As the days leading up to the birth of her cubs drew nearer, Umthunzi found herself reminiscing about her youth. The days where sand found itself stuck between her toes and behind her ears.

"I'll tell you a story my mother told me." Her words were as gentle as the hum of the crickets that invaded the still of the cool night.

"While I don't possess it, my mother has the mother beautiful marking around her neck with the symbol of a sun in the middle. It is bright against her red pelt as if made of gold. She told me one day after training that it's a sign of power in our line. That we're descendants of the champion of the sun who came to free the founding lionesses of my mother's--your grandmother's--pride, the Lucani.

They were prisoners in their own pride, subjugated, without rights. Worship of the sun, a symbol of hope as it always rises for us, was outlawed. Outraged at the treatment of her daughters, the sun sent her champion to free them. They became the Lucani. The first freed, became the leader of the pride and bred with the champion to..produce us. I pray one of you receives this blessing that my family covets so for you will be champions. You are born of fire and sand and love. You will be more powerful than you will realize while you are small and even if the sun does not mark your neck, it will burn inside of you all."

The story burned at her heart and it wasn't until she felt something hit her paw that Umthunzi realized she was crying.

She missed her home. She missed her mother, father, siblings, family...This place had Tawa, but that was it. These lions were not her family, but she was making it so. Soon. Her eyes went back to her swollen belly that impeded her daily activity. It was about time to head off to have these cubs. Their activity peaked higher each day than the day before and soon enough they would demand to join the world. Groaning, Umthunzi rolled over onto her side. "Tomorrow..." she mumbled. It was always tomorrow. Maybe she could rope Tawa into getting Gede for her instead of having to do that errand herself.

Her mind wandered and a smile spread over her face as everything became fuzzy, eyes too heavy to keep open as they slid closed. Just a nap. Then preparations. Real preparations. Umthunzi already knew she'd have Gede scolding her for waiting so long to actually start doing anything sooner. Soon enough the expecting mother drifted off to dreams of more familiar days filled with sand and the warmth of the sun. Tawa was even there with his promises to stay with her, just like he had made in their youth when they were young and stupid.