Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Improvements in Role-playing that are Needed

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Shade of Casin

Gracious Conversationalist

9,775 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:35 pm
This thread is so that everyone can read what the community thinks need to be improved. I am not trying to call anyone or anything out, and is mostly just what I think. So it is not perfect, but maybe if we all read them we can try to make this guild better for both DM's and Players

What are the biggest thing you as a DM think is a pain from a player, or a weakness that players need to work on.

The three worst for me are simple I think, just wanted to know so that we can have a better player base.

#1. Know thyself. This is really a bigger problem than simply making a character. Players need to know their characters. You should not just live for the now, but have a deep understanding of your characters goals and dreams. Sure, while it is not likely that a dwarf will become his own hold king, it’s a good goal because it would affect how you act now.

#2. Meta gaming. What you know as a player and what your characters know as a character ad often two different things. While some may be gifts from the DM, meta gaming can lead to bad role play decisions as well as feeling getting hurt that have no reason to be hurt.

#3. Players giving up. The world is a challenging place at times, but just forgiving up and disappearing to me is the saddest ending to a campaign. At least with death you have resolution.

Now, the flip side, what do you hate that a DM does that can really break your spirit? This is harder for me to really list. I suppose it is due to the fact that most DM's I have dealt with have honestly all been good or entertaining. However I can think of three things that I would love to have more DM's do.

#1 Failure. I am not eyes if it is true with all DM's, but it seems that a couple I have played with are not willing to allow failure. Now I do not mean fudging a one hit kill roll or even some just crazy save, but a decent number of DM's don't want failure. In part it is to save feelings, but failure of some does build the rest.

#2. Tight Gripped. This is in part a failure of my own. I seem to have the knack to derail campaigns. Derailment is fine as long as you are willing to let PC's fail.

#3. Playing Houdini. I understand that most campaigns will never truly be completed. There are far too many factors in life to allow such a luxury. However nothing kills me more than a role play just hanging in the wind with no leadership and no reason why. Maybe do up a post-game, or say that you cannot and may pick up later. But pulling a Houdini after a player puts the time to design an entire life often just drains the sails and can even cause people to be turns off role play due to the drop.

So what are your guy's three big weaknesses of gaming you would like to see the role play community strive to repair? Please feel free to comment and make your own  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:38 pm
On hold for lost purposes.  

The Shade of Casin

Gracious Conversationalist

9,775 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash