Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:32 pm
User Image
Name: Owaen
Stage: Youngling
Race: Lightning
3 Base Traits: Friendly, Stand Alone, prickly
Personality:
Friendly - Owaen can be one of the most friendly of people you can come across. With his want to see people happy and enjoying life, he's happily give some things away free if it brought joy in the end. But his friendliness can only stretch so far. He has a real problem with getting burned if he extends a hand to the wrong people. Those that take his kindness and friendliness as a weakness and try to reap more rewards then others.

Gentlemanly - Owaen also has a gentlemanly personality, always towards the ladies. It won't matter if he's in his establishment or out on the streets. Helping those older then himself with carrying things or even just a young girl who is lost. Just an overly kind and generous guy who wants to better the world around him in anyways he can. (Prentice+ Trait)

Prickly - But all these are well and good, Owaen has a prickly side, where he is much like a cactus when something has him in a mood. Could be anything from someone trying to start a bar fight to people beating up another without cause. These can ware on him to the point he becomes someone you don't really want to be around. Even with his slim build, he has been known to break a glass in his hand. Also in this state, he has no qualms with tossing people out of his bar.

Stand Alone - While he did grow up around many others, tangling with some one the streets, Owaen has taken on a stand alone temperament. When it comes down to fighting, either shouting matches or straight up brawls, Owaen would do things on his own. Sometimes he can be a really stubborn soul when it comes to a fight where the odds are against him.

Rough and Tumble - Given to his past, his lack of a stable mother figure, growing up with just a male parental figure. Owaen can get a little rough and loud. In his youth he got into a few fights with others, kids mostly. Picked up a bad habit or two from the local street kids.

Description: Tall for an earthling nearly reaching the limit at a 5'5" tall(when he grows), Owaen has a somewhat slender build, but is no weakling by far. With that fiery orange hair with small braid behind his right ear. His eyes almost an amethyst color. Owaen always has that kind looking face, that can turn to one of a nightmare when someone starts a fight in his establishment. He has a few small crystals along the side of his face, more down his spine.
Clothing: -
Accessories: Only really a feather charm that is attached to his braid.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:32 pm
History
Belrea, with all its splendor. It's greatness in advancing technology, the buildings that grow ever larger towards the skies. Deep in the darkness of the back alleyways and dead ends, small feet slap the hard packed ground as small street urchins rummage for things. Most wearing semi decent clothing, but still sporting holes in the knees of their pants or their shirts being too big for their thin frames. One street urchin, his head capped with a mop or fiery orange hair scampered from one shadow to another. His dark purple eyes watching those on the streets walk with all their finery. He was jealous of them, jealous of them all and the world that had lead him to this pit.

The lad's life hadn't started out the greatest. He was the first born to a young lightening couple. His mother loved him from the day he was birthed, it was his father that had denounced that they were not ready for a child, nor did he personally want it. They didn't have the money to raise the child and he demanded her to get rid of it. His mother however didn't want to just turn her newborn out into the cold so soon. It was one night when his father was passed out in the kitchen, a glass in hand.

"Come one my little one." his mother whispered as she picked up the swaddling from his crib and wrapped him in a warm blanket. Fearing her husband would kill her son, "This home is no longer safe for you."

The night was cold and the rain poured in buckets to the ground. No one was out, not even the lamps lite. The rain kept everyone inside, where his mother wished they could have lived together. To be a family was something she had hoped, but now it was being torn away. What was the use of having a child to just get rid of it? She could only shake her head as she swiftly made her away from their home.

Weaving her way through the streets at the late hour, rain making it hard to see. The woman didn't know just where she was going, the lamps giving very little light in the storm.

--------------------------

Years passed and Owaen was darting in and out of the shadows like the rest, his purple gaze watching those who could own finer things. He hated them and like his group, lifted coin and things they thought of value from them. When they weren't caught that is, It was one day, Owaen stalked after a sharply looking Lightening. With his fine shirt and pants, there was a silver chain hanging out one pocket of a vest. He wanted that chain and whatever laid on the end of it. Shouldn't have been too hard to lift, right? Owaen was about to learn a hard lesson.

Owaen watched this Lighting fellow for days, planning out how he was going to lift the silver chain and its contents from him. The leader's words rolling through his head, 'Don't come back without something or you don't eat.' Owaen hadn't eaten in days. His stomach growled loudly, he feared his target would hear. In and out of the shadows he went, darting into an alley as the Fellow turned and looked behind him as if he heard something. Waiting a moment, Owaen peered out again to follow the man. He seemed to be heading towards a stout building with a sign read 'Averin's Roost'.

'Sorry for the wait Lynom, had a couple errands to run before opening.' the words drifting across the street as the Lightening greeted a youthful Gaien lad. He too was finely dressed, this made Owaen shiver with jealousy.

'Don't worry about it Mick,' Lynom answered as he followed Mick inside. 'Seems you have a tail today'

"Oh, I know, seen him a couple times, but don't let him hear. Come on, time to set up and open." Mick pulled Lynom into the building and out of sight.

Now was his chance, he could sneak into this place as easily as a Averin. Skipping over to the side of the building, the door was left open to expose the dark inside to the air. There was a musty smell, one of alcohol and sweat. There was also the smell of a firepit, as one laid in the center surrounded by toothed stones to keep the fire from escaping. The two men moved around the inside pulling chairs off tables and placing bottles along the shelves behind a large hardwood counter. Edging around the walls, Owaen's gaze was on Mick who was pulling large mugs and tankards from cabinets.

'Almost there', Owaen thought before hands landed on his shoulders almost shoving him to the ground, he was caught.

"Well, what have we got here?" Lynom said with a chuckle as Owaen pulled away from the Gaien and turned around quickly. "Easy now, you look like you've seen better days."

"I ain' lifted nothing from ya!" Owaen shouted, his eyes large.

"No one said you did." Lynom laughed as Mick leaned against the counter.

"Then why sneak up on like ya do?" He accused, trying to watch both.

"Just wondered why a young kid like yourself was running around the streets without a mother or father around." Mick spoke, casually, trying to not be threatening.

"Ain' got one, don' need one." was Owaen's answer. "Sides, they no want me in first place. Gotta steal to eat, gotta eat to live."

Mick and Lynom looked at each other, Mick shook his head. He was always trying to help those on the streets, but sometimes it didn't help much. Now here was a young lad in his bar, smart as he was and crafty, but not as much as he had liked. No, Owaen had taken the bait to enter the tavern, to try and steal something from Mick.

"No folk huh? Sounds rough." Lynom said moving away towards a door behind the counter. "I'll get the fire going."

"Good, throw a couple salted skewers on when its blazing." Mick called back as he watched Owaen.

"Whatcha gonna do with me now? Call someon' to get me?" Fear in his voice, Owaen had heard talk of what happens to urchins who get caught. They go to homes where they are beat worse then on the streets. Some tell of them killing kids and selling their meat like beasts. Or worse... Shaking his head, long fiery bangs hiding his face, the only sound that rang through the room was laughter from Mick.

"You're a smart kid, but no, I'm not going to call anyone. Better, you're going to work for me." Mick pointed out as Lynom came from the back with a plate with food, Owaen's gaze followed the plate.

((Still working, red is new stuff. xD ))  

Kesmi

Shapeshifter

Elyessi
Crew

Married Bum

10,575 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:21 pm
Hi Kesmi!

Just so you are aware, if you are questing for a youngling you will still need to purchase items for when they grow if you wish for them to match the description. Just wanted to clear it up because of confusion in the past smile

Unfortunately, Lightning characters only grow crystals down their spine. Can you clarify this in your form to say spine, and not back? Also just for the artists, do you have a specific side in mind for the crystals on his face?

History

Orphanages are somewhat available in Tendaji, especially in larger cities. With a mother loving him enough to take him away from his father, I guess I'm struggling to understand why she'd leave him in garbage, because the chances of him dying are so much higher than being found. I feel like they'd at least leave him on a doorstep or somewhere with more probability of safety. I'm not not very certain about how realistic that part of his background would be.

Personality
I'm seeing a disconnect for his personality compared to his history. Can you provide an additional overview of his history just for how he transitions from the street urchin to the charming barkeep? Just so I can understand how he was able to shake such things as a lack of trust or need for survival on the streets? Or maybe another trait in terms of his trust for others? Does he trust people, or is his mentality still every man for himself? I understand some of these are stage 2 traits, but I guess with his history and his traits being different stages, I'm struggling to really understand the character you will have when this is approved.

Very excited to see him come into play!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:43 pm
Fixed the spine, thing, didn't think there was much difference, since the spine is down your back. xD My oops there. And I don't have much of a pref on what side of his face, give the colorist a bit of free play there. With the clothing and such, I know I will have to pay for the things, its just an idea of how he will be dressed in further stages.

With his history, his mother didn't want to be seen or asked questions to why he was left alone. And she feared that she would be seen as a horrible person for giving up her child. She had much pride, even if her husband likes to try and beat it out of her. I can add more of that into his history if you would like. But babies are often found in trashcans and such. *Shrugs* I might just be a morbid minded person. Who knows.

With his personality, let me think more on that one. xD I will get back to ya soon, I hope.  

Kesmi

Shapeshifter

Miss Chief aka Uke

Rainbow Fairy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:22 pm
Quote:
With his history, his mother didn't want to be seen or asked questions to why he was left alone. And she feared that she would be seen as a horrible person for giving up her child. She had much pride, even if her husband likes to try and beat it out of her. I can add more of that into his history if you would like. But babies are often found in trashcans and such. *Shrugs* I might just be a morbid minded person. Who knows.

This doesn't answer Ely's question. If she didn't want to be seen or asked questions about why he was left alone, why is the garbage favorable to other, safer and less suspicious options? She sounds, in your history blurb, as though she wants the child to survive. If a woman lays an infant beside a pile of rubbish in the cold and rainy night, why would she expect the infant to survive? That sounds like the worst possible night and conditions and place to do it, and wouldn't the immediate screaming be likely to alert someone? Wouldn't leaving the child there be more odd and noticable and frowned upon to anyone if they happened to be about than somewhere less hostile and dangerous? If there wasn't anyone around, couldn't she have just as discretely chosen a slightly better location?

I understand she knows the house isn't the best place for him, but the garbage does not make sense to me unless she had a particular hate for the child, had absolutely no other options (for some reason which isn't apparent here), or was under the influence of some kind of inhibiting substance which wasn't making her think clearly. Yes, orphan children end up in bad positions sometimes, but no, babies are not "often" left in trash cans. I'd really like some clarification here. XD  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:43 pm
I'm going to be rewriting the history to try and match up with everything.  

Kesmi

Shapeshifter

Elyessi
Crew

Married Bum

10,575 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:11 pm
I dont think you need to rewrite the whole thing, but just the circumstance where he is left alone. Let's say she leaves him outside of an orphanage, and he starts crying late at night. Maybe the urchins walk up anyway and have a conversation about it?  
◈ Character Quests

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games