Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Homebrew 'Shaman' class Take a look please! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Archfiend Damio

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:20 pm
Alright I have a few things I would like to say before I post the class.

1. Please let me know what you think. I want constructive criticism, but I don't really want to add things the class is already balanced as I see it and I don't really think it needs more I am just wanting to know if others would agree and if not how they think it would be better balanced.

2. Normally I use 'Photobucket' for images but lately its been having a brain fart as such i am using tiny pic sorry if this is not what you are used to.

3. Lastly this has not been play tested. And may have a few wording, typos, or game play kinks to work out. If you see any obvious ones I may have over looked please be sure to point those out too. I believe I have provided the all the necessary additions that are not in core books as well as ways to find Templates use if not the template it self.

4. One last thing don't quote the images please the thread is already kind of stretched and I don't want an overload of quoted images.

Thank you and Enjoy.  
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:23 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Skills: The shaman’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), and Survival (Wis).
See Chapter 4 of the Player’s Handbook for skill descriptions.
Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) × 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: shaman s are proficient with the following weapons: club, dagger, dart, quarterstaff, scimitar, sickle, shortspear, sling, and spear. They are also proficient with all natural attacks (claw, bite, and so forth) of any form they assume with Wereform(see below). Shamans are proficient with light and medium armor but are prohibited from wearing metal armor; thus, they may wear only padded, leather, or hide armor. (A shaman may also wear wooden armor that has been altered by the ironwood spell so that it functions as though it were steel. See the ironwood spell description, page 246) A shaman who wears prohibited armor is unable to cast shaman spells or use any of her supernatural or spelllike class abilities while doing so and for 24 hours thereafter.

Spells: A shaman casts divine spells (the same type of spells available to Druids), which are drawn from the Druid spell list. She can cast any spell she knows without preparing it ahead of time the way a Druid must. To cast a spell, a shaman must have a Charisma score of 10 + the spell’s level (Cha 10 for 0-level spells, Cha 11 for 1st-level spells, and so forth). The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against shaman’s spell is 10 + the spell’s level + the shaman’s Wisdom modifier. Like other spellcasters, a shaman can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Her base daily spell allotment is given on Table 1–1: The shaman. In addition, she receives bonus spells for a high Wisdom. Unlike a Druid, a shaman’s selection of spells is limited. A shaman begins play knowing four 0-level spells and three 1st-level spells of your choice. At each new shaman level, she gains one or more new spells, as indicated on Table 1–2: Shaman Spells Known. (Unlike spells per day, her Charisma score does not affect the number of spells a shaman knows; the numbers on Table 1–2 are fixed.) Upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered shaman level after that (6th, 8th, and so on), a shaman can choose to learn a new spell in place of one she already knows. In effect, the shaman “loses” the old spell in exchange for the new one. The new spell’s level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged, and it must be at least two levels lower than the highest-level shaman spell the favored soul can cast. A shaman may swap only a single spell at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that she gains new spells known for the level. Unlike a Druid, a shaman need not prepare her spells in advance. She can cast any spell she knows at any time, assuming she has not yet used up her spells per day for that spell level.

Nature Sense (Ex): A shaman gains a +2 bonus on Knowledge (nature) and Survival checks.

Wild Empathy (Ex): A shaman can use body language, vocalizations, and demeanor to improve the attitude of an animal (such as a bear or a monitor lizard). This ability functions just like a Diplomacy check made to improve the attitude of a person (see Chapter 4: Skills). The shaman rolls 1d20 and adds her shaman level and her Charisma modifier to determine the wild empathy check result. The typical domestic animal has a starting attitude of indifferent, while wild animals are usually unfriendly. To use wild empathy, the shaman and the animal must be able to study each other, which means that they must be within 30 feet of one another under normal conditions. Generally, influencing an animal in this way takes 1 minute but, as with influencing people, it might take more or less time. A shaman can also use this ability to influence a magical beast with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2 (such as a basilisk or a girallon), but she takes a –4 penalty on the check.

Animal Companion (Ex): At 2nd level, a shaman gains an animal companion selected from the following list: badger, camel, dire rat, dog, riding dog, eagle, hawk, horse (light or heavy), owl, pony, snake (Small or Medium viper), or wolf. If the DM’s campaign takes place wholly or partly in an aquatic environment, the DM may add the following creatures to the shaman’s list of options: crocodile, porpoise, Medium shark, and squid. This animal is a loyal companion that accompanies the shaman on his adventures as appropriate for its kind. (For instance, an aquatic creature can’t adventure with a shaman on land and shouldn’t be selected by a nonaquatic character without extenuating circumstances). In most cases, the animal companion functions as a mount, sentry, scout, or hunting animal, rather than as a protector. This ability functions like the druid ability of the same name (see page 35), except that the shaman’s effective druid level is one-half her shaman level. For example, the animal companion of a 2nd-level shaman would be the equivalent of a 1st-level druid’s animal companion. A shaman may select from the alternative lists of animal companions just as a druid can, though again his effective druid level is half his shaman level. Thus, he must be at least an 8th-level shaman to select from the druid’s list of 4th-level animal companions, and if he chooses one of those animals, his effective druid level would be reduced by 3, to 1st level. Like a druid, a shaman cannot select an alternative animal if the choice would reduce his effective druid level below 1st.

Rebuke Plant Creatures (Su): Any shaman, regardless of alignment, has the power to affect plant creatures by channeling the power of nature to Rebuke or command Plant creatures. (see Turn or Rebuke Undead, page 159). A shaman may attempt to Rebuke Plant Creatures as a evil cleric of their level number of times per day equal to 3 + his Charisma modifier. A shaman with 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (Nature) gets a +2 bonus on Rebuking checks against plant creatures.
Good and some neutral shamans view this control as a union with nature, as a creature of nature themselves they believe calling or ‘asking’ help from its other creatures. Evil and some neutral shamans view this as proof of the power they have over nature and how easily in can be controlled by their divine link. If the shaman later gains or already has the Plant domain or similar ability he gains one extra use of this ability per day.

Summon Topiary Ally (Su): A shaman of 4th level or higher may add the Modified Topiary Guardian template (see below) to Summon Natures Ally spells he class. Starting from Summon Natures Ally II add to the list a Topiary version of each creature of the previous Summon Natures Ally to the list of available creatures the shaman can summon. For example, a shaman of 4th casting Summon Natures Ally II can choose to summon a Topiary version of any animal on the Summon Natures Ally I list. Just as a shaman of 6th level can use Summon Natures Ally III to summon a Topiary version of any animal on the Summon Natures Ally II list. The apply the template legally with the fallowing exceptions. The summoned creature’s Hit Dice does not change nor does the summoned creature’s Ability Scores change.

Wereform (Su): At 5th level, a Shaman gains the ability to turn herself into ‘Werewolf’ and back again once per day. Her options for new forms include all creatures with the animal type (see the Monster Manual). This ability functions like the alternate form special ability (see the Monster Manual), except as noted here. The effect lasts for 1 hour per Shaman level, or until she changes back. A shaman does not gain the ability scores of the Werecreature but instead gets ability boosts depending on the Werefrom. Changing form (to ‘Werewolf’ or back) is a standard action and doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity. Each time you use Werefrom, you regain lost hit points as if you had rested for a night. The shamans alignment does not change to match the forms actual alignment. The Shaman can only assume the form of a Werecreature in Hybrid form. This in no way gives the player the shapechanger subtype as per alternate form.

Any gear, besides weapons the Shaman chooses, worn or carried by the Shaman melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional. When the Shaman reverts to her true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on her body that they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items worn in the assumed form fall off and land at the Shaman's feet. If the item has the ‘Wild’ magic trait the armor functions as if the shaman was druid in wild shape.

The at 5th level the shaman takes the shape of a Werewolf in Hybrid form. The Shamans size does not change and The Shaman gains +2 Str., +4 Dex., +4 Con., +4 Natural Armor while in this form. The Shaman gains 2 claws at 1d4 (1d3 for small and 1d6 for large) and a bite attack at 1d6 (1d4 for small and 1d8 for large) the Shaman may use a full round action to make 2 claws and a bite attack as a secondary attack in a round but the bite is at a -5 penalty to hit and applies only ½ Str. The Shaman’s base land speed of the increases to 30ft or uses the Shamans base land speed whichever is higher. Other modes of travel are not functional in this form. While in the Werewolf form the shaman may also utilize the Scent ability (see the Monster Manual).

At 8th level the shaman gains the ability to assume a Wereboar in Hybrid form. This form works exactly like Werewolf form except that the Shaman instead gains +4 Str,, +6 Con., +6 Natural Armor and a gore attack at 1d6 (1d4 small and 1d8 large) instead of a bite attack. While in Wereboar form The Shaman also gains the use of the Die Hard feat even if she doesn’t meat the prerequisites, a Wereboar does not gain the Scent ability.

At 11th level the shaman gains Damage Reduction 5/Silver while in Wereform.

At 12th level the shaman gains the ability to take the form of a Weretiger in Hybrid form. This functions exactly like Werewolf form except as noted here. The Shaman instead gains +12 Str, +4 Dex, +6 Con, snd +5 Natural Armor. The Shaman also Increases one size category to a maximum of large while in this form (Do not recalculate Ability Scores or damage of natural attacks for size increase). The Weretiger claw and bite attacks increase to 1d6 (1d4 for Medium) and 1d8 (1d6 for Medium) respectively. The Weretiger does not gain the Scent ability but instead gains the Pounce ability (see the Monster Manual).

At 17th level the Shaman gains the ability to change into its final Wereform, a Werebear in Hybrid form. This functions exactly like Werewolf except noted here. The Shaman gains +16 Str, +2 Dex, +8 Con, +7 Natural Armor while in this form. The Shaman also Increases one size category to a maximum of large while in this form (Do not recalculate Ability Scores or damage of natural attacks for size increase). The Werebear claw and bite attacks increase to 1d6 (1d4 for Medium) and 1d8 (1d6 for Medium) respectively. The Werebear does not gain the Scent ability but instead gains the Power Attack feat while in this form.

A shaman can chose any Wereform available to them and can switch to a new form without reverting to her original form but each change costs 1 use of her daily allotment and starts the duration over. For example, a 8th level Human shaman can transform into a Werewolf Hybrid form and remain in that form for 8 hours but as a standard action the shaman can change into a Wereboar by using another Wereform daily use (Totaling 2 uses today) and can remain in the new form for 8 hours. Changing back into a human ends the Wereform ability immediately as normal. This allows the shaman to choose to change forms without having to revert to human form.

Woodling Transformation: Upon reaching 20th level a shaman performs a spiritual ritual infusing herself with the nature it self. The shaman adds the Woodling Template (See Monster Manual III page 197) to her race. This is the shamans most scared right. The template must be legal in all but inheritance to apply and must be adhered to correctly. This transformation has no affect on the creatures shaman levels and effects the base race only. A Woodling Shaman that attains this level does not gain any benefit from this class feature, likewise a shaman that the template can’t be applied legally (Such as a vampire) also gains no benefit. This is a permanent transformation that can’t be dispelled or reversed. The Wereforms of a Woodling Shaman also resemble plant forms of themselves.

MODIFIED TOPIARY GUARDIAN TEMPLATE

Creating a topiary guardian that mimics a different animal (of Medium, Large, or Huge size) is possible. Start with the base creature’s normal statistics and make the following changes.
Size and Type: The creature’s type changes to plant. Recalculate base attack bonus, saves, and skill points based on the topiary guardian’s Hit Dice. Size is unchanged.
Hit Dice: Topiary guardian’s Hite Dice do not change.
Speed: Land speed same as base creature. A topiary guardian does not gain any burrow, climb, fl y, or swim speed of the creature on which it is based.
Special Attacks: A topiary guardian gains the following special attack.
Merciful (Ex): A topiary guardian can deal nonlethal damage with any of its attacks without taking the standard –4 penalty on attack rolls. The creature chooses whether to deal lethal or nonlethal damage depending on the orders it is given by its creator. Orders to capture or subdue enemies cause the topiary guardian to use nonlethal attacks; any other attack order causes the creature to deal lethal damage.
Special Qualities: A topiary guardian gains the following special qualities.
Damage Reduction (Ex): A topiary guardian has damage reduction 10/slashing.
Freeze (Ex): A topiary guardian can hold itself so still that it appears to be a normal sculpted shrub. An observer must succeed on a DC 30 Spot check to notice that a topiary guardian is actually an animated creature.
Tremorsense (Ex): A topiary guardian has tremorsense out to 90 feet.
Vulnerability to Fire: Topiary guardians are vulnerable to fire.
Abilities: A Topiary guardian’s ability scores do not change.
Skills: A topiary guardian has a +8 racial bonus on Move
Silently checks.  

Archfiend Damio

Slave Xaccheus

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:43 pm
There's already a Shaman class. It's detailed in Oriental Adventures.  
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:16 pm
Setting aside the 3rd party (sense that what Dragon Magazine is.) Dragon Magazine #318 that updates it. OA is a 3.0 book. Sense this is 3.5 class I made that has nothing to do with this.

Guess what there was a Samurai before Complete warrior, and a Ninja before OA sense both books that had them were published the same year it was only months before they were both out, and there were two Ninja types before the Complete Adventurer. So setting aside the fact that the name of the class lacks originality. You statement is moot. Just because it has the same name means nothing. So we will move on.

By the way I am sure there is not a thing in D&D that I am not familiar with. Other then Psionics sense I haven't taken the time to really look them over and could rather careless that I haven't.

Is there any more gems you want to lay on us?  

Archfiend Damio

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:25 pm
The Jester of Equilibrium
Setting aside the 3rd party (sense that what Dragon Magazine is.) Dragon Magazine #318 that updates it. OA is a 3.0 book. Sense this is 3.5 class I made that has nothing to do with this.

Guess what there was a Samurai before Complete warrior, and a Ninja before OA sense both books that had them were published the same year it was only months before they were both out, and there were two Ninja types before the Complete Adventurer. So setting aside the fact that the name of the class lacks originality. You statement is moot. Just because it has the same name means nothing. So we will move on.

By the way I am sure there is not a thing in D&D that I am not familiar with. Other then Psionics sense I haven't taken the time to really look them over and could rather careless that I haven't.

Is there any more gems you want to lay on us?

You're a bit full of yourself aren't you?  
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:21 am
Full of myself... No I may not know everything but I know enough. And I may be rude at times but at least most of the time I try to be nice and even go out of my way to apologize in advance about something. Sometimes I can seem like I 'know it all' but I can assure you I merely have been doing this a while and with time comes experience.

I asked for constructive criticism and opinions on the class I created. Not a half-assed D&D lesson about something most people should know. Giving one line of a completely irrelevant fact is hardly what I would call constructive criticism. He could have said he hated the idea or even the name of the class and I would have gladly valued the opinion but entering a thread and stating a nominal, and minor fact that there are things in this game that happen to have the same name is really beyond my reach of respect.

And I would believe that admitting to the fact that there is typos and game play kinks would suggest I am not sure of myself when it comes to some regards.  

Archfiend Damio

Archfiend Damio

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:25 am
Man-o-Man, I have seen countless people put up homebrew stuff... I have seen people post about absolutely nothing relevant to anything in this thread. And I have even given input that may would hold as valued. All the questions I help with.

And the one time I post something all I can get in response is this garbage? This is ridiculous.  
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:39 am
There is already also a Spirit Shaman class which is 3.5 but you know that since you know everything about D&D. You probably also know how similar this class is to the druid as well. Scarily close, as it only has a few mechanical options swapped out. You have the same spell list, the same armor restrictions, animal companion, transformation at level 5. You're probably also familiar that when the Spirit Shaman did this it added a lot more flavor to the class to distinguish itself from the druid.

I hope this criticism conducts you to make some further changes. You might also have wanted constructive criticism.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Archfiend Damio

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:48 pm
The spell list is actually not the same as the druid or the shaman and the weapon pros are the same as well as the armor pros and restrictions. These armor and weapon pros are the same because I think of them as fitting for the class if you look other classes have similar armor and weapon bro. With very little difference as well. I did get rid of the shield pro sense I thought it was a waste.
There are parallels between it and the druid sense I used it as a skeleton to help make it balanced.
The spirit shaman is an alright class but I actually didn't enjoy it at all. And I actually left the transformation effect at 5 because I felt that giving it any earlier would have been over powered and giving it any later would have been a waste.
If you also wanted to make more similarities there is also a class in PrC Ebberon for shifters that allows you to change into a Werecreature.
The animal companion actually comes a level later then the druid and if you read up in the text you will find that its not a powerful as the Druids'. I'll also make noted that the transformation is different while runs similar to wild shape. But then again there are a lot of things in D&D that run the same as others just look at spells.
Speaking of spells, lets go back, if you really want to point out the fact that the spell is is not like the Druids' or the Spirit Shamans' sense the Spirit Shaman is the only spontaneous caster to gains spells at a rate of a prepared caster. But their spells per day and their spells know are much less then other spontaneous casters.
I made my list to the appropriate spontaneous casting restrictions because I felt that it would be too over powering to not.
You will also over look I am sure the other non-similar class abilities but I guess that really doesn't matter now does it.
You can also make not that there are spells themselves that allow you to turn into Wereanimals but not to this extent.

And your right I did mean constructive criticism sorry about being dyslexic and having spell check try and help me out. Because no one has ever made a typo.
And for the record I never said I knew everything about D&D, I just stated that I knew a lot.  
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:08 pm
You don't need to tell us for the record, we can quote you.
Quote:
By the way I am sure there is not a thing in D&D that I am not familiar with.
And that's not saying that you know everything at all.

It should be noted that the Weretouched Master doesn't use a new mechanic to turn you into a werecreature, it modifies the Shifter's racial ability.

Moving class abilities from one level to another is a negligible difference. And while yes, you have swapped in some minor abilities to replace some of the druid's minor abilities, it only serves to strip a lot of the fun from a class that still reminds me too much of the druid. There's a perfectly good druid class that does all that better. The favored soul has stronger differences from the cleric. The ranger likewise shares a number of class abilities with the druid, but it's clearly its own thing. The shapeshifter alternate class ability from PHB2 is more different form the druid than this class is, and the shapeshifter is still a druid.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Archfiend Damio

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:30 pm
I had contemplated just making it a variant for druid itself. But I more prefer to use spontaneous casters more so I decided to make a class for it.

And yes Weretouched Master does uses new mechanics, added to an already existing racial ability. Sense to modify something you have to change the how it is used or works in the game.

And If you continued the quote I went on to say that I didn't know about Pisonics and sense that's part of D&D I guess I said I knew most, not all right.

The word that I was missing when I typed that was 'by the way I am sure there is almost nothing in D&D that I am not familiar with.' Sesne I went on after that with the rest of my statement disproving myself. Again sorry for the typo.

And lastly just because you are familiar with something doesn't mean you know everything about it. From what I see you are assuming and placing words in my mouth.

I will also point out that at no point did I say this is a completely original and never before seen thing as well as I never said that I didn't use the Druid progression to help. As well I will make not that when it came up I completely admitted my use of tools like Druid and other classes.  
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:00 pm
I kind of like the flavor of the class. I would have liked to have the ability to go into animal forms when in the Wereform, but I can understand why you didn't go with it.

I can't think of anything that could be added or is wrong with the class so I thought I would point out something.

Spells
Quote:
The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against shaman’s spell is 10 + the spell’s level + the favored soul’s Wisdom modifi er.

And you didn't place where to find or what Divine Health does.

And also I would like to state I would like to play the class.  

glitterboypilot

Yurro

Friendly Guildsman

7,600 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:01 pm
I'm getting that your trying to make an altered Druid/Shaman class most likely for a class ability that you think should of been added/think would be cool to have. I personally like the flavor, and the idea behind it. But as inexperienced as I am when it comes to 'rating' a persons homebrewed work, I'll try my best not to sound like a n00b or a dumbass...

-Is there any particular Alignment requirements? It sounds like a class that reveres nature and thus a mostly Neutral alignment, or would there be a point since you'll be changing into 2 of the evil obtains, and 2 good obtains?

-Spells dependent on Cha: I'm not sure as to why you choose Cha as the stat that determines the strength and ability to use spells, considering that this class seems more of a worshiper of nature and so should be using Wis more. Then again I'm just saying that because of the fact this is taking alot of material from Druids, and I'd think transforming into a Were-creature would make the player's Cha 'physical looks' score lower.

-Were Creature Forms: I see that you have four forms, so I was wondering if you could expand on it for different animals. I know that in at least 3.0 they had other animals outside of a Wolf, Boar, Tiger, and Bear. I believe they had a Bat, Raven, Seal and a few others. Then there is 3.5, which has at least a Crocodile [Sandstorm I believe?]. Make the Form abilities little more useful in situations like games that are based in Aquatic worlds, or even Aerial worlds.

-Will Natural Spell [the feat that lets Druids cast spells in Wildshaped forms] continue to work with this class?

-If the person was naturally or inflicted with the lycanthropy disease while taking levels, how will this effect the player? I mean if somebody gets bit by a werebear, most players won't go as far as obtaining 17th level to get the limited use version.

That's all I could come up with, doubtful I was of any help but I tried...  
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:58 pm
3.0 had Bat, Crocodile, and Shark in Monsters of Faerun. If you're going to expand the creatures he can change into, it'll definitely step on Wild Shape even more tightly.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

glitterboypilot

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:44 pm
Yurro
-Spells dependent on Cha: I'm not sure as to why you choose Cha as the stat that determines the strength and ability to use spells, considering that this class seems more of a worshiper of nature and so should be using Wis more. Then again I'm just saying that because of the fact this is taking alot of material from Druids, and I'd think transforming into a Were-creature would make the player's Cha 'physical looks' score lower.

Please don't take this the wrong way about me answering this one for you. I just wanted to help.

But I think he was trying to combine the Favored Soul which used both Charisma and Wisdom modifiers. They kind of explained this was because, the Favored soul has a different connection to his deity or source of power[because the person was prophesied, is a direct descendant of the deity, or what ever] , than the common Cleric. Because of that connection he can use spells by a act of personality[cha the level of spells that can be cast], empowered by his faith[Wis which alter the Saving throw]. Instead of only Faith alone

A DM my rule that it would drop the charisma score. But by game rules, the Charisma score isn't affected when transforming into a Were-beast.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff