their mother had left, he would probably have the same sense of humor that Briel had. “Be that as it may.. you should at least go tell them I had nothing to do with your little scheme. Once they realize I am not actually missing, they will be pointing fingers at the only face they saw, and I refuse to take the blame for your blasé attitude.”

Briel shook his head. “Naw! Just tell them that the bug monster didn’t want you. You were too much of a prissy butt for their tastes.”

“Prissy?!” Trey gasped, rounding on his brother to pull the younger man into a tight headlock. “How about I show you which of us is the prissy butt?”

A few minutes later, both boys emerged from the woods again. Both were scuffed up from their wrestling match, and Treylat had cleaned himself up as best as he could, but both were also smiling and laughing. Briel and Treylat were close, but the loss in their family had been hard on everyone; even years later, the effects were still visible. Moments like this when Trey let his guard down and was just a big brother again were rare and cherished.

Of course, there were a few angry people banging on his family’s door as the sun set that evening, and Briel did have to explain that Treylat had been innocent in the matter. The group and their flustered parents left grumbling, but Briel remained cheerful. A few of those parents had been smirking with the realization of the joke. His father had given the back of his head a smack and his sister had scoffed and rolled her eyes. Briel had seen their subtle smiles though. Once the group was out of sight, they even allowed a few laughs to rise.

This was what Briel thrived on. If it ever came to him coming face to face with the monsters themselves, he would take it seriously. With the threat a distant thought though, he did not want it running over the lives of his family. Hearing the laughter that he could illicit from his father and from his siblings gave him the strength to get through life. If that meant taking a serious topic and dulling the edges, annoying a couple people now so that they could laugh later, then he was more than up to the task.

(( word count: 1250 = 4 pnts ))  

Cornetified

Precious Loiterer

Cornetified

Precious Loiterer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:18 pm
Prentice - Journal entry 2
Class Affinity

The field felt as though it was filled with teenagers waiting to try out for the teams; boys and girls, thick and thin, muscular and wiry. So many young, eager, nervous faces; all waiting for their chance to strut their stuff and shine. Many of the more seasons sportsmen were standing along the sidelines and sitting in the stands sizing up and evaluating the young hopefuls with a mix of pride, curiosity, and smugness. The air was thick with anticipation and excited chatter.

In the middle of it all stood Briel with a relaxed posture, his two-toned eyes sizing up his competition and the judges while idly chatting with his fellow teens. A nervous fly buzzed around in his belly, but it was a minor thing. Briel felt confident where he stood. The competition would be tight, yes, but he knew he had a fighting chance to earn his place on the teams.

“I’m surprised your dad is making you try out today, Ghost,” a snarky voice sneered from one side. “Everyone knows you’ll be let in no matter what, thanks to him being one of the favorites. Gotta make sure the beloved pets are happy, right?”

Briel rolled his eyes heavily to give his peer a flat stare. “Unlike you, Argi, my dad is not a tool and doesn’t give me everything I want on a silver platter. Unlike you, I will be getting in because of my skill and not because my dad told the coaches to let me in. I’ve beat your dumb butt before with my own danged talent, and you know I’ll be doing it again today. Quit being so jealous of me and go line up in the snob section with the rest of the spoiled brats.”

Argi let out that obnoxious, braying laugh of his, though his cheeks flushed with frustration. “I don’t need my dad to do anything! You watch yourself out there, Briel. Would be a shame if you didn’t make the team with me.” Laughing again, he turned to head over to join his groupies.

Ghost… Briel had hated the nickname when Argi had first attached the label to him during their younger years. Briel’s eyes were heterochromatic, meaning that both eyes contained two different colors; green with a spot of violet. There had been a number of theories over the years about why he had come to be born with such a strange condition; but only a few continued to linger to this day. More of a joke than anything else, a popular theory was that he was possessed by a spirit. Some ghost of a relative passed had come to inhabit his body right before being born, and the eyes had failed to transition fully.

Briel himself had actually believed it for a short time. At the least, it had been an interesting story, but, at the time, anything regarding his eyes had been a touchy subject. After all, different was bad. His mother had taught him that for a time… He learned quickly that there was no such thing as possession, but it had become a favorite heckling trademark and stuck around.

Today, he was going to show everyone that his eyes were nothing more than colors on his face. Today, he was going to secure his spot on the roster and begin the path toward his career in sports entertainment and stardom!

Everyone went through the trials and drills. The pack was separated into groups and they went through more drills. Slowly, competitors left the field because either gave up or were sent away. The sun was setting when the final whistle blew, and those remaining were called to line up.

“Okay kids. Thanks for coming out today; you all did a great job! Anyone still standing here gets their name on the roster! It’s up to you now to go around and decide which team it is you want to join.”

The man rambled on a little more, but Briel had stopped listening. He had looked over to give his father a ‘thumbs up’, but the man was already holding up his thumb for him. Briel could not have hidden his grin if he had tried, lifting his hand to return the gesture.

“Don’t even try to follow me to the team I’ve picked,” Argi suddenly hissed.

Startled, Briel stared a moment at the smug teen before snorting sharply. “You’re hilarious,” he replied simply, earning a glare as he headed away from his instigator.

“Briel!”

Brow rising, Briel turned to see one of the coaches approaching him. He was familiar with most of the coaches and players in the area, so he was not surprised to be called by his first name.

“Hello, Mr. Hanson,” Argi instantly crooned, trying to place himself in the center of the attention. “How are you this fine evening?”

The adult smirked lightly and nodded his head. “I am fine, Argi. Thank you for asking. I need a moment with Briel though.” The man inclined his head to step away from the group and turned away.

Briel stuck his tongue out at Argi and hurried to keep up with the sportsman. “What can I do for you, Mr. Hanson?”

Hanson turned around with a quick grin. “Catch this,” he said, tossing something into the air.

Briel yelped when he caught the heavy hammer in his arms, nearly being knocked back in the process. That was going to leave a mark… Hanson had tossed it like it weighed nothing! “Slamball?” he croaked out once he regained his balance, gasping in another breath. The hammer had a short handle and a rounded head, and was dull from use over time.

Hanson nodded, his bright smile remaining in place as he watched the boy regain his footing. “You sound surprised.”

Briel shuffled his feet with a hint of bashfulness. “I.. I guess I was thinking something a little more.. high impact.” After all, his father played on one of the cluster cart teams. He had expected to do the same, if not something similar.

Hanson smirked and shook his head, instantly understanding. “You are not your father, Briel. You would be good at cluster cart, I have no doubt. You’ve got good arms though. It’s not like I’ve written your name in stone or anything anyway. Just wanted to see what you can do and maybe make an offer.”

Briel held the hammer away from his body and gave it a few test swings. Well, it wasn’t difficult to use, and he did enjoy playing the street version of slamball. Only the pros got to actually use the hammers.

“Hit it!”

He looked up in time to see Hanson throwing the tough little ball that was the target of the sport. Grinning, Briel quickly shuffled and swung the hammer with all his might.. and missed. Rather than getting angry, he ran to fetch the ball and threw it back. “Again!” he called, bracing himself. When the ball came this time, his hammer connected with a solid smack and sent the ball flying as though shot from a blunderbuss!

Hanson gave a low whistle and laughed. “See? Good arm, just like I noticed. Now, how about you try aiming it at that target there? Don’t worry about hitting center. Just any part of it will do.”

Briel started to brace himself, but then paused and gave Hanson a look. “Hey.. my dad didn’t put you up to this, did he?”

Hanson’s brow rose curiously. “Now that is a question I did not expect from you.”

Briel felt his cheeks flush slightly. Damn that Argi for planting ideas in his head. “It’s a valid question! Now you gonna throw the ball or not?”

Hanson grinned sharply. “Kid, be careful what you wish for.” Winding up his arm, Hanson scooped up another sport hammer to whack the ball with.

Scrambling to keep up, Briel changed his position to aim the hit toward the target. He felt the connection of ball and hammer, but the ball did not shift enough to actually hit the target. Briel turned to snarl about not being properly warned, but Hanson seemed to be laughing with delight.

“Dang, kid. Most don’t even get the hammer up in time!” the older man called out. Closing the gap, Hanson took the hammer back from Briel and patted the boy’s shoulder. “Look, if you want, I’ll have a place for you on the team. You know, unless you really want to follow in your dad’s shadow. You have lots of talent, kid. Lots of potential. You gotta let it shine on its own.” With a final pat, Hanson turned to head back to chat with the other coaches. With a quick pause, he turned back to the teen and smirked. “By the way, your dad told me he wanted you on his team with him. He knows the potential you have.”

Briel stood in shock for a few moments as Hanson walked away. While he had always considered himself as one to forge his own path, it wasn’t until now that he saw that he was quietly limiting himself as well. Was it concern for trying to fit in with his father, or something else? His father’s shadow was quite large when it came to the sport’s field, but Briel had never given it much concern. Though, he couldn’t be the only one there realizing they might go a different path than originally planned. Without realizing it, he had assumed that he would play alongside his father. How many other teens there were realizing that the sport they had grown up imagining themselves playing was not the sport they wanted to choose?

Seeing Argi glaring at him for the attention he had gotten, Briel began to laugh out loud. That was right. It had never been about what others thought of him, and it certainly had never been about fitting in with the crowd. He had been his own, unique individual self from the moment he had opened his eyes. He thought back on Argi’s threat from the beginning of the trials and laughed again. Of course Argi was too afraid to actually try anything. Argi was a coward, and cowards took the easy way and hoped others would solve their problems for them. That had never been Briel’s way.

“Mr. Hanson!” he called, chasing after the coach. “Can I borrow the hammer for a bit? I’d like to get in a little more practice with it before the evening’s over.”

Hanson grinned and tossed the hammer easily again. “Have at it, Briel. ..You know, this is a team sport. Why don’t I grab a couple of the others and we can all have a little ‘test it out’ session?”

Briel grunted at the impact again, but was smirking through the ache. He could still play the other sports on occasion, but he was ready to make this his focus. This would be his career.

(( word count: 1830 = 6 pnts ))  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:19 pm
Prentice- Growth Quest Solo
Guard

Briel had been friends with Zaek since before he could even remember. Zaek had been born into a large family that lived just a couple houses down from where Briel’s family resided. The four-year-old Zaek had been curious about the strange boy that his parents whispered about, and helped himself to walking down the road to see the ‘freaky’ boy for himself. When he saw the baby with the two-toned eyes, Zaek was fascinated rather than appalled. He became a regular visitor to the Couslynd household. Being one in a large and uncoordinated family, he was rather free to do as he pleased even at that young age.

Briel found Zaek to be a lifeline as he grew; his background hero. When his family started to visibly fall apart, Briel found refuge in Zaek’s presence. Zaek had been one of the few outside of his family who did not give him trouble for what made him different.

Things started to change as they grew older though. Briel ignored the signs for the sake of his friend. Zaek was becoming rougher around the edges, doing things that Briel did not quite agree with. Zaek was his friend though. He would not turn on his friend…

“Hello? You still with me, buddy?”

Briel shook his head and looked over at the young man talking. Zaek had pale orange hair that was as straight as a pin and hung all the way to his low back. A good looking fellow, and a fun contrast to Briel’s dark curls. “Did you see me go somewhere else?” he asked lightly.

Zaek laughed and shook his head. “Your body was here, buddy, but your head was someplace else. What’re you thinking about?”

Chuckling lightly, Briel gave his friend’s shoulder a playful punch. “Actually, I was thinking about when we were younger. How we used to climb over the orchard fence and nab apples for lunch.”

Zaek laughed as well. “Those were the best damned apples around. Still are, in my book. Farmer Hoggi hated us for it though. Remember when he started putting out guard dogs to keep us out? Threatened that we’d be eaten up by the dogs like we ate his apples and never be seen again until a dog pooped us back out. ..I still don’t know if he would actually have let those dogs eat us or not.”

Briel gave an exaggerated shudder. “I still have nightmares about those things chasing me! I swear he sold his soul to get those beasts.” They really had been scary buggers to a young boy just wanting a snack. Thick, shaggy fur, large teeth, and a bark that pierced the ears harshly. “Though, maybe we should have taken the hint and stopped going into the orchard after that.”

Both boys laughed and shook their heads. The apples had been too good to leave alone just because of a few guard dogs. “Hey! Why don’t we go give the old orchard a visit? See if it has any apples left for old time’s sake?” Zaek exclaimed with a light in his eyes.

Briel’s grin lit up instantly. “Sounds like a plan to me. I think those dogs are old enough to not want to chase us anymore.”

The boys ran to the edge of the orchard, remembering the ‘good old days’ of being young and wild. Zaek reached the edge first and hopped the fence with ease, though Briel was right behind him. “Now, don’t forget to check for worms. Remember that one you bit into an-?”

Briel interrupted with a loud gag. “Of course I remember! Don’t remind me!” That had been one of the most disgusting experiences in his life. His stomach sank a little, nose wrinkling as he looked up at the green fruits nervously.

A few thoroughly-checked apples and a couple full bellies later, the boys sat at the base of one of the trees. “Sometimes I wish it could be like this forever,” Briel sighed.

Zaek smirked lightly. “Why should it change?”

Briel snorted and swatted his friend’s arm. “You know why. We were always told how awesome it is being an adult and making your own rules, but that’s only part of it. Gotta work for money so that you can eat and sleep comfy. Maybe get enough to impress a pretty girl someday...”

Zaek laughed. “Okay. You go ahead and work, Briel. I got other plans that don’t require me bustin’ my butt for some big boss I never see.”

Briel snorted. “No such thing these days. Living on your own means bustin’ to make sure you get yourself what you need, and even living on a farm would need you to trade at the markets once in a while.” The look that suddenly rose on his friend’s face was actually a little unsettling. “Fine. I’ll bite. What’s going on in that head of yours that’ll lead you to the easy life?”

Zaek straightened up and pulled a flap of leather from one of his pockets to wave in front of Briel’s face. “Hoggi’s gonna take care of me, that’s how.”

Snatching the flap of leather, Briel opened it up and let out a yelp. “Where’d you get all this money from?” he hissed. There was no way that Zaek had earned it all himself!

Zaek just grinned. “I told you. Hoggi. The old grouch left his apartment open, so I let myself in. Got contributions in there from Hoggi, Tentil, Plancree, and a few others who were always looking down on us as kids.”

Briel’s mouth tightened into a line. “You.. stole this from people?”

Zaek grabbed the leather back with a roll of his eyes. “They owe it to us, man. Years of telling us we weren’t good enough for one reason or another. How many times did you get hassled about your eyes or your mom? Don’t you deserve some.. what’s the word.. compensation for being their punching bag?”

Briel could barely wrap his head around the situation, so he laughed. “They owe us something,” he agreed, though his stomach felt sour. There was a lot of money in that wallet. He really could use it to make his life a bit easier. So could Zaek.

“I’m going to move on from this town,” Zaek said suddenly. “I know, this is a big enough town for everyone, but it stinks here. We could take this money and start over somewhere else!”

Briel felt his heart thudding in his chest. “Zaek, I’ve already been accepted to the team, and I can’t leave my family behind..”

Zaek frowned. “I almost forgot; you have a family that care what happens to you.”

Briel winced. Zaek’s family was not quite as close as his own was. “I care what happens to you. You’ll have your best chance here! Could even rent a place together if you want.”

Zaek stood abruptly and shook his head. “No. I gotta go. I.. I really want you to come with me, Briel. You’ve got two days to think about it. Meet me here if you’re coming, because I’m going with or without you.”

Briel watched his friend walk off and felt his sour stomach flipping in on itself. Zaek had stolen a lot of money and was just going to leave? Going off to reinvent himself… It was tempting, but there was just one big problem. Briel liked himself as he was. He saw nothing to reinvent. He certainly did not want to start over in a new place with new people trying to figure out his eyes, at the least.

..and how could he live with himself knowing that he was living off of stolen money? How could he live with knowing that Zaek was doing it?

A few days later, Briel was summoned to the security district offices. Zaek sat in a cozy room with a heavy lock that stood out far too much. “Zaek..”

“Ah, good of my ol’ buddy to come see me!” Zaek crowed without any cheer. “Seeing as how you put me in here, I figured you should see what I’ve got going. One room all to myself, prepared meals, a window with bars, locked doors everywhere, mean prigs who look at me like I murdered someone. It’s great.”

Briel groaned and rolled his eyes. “Don’t give me that. You know I couldn’t let you run off like that with everyone else’s money.”

Zaek nodded and waved a dismissive hand. “Oh, I know. I know. Can’t depend on an old pal anymore. Best intentions and all that crap.” Lips pressing, Zaek leaned toward the door with darkened eyes. “You can be sure, my best intentions will be in mind when I’m out.”

Briel spent that night wondering if he had really done the right thing. His best pal was now locked up. It wasn’t forever, but it was enough to break their relationship forever. Zaek could have been off in another city now, curled up at a cheap inn with a comfy bed and a hot meal, looking forward to a new day that could bring anything. He had turned in his best friend… The money was back to the proper owners though. His father said his actions were something to be proud of, and Briel knew it was right… Despite the pain, he knew it was right, and he knew that it was always the choice he would make.

(( Word count: 1572 ))

Conclusion: Briel has lived his life with humor and openness, and he holds his friendships very closely. When a friendship is challenged, Briel is torn between doing the right thing and keeping his best pal. In the end, Briel does the right thing, despite it causing pain. He learns that not all friendships are pure, and doing the right thing is not always the fun or easy thing. Responsibility is showing how heavy it can be, and he is preparing himself to face what else comes his way.

Cornetified

Precious Loiterer

◈ Journals

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces