Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
I want d20 modern game! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:25 pm
Lol, that makes me sound like a spoilt brat ^^ Anywho, I recently messed about making a character for d20 modern, and realised that I would very much like to be a PC in a modern game. ((Obviously I couldn't use the character I created because of rolls and stuff but meh)) I was wondering if there is any entrepreneurial DM, or rather GM, out there who would fancy running a d20 modern game? I doubt it, but just thought I'd ask ^^  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:44 pm
As I've mentioned several times in passing over the past couple months, I've grown rather attached to Mutants & Masterminds (a d20 system). If one of my games died off, it would be a strong contender for replacement.

Have you ever looked into it, Nayr?

(And rest of my life? That's a bold claim mad )  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:13 pm
Rain Yupa
As I've mentioned several times in passing over the past couple months, I've grown rather attached to Mutants & Masterminds (a d20 system). If one of my games died off, it would be a strong contender for replacement.

Have you ever looked into it, Nayr?

(And rest of my life? That's a bold claim mad )

Oh you would have done mrgreen

I have vaguely heard of it, you are a superhero or villain aren't you? Supposedly the rules are a quite modified version of the d20 one's, maybe I should look into it ninja  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:42 pm
But it could very easily reflect a D20 Modern-esque game, if you tone down the powers. Basically, everything is point buy (and I mean everything), and the 'typical' hero/villain is Power Level 10. Most normal citizens are PL1. So a PL 2-3 game could be 'stronger than average'.

And rather than a hit-point based system, people of higher PLs can get higher attack and defense bonuses, so they're more easily able to hurt weaker foes, while being harder to hurt. Failure tacks on 'Bruised' conditions, which are cumulative -1 to Toughness saves vs damage. If you fail by 15 or more, you're unconscious (or dying, if subject to lethal).

I've even had someone in my group promote a D&D style game using M&M as the system for it, basing your attacks and spells and whatnot off of the power system.

-----------------

Mind you, this is just an alternative. I too own d20 Modern, and it has its place. But it's always felt 'lacking' to me. Something I'd play in, but probably would never run.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:17 pm
I've had awful luck running d20 Modern games here. I swear off of it altogether. I mean I might play.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:20 pm
Yeah, M&M sounds far more 'heroic' than Modern, but I think that's what is cool about Modern. You guys are pretty much normal people, albeit with a couple of hero-esque abilities, but at the low levels, if you get shot, you're going down, which I think makes a nice change of pace. The only time my IRL group did a Modern game I was DM/GM, as per usual, and we only played 3 sessions, but we really enjoyed it; even though it ended in a character betrayal and a TPK! It was a great end to a short adventure. Anyway, what I'm saying is that I think d20 Modern is great, because you don't start off as heroes, although I know that isn't to everyones tastes ^^  

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:21 pm
Arc Vembris
I've had awful luck running d20 Modern games here. I swear off of it altogether. I mean I might play.

hmmm, it seems people would like to play but not run....we need a GM!  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:27 pm
Thanks to the massive damage rules in Modern, you have a solid chance of going down any time you get shot.

I think the important thing about d20 Modern is that while it is very versatile and can play a wide variety of game types, it really shouldn't. A GM needs a clearly defined setting and a set-in-stone plan for what rules modules can be used or else the game overwhelms itself.

I'm one of the seven people who own d20 Past((two of the others are my groomsmen)) and an historical setting is a fantastic place to go, not only because it ratchets what the game allows beyond even the base modern tech.

I also have Dark*Matter, which is a fantastic book, though it's far more valuable for its fluff than the new rules. I'd love to sort of combine he to and run a period D*M game, but it would have to be in a modified 4e. I think a restricted power source game would work just fine in a real-world setting.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:25 am
I myself own the core and the weapons locker but from what I have seen apparently compared to other systems out there d20 modern is lacking. I have asked many people about modern setting games and they say GURPS but of course with the amount of books that gurps has it is a bit overwhelming they also pointed me to New world of darkness. Saying that D20 past? Gangsters? Everyone wearing fedoras at least.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:12 pm
the main selling point of d20 Modern is its similarity with D&D3e. Sure you could play GURPS, but d20 Modern feels and plays a lot more like D&D, which if you're familiar with that will go along way.

The non-setting is one of the things I liked about nWoD, how the main book has enough rules to play an all humans game with the other books adding onto a common base set of rules.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:10 am
Saying that I also like the idea of Dark heresy but thats fantasy sci fi.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:02 am
Being the spiritual parent of d20 Modern, Alternity was also a cool game, but it's impossible to find anyone who has access to the rules  

Arc Vembris
Crew

glitterboypilot

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:27 am
I can run one if someone wishes to co-dm.

I have played a ton of palladium books and many of them have a modernish feel about them. But sadly the only access to the D20 rules is through the srd and sadly not all of the rules are complete or I don't understand them.  
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:34 pm
i'm a really big fa of urban arcana....  

Vorastrix

Hilarious Sage

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:50 pm
I ran Urban Arcana once, but ultimately it was like "Hey I could be actually playing D&D with a better set of rules" UA is like the game saying "See, d20 Modern is just like D&D! See? SEE! SEE!"

In truth though, the book filled out the equipment list quite well, and it's very useful for non-UA Modern games.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff