Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Eye of the Beholder style Pathfinder Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:15 am
Who has played the old Eye of the Beholder game? The one where you enter the infamous Undermountain on some quest for the council of Waterdeep? How many people are willing to risk it?

Given but just starting gear and thrown into a dungeon, told to get to the bottom on your wits and skill alone, as well as any shiny bits you might find, who would survive?

I'm curious as to what people think of this style of game. A 4 man group, tossed into a situation that can only get worse (aside from NPCs that you might be able to rescue or revive for help), and only a few rations to keep you alive for who knows how long?

This idea was first inspired by the games Eye of the Beholder and Rogue (old ASCII game of win), played on pathfinder rules with my own hunger system. You will get hungry and you will need to eat. I wonder how long it will be till that last goblin you slew starts looking tasty.

The goal? To find the tomb of Roland of Nitan, an ancient hero, to retrieve the legendary armor and weapons found there to save the Kingdom of Habinal from the dread armies of the mysterious man who calls himself Ci. He wears full plate, stylized to look like a wicked ruby dragon and has never been seen without it. He wields an ancient artifact who's true name is lost in time, but he calls it Zarloc the Reaper. It is a large greataxe with a shining mithril blade that is covered in black fire.

So, which heroes will take up this quest to reclaim the lost power of an ancient hero to face an evil not before seen in this world?

Character Creation:

I am only accepting 4 people. That's right, 4.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

ECL: 1.
Races: All standard. Monstrous races are allowed with review. NO TEMPLATES. Remember, monstrous races do have certain advantages, such as a kobold being able to survive on the raw flesh of his enemies.
Stats: Epic point buy.
Equipment: Roll gold as on the SRD.
Leveling: I'm going to have a vote with the 4 players to see what they think. Slower leveling means it's harder and you'll have to use your heads more, but can be a lot more fun and have the game last longer.

Traits: I'll allow two traits as per the rules. I will not allow Rich Parents, and some of the Equipment Traits. They're suppose to be minor background bonuses, not crazy things like 'lol, i has 900 starting gold' or 'I has masterwork weapon of any type, and I use it as if proficient'. Seriously.

All characters will be needed to be approved, so even if 4 people have signed up, I'm taking the 4 guys who look the best, have given a background, and haven't, for some reason, pissed me off.

Note: Due to the story, and mostly to give the players an incentive to use their brains (their actual ones instead of just 'lol I roll dice to solve puzzle' brains), and think of the consequences of their actions, I'm going to be imposing a timelimit. Not 'have to post within X days' though I kinda would enjoy people to actually post and keep active... but an in game timelimit. What that is, is entirely based off which leveling speed the players choose. So play smart, make strategies, actually roleplay and maybe, I don't know, don't run headlong into every enemy? Running is a very viable option, since you are after the artifacts and not killing everything on the way there.

If you succeed in gaining the items and getting out in time, I will totally do a FINAL BOSS battle against Ci and his personal bodyguard.

If you fail to make it out in time with the items, the kingdom will have fallen to Ci's power. You will have a land of strife, tyranny and who knows what horrors will await. At that point, you might battle from day to day only to find endless enemies, no allies, and dwindling hope till you are defeated. But there's always that chance you can do something, but I suggest trying to not let it get to that point. If Ci gets the throne... yea... we're just going to leave it at that.  
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:29 am
*Rubs hands together* Oh this should be fun.

Sign me up =3 Aslong as I'm approved XD

*Taps head* You say Pathfinder styled, what effect does this have on sources?

Rock_DS

4,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:30 am
You're using the Pathfinder SRD.  
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:11 am
I'm definitely interested.
Are you allowing the classes from the Advanced Player's Guide playtest? (Specifically the Summoner class)

Drugged Lolli

Rock_DS

4,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:06 am
I do belive I'll go for a Cleric of sorts. Just need to decide what Domains and the like =3

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:54 am
Actually. I think I will go with an Oracle of Lore =3

Rock_DS

4,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:29 pm
I remember playing Eye of the Beholder on SNES!

I hated that game mad  
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:24 pm
... I hope that such memories do not stop people from joining.

Besides, Computer version was much better.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:41 pm
Well, it wouldn't for me in of itself. I have enough going on where I won't have the time to join (though I do have Pathfinder now.) If nothing else, if I was looking for a 3.5 or PF game, I'd be tempted to join JUST to teach that campaign a thing or two.

^-^'  
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:08 pm
Ah.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

glitterboypilot

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:39 am
I was looking though some of the traits, to try and get an idea. But, I just had to share.

Quote:
...for example, gluing a dead orc’s face to your own face won’t help you disguise yourself as an orc.

Anyone, besides me, find that idea a little disturbing?  
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:03 am
Just a little o.o

Which trait was that?

Rock_DS

4,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100

Rock_DS

4,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:04 am
Never mind, I found it

Improvised Equipment.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:17 pm
Restating my question, since it never got answered...
Are you allowing the classes from the Advanced Player's Guide playtest?

Drugged Lolli

Rock_DS

4,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:45 pm
He was explaing the Oracal and the Witch to me when I said I'd be a healer. So I'd assume you can use the rest in there as well.

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff