Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:06 pm
════════════════════════════════════════ SOLO ════════════
Word Count - 1644

Sweat dripped off his brow as he tried to perfect his swing. Novali wanted his strike to be just right. If he was going to take after his dad then he needed to know that he had the skill to match the best assassin there was in Jauhar. That meant that he had to put in hours of practice. Training was hard but at least he knew what he was working toward. Besides, the teacher he had wasn't so bad either. In fact Nova was harder on himself than his teacher was. Then again that was to be expected when the teacher was one's dad.

“That last swing was pretty good Li.” He got the priase from his father and felt the pride swell in him but he shook it off.

If he truly wanted to be the best he couldn't become complacent with things. So he looked at his dad and frowned. “I'm not trying for good, sir, I want to be perfect.” Novali then gave his attention back to the task at hand.

Kamden, the boy's father, chuckled as he leaned back against the side of their house. He watched his son work some more and then began to twirl his own blades around. Not because he was bored but because it was just what he did when he was idle. Novali looked over and saw this and felt a frown crease his brow. Of course the boy knew that it was a habit that his father did but to him it also meant that the work he was doing was less than extraordinary. He had to remedy that. Novali gave his focus back to his own movements and this time he forced his muscles to do as he wished. In one fell swoop he was able to accomplish what he had been trying to do the whole morning.

“Haha! That's my boy! I knew you could do it.”Kamden stopped playing with his blades and clapped his hands to show that he was proud of the small win that had been made.

“Dad, please. It was one time and it took me all morning to get it right.” Clearly Novali was not thrilled with the time it took him to learn the simple move. So he frowned a little at his own failure.

“Yeah? Well, hate to break it to ya son but that move took me a full day to learn.” The pure shifter gave his son a grin before he winked and nodded his head toward the house. “You ready to go inside now?” They had been out in the early morning and now the sun was likely at it's peak.

Novali looked at his hands, the practice blade he held, and sighed. Even if it had taken his father that long to learn the move he had been learning it on his own. Novali, on the other hand, had the best teacher there was. So it shouldn't take him quite so long to learn new moves. “Just feels like I should be able to learn things easier.” He walked over to where his father was still leaning against the house.

Kamden lifted a brow at his first born and when he was close enough the man pushed off the side of the house and draped his arm around his son's shoulders. “Li everyone has different learning speeds.” There was a casual shrug that came from the man but seeing that his son was still frowning he took a deep breath. “You know, you never did give me a reason why you wanted to learn this.” Kamden thought he had an idea but it would be better if he heard it from his child.

There was a moment of silence from Novali before he lifted his shoulders and turned his head to look away from his father. “I just do. I mean.. You are so good at it so I should be too.” But it was more than that. And the small tug he felt from his dad told him that the man knew it too. “I want to protect Nevlei. She's so frail. I worry every time she goes out to play with her friends, dad.” He took a deep breath. “If something happens to her then you and mom.. you'll be devastated.” And they would leave him alone as they delve into their own grief. It would leave him to deal with his own in a way he wasn't sure he could survive.

Kamden blinked a few times as he listened to this all. It made him nod his head slowly before he grabbed his son by the shoulders and turned him to look at him face to face. “Li.. you don't have to be a killer to protect your sister.” And the man had never told his son about the weight of taking a life. “You can learn to fight but you don't have to follow in my footsteps.” And honestly he wasn't so sure he wanted his child to take such a dangerous path in life.

“I know that!” He yanked away from his old man and turned away once more. “But a regular fighter isn't enough. If I have the reputation.. then people won't even think about trying to pick on Nevlei. It would mean she wouldn't ever have to worry about it.” Why be a simple fighter when that wouldn't stop the problem. If he was known as the best assassin then no one would even consider messing with his family. “It would mean that you and mom would never have to worry about losing her..” He peeked at his father. “I wouldn't have to worry about losing her.” And that was a big part of their days. If Nevlei was going out to play then everyone seemed so tense. Each of them watched her while holding their breath. It was like they were waiting for the worst to happen.

“You make such good money doing it that you keep us happy. If I can do that then Nevlei wouldn't have to get a job when she's older. I can take care of her and mom... and you.” It all made sense to him. His father was the perfect role model. He was the best husband to his mother. He was the best father to him and his sister. He was the best provider. Everything about him was the best. “Being like you... would that be such a bad thing? Do you regret what you are?”

His father smiled as he heard some of the reasons. “I see.” Kamden pulled his son into a hug and took to rubbing his knuckles into the boy's noggin. “You sure know how to hit a man in the feels!” There was a barking laugh and he let go of Novalli. “There are things about my job that I don't like but no.. I don't regret it. It led me to your mother. It gave me you. And your sister.” There was a smile that formed on his face and it showed a softer more serious side to the man. “Even if I had chosen another path I am not sure I would have been so blessed by the moon. Serin saw that I was lonely in life and she directed me to where your mother was.”

Novali did his best to hide his own smile as he moved away from his dad and the torture to his skull. “See! You see! It's not a bad choice. Everything you have.. it's because of your job. I want the same. I want to protect those I care about. I want to be led to my destiny. I get that I can find that if I take another path but its not what calls to me.” Novali couldn't help but feel the pull of the darkness. The job was mysterious, which every young man liked. Danger was a young mistress that one couldn't help but flirt with. And to know that it could provide in ways some other, less unstable, jobs could not.. well that made him want to take the path even more.

“And I can rid Tendaji of men like the one mom was working for when you met her.” Stories of the evil lord had been fodder for his bedside when he was little. Even now it was told to his little sister like a fairy tale. She ate it up too, just as Novali had when he was little. “I can be the darkness if it means the world my sister lives in is brighter.” And when he was older he would want the world to shine like crystals in the bright sun if he ever had children of his own. That was a long way off but it was still a goal to have. Even if he did not have kids his sister might want to, Serin save her if she tried, and he would want everything safe and sound for his nieces and/or nephews.

After hearing more and more reasons for why his son wanted to follow in his footstep he couldn't find a reason to argue. So Kamden admitted he was beaten. “I can see why you find it so appealing. Li, I can't blame you for wanting all those things. I never thought of that when I took this path so your reasons are much more gallant than mine.” The shifter had only thought of the money when he had committed himself to the job after all. Everything else had come later and he was thankful that it had. Without it his life would by empty of the joy her had grown so used to in the past decade and a half. Kamden wouldn't give up his wife or children for any amount of money.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:52 am
Denied Access
Word Count - 1115

"Let me go with you." Came the huffed words of Novali as he trotted along side his quick paced father. He was determined to get to finally go to one of the meetings his father had for his unorthodox business. He thought it was time for him to finally learn how to conduct business in such a manner since he intended to continue the work when he was older.

Kamden shook his head as he wore a stern expression, one that said he would not budge on his decision. He was off to meet with a client about a job and while he knew his son needed to learn the trade, if he truly wanted to be any good he didn't want to expose his face so soon to the game. It was always safer to keep one's identity hidden. It still bothered him a little that his child wanted to kill people for a living. "Li, I don't know how dangerous this client is." He made sure that his voice got that point across. Or at least that is what he thought.

"So?" He protested. "I need to learn and they need to know who I am." Novali was trying his best to appeal to his father's business sense but he could tell the man was still in father mode. A real killer of his career choice. If he had any hope of making it into the business soon then he needed his dad to see him as more than a child.

With the larger man walking so fast it was hard to keep up but he managed it with a bit of effort though it left him a little winded. "What if you didn't say I was your son but just a helper? Your apprentice?" It was his hope that that would be enough to ensure that he would be safe since his father was obviously worried about that. Nova didn't think he was in any real danger anyways since it was just a first meeting. No one knew that his dad even had a family anyways. By what he was told Novali was sure the rest of the world thought that he was a single man with a dead heart. No soul to speak of and devoid of the ability to love.

Kamden looked at his son with a side long glance before he stopped his stride abruptly to fully face him. "Son, it's not the same. You look almost just like me. You are a noticeable person. I can't put you in that kind of danger. Your mother would never forgive me. I would never forgive myself." And it broke his heart to tell him that since he knew how much his eldest child wanted to follow in his footsteps. There was more to gain from the job than the nightmares of faces and guilt for families he'd never meet but his son stood out in a crowd. He was a hybrid, which was more memorable than a pure blood, and his particular mixed blood was not as common as other hybrids. Such as the mixing of the water and fire tribes in the south.

Without warning his father stopped moving and he ended up walking past him a short ways before stopping himself and turning Nova blinked with a bit of surprise since it had been an unexpected reaction. "W-well I can wear a cloak." Now he was just begging. Even Nova knew that wearing such a think would make him stand out even more than his hybrid status. It would look as though he was intentionally trying to hide something. Which he would be. So he took a deep breath and let it out slowly. The boy was getting nowhere and he knew it.

"Alright, fine." He finally conceded, though he was none too pleased with the outcome. If he had it his way his father would be the one uttering those words rather than him.

With that Kamden locked his jaw into place and nodded his head with silent affirmation then started to walk again, this time without his side shadow nagging at him. It made the journey a bit more lonely but he could also focus more clearly without the distraction and constant fear that one of his children would be put in harms way because of him. Novali stood watching him go and before too long the large man disappeared around a bend in the trail.

Chewing on the inside of his cheek Nova tried to accept the defeat gracefully but there was just something about being left behind, again, that rubbed him the wrong way. His father had seen his fighting skill. Granted he was no master but he was getting better and better everyday so why couldn't he go along on some of the meetings? Nova had thought that he had explained his life choice to his father well enough that he wouldn't be stopped but it didn't seem to be the case.

"Guess I just need to keep training." Maybe then his father would accept that he was good enough.

With a solid kick to the dirt path he turned and headed back home. Novali wanted to get back before his sister tried to go looking for him. It would be just his luck that she would come after him and end up getting hurt. So he picked up his pace to a jog to cut the time by a few minutes.

When he came within eyesight of his home he saw his sister, Nevlei, standing in the front yard looking around. Novali smiled to himself as he shook his head. "I knew it.." He chuckled.

As her eyes finally landed on her brother the younger sibling lit up with a big smile and waited where she was. Once he was close enough she lifted one hand and waved at him. "Novali! Where did you go?" Her voice was raised but even still she didn't possess enough lung power to really yell.

"Calm down Nev, I was walking with dad." Nova slowed his pace back down and approached his little sister with a smile. "What are you doing outside anyways? Didn't mom have a chore for you?" He grinned at her mischievously.

"I don't like sewing." There was a pout behind her words.

"Ah, it's not so bad. Come on, I'll help you." Always the big brother he put his arm around her shoulders and steered her back into the house. Novali feared that if she exerted too much energy then she would collapse and sewing was a safer activity than running around outside.

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:49 pm
Answers or more questions?
Word Count - 353

There was something weird going on in the world. People were disappearing and he had to admit he was a little worried. Not for himself but for his mother and sister. Even his father. Novali and the rest of the people in the area had no idea what was really going on. Until the day that they were brought together by the leaders. Novali had gone to see what or who was taking the people. His mother and sister had stayed home so that his sister didn't over exert herself. And his father was likely to be around somewhere as well but he hadn't come with Nova.

What was discovered was that people were being kidnapped, more or less, by some kind of creature. It was revealed that the creature was known as the Dretch. They just so happened to be bug like, similar to the Alkidike, but were far different in skill, appearance, and gender. Knowing didn't really put anyone at ease since there was still the question of how and why the Dretch were taking people without leaving a trace. There was evidence of a struggle, sure, but beyond that there was nothing. It was more than a little concerning.

Did he need to worry about his mother? His sister? His father? Novali had to wonder what the motivations behind the attacks were. Had someone disturbed the Dretch? Were they out for revenge? Were they looking for something or someone that had been taken from them? Not that he really thought any of those reasons was good enough to start kidnapping people en mass but who was he to judge? He had dreams of becoming the reaper for several unnamed people in the future. Not too much unlike what the Dretch were doing since Nova didn't believe any of those who were taken were alive still.

As the crowd dispersed, left with more questions than answers, Novali shook his head and turned to return home. He knew his mother would be waiting for answers but he was hoping to run into his father and speak with him about a few things.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:17 pm
Word Count - 1047

“Novali!”

The distant sound of someone calling his name reached his ears but all he could focus on was the red liquid glistening on his hands.

“Novali!?”

He blinked slowly, everything around him seemed to be in slow motion and the sound of his breathing was drowning out everything else. His name was called again and this time a pair of hands grabbed him by the shoulders and shook him. That was enough to make the world speed back up and the sound around him seemed to explode. Novali found himself face to face with his father.

“Are you alright?” Kamden asked him with a very scared look on his face.

It took him a moment but he nodded his head and then started to look around with a panic. ”Nevlei!?” He called out the name of his little sister but he didn't see her. Novali have been sure that she was there. It was why he had blood on his hands. He'd saved her. He knew he had. The panic was starting to grip him, that was until his dad grabbed him by the face with both hands and forced him to look at him.

“Your sister is fine. You did good. Nova. You did good.” Kamden kept hold of his face a little longer then let him go when he was sure that his son would not start to panic again.

Nevlei was safe. Novali took a deep breath and nodded then looked down at the blood on his hands. How had he gotten so much if his little sister was safe? Nova did what he could to remember the past few minutes. It was easier said than done since he was sure that he had acted mostly on instinct rather than thought.

Slowly it came back to him and he turned to look at the radaku laying dead not six feet from him. The family familiar. Something had changed in the beast and he had been aggressive toward Nevlei. When he'd seen it for the first time he thought it was beyond odd because the beast was practically in love with Nevlei. She doted on him the most. So why bite the hand that feeds you? Novali remembered rushing over to put himself between his sibling and the radaku to make sure that his precious little sister did not get hurt.

The thing he remembered after that was the beast lounging at him with all teeth bared and a foam dripping from his mouth. It was like he was out for blood and he didn't care whose blood it got. Since this particular radaku was the family pet he had only put his arm out to shield himself, but that had been a mistake. The creature had latched on and clamped down hard with it's jaws. Nova could remember the pain that shot up his arm and the scream of terror that came from behind him. That scream had alerted his parents to the events going on outside and they had rushed out to see what was going on.

Next thing he knew Novali had somehow distanced himself from the pain and the situation. He had reacted with the training that his father had given him. It was like a switch had been switched in his mind. Before he knew what he was doing he was prying the radaku's jaws off his arm and showing no mercy to the threat against his family and body. He had taken his blades and taken out the threat without so much as a second thought. Novali had killed the familiar that he had grown up with.

“Novali.. are you sure you're alright? I know you loved him-”

”I felt nothing.” He interrupted his father. ”I just remember separating myself from the pain and I reacted from there.” Novali shrugged his shoulders as if it was perfectly normal.

On the inside, though, he was really thinking back over his actions. He had felt nothing. No pain. No hesitation. Even now, looking at his family familiar, there was no emotion that he felt for the beast. It was like he was cold on the inside. When he looked back at his father he noticed that the man was looking at him with a serious expression.

“That is normal when you kill. Usually people don't develop that skill until after their third kill. It protects you from having to feel.” Kamden appeared to dislike that his son had that skill long before he had ever been out on contract.

Novali felt a twitch in his face that was a half a smile. To know that he had a natural skill that assassins needed made him think that he had definitely chosen the right path. ”Well, at least we know I am a good killer.” He was still looking at his dad when he noticed that he was getting a very unusual look. ”What?”

“Does your arm hurt?” His father motioned toward the arm that had been injured.

When Novali looked down he saw his mother was already tending to him. She was pouring alcohol on the puncture wounds but he still didn't feel it. With a shake of his head he looked back at his father but it seemed that response was not the one his dad wanted.

“Novali, damnit, allow yourself to feel again. Don't get stuck in the emotionless state.” There was real concern for his son in his voice.

At first he didn't understand. How could he just allow himself to feel what wasn't there? His gaze dropped back down to the arm that was being tended to. His father was right though, he should feel the pain, feel his mother working on it. Feel anything. There was a pause in his thought process before he really focused on his arm. If he hadn't made the conscious decision to distance himself how was he supposed to make the conscious decision to bring it back? Could he bring it back?

”I can't. I don't want to.” He didn't understand why his father couldn't see that the gift to separate himself in such a way would make him the best at his chosen profession. It would be his key to success.

(( In this growth Novali discovers that he has the ability to distance himself from his actions and he decides that he will stay that way to become a better assassin much to his father's disappointment. ))

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

◈ Journals

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas