Welcome to Gaia! ::

Echoes of Pern [Closed]

Back to Guilds

A Dragonriders of Pern B/C RP 

Tags: Pern, Dragons, Dragonriders, Role-Play, Fantasy 

Reply [IC RP] High Reaches Weyr
[PRP] Dragonweavers: Thread and thread [Tyila,Ichta,Dragons] Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:28 am
Oh, oh, oh oh oh.

Aurinkoth was impressed with how quickly his could move when the young woman found herself particularly motivated. He toddled along after the dark haired woman as she moved out onto the bowl to cross over towards the Barracks. Sweetmine, why are we running? Is it a game? Shall we race? he asked, starting to run until he’d only left Ichta a few paces behind him, turning back to make sure she was still there and honking with mirth. It was to his great pleasure a smile came over the young woman’s face as she picked up the pace to chase after him. I’ll get there first if you’re not careful! she teased, reaching out to gently place both of her hands on the running blue’s rump. Aurinkoth made a noise that was close to squealing as he pulled ahead, then purposely slowed down so that his could outpace him. She barely tapped the side of the barracks with a hand a few steps ahead of him and paused to catch her breath.

Hoo, there had been a lot of races ever since the Hatching, but Aurinkoth honked triumphantly. Ichtamine! You are such a great runner! A runnerbeast would be hardpressed to run faster than you! he celebrated in delight, though Ichta couldn’t help but notice that she’d been allowed to win, despite the fanfare. Still, as she caught her breath, she crouched in the sand to press her forehead to her dragonet’s. That was a close one, though. You’ll be leaving me behind in the dust in no time. Aurinkoth bumped his head back into hers gently even as she pulled away. Nonsense! I’ll never leave you behind! he promised before following her inside.

He watched with interest as she sorted through her storage chest, fishing out a rolled up length of fabric and some needles before finding the thread, carefully wound together to keep it from knotting up, and picking out a few colors. He could tell she had less of them. Are you going to see if the traders have more? he inquired as she stepped out of the barracks and began to walk across the Bowl again. It was much less eventful to run back, but apparently matching was very important to his and if she cared, he’d care too.

Usually, she’d just try to spin it herself. It kept her fingers idle, but lately she hadn’t had the time. There were a lot more chores in the day and well……. It seemed a few other people had some interest from non-Weyr-essential wares that sometimes came through, and Ichta found herself skirting nervously around them as she sought out what it had been she was looking at earlier. Hopefully she wouldn’t knock too many elbows.

Shinosbee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:43 pm
Mishaath had promised that the rip hadn't been terribly bad at all, that T'rel would probably never notice to begin with, and that if he did, he had ten more tunics just like the one that Tyila now had folded away in the bottom of her bag. All her reassurance hadn't been able to slake her rider's pounding fear, that this time, this mistake, would be the one to get her thrown out. Out of their shared weyr, out of the Weyr itself, out of his life...it was a cascading spiral of panic that Tyila was aware of enough to know was stupid, but she also couldn't just tell herself that and make it suddenly stop.

No, she just had to fix the tunic.

It wouldn't be too bad. Just a popped seam. Realizing that had helped stem the tide of tears and shame, but it still distressed her. It'd been his favorite!

No no nononono! YOU are his favorite, Tyilamine! His favorite! ThebestinthewholeworldhetoldmesoyouKNOWhedid! The burst of the green's words in her head made her huff a small, almost pained laugh. He did say things like that all the time, but...well. She still didn't know why. She wasn't pretty or smart or strong. Why pick her? You can fix tunics! And T'rel rips his a lot so I bet he likes that! You can't even usuallyseethestitcheslikeit'sreallycoolIbeththat'sitIjustBETthat'sitMine! Oh, and also you ARE pretty! And smart, and strong! The machine-gun fire of Mishaath's reassurance came again, and Tyila sighed, shaking her head. Well, maybe.

"O-oh, sorry...!" She'd come quickly around the corner, wrapped up in her thoughts, and nearly run headlong into...who? No one familiar, but...maybe a little? Oh! That's right! One of the new weyrlings! She had remembered after a moment how to read the knots on the girl's shoulder, thankfully. She'd done her best to pay attention to that lesson. "...Coming to find thread too?" That was what was usually stored around here, when it was available and not snapped up by the more legitimate weavers.

demon_pachabel

ShinosBee

Nerd

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:58 pm
"Oh!" Ichta's exclamation was accompanied by an involuntary flinch, which had lost it's edge on Aurinkoth after he'd realized the brief blips of fear were a common occurrence and didn't mean that his was in danger. He circled around behind the young woman, looking up at Tylia with great interest before honking a tiny greeting for her. Hello! Hello hello! You are here and mine is here! How fun! he greeted the greenrider as he allowed His to recompose herself. Once she was done getting over her startle, Ichta, smoothing her pulse down to livable speeds, offered the young woman a smile and a small bow of her head.

"i-I'm also sorry for startling you, I," she took a deep breath then nodded to confirm the young woman's suspicions. "Yes, I wanted to see if perhaps..." she offered up the colors she had wrapped around her fingers for Tylia to see them gingerly, "I could match so I could work on my...project..." she trailed off uncertainly and almost immediately, Aurinkoth piped up for her; Elzebuth's doesn't always have tunics that fit and mine wants to make sure she can finish the one she's making in the right color! Oh, and she has a tapestry, but mostly the tunic! he seemed more than happy to divulge this secret and while it could have seemed like innocent friendship, the growing heat in Ichta's face made the young woman seem not so certain if that was the case.

"It...matters that it all matches." she quietly added in her own defense, as if this was something to be embarrassed about.

ShinosBee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:09 pm
The sudden appearance of a blue (had Mishaath ever been that small??) at the younger girl's side made Tyila's heart leap just a moment again, but then she calmed. He was only a baby blue. And terribly friendly. The sound of him in her head was unexpected, and the most unsettling thing about the whole experience, but a mental shove from her green kept her feet firmly planted, and not in flight. He really only was a curious child, and happy to meet someone. Not a bully. Not a bother. Nothing at all like the blue brother Mishaath had grown up beside. Nothing to fear here in the Weyr.

She also didn't know who Elzebuth, or his(?) rider was, but...she certainly understood the girl's troubles. "M-me too. I mean. Not for Elze...Elzebuth's?" She fumbled briefly with her bag, though she never quite managed to get it open or the tunic tucked within out. "My...I tore my Weyrmate's tunic, his favorite, so..." There was a brief pause, silence aside from the little honking noises of the hatchling and his claws on the stone floor. "I've never made a tapestry." She'd never seen a tapestry until she'd come here. "It must take so much thread. But...I, I bet it's just lovely already." She liked the colors Ichta had picked out already, though if they were for the tunic or the project, she didn't know.

"D-did you bring the, uhm, tunic? To match?"

demon_pachabel

ShinosBee

Nerd

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:52 am
Aurinkoth trilled delightedly at Tylia, just over the moon to have met a new potential friend. He only quieted when his reached down and gently placed her hand against his forehead. Thank you, Aurinkoth. Let me speak now. The blue simply seemed very proud of himself for being helpful and leaned the side of his wedge shaped head against Ichta's hip adoringly. It only took the beginning of the young woman's woes to get Ichta even slightly worked up over every horrible outcome - albeit, hers came from the perspective of having lived with Tchose. Aurinkoth wasn't certain who that was, but he knew whenever his even thought about her for a moment, her emotional terror spiked.

"If..if it's not too far from a seam, it will be easy to fix. Or you can see about carefully knitting the ripped edges together so it doesn't um..." she wasn't sure if there was a word for what she meant, "well, so it lays flat if it isn't." That would take a little more time, but if it was her weyrmate's favorite then it would be time well spent, right? "It does take a lot of thread, and I don't have much time for it currently," she glanced down at Aurinkoth, as though that alone would indicate the reason for that. The blue just honked and looked very proud of himself for existing and having gotten to pick Ichta for his. Clearly, he had the best taste of all of his siblings. If the look of adoration shot up at the young woman was any indication of this.

"Oh, no. This is....for the embroidery. I need to make sure I match to these colors for trim or else the pattern will start one color and not be consistent and that'd be..." well, she didn't seem to volunteer a word for it, but it wouldn't have been very pretty.

shinosbee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:29 pm
Embroidery was something else that Tyila hadn't really seen before coming to the Weyr. Sure, sometimes her people had...stolen (and that was so shameful to reflect upon) nice clothing from Holds or Halls, but it'd always been traded away, or deconstructed so as not to be noticed, or to be more useful in the form of cloth to be reused. Making it seemed time consuming as well, enough that the older rider felt slightly in awe of this youngster, who had time to raise her dragon, make a tapestry, and do something that in her mind was entirely unneeded, pure artistry, but not necessity.

"I suppose that makes sense...though..." She hesitated, glancing at the blue as he honked, looking pleased as punch. He...really was a darling sweetheart, wasn't he? Whatever fear had threatened to be summoned up at the sight of him had faded, and she felt a rush of affection from Mishaath through her bond. The green had just known she could be brave and make friends! "If...if it started one color, and ended another, could you...could you maybe put some other colors in-between? I mean, colors to help the transition?" She didn't have the words to explain what she was imagining. A gradient, or a fade, perhaps, though she'd never really seen it done. It'd be painstaking though, to keep swapping threads out, and probably far more effort than any sensible person would go to.

demon_pachabel

ShinosBee

Nerd

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:45 am
The little blue continued to looked pleased as he could be with himself as he purposely moved so he wasn't standing between the two women. Clearly, this nice lady would be perfectly safe with His so he didn't need to worry about it! Not that Aurinkoth was truly capable of sustaining long term worry. Still, he looked between Ichta and Tyila, almost excitedly as if waiting for something amazing to happen that only he was privvy to. Ichta passed him a look and raised both brows at him before looking back to Tyila.

"A gradient of sorts? That would be....doable I think," the young woman looked at the thread in her hand with a small, debating crinkle of her nose. Would G'ran care if that sort of look could have perhaps been considered....girly? I think it would look fine! Aurinkoth offered, though he had absolutely no concept of 'girly'. G'ran was big and bulky. Perhaps he could have done well to have a little bit of something shave off the intimidation factor.

"It would need to be purposeful, at the very least. Maybe not for an every day tunic, but....it would be a nice effect for my project when I get to things that..." Ichta glanced down at Aurinkoth with his own fading shades of blue and he chirped affectionately up at her in turn. "There will be things that will look nicer for the effort." She paused, after a moment of rambling, as if realizing she had. "Oh! What color were you looking for? Can I help?" After all, there was a tunic that was apparently in need of some attention as well.

ShinosBee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:33 pm
Tyila managed not to tense when the little blue started moving (he was moving away more than towards her!) though she kept an eye on him. He just seemed so happy, so cheerful. And his rider was a very kind young woman, so...so it was fine. She wasn't at all sure what he was waiting to happen, but...well. As long as he stayed happy and calm, then it was all fine.

"Gradient, yeah, uhm, I mean, I think that's what it's called." She thought it would be attractive, but she also had no real idea of who the piece was for, or if it'd be to their tastes. "A formal shirt then, probably, yeah...though since...wait, I'm sorry, the person you're making it for...they're a rider, right? W-well, I mean..it's important that riders look presentable. Since we...represent the weyr." That was something that had been drilled into her since coming here. Her ratty old clothes had all been burned, far 'beneath' her station, even as a green rider. "So something nicer would be good. If they need it."

She seemed almost to have forgotten her point in coming here, and blinked wide owlish eyes for a moment before, with a small 'oh!' reaching into her bag to pull out the tunic in question. It was a rich wine-red, unadorned but of fine soft material, almost velvet in texture. The cut was slightly older, a clear sign it had been long favored, but the rich color hadn't faded a bit. "This seam, here, see?" She unfolded the garment enough to show where the thread had come undone, leaving a gaping, if thankfully even-edged hole. It was entirely fixable, but looking at it stirred up those feelings of anxiety again, making her heart want to pick up and race. "I've just got to fix it..."

Mishaath was crooning in her mind, mentally trying to wrap around her to support her. It was going to be alright!

demon_pachabel

ShinosBee

Nerd

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:37 am
"Yes, he just impressed that dark brown at the last Hatching. He's very...." Ichta wasn't sure what word to use to describe G'ran besides perhaps the most truthful one, "broad. I don't think he's ever worn anything that fits him, so..." If presentability was important, than she had all the more motivation to make sure he had 'suitable' clothing to wear. Though Ichta did purposely look down at herself and pondered briefly if she was anything close to presentable. Aurinkoth trilled up at her with a sweet note and leaned his head against her hip.

When Tylia offered up the torn tunic, Ichta gingerly reached out to run a hand over the fabric, 'Hmmmm'ing quietly more to herself than anything. "Along a seam is fortunately easy to fix," she nodded, "So you just need a color of thread that's close to it?" As she asked, Ichta already started sorting through the spools in storage, occasionally producing one and holding it up to the soft fabric before putting it back. The little blue would lean in, eyes whirling with interest every time Ichta moved her hand and she'd show up the spool to Aurinkoth as well. That color is really close, isn't it? he inquired and Ichta tilted her head slightly. Not close enough. She's clearly worried because it is a well loved shirt and wants to make sure it's as close to original as possible. Ichta explained and Aurinkoth trilled in answer before looking to Tylia's worried face. It was an expression he was familiar with.

So he trilled sweetly at her as well. Clearly that would make her feel better, right?

ShinosBee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:11 am
Oh. Oh. Tyila could remember the first tunic she'd been given upon reaching the weyr that'd fit properly. That'd felt nice, and not scratched at her skin. That'd made her look half like a real rider, and not someone holdless. It was easy to say that you didn't care about your looks, that it didn't change anything if you had to wear old or patched or ill-fitting clothes. But it was never really entirely true. People thought certain things based on how you looked, and they couldn't help that. Tyila felt her heart go out a little to whomever it was that Ictha was sewing for. He'd impressed, apparently, and was safe and sound here in High Reaches now. It was good that he'd found someone who cared to fit him properly. It made her think of T'rel, for a moment, and she felt a bloom of approval and almost affection for the younger woman with the little blue at her side.

"Yes. It's important, so..." She'd said that before, but she knew Ichta understood now. She sidled a bit closer (though on the far side from the hatchling) to watch as they held up spool after spool of thread. Not that one, not that one, not that one...Was there a thread that matched here? What if there wasn't? She hadn't considered that. High Reaches had seemed to be overflowing with resources of all kinds to her once-holdless eyes, and the thought that anything, anything might be unavailable...it seemed like it could never happen. The thought made her brows pull together and crumple slightly, and then they shot up in alarm as the blue trilled, startling out of her focused stare. A hand flew to hover over her pounding heart, but he just looked so sincere...not at all scary. Right?

"...Does...does he want to help?" She ventured, unsure, but deciding to try to move past this. He was blue, but his rider was a girl, and both of them were so young, and sweet too. She gently took the tunic back from Ichta, slowly extending it to the dragonet to see. "...Is he interested in your weaving at all?" Maybe this was a dumb idea.

demon_pachabel

ShinosBee

Nerd

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:30 pm
Aurinkoth looked at Tylia expectantly when she spoke of him, then up to Ichta excitedly. Oh yes! I am trying to help! This is a good game, yes? he confirmed to her. "He thinks it's a fun game and one he wants us to win at," Ichta explained and Aurinkoth leaned up against her side with a sweet note. "I don't think he's interested in the way I am, in particular, but he does his best" Well I very well can't tell my brothers and sister's about all the neat things you do if I don't know what they are! Though I don't think they know what they are either....they might not care....but it is fun! Oh! That reminds me - Ichta nodded along as the blue, seemingly distracted from what they'd just been talking about, began to ramble about some game he'd been playing with Lemath earlier that day.

In the meantime, Ichta continued to compare thread to the tunic, 'hmm'ing thoughtfully at each one. She turned the tunic inside out to peer at the inner seams with some consideration, then picked up another color. "We have a few that are close," she murmured, "Close enough that he may not notice. Especially if we tucked it inside of the tunic where people mostly don't look. I would leave that to you, however. With the age of this tunic, it's possible part of this color is from exposure to the sun and I may not have immediate access to the right shade...." If she'd been back at the Weaver Hall she'd have had so many more options - even if most were kept out of her reach due to being 'only' an apprentice.

ShinosBee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:44 pm
Tyila knew the look a rider got when they were talking with their dragon. It was a universally almost vacant look, as if the rider was distracted by some deep thought. Out of politeness or timidity, the woman didn't attempt to interrupt or converse until Ichta seemed more present again, though she trailed after her almost like a protective parent watching someone else carry their child. The news that none of the thread seemed a perfect match was disheartening, but she'd been looking through the thread as well, and had come to more or less the same conclusion. It was a shame. Even if it was hidden, if T'rel never noticed the difference, she'd know, and feel bad about it.

"Is there, well, is there any way to do that ourselves? Some way to make the thread fade without it taking all that time?" Some soaps could cause dye to run, and anything left out in the sun too long would bleach to paleness. She'd hate to keep his tunic out of commission for so long, but if it would make it perfect..."Maybe I could sew it with an almost-the-same one now, and when the right color's made, or sent for? C-could we do that?" It might cost some marks, but she had a few. A salary was a strange thing to realize she'd had, after joining the weyr, but it did have its uses. "I could re-mend it later, remove the wrong thread..." It seemed an excessive effort, but T'rel was worth it. And she got a bit of the feeling that the younger lady might feel the same for her friend. People in your life were important!

demon_pachabel

ShinosBee

Nerd

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:19 pm
There were four unfinished garments waiting for her to find the right colors of thread to match them that testified that yes, Ichta was exactly that particular. She 'hmmm'ed at what it was Tylia was asking. They'd have to remember to retrieve the garment later if they stitched it up as-was right then, however... "Well, there are a few things we could try...." she trailed off as she flipped the tunic inside out again to show the greenrider the excess of fabric around the seams. "I could pull just enough thread from here, where it will never be seen, to use for repairs." Ichta had used that excess herself to upsize a tunic here and there while G'ran had been a candidate to keep him from looking too much like a full grown man pretending to be 12 (not that he'd have ever passed for the part). "Or.."

Or.

Ichta's brows raised slightly at the thought. "If we take that thread, as long as we have access to a sunny spot where it won't blow away, it shouldn't take more than a sevenday or so to get it to fade about the same," and that would be an amount of time easy enough to keep track of. "Maybe tie a piece around your wrist or something so you can keep an eye on it until it's ready?"

ShinosBee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:37 pm
The idea to tear more of the tunic to get the proper color thread to work with..it seemed sensible. Scraps could be re-purposed..."Would it weaken the tunic at all?" What if it fell apart just because she took some thread from an inside part? Could that happen? She was used to wearing tunics until they wore thin and fell apart, so it seemed like there'd be enough there...and it would make sure the color was exact...

But there was something very charming about the idea of wearing the thread to fade the color. A little reminder on her wrist of T'rel, not that he wasn't ever on her mind.

"Maybe...both?" If they used the spare fabric now, that'd get it fixed up. But if she set some more to fade, then if anything ripped again she'd be ready to repair it. "Would there be a way to make a whole spool full of thread like that? Or would it be easier in the long run to order some from...somewhere?" There was a place that made all kinds and colors of thread, right? "Would that cost a lot? Oh...I guess your blue is too small to fly there after it though...if you told me where...I could..." The thought of visiting another place was a bit intimidating...but Ichta had been so helpful. It felt awful to just take her advice and not do anything with it.
demon_pachabel

ShinosBee

Nerd

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:49 am
Ichta turned the tunic inside out to show Tyila where the excess fabric began to unravel at the hem on it's own. "We'd pull from here. There's enough here we could pull some for repair and then use what was leftover to repair this edge so it wasn't fraying on it's own. Sometimes these ends are left untended since they're already out of sight, so it shouldn't harm the tunic itself," she assured, voice low as though she was telling a secret.

Tyila's suggestion for both seemed a little excessive, but Ichta wasn't about to judge. She was the one being particular about a shade of green in a tapestry where it would likely go overlooked. "If we talked with the Crafthall in Southern Boll - that's where I studied - we could get a spool of the less faded color, but you would have to fade it all yourself when you needed it. Or we'd need to show the entire spool to one of the Journeymen practicing with dyes. They could possibly make an exact match to the color it is currently."

Ichta shook her head. "We can talk to a trader when they're here to put in an order without having to travel. That's usually how I get my more particular colors."

ShinosBee

[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces