Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:16 am
Choosing a Path

WC - 1066

After being returned home and to the waiting arms of her mother, V'demhe walked back to the house with her head down. Despite the elderly Alkidike loving her daughter she was none too pleased to have learned that she had stowed away on a boat. “Do you know how worried I was, Dem?” Her voice, though it was low, held a harsh tone. As the little one shook her head in answer her mother took a deep breath. “I thought I had lost you forever, that Aisha had taken you from me.” At the end V'demhe heard her mother's voice crackle slightly and it made her lower her head even more. “I'm sorry, mother, I wasn't thinking.” In fact she was but not about how others would feel.

Opening the door, her mother sighed and shook her head. It pained the elderly woman to have to punish her child but it was needed. “You are grounded, V'demhe, and you will be doing chores.” Perhaps taking the girl's play freedom away it would get through to her. V'demhe frowned but nodded her head. “Yes, mother.” The youngling entered the house and went to the kitchen. She figured her mother would make her start in there and she was right. “You will help with dinner.” The tall Alkidike followed her child in and started to rummage through things to get ready for cooking.

“Mother, when I'm older I'd like to move to Jauhar.” Dem took the risky move of mentioning it to her parent. It wasn't because she wanted to be away from the old woman, but more so to be close to a friend. “Why would you want to do that?” Came the reply as her mother grabbed a knife to cut the vegetables. There was silence as V'demhe thought about what to say. In the end she decided it was best to tell her mother the truth. “I have a friend there. She's very pretty. Her colors are different from ours and her name is Teiluj.” The mention of the girl's colors being different from their own made her mother pause what she was doing and turn her head to look at her. “Oh? Is she Alkidike?”

She chewed on the inside of her cheek as she tried to think of the best way to answer the question. “She is Teiluj.” Dem brought her shoulders up in a light shrug. “She has antennae like us, but she is pale and blue with light colored hair.” Grinning she moved closer to her parent so that she could actually begin to help. The elderly Alkidike looked down and began to slice the food in thought. She was attempting to recall if she knew any born that fit that description. If she did it was elusive to her memory. “How do you plan to live in Jauhar then? If you are irresponsible it will be too dangerous.” The woman warned her daughter.

This was a good question and one that V'demhe took the time to mull over as she grabbed a bowl for her mother to put the vegetables into. She would need to be able to defend herself from anyone and anything. With that thought alone she slowly grinned and turned her face up to her mother. “I will become the greatest Amazon. That way I can keep my friends and family safe.” To prove that she had the strength to do it she held up one arm and flexed her tiny muscles. Oh yes, she would show her mother that she could be responsible. She would also prove to Maya that she could be strong. V'demhe had to show Maya that she could, maybe then the sour woman would stop glaring at her as if she were a waste of space.

The girl's mother chuckled at the display of strength that was being put on. “Oh? Well you will have to prove that you have the will to become one.” It was here that she turned her head to give a pointed look at her child. V'demhe offered up a sheepish grin. “I will. I promise I will.” When the bowl she had gotten was full she moved to set it aside and grab another one. “Oh child, if you keep getting into trouble then I doubt anyone will allow you to become an Amazon. After all, they are greatly respected by our people.” A brow arched upward on the mother's face, a silent scolding to the little one for her behavior recently.

V'demhe nodded at her mother. “I know, Mother, I will behave better from now on.” After all, she would need to if she wanted to prove that she had what it took to reach her goal. And once she was a respectable member of Alkidike society then she could maybe convince the others to allow her friend to come to the isle. Even if they wouldn't let her near Aisha, Dem just wanted Teiluj to be able to set foot on the island shore. Just once. “I plan to bring Teiluj here so she can see the isle.” V'demhe moved to set the second bowl down and went around the elderly woman so that she could grab two cups, one for each of them, and bring them back. Holding them up to her mother she would wait until her hands were empty and ready to pour them some water. “Dear, I am not sure others will allow it. If she is as you say, then she is not a pure Alkidike.” To this she felt sorry for her daughter, but who knew, maybe things would change when the time came. “But she is part Alkidike and for that reason she has already been accepted by Aisha, right mother?”

This made the woman smile fondly at her child. “Yes, Dem..” She wanted so much to sit her child down and explain everything to her, but right now she didn't want to dash the little one's dreams to see her friend on her home island. So instead she motioned for her daughter to set the table so that they might eat. “Once dinner is finished then you are to clean your room and fold the blankets.” There were many other chores that would be done as well. Despite the now good terms they were on, V'demhe would still be punished for leaving the island on her own.

Used as Class Choice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:43 am
A Trip
WC - 464

She had made plans with her mother that they could move to Jauhar together, but things seemed to have taken a turn that led V'demhe to leave on her own. She had limped her way home after the fight in the marketplace, something to which she did get a scolding as she thought she would, and then explained to her mother that she was worried for her friend on the mainlands. The elderly Alkidike had understood that her daughter was worried and so she had not even attempted to stop her. Dem was thankful to her parent for that.

Finding safe passage across the deep waters had been easy. Though in the long run, V'demhe had not thought to bring much as far as supplies. Given that she had packed and left in a hurry she had spent little time thinking of her own needs. So by the time she reached the other shores she was tired and hungry. Not that that stopped her at all. The Amazon to be was not going to stop to think of her own needs. What if her friend was in danger? Or worse, had already been hurt? Those thoughts had spurred Dem onward, though she was going off memory from when she was a youngling. So how accurate her journey was depended on how well she remembered where she had wandered off to at that time.

Walking through the forests, she couldn't help but trail her finger tips along the tree trunks. It brought her peace. To be in contact with something connected to Aisha was a blessing. The wonderful coloring of the fungus and foliage just made the trip even more wonderful. Just as amazing as she had remembered it from her last trip. A smile spread across her lips and she toyed with the metal ring that was embedded in her skin. It had been something she had wanted after seeing a Sacred Heart with something similar. V'demhe had decided then that taking up a warrior's appearance was going to help in keeping her mind on her goal. She wanted to become an Amazon to protect her friends and family.

And that also tied in to her trip now. She only prayed that she wasn't too late or that the one she was going to protect thought ill of her now. It would break her heart if either of those were to prove true. Dem was unsure of how she would be able to face the hybrid if she were too late to prevent her from being harmed. Or even if she was accused of being an extremist. Pushing those depressing thoughts to the side she decided to jog the rest of the way, hoping she could at least get there in time for one.

Used for Prentice Growth

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:18 am
Finding a Fur Baby
WC - 1539

Time in Jauhar was relaxing so far. V'demhe had gotten to spend time with her friend; to make sure she was alright. Now all that remained was to wait until her mother sent word that she was ready to move. Of course there was no telling when that would be since her mother was elderly and she didn't much like to leave the isle. Dem wouldn't rush her, however, because she knew that her mother loved her home. It wouldn't surprise her to know that her mother changed her mind and couldn't cross the deep waters to the mainland. A smile broke out on her face at the thought of it.

Walking through the forest, her pace slow and her head tilted backward, she seemed to enjoy the quiet nature. It brought peace to her. Even more so to know these trees, this forest, was connected to Aisha. Dem held her hands out and brushed her finger tips along the bark, feeling the roughness and sometimes even the occasional vine or two that had wrapped it's way around the base. This was her day until she heard the sound of something strange.

It was a noise that was similar to an animal in distress and it made V'demhe's ear twitch. Her walking stopped and she practically held her breath as she listened. Sensing the world around her she did her absolute best to pin point just where the noise was coming from. When the animal let out another call her antennae seemed to do the twitching this time and she was thankful that the beast had done something to alert her to where it was. Turning her head to the right she studied the forest, looking for signs of movement. Or of anything really. When nothing stood out she moved. Rather than keep her feet in the straight forward path she had been on she made her whole body go toward the sound.

Light on her feet she darted between trees and searched. There was a beast around here somewhere and it was in need of something. Dem only hoped it wasn't caught in a hunter's trap. In good faith she couldn't mess with someone's catch but she wouldn't want to see the beast suffer. That would be a hard choice for her. Let it go or not.

Luckily that was not the case. What she found was large female radaku. There were no traps, or even wounds, but she was definitely in distress. The poor thing was trying to give birth but it looked as though there were complications. V'demhe furrowed her brow slightly, staring at the creature for a moment before she lifted her hands to show she was unarmed. Approaching slowly she allowed the mother to be to eye her, sniff her, and even growl before she lowered herself to the ground. “Easy there, mama. I'm here to help.” Not that the alkidike knew anything about healing or birthing and the like.

With one hand she reached out and stroked the radaku, doing her best to ease her stress. “Shhh.” One of the first things she took notice of was the way the poor thing was breathing quickly, as if panicked or in pain. Dem drew her lip ring into her mouth and toyed with it as she took a moment to think about what to do to help the female to give birth more easily. “Alright, mama, I'm gonna feel your belly.” She spoke to the radaku as she let her hand continue to pet her. It seemed to be enough to help calm the creature and that made Dem give her a reassuring smile. “That's it.. calm down.” Moving her other hand to join in on the petting she felt the lower part of the female's stomach. There was no movement.

Then again V'demhe wasn't sure there was supposed to be movement. She scoffed at herself. Maybe she should look into some medical know how as well as fighting skills. Who knew she would need it? Certainly not her. Taking in a deep breath she did her best to figure out what it was she was supposed to do to help the awaiting mother to pass her cub. As her hand rested on the belly of the beast she felt the tightening of muscles as her body tried to expel the baby it held. It gave Dem an idea too.

“Hopefully this works.” She gave a look to the radaku, who was eyeing her wearily, and nodded her head. “You ready girl?” And with that she gently rubbed. Her hand worked along with the body of the animal to help push the cub out. It seemed to work since she could feel the lump that was the newborn moving toward the exit. V'demhe didn't want to actually be on that end so she avoided it. Her focus remained on the belly as she massaged the overworked muscles. Within seconds the cub fell out and the panting mother laid her head on the ground looking exhausted. “There, see. That wasn't so bad.” The alkidike smiled at the radaku.

The newly birth cub nosed around on wobbly legs making some kind of ruckus. It was enough to make Dem's antennae and ears twitch but it also made her grin. “Well you certainly have a good pair of lungs on you.” With a chuckle she shook her head at the little thing. It was a mess and collecting dirt as it attempted to do some type of exploring. When it fell over and ended up rolling in the dirt V'demhe reached out to pick it up and bring it close to it's mother. “Come here you.” She was easy with the cub and stroked it's back tenderly as she brought it close.

Delighted to hold the tiny thing she nuzzled it for a moment. Figuring that the mother would be anxious she moved to place the cub with her but paused mid way. There was no breath coming from the beast. Looking at the radaku's face she noticed there was no life. The mother had passed. Protectively she brought the baby back toward her, sharing her warmth so that it wouldn't shiver. Dem sat there for a moment, staring at the body of the mother wondering what had gone wrong and if it had been her fault. It was enough to make her eyes water. “I'm sorry little guy..” She spoke in a whisper.

Knowing she couldn't abandon the cub she stood and looked around. V'demhe knew little about the creatures to know if another new mother would accept a foreign cub or not so she made the decision to take care of the babe on her own. First thing she needed to do was find something for it to eat and a small blanket. Dem turned away from the body of the mother and started to walk in the direction she had been going before. Thankfully she had been on her way to the nearest town and there she could find a market.

With the cub making noise and nosing about at her she felt bad. She could not offer anything to the little thing until they reached the town. Keeping the baby close she picked up her pace but made sure not to jar the poor thing too much. Last thing she wanted was to walk into the market holding a dead cub. That would make her lose it for sure. V'demhe was determined to save the baby she held in her hands. It would become hers if need be. She would gladly take care of the radaku. After all, she had been wanting one of her own for some time now. Perhaps this was Aisha's way of granting her that gift.

If she had not been present at the time, mother and cub both would have expired. At least this way one survived and would be cared for. A smile spread across her lips and she looked down at the cub in her hands. It was her first time truly noticing the colors that were speckled across it. All shades of blues. And it was a boy to boot. “I think I'll call you... Maha.” Lovingly she kissed it's nose then focused on where it was they were going. The warmth of her body was keeping the cub warm enough for now. The only thing she worried about was what it would eat. Milk, of course.

In a hurry she made it to the town that was close by and made a bee-line straight for the market. It would be no time at all before she had a small blanket wrapped around the cub and soon after milk for it to eat. V'demhe found a quiet place to sit with her new companion and dipped her finger into the milk then held it out for the cub to suckle. The two did this for some time, at least until the little one was full and yawned. As the pup went to sleep in her lap Dem gently stroked two fingers down his spine. “That a boy, Maha.” Already she felt a strong connection to the little beast and it made her smile contently.

Used in Prentice growth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:50 pm
Training

WC - 1004

V'demhe had told her mother about her desires to be an Amazon and even about her interest in the dual blades that she had in her room. As such her elderly mother had smiled at her fondly and gave her the precious weapons. Entrusting them into her care. So now the Alkidike was outside behind their modest house practicing how to use them without hurting herself more than her intended target. It didn't take much but she wanted to be sure that she wouldn't make any mistakes. After all, if she made a mistake in a real battle then it could be devastating, if not fatal. And to make things a bit more complicated for her, her mother would throw a stick at her every once in a while. Something that she had been confused about at first.

However, now it was clear that it was being done to help her focus. Dem needed to not only be aware of her target but also her surroundings. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. The blades struck the large log that had been erected as her opponent and she moved her body fluidly. In her mind she could hear her mother's voice critiquing her. It had been that way the first time they had done this so now she kept those words close to her so that she could be perfect. Tap. Tap. Clack. Tap. Thud. Her speed increased. And increased more. She was trying to see just how fast she could be with her blades without cutting herself. Dem knew she needed to make the blades a part of her, an extension of her own arms, in order to be efficient. Faster! She thought to herself. V'demhe's goal was to be completely deadly with the dual weapons of her choice.

A thin layer of sweat was now covering her body as she worked and her muscles were starting to burn. It was a comforting pain that she seemed to welcome with open arms. V'demhe went into another series of attacks, hitting with her blades a few times then spinning so that she would land a heel in the side of the log. Before she could finish she caught sight of a stick being thrown at her so she spun away and slashed out with a razor sharp weapon. Slice. The metal of the blade went right through the dying wood. As it fell to the ground she steadied her feet and took a deep breath. It was needed to center her mind as well as her body.

Her eyes moved so that she could look at her mother, though she kept her body and head still, and before a word could be uttered she was being bombarded with a shower of sticks in varying sizes. Dem gave a small smirk, a mere twitching of the corner of her mouth, then took a step forward to meet with the new opponent. Using her blades the alkidike would cut through some, tap others away then spin out of the way of others. Every move she made was calculated and graceful. It didn't take much from her to take out the sticks so her mother threw in another obstacle. Whoa! She had a split second to go wide eyed before she needed to act. A live chicken was thrown at her in the midst of everything else. Dem knew she was not to harm it so instead she managed to sheath just one of her blades and catch the bird as she turned on one foot. The remaining blade did what it could and she brought her foot up to kick away the rest.

When all was said and done she stood, a frightened chicken in one hand a blade in the other and her breathing was coming in gasps. She knew that a real fighter would have the discipline to control their breathing but there wasn't much she could do about that now. The workout had taken quite a bit out of her. As her mother clapped her hands and gave a nod, V'demhe relaxed. Releasing the bird so that it could cluck and run away to safety she put her other weapon away and leaned her head back. In her mind she was thinking of how to better improve her moves, what she could do better. There had been a few times that she had gotten hit with sticks. While she hadn't noticed at the time she could feel their rotting bark sticking to her sweaty flesh.

Dem was pulled from her thoughts by a thick cloth being draped over her face. Her mother had thrown it to her but she had been too busy to notice. Reaching up she'd pull it from her face and give a look to her elderly parent only to find her aunt standing next to her. Quickly the girl stood straight and did her best to wipe the sweat and dirt from her face and neck. There was a disapproving look in her aunt's eyes and it made V'demhe wonder what it was that she had done wrong this time. Likely a combination or footwork. Her dark eyes watched as her aunt turned and walked away so that she could head into the house and soon her mother followed. Dem watched them go and stared for a moment. It was then that she realized that she was to go in along with them. With an inward cringe she started to wipe her arms down and head that way. At the door she had to pause due to what she heard.

The conversation from inside was drifting outward to her and it wasn't about her fighting style. It was about finding a mate. Giving a groan the alkidike rolled her shoulders and steeled her spine before she walked in, ready to face her aunt and mother on a whole new field of battle. One she wasn't sure if she could win or even where to begin the fight. It was going to be a long afternoon.

Un-usable

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:55 pm
Teaching New Tricks

WC - 669

Radaku pup in hand V'demhe walked a few paces then stopped. She bent down and set the little thing on the ground so that she could take a step back. The blue baby didn't know what was going on and tried to follow her. Sticking a finger out she shook her head. “No no, stay there.” The alkidike knew that the poor thing likely thought she was going to abandon him, but she wanted to work with him on learning a few things. First she wanted to make sure that if she ever needed him to come to her side that he knew the command to do so. Dem took another step back, still pointing at the radaku puppy so that he understood not to follow. When he gave a whine and put a paw out on the ground as if to follow her V'demhe shook her head. “No.” He paused and stared at her with another whine.

She couldn't help the smile that spread over her lips and even made her eyes soften. “I am not leaving you, Maha.” She reassured the pup. Once he was staying still she knelt down and gave a shrill whistle. Maha's head tilted to the side curiously. Dem made the sound again and held her hand out for him, hoping he would understand that she wanted him to come to her then. The pup moved but she was certain it was only because her hand was out. When he pounced on her hand she gave a chuckle. “You little goof.” Rewarding him with a full rub down and gentle play she couldn't help the laughter that escaped every time he fell over. He had to be the clumsiest radaku. When he tried to bite her fingers she shook her head at him again, this time with a grin. “Careful, you'll hurt your teeth.”

Maha rolled, unintentionally, to his side and became a ball of flailing legs as he tried to right himself. V'demhe giggled at his antics and reached out to help him get back on his feet. Once he was standing again she brushed the dirt from him. “What am I gonna do with you?” The smile that was constantly on her face because of the pup was welcome, even when it hurt her cheeks. Dem was already attached to the little thing and couldn't imagine not being with him. “I think mother will like you too.” He was a gentle beast, and she wasn't sure if that was because he was being completely raised by her or if it was just his personality. She hoped it was from both.

“Want to try again little blue?” She used an affectionate nickname for him and picked him up so that she could stretch and set him away from her once more. He did the usual of trying to come to her and she shook her head while pointing her finger. With a whine he sat on the ground and watched her. When she gave the whistle this time she didn't hold her hand out. Dem was curious to see if he would come all on his own. When he practically jumped to his feet and came lopping at her she gave a snort of laughter. “Good boy, Maha.” She scooped him up and brought him close so that she could cuddle him. He had other plans and went straight to licking at her face. V'demhe leaned her head back and tried to move it away from him. “No, stop that.” The young alkidike did her best to appear as though she was disapproving of the puppy kisses, but it was just too cute. Grinning from ear to ear she pulled the radaku away from her and stared at him. “Oh you are going to be a trouble maker.” Of that she was sure but she also secretly looked forward to it. Spending time with her familiar would bring her happiness and she hoped he would be happy with her as well.

Used in Prentice growth

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:51 pm
The Aftermath

WC - 1483

Her body lay across the blue radaku as he walked. V'demhe was too injured from her mission to remain conscious. It was a product of pain, blood loss, and exhaustion. In her attempt to please the elders she'd hurried her travels. The Alkidike had barely rested at all. Then she'd pushed her limits once more when she had to face down the extremist village leader. Dem had paid for it. Even now as she lay unconscious on Maha's back she was paying for it. The cuts she'd sustained were dirty and open becoming infected.

The poor beast didn't know where to take his owner. He'd not been told what to do in situations like this. The only thing that registered to him was that V'demhe was hurt and he couldn't go back to the village that had hurt her. So he walked on through the forest, carrying her weight. His ears were constantly alert, listening to the sounds around them to see if they were followed. Maha would defend his owner if he had to. She was like a mother to him.

Not too long after they escaped he caught a whiff of something familiar. A scent that he recalled. Not that the beast could tell if it was a place or person. Not yet. It was too faint. He steered them toward it, making slow progress as he worried about V'demhe's balance. Since she was unable to hold on, the radaku had to be conscious of his own movements.

Just as he felt his load slipping they made it into the clearing of a village. The animal thought it was somewhere he'd been before but he wouldn't be able to tell without his owner to confirm it. The sight of Maha with an Alkidike on his back was enough to turn several heads. However, when Dem fell off and hit the ground it inspired reactions. Another of her tribe came over to check on her, concerned for her downed sister. When it became clear she was in need of a healer the woman called out some orders. The radaku understood none of them since she didn't speak the way his amazon did to him. All he saw was more like her coming over to lift his person off the ground.

Maha became anxious and followed closely, nudging his head into the hand of V'demhe that dangled down. He was trying to wake her, get any kind of reaction from her. When she made no move nor said a thing he whined.

In a flurry of sisters and a healer V'demhe was ushered into a hut and placed on a bed, though she was rolled to her side so that her wounds could be inspected. Maha was told to stay outside but he was granted a clear view of his mother through the door way. His head tilted this way and that as he watched the healer poke at Dem's wounds. The reopened and bled or leaked puss. And even through all of this V'demhe didn't stir. Soon the radaku was pacing.

Her wounds needed cleaning and since they were so embedded with dirt and grime the healer had to take a knife to the already open and raw wounds. She dug out what didn't belong and this is what brought V'demhe around. She cried out as the pain coursed through her. Dem didn't know where she was. Her body burned hot with fever and she breathed heavily. She even tried to fight but felt fleshy restraints. A sharp liquid made contact with the broken skin and she cried out again. Dem would have screamed but she had little energy.

The healer did her best to clean out the wounds, flushing them of the puss that lurked and wiping away the dirt. Her work was regularly interupted when V'demhe fought. She wriggled her body and tensed her muscles as she gritted and growled at those around her. All this extra energy wasted. The healer shook her head, disapproving of the Alkidike's antics, but she understood the girl was taken by fever. If not more. Giving instructions to the other sisters to hold her still the woman with the healing hands perpared to stitch the severed skin together.

Sterilizing a needle was easy. Alcohol and fire. Containing V'demhe was the hard part. Even the blue dappled radaku had to be restrained. He was fighting to get to his owner and it was admired by all in the hut. There was only a short pause to watch the beast fight against being held down. Then the door was shut and the sight was gone so everyone focused on the task at hand. They needed to help this sister get the treatment she needed.

When the first needle punctured through skin Dem grunted and tensed. She thought she was calling out for them to stop but she couldn't hear her own voice. Was it gone? When she tried to move her limbs she found them to be too heavy. What was wrong? Had she been captured? Yes, that had to be it. She was captured and they were torturing her. Panting she did her best to endure it but when there was a tug on the edges of the raw skin she screamed. V'demhe had not been expecting that. “I'll never talk!” She spit out.

This continued for some time. The needle going in and coming out, pulling the skin together and making Dem cry out profanities. None of the Alkidike sisters around her understood what she was say or why. They could only speculate. By the end of the procedure V'demhe was exhausted and no one needed to hold her down. She gave half hearted, hoarse cries of pain and drifted in and out of consciousness once more. No longer needed some of the sisters filed out of the hut and went to help with Maha. Since he'd heard his mother cry out repeatedly he'd tried to bite those that kept him away.

As the healer cleaned up the blood that had been the result of tampering with the wounds she dismissed the rest. She needed now to only put a salve over the red, angry, puckered skin to help it heal and lay bandages over top. She did not want to bind them just yet. The healer wanted to see some improvement in the girl's condition first. After the bandages were set she took a damp cloth and wiped the sweat from V'demhe's brow.

Moaning and fluttering her eyes open and closed Dem tried to grasp at what was going on. So far she could make sense of nothing. Her body felt hot and her mind was spinning in circles. It brought to mind the fire at the tip of a certain mystic's arrow. That brought her mind spiraling downward. Disillusioned; Dem saw Aselia release the flaming arrow and it struck her in the back. Pain burst from two points. It had been two arrows. The snide smirk that planted itself on the mystic's face haunted her and she jerked. “No..” V'demhe fought. Physically she was weak as a kitten but in her mind she was raging a war.

A cold chill raced over her body and made her shiver. The chattering of her own teeth making her mind think of something else. Her skin felt damp and she was cold. Had she been swimming? Yes. Yes that was it. She'd been swimming with her friend. “Teiluj.” She called out in her fitful sleep. There was a groan as pain wracked her mind and her dreams turned toward the worst. Her mission and the hate she'd witnessed for hybrids. Knowing she had a friend that was mixed blood. It made her start to panic and she called out for Teiluj again.

The healer knew this name. Though hearing it so suddenly come from the mouth of one of her patients was a bit odd. She sat for a time longer waiting for V'demhe to settle down a bit in her sleep. When she finally did she got up and decided she would send someone to inform the hybrid of what had happened. The healer also thought to let the beast inside with it's owner before it caused injury to those who did not deserve it. Almost instantly Maha was on the bed with Dem and licking at her face, nudging gently and trying to wake her. The woman that had worked so hard to piece the girl back together pointed a finger at the animal and told him to lay next to her and be gentle. Those words Maha knew. Lay and gentle. It made him stare at his owner and give a long, low whine. Finally he did as he was told and rested his head on the uninjured shoulder blade of his mother. He would wait here for her to come around.

Un-useable

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:37 pm
A New Follower
WC - 687

The pain that bothered her caused a wince. She'd done it again. The wound was open and bleeding allover again. V'demhe sighed to herself as she did her best to twist and see just how bad the damage was. Of course she wasn't that flexible so it was a failed attempt. “Teiluj is going to be angry when she finds out.” She commented softly to herself. She could just imagine how her friend would feel about her strenuous activities. Dem didn't like sitting still so she'd prolonged her healing time.

Setting a hand on her familiar's head she let her gaze fall to him. The Alkidike smiled as she was greeted with Maha's curious gaze. “I'm aright, boy, just sore.” Her words were meant to reassure both herself and the blue colored radaku. “Lets find a place to sit and rest.” Dem added. Maha seemed to understand and moved away from her to circle by a tree and settle down to rest. She chuckled at him but followed close behind and sat next to her familiar. “Silly boy.” Once more her hand went to Maha's head but she rubbed at the base of his horns affectionately. Something he seemed to enjoy greatly.

The two were content as they sat there in shared silence. That was until they heard a growl coming from somewhere in the trees in front of them. Maha's fur stood on end and instantly he was bareing his fangs. V'demhe found herself searching the forest for signs of what had made the noise and right as her radaku stood up with his haunches raised she saw it. In the glow of the trees the pink radaku looked unreal. It was crouched low to the ground as it got closer and closer, clearly not heeding any warning signs from Maha.

“Blue Boy.. careful.” She warned her best friend. V'demhe didn't want him to get hurt for the sake of defending her. If it came down to a fight Dem still had her blades. For the time being she watched the other radaku closely as it continued to draw near.

The pink colored radaku got about six feet from them and stopped. She seemed to consider Maha for a moment before her eyes went to V'demhe. The young Alkidike tilted her head as she sat there. The way the beast was looking at her didn't suggest violence. It spoke of curiosity. So Dem reached out her hand and gently touched Maha's side. “Down boy. She's curious.”

When she moved the pink beast gave a growl, a warning, that told Dem to go slower. She settled herself and watched the creature for a while longer, noticing only that it inched it's way forward when it thought her eyes were cast in a different direction. So to trick the radaku into coming closer she turned her head away.

Once it appeared that V'demhe was no longer looking the pink radaku did her best to sneak up on her and sniff. The first thing that really got her attention was the wound and blood that was coming from the pulled open parts. With the beast busy Dem slowly turned her head back so that she could look at her. When she thought the radaku was comfortable enough with her she reached out slowly and gently touched her shoulder.

The pink girl flinched and gave a growl as she looked at V'demhe, however she quieted down when she noticed that Dem wasn't being aggressive. Instead she went back to sniffing. After she became aquainted with the Alkidike's scent she sat down and started to lick at the raw flesh. It wasn't the best sensation but Dem really didn't want to startle the beast.

Maha, as he sat there and watched, was ducking his head and whining every once in a while. He was clearly not comfortable with this other radaku touching his mother. V'demhe was his person and yet she was being nice to another. With a snort he turned his head away as though he were offended but he couldn't help peeking back at them now and again.

Used in Blade growth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:39 pm
Seriousness
WC - 600

She moved slow so that her mother didn't feel the pressure to be fast. V'demhe just want to make sure her mother was away from the violence and the bad influences of the extremists. And she would get her wish. Even if she had to strike down a fellow sister to make sure. From the looks of things, it seemed that that was just what was going to happen. More extremists had arrived and were heading in the direction where the others were gathered for their debate. Most of them went by her without a backward glance, but one slowed and eyed her a bit. “Where are you going? The celebration is that way.” The woman pointed in the direction Dem had just come from. When V'demhe paused, moving her mother behind her, the extremist narrowed her eyes. “Are you trying to leave the island, young one? Are you a traitor to your tribe?”

Dem cleared her throat and turned her head slightly to address her mother, but kept her eyes on the Alkidike. “Mother, I need you to go home and not answer the door for anyone.” It was the only thing she could do right now. After all, if her mother stayed close then the extremist could use the elderly woman against her. V'demhe wasn't about to have her mother be a bargaining chip for someone. Her mother looked like she was going to protest and even took a breath so that she could but Dem shook her head. “Don't argue with me mother, please. I need you out of harms way.” How else could she explain to her mother the dire need to have her safe. Other than tossing the old Alkidike over her shoulder and rushing her home.

When she heard the steps of her mother move away from her at a slow pace she felt a small bit of relief that her mother was going to listen. Small blessing, but she'd take it. Then finally she noticed that the steps grew quicker. The extremist smirked at her before she taunted her. “Don't want your mother to see you beaten like an earthling?” The words made V'demhe frown, she even seemed to lower her antennae a bit. “No, I don't want her to see her daughter become violent. I am still her little bloom and would hate to mess up that way of thinking.” As she spoke Dem moved her hands toward her sides and gripped the handles of her blades. “Sister, I ask that you cease this and seek Aisha's forgivness.” She didn't want to fight against her own. Not over something so trivial as a difference of opinion. It was meaningless to her and caused a great heartache within her chest. “Please Sister, we are all daughters of Aisha.” She tried to reason with her once more but was getting no where.

“Shut up traitor.” The woman called out. It was a statement that had V'demhe sighing and shaking her head. Why was it that if she had a different view point than others she was a traitor? Was she not allowed to have an opinion or a thought that differed from others? Was she even allowed to think for herself or was the Alkidike tribe supposed to have a hive mind? "Is name calling truly necessary?" V'demhe asked.

Before she could get an answer to her question the sister she shared with the great mother was upon her. The fight had begun and it didn't look like it was going to be a very fair one. The fangs and claws were out.

Used in Blade growth

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:43 am
Item Crafting
Clothing, Cape

Needlework on a mini scale - Success

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:16 pm
Item Crafting
Weapon, Whip

Wasting time - Success

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:16 pm
Realizing All The Things
WC - 1526

She hadn't expected Aisha to bless her and Virain so soon. In truth V'demhe had thought that perhaps she would have to wait a while longer yet before she was gifted with a daughter of her own since the conflict that had torn the sisters apart had somewhat to do with hybrids. However, the Great Mother had seen fit to bless her coupling with Virain, not with just one lotus, but two! Something that made her more than happy. The young Alkidike was excited beyond words. The only thing that truly put a hamper on her mood was that her mate couldn't stay on the island with her to watch over the pods.

So there she sat, cross legged in the grass watching the colorful flower buds. V'demhe knew they wouldn't do anything or that they wouldn't go anywhere, but she worried. What if someone knew they were a hybrid and tried to harm them? She couldn't let that happen. Not to say that the mystics would let that happen either, but still. It was her first time dealing with such a thing.

"You are going to stare a hole in the flowers." Her mother's voice came from behind her and made her jump. How had she not noticed the woman's approach? Clearly Dem was too focused on being vigilant with only her eyes.

"Sorry mother, I am just so worried for them." Her eyes softened as she stared at the pods that held her daughters. They were different in color than those around them but to her they were the most beautiful lotuses to be seen.

V'denri put her hand on her daughter's shoulder and offered up a chuckle. "Yes, every expecting mother feels that way." It had been how she felt as she waited for Dem to bloom. "But you need to rest as well." There was a soft pat from her before she shifted and sat next to her child.

The young blade was able to pull her eyes away from her gifts long enough to watch her earthly mother sit down beside her. "I'm afraid. With the world the way it is.. and hate still lingering within the sisters.. what if my daughters are hurt?" Or worse!? All of a sudden she wasn't so sure she could handle this! Fear burned through her.

"Hah! Oh my little flower, you now know what it feels like." There was a small shake of V'denri's head as she looked on at the colorful flowers that held her grandchildren. "The fear I felt when you went off on your own to Jauhar. The worries that plague me even now about your safety. It is a horrifying experience but a wonderful feeling to know you feel such a deep love." The elder woman reaches over and pushed one of the dreads from her daughters eyes. "When Aisha gave you to me.. to watch over and raise as my own.. I felt such joy but there was pain in there as well." Giving V'demhe a loving look she smiled.

"It is part of being a mother." Her old withered antennae gave a sway as she let her gaze go toward her grandchildren. "You will know the ups and downs of motherhood. It will be the best thing in your life, my little flower."

Tears prickled at her eyes and she looked away from her mother and her flowers. Dem didn't want them to see her like that. "Are you sure Aisha knows what she'd doing? Giving me two of her children?" Well, giving her and Virain two children. When she was sure she had her tears under control she looked back toward the lotuses. What she saw were two beautiful spots of color in a sea of monotony. Her two spots of color. Hers and Virain's. Dem moved and got to her feet so that she could close the small distance to them then sank to her knees. "You two are such a precious gift.. You have no idea." Her hands hesitated before she finally reached out enough to touch the delicate petals. "You two stay in there for as long as possible. You'll be safer in there."

V'denri laughed at her daughters words and shook her head. "It doesn't work that way V'demhe."

"Yes it does Mother.. It will. I will make it work that way." Dem insisted even though she was looking over her shoulder at her elderly mother. Before she could say anything more she took notice of another Alkidike on the approach. That was enough to cause V'demhe to get back to her feet and watch them as they got closer.

"What's this? You begged Aisha for half breed mutts?" The woman crossed her arms over her chest and shook her head as she sneered at V'demhe.

V'denri felt her antennae twitch as she watched her daughter react. All at once Dem went from simply standing there to having her hand on one of her blades and growling. "My mate and I asked Aisha for her blessing and she saw fit to give us two daughters." V'demhe made sure to place herself squarely in front of the two lotuses that held the babies she and Virain had sought.

"You are a disappointment. With everything that has happened you would still ask the Great Mother for something that is less that perfect? When they have bloomed take them and leave the Isles. Don't come back." The woman turned on her heel and left the mother and daughter to stare after her. Dem relaxed a little and removed her hand from her weapon.

"V'demhe.. reacting in such a way only lets them know you are bothered by it." There was some scolding in her mother's voice as she brought up what just happened.

"But I am bothered, Mother. I am bothered that they view any daughter or son that blooms from Aisha as less than perfect." The young blade shook her head then turned to look down at her beautiful waiting pods. Amazingly the fear she had felt before was gone. The other Alkidike had helped her to push it aside. All she felt now was pure love and affection for her daughters as well a a fierce need to make sure they were protected and happy. "Don't tell Virain about this.. I don't want him to worry." Her antennae twitched a bit as she came to the decision that she would train harder and become a great protector for her growing family.

Before she had wanted to become strong to protect family and friends, sure, but never had she felt such a pull as this. This was something deeper than that whimsical dream she'd had as a youngling. Then she had in mind protecting only her friend Teiluj since her mother didn't need it. Now, V'demhe wanted to keep her mate and her children safe from any and all threats. Even if it meant one of her own sisters. She had already proven that she would fight against extremists if the need for it arose. No, her family would be safe, even if she had to grow up to make sure of it.

Lifting her gaze to the ancient tree she smiled almost knowingly. "Is that why you blessed us?" She murmured to Aisha. V'demhe had always viewed her future as a game. She was a shield that was dispensable if need be. Now she saw it as serious and definitive. She would be the mountain that blocked the vicious winds. "You are devious, Great Mother, but I accept. I will protect your daughters, both the ones gifted to me and those that are not." And just like that a breeze passed by, an agreement between V'demhe and Aisha, witnessed by V'denri.

"And the elders said you were too childish." Came the soft retort from behind. Dem rolled her eyes at her mother but smirked as she stood near the buds.

When she turned to face her elderly parent she grinned. "Why don't you make a trip to the market and buy the girl's a trinket, Mother?" Something pretty for the girls to wear when they were finally revealed to the world. Dem had a new air about her as she stayed there. "Would you also bring me something to work on? I'd like to sit here with them to make sure they are safe." There was nothing that could convince her to leave them. Well, short of having her aunt and cousin there to guard them as she went to see Rainy, but she didn't see that happening so she would need something to occupy her time.

After her mother left to do as she asked V'demhe sat down next to her girls and started to sing to them. It was a soothing song about the Great Mother and she found it appropriate since the tell tale breeze was back and toying with her hair. And of course when the song ended she told the two stories about Aisha then of Virain. She wanted them to know all about their father when they arrived. Since he couldn't be there with them she wanted to make sure he was there in spirit at least. "You will love them both just as I do. I know it." Her voice was full of pride.

(( This is a small growth in V'demhe but a large milestone for her in life. She realizes that she has asked Aisha for a great responsibility that, at first, she is unsure if she is ready for. But after some soothing from her mother and a perceived threat from another Alk she realizes that this is what she had dreamed of doing when she was a child. Having a family to protect. ))

Used as growth from Blade to Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:41 pm
Surprise!
WC - 1068

Used in Warrior growth

She waited patiently on the shoreline for her mother. V'denri had decided that she would travel with her daughter and granddaughters and that had come as a shock to V'demhe. All this time she had been trying to get her mother to move to the mainland with her so that the two might enjoy a bit more freedom in life. Dem, of course, couldn't actually live on the Isles anymore unless she wanted to leave her daughters behind and that was something she just wasn't willing to do. Masika and Galene, plus their father Virain, meant far to much for her to simply walk away from.

A smile pulled at her lips as she thought about her little family. It had gotten bigger in recent months thanks to the courage she and her mate had had in asking Aisha for a daughter. Neither had expected twins but it had been the best gift of all.

When she finally saw the boat that would bring her mother and her mother's things across the waters she grinned widely and slowly walked into the water. With a hand outstretched she grabbed hold of the side of the boat and started to pull it toward the shore so that everyone on board could disembark at their own pace. "I was starting to think you had changed your mind again, Mother." She said softly.

Now she reached a hand out to help the elderly woman out but rather than a hand she was given a youngling. "Hold onto your sister, V'demhe. I can manage on my own." And just like that the smile she wore turned into a look of surprise and immense confusion. What had her mother just said? Sister?

No, surely she was reading too much into it. After all, every Alkidike was a sister. Yes, that had to be it. So she turned and looked at the other women as they got out and held the youngling toward them waiting for one of them to collect her. When none of them did she blinked and turned her head to look at her mother. "Where is her mother?" V'demhe still didn't think it was possible that her mother could be the very one she was waiting on.

"That would be me, little flower." And just like that V'denri took the youngling from her and cradled her lovingly against her bosom. "When you and Virain asked for a daughter I knew you were grown up and I had no little one to care for any longer. It broke my heart." Her eyes lifted so that she could watch her older daughter's reaction to what she was saying.

Dem opened her mouth to say something but nothing came out. She was speechless. After all, what could she really say? Her mother, her elderly mother at that, had sought out Aisha and asked for another child. On her own! It worried her a little but at the same time... She had a baby sister!!! "Mother! That's.. I don't know what to say!" She was happy that their mother tree had seen fit to keep her mother happy but at the same time she wondered if her mother was too old to properly keep up with a little one.

"She can't stay in Chibale, V'demhe. She's different." Worry crossed V'denri's face as she spoke and it made Dem furrow her brow. "Different?" Well it wasn't like her mother had suddenly found an earthling to mate with like she did so she wondered what it was that set her little sibling apart from the rest.

As she moved closer to look her mother pulled back the blanket that she was wrapped it and Dem gave a loud gasp. V'denri quickly covered her back up, afraid that her daughter's reaction was a bad one. "It's not that bad!"

"What? No. Mother.. give her here." As V'demhe saw her mother's hesitation she gave the older woman a look. "Really mother, have you seen my daughters?" Once the woman relaxed Dem smiled and reached out to collect the little one from her mother's arms. She was careful to pull the blanket back slowly in case she startle the child. However, once she was fully revealed she noticed that the markings on the little one somewhat resembled the markings she had. "Oh. She's lovely."

"Yes, she is." Pride seemed to pour into her mother's tone and V'demhe felt it too. An overwhelming feeling of love also hit her. "She will need a big sister to help her through life because she is different, little flower."

There was silence for a long time as V'demhe went over all the things she could teach her baby sister. It wouldn't quite be the same as her own daughters, but it would still be enjoyable either way. Then a thought struck her. "She is welcome to live and grow with us. The girls will love her." She could just imagine how her two little ones would react to having someone else to play with. Another youngling to get into things with. "Oh, what is her name? I forgot to ask what my little sister's name was." Dem felt guilty at that.

Keket. After the darkness." V'denri replied.

It was fitting since the youngling in her arms was dark in color. Everything about her was dark. Dem smiled and scrunched up her nose as she gave an eskimo kiss to Keket. "My beautiful little sister. Ket." Already she'd bestowed a nickname on the girl. Now all she had to do was introduce her to Virain and the girls. Her family certainly was growing.

"Could you carry her, dear? Its going to be a long walk and you know how my hips get." Her mother asked her. V'demhe didn't mind and so she nodded her head in answer before she whistled to her familiars and waved one hand to signal that they were leaving.

"Come on. Virain and the girls are waiting for us." She slung a bag of things over Maha's back and then started walking at a slow pace so that her mother could keep up. All the while she was busy playing with her baby sister who had woken up and was curious about the beads in her hair. It reminded her so much of her own daughters. Dem gave a contented sigh and grinned. She was going to enjoy life even more now.  

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:36 am
Item Crafting
Weapon, Bow

Trading - Success

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:08 pm
Siblings
WC - 1019

A bellow of a laugh came from her mother as V'demhe ended up chasing her baby sister down the shore line with a dress in hand. “Keket! Get back here! You need to wear clothes!”

That was not something that Dem thought she would ever be yelling at her little sister. Her daughters, sure, but not Keket. And man the little thing could run! Her baby sister was younger than her own daughters by a month or so but she was quick on her feet. It made Dem wonder if it was because she was full Alkidike. “Keket! Put your clothes on!” She yelled out again.

“No!” Came the little reply. Short, sweet, and to the point. Clearly her little sister didn't want to wear the dress.

With an exasperated huff she stopped chasing the little Alk and put her hands on her hips. Ven her twin daughters were laughing at her now. V'demhe gave them a look then turned her glare on her sibling once more. “Ket! You can't just run around nakkid!”

“Yes huh!”

“No! Ket!” Dem didn't know what else to do though. The little monster wouldn't hold still and her elderly mother couldn't assist her in the chase. Her daughters would be no help, they'd make a game of it. Then an idea hit her! Turning to look around she spotted her lazy familiar lounging in the shade. “Maha! Fetch!” Her hand quickly pointed at her sister.

The blue radaku lifted his head and looked at what it was that his mother wanted him to get. However, when he saw that she was pointing toward Keket he simply gave a groan and flopped his head back down into the sand as though he were dying. The little brat even rolled onto his back to put his paws in the air. Dem stared at him for a moment with disbelief then rolled her pure black eyes at him. “Lazy boy.”

So that idea was a bust. V'demhe watched as her no clothes wearing sister kicked sand and ran past strangers. She got several stares and murmurs but no one seemed to be very upset with the whole thing. Still, she could feel her cheeks warming. Oh boy. “Tanou! You're my last hope girl.” Her attention went to the shadows that were hiding her second familiar. The pink beast emerged with a stretch of her limbs and a large yawn, indicating that she was getting up from her nap to do as she was told.

“Good girl!” Dem called right as the beast started off as a loping trot. She watched to see just how far her familiar would get with her sibling. Amazingly the radaku managed to corral the girl back to her older sister. V'demhe grinned like a mad man that had won some great prize and pounced on her sister so that she could dress the little thing. “Hah! It pays to have loyal familiars!” Dem declared to everyone.

V'denri, her mother, shook her head and gave Dem a sly smile. “So you think.” Then she nodded in the direction of Keket.

As Dem turned to look at her sister she saw only the dress as it flew into the air. Keket squealed in pure delight, thinking that this was a game with her older sibling, and splashed into the water. V'demhe groaned and leaned her head back to stare at the cloudless sky. “Why? Why won't she wear clothes?” Tossing her hands into the air she gave up on putting the dress on her sister for now and simply took up a seat in the sand next to her mother. “Was I this bad at keeping my clothes on?” She pondered aloud to her mother.

“No.” Came the reply. “You were worse.”

At first Dem was about to ask how her sister managed to be so unruly but was shut down when she was told that she had acted worse than what Keket was doing now. With a snort she looked out at her little sister. “I guess I should be thankful she's not me then.” V'demhe was also thankful that her daughters weren't as bad as she had been at their age. They would have driven her nuts by now. “How did you survive me, Mother?”

“Hahaha! What makes you think I did? You were such a handful V'demhe.”

That knowledge alone was enough to make her duck her head so that she could appear smaller. Dem took a deep breath and relaxed, watching as the little ball of energy known as her sibling made large splashes in the water. Galene and Masika likely would have joined her had they not been otherwise busy doing each other's hair. It seemed that Masika rather liked braiding and adding beads. It made Dem curious as to why she never put any in her own hair. The little girl was beautiful but she kept her appearance plain. Was she going to be like her father?

A smile lit her face as she thought about her little girl being just like Virain. Such a sweet man. Dem was grateful that she had him in her life. Truly she was like a lovesick pup when it came to him. Pulling her knees up to her chest she leaned forward to rest her chin on them. Since she'd lost the battle with her baby sister she might as well enjoy the sunset. If she was lucky then Virain would finish his training early and she could escape with him later to have a romantic walk. Or something more intimate. Either worked for her. She loved spending time with him, even if it was simply silence.

Her thoughts were interrupted when Keket flung water at her and drenched half of her hair. Giving her sister a look she shook her head. “So glad my daughters aren't as stubborn as you!” Dem was only teasing, of course, since she adored her family. It was growing and while she had been an only child for so long she was happy to have a sister now.

Used for Warrior Growth

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

Heras Box

Mythical Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:55 am
Remember..
WC - 2011

“Keket be careful.”
She called out to her rough and tumble sister as she wrestled around with Maha. V'demhe knew that her radaku would never hurt the little girl on purpose but accidents happened. It worried her that her her mother's second child was so feisty.

Heaving a sigh she shook her head and looked back down at the little boy who was sitting on her lap. Dem was brushing his hair per a request. Oddly the little blue, water child had another request. A history lesson of sorts. It appeared that the boy had over heard one of the local tribe speaking about last years battle. V'demhe didn't like the idea of telling children about what had happened but since they already knew that there had been a battle there was no hiding it.

“So what happened Miss?” Came the boy's little voice.

There was an echo not too far off as Keket repeated the question that her matorian friend had asked. Then came the question again, this time from behind her. It seemed that even some of the older kids from the village were curious about the whole thing. Dem let her shoulders sag slightly in defeat. She was out numbered.

“There was a disagreement among the Alkidikes that lead to a large fight.” She had hoped that would be enough to sate their curiosity but Keket wanted to know more. She even paused in her wrestling match to look at her mother expectantly. One of the older kids went into a series of “why” questions and the little boy on her lap turned his head to look up at her.

“But what was it about?” He batted his eyes prettily.

The warrior had to pause as she thought of how best to explain the situation. As she thought about it she pulled her bottom lip into her mouth and quickly started to chew on the metal ring that went through her skin. Her mind couldn't come up with anything that all of the kids would find believable so she settled on telling them all the truth. Not that she wanted to. It would make each of them feel out of place and unwanted by the majority of the Alks.

“Well.. Some of the Alkidikes believed that they were the superior race and that Tendaji should be for them only.” V'demhe continued brushing the boy's hair but her eyes were looking toward the shoreline. Those rolling waves that came crashing in giving comfort. “They didn't like how the world had become. These Alks frowned on the idea of hybrids, like my daughters. To them Aisha shouldn't have to make anything unpure.” As a distant look settled in her eyes she was placed back to those times not so long ago. At the time when the unrest started she had thought that it would pass, that nothing serious would become of it all. Boy was she wrong.

“Those that thought this way stood behind the matron and our young mystic, Aselia.” Mentioning the mystic's name was still painful for her. Dem felt that on some level it was her fault that she had gone to the side of prejudice.

“Who was she? Why did she hate us?” The words that came from Keket made Dem frown.

“Aselia is our youngest mystic. She was saved when she was still in her lotus. It was the powers of the Suruhama, located in Sauti, that helped her to survive.” V'demhe felt she should tell the children the story of the woman's survival before she answered anything else. Because despite everything Dem thought that Aselia was still good. “She doesn't hate you.” Not that she knew what the mystic was thinking or anything, but in her heart she had to believe that. “Aselia is just misled.”

“What do you mean Miss?” This time it was the small boy that asked the question.

Dem hushed him and wrapped her arms around him lovingly. “Aselia has always been viewed as different. Her markings are a beautiful color of red. Others fear her because she's a mystic and they don't want to upset Aisha by doing something wrong.” How it must have been growing up like that. V'demhe thought that if anyone would know what hybrids faced it would be Aselia. Finally she shook her head. “One day she left Chibale and went in search of the great bird that helped to bring her into the world. Because of this, those that had the extreme views hid behind her and tried to claim Sauti as theirs. An extension of Alkidike territory.” Dem knew there was more to it. There had to be. But she didn't know what it was and there was no hope of learning what it was if she couldn't find the young mystic.

“Why can't we expand our land?” This statement surprised Dem since it came from her baby sister.

“Because, little flower, Tendaji is meant for us all. Earthlings included. Remember, my mate is an earthling.” Which meant that her daughters were half earthling. Not that she found any fault in her sister asking the obvious question. “You must understand that Aisha is an understanding Mother. While she gives us Alkidikes and hybrids her strength and we worship her as she should be, she does not condemn the earthlings or their deities.” V'demhe wanted to make sure the children, and even her little sister understood this.

“So we fought because of this person?” Keket questioned her.

“Mm, not quite. It was the divide in views that made us fight.” Feeling sad that she had to tell this to innocent younglings, Dem could only look at the ground. What would their world be like in the future? How would they be treated?

“Did we win?” Some of the children asked in unison.

There was a slow nod of her head that answered the question. “We did. We also banished those Alkidikes with the extremist views. They are exiled on Yael. Away from their Great Mother, never allowed to return.” What pain her sisters must be in to not be able to be near Aisha. Dem wasn't sure what she would do if she were not allowed to return to the bosom of her Mother tree.

“Did you kill any of them?” Her sibling bounced as she asked this personal question.

“What!?” V'demhe was startled by this. Why would such a small one want to know if she had killed? Closing her eyes she shook her head. “No, Keket. I didn't kill any of our sisters. I defeated them in battle, but I would never kill them.” When she opened her eyes again she was giving her sister a hard look. One that told her to never ask that of her again, or of any Alkidike. It wasn't like they walked around bragging about whether or not they killed another of their own tribe.

“So that was it?” One of the older children almost seemed disappointed by the story.

“Yes, that was it. Truthfully it was a misunderstanding and a break in Alkidike society that caused a scar to run through Tendaji. It's not something to be proud of.” Not once had she ever felt like strutting around because of that battle. V'demhe wasn't sure if she knew anyone that was.

Finishing up she put the brush down beside her and pinned the boy's hair back and away from his face. Giving him a smile she nodded her head to say she was done. Released from his place the boy got up and joined his friends so that all of them could play. Many of the children having forgotten about the subject that had just been discussed. Keket, though, pulled on her sister's skirt to get her attention.

“Demmy? Will Aselia come back to hurt us?” Those words, so full of innocence and emotion, fear and curiosity, made V'demhe go wide eyed. That her sibling was worried about something like that made her chest ache.

“Oh! Ket! No, honey. I won't let Aselia hurt anyone.” Instantly her arms went around the little Alk to pull her into a hug. “I won't let anyone hurt you. You, Galene, and Masika, even the other children, are all safe so long as Virain and I live.” Dem wanted to promise more than that but she was unsure what the future held after she wasn't there to protect them anymore. It was what made her want to find the young mystic on Yael so bad. A trip she would need to make soon now.

“Now, no more worries. Go and play with your friends.” She placed a tender kiss to the top of her sister's head and let her go. From where she sat she watched the lot of them romp around and play together. It was a sight that could melt anyone's heart.

“That was a nice tale, little flower.” The elderly voice of her mother came from behind her.

V'demhe nodded her head slowly. “It was.” She agreed with V'denri. The tale had been a nice one. She had left out the more violent parts. On purpose too. “That is the only tale they need to know. The extremists are gone and they are safe.” She kept her eyes on the playing children. All the fears she had had when she first learned she would indeed become a mother came rushing back. Dem worried over the well being of her darling girls and those that matched their age. “I can't let them be afraid of the world, mother.”

After uttering those words she lifted her head so that she could glance toward V'denri. The elderly woman was also watching the children as they played. “I understand, Dem.” And she did. She had had the same worries when she had asked Aisha for V'demhe. “I truly do, but you can't be everywhere.”

A sad truth. One that had Dem closing her eyes and letting out a slow breath. “I will be there when they need me. I will protect them from the hate that others spew.” Wanting to change the mood in the air she patted her blades and gave her mother a grin. “That's what these are for after all.”

Her mother gave a hearty laugh at the mention and shook her head. “And here I though you wanted those just to look scary.” Even with her eyes failing her in her old age she had seen how V'demhe smirked. “Don't think I don't remember you sneaking into my room to play with them when you were little.”

“Oh!” She gave a wave of her hand and tried to shoo her mother away. “You will keep that secret to yourself.” Dem looked toward the younglings again and sighed. “I guess I will have to hide mine better than you did, so my girls don't get them.” Eventually her girls would want to pick a path to follow. As a mother she was excited to see what they would choose. As an Alk she wanted them both to be fierce warriors.

“Good luck with that one, little flower.”
V'denri snorted.

“Oh, don't underestimate me, mother.”
A grin was flashed to the older woman. V'demhe would make sure her daughters stayed little for as long as possible. Even if she had to hide them in a cave!

A hand came down to pat V'demhe on the shoulder. “If you say so.” The affection in that action was enough to make Dem relax. “I am going to lay down for a bit. Don't let your sister get into trouble.” As Dem nodded her head she watched her elderly mother make her way back into the small hut they all shared. It worried her that her mother seemed to be having a hard time getting around lately. Still, Dem thought that it might be the weather. She just wasn't used to it yet. She hoped. If it turned out to be more than that then V'demhe wasn't sure how she was going to handle that. Not only would it be an emotional time for her but she'd have Keket to think about. Dem sent a plea to Aisha that her mother remain strong

Used for Warrior Growth

◈ Journals

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces