Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Stupid character concepts Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:59 pm
so, i've heard of exeptionally broken characters that go beyond the impossible thanks to fluff and crunch that are not perfectly entwined, but what about when that same disconnect creates incredibly silly possibilities, that may even work pretty well.

For instance, while looking at potential for a barbarian, I just re-read the hurl weapon feat from Primal power, which lets you treat one-handed, off-hand weapons as heavy thrown weapons. You know some fun one-handed off-hand weapons to throw? Whips and scourges. Apparently hurling a tangle of spines and leather at someone has an effect similar to smacking them with a mace. And I just love the visual of a whip flailing awkwardly through the air as you hurl it 25-50 feet, in clear defiance of aerodynamics. any other equally wtf possibilities you guys know of? any edition.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:48 pm
Halflings in 4e can use a scimitar one-handed. I guess this is only odd depending on how big you think a scimitar is, but since it's non-versatile they don't have to choke up on it. All said it's a nice way to get a small character a d8 weapon if you don't wanna go two-hander(say for shield-users or swordmages)  

Arc Vembris
Crew

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:16 am
I think they have been slowly pushing up the average height of a halfling, so they used to be like half the size of a human (as the name would suggest) but now they're only about 6 inches shorter than dwarves (on average). But yeah I do imagine a scitimar to be a pretty beasty weapon, so it would seem to be a little odd...  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:39 am
scimitar or falchion? I surprised there isn't a saber.... 3.5 scimitar looked like sabers more than scimitars... but yea that's an odd thing I didn't notice I'll have to take a look... I'm oddly surprised they cant be used two handed like the longsword I guess 2d4+1 didnt make sense?  

JinKazamaru

2,750 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:36 am
I'm not surprised there isn't a saber, I think they were trying to minimize the number of crunchily-similar swords. Reskin 'em jsut like anything in 4e, boom it's a cutlass, a saber, a wakizashi.

I'm not sure the halfling height boost was so slow, come 4th ed it jumped about a foot. I guess people were having trouble with something the size of a toddler running around killing things. At least now Halflings can go on rides other than the ball pit at Funland.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:19 pm
Polymorph Any Object. AKA BAM you're a pile of dust, a slight breeze rolls by, you're dead. I actually knew someone that did that as a signature spell. He'd mix it up and change them into other things like chairs, forks, flasks of water, pottery, all sorts of mundane objects. And then break them. Sometimes on other enemies. I mean how demeaning is it to be turned into a chair and then be used to beat your best friend to death, having your legs and back broken in the process?

On a plane with subjective gravity, set a spear or similar weapon, then simply "fall" at your opponent for instant x4 damage. Making yourself into a missile of impalment.

I'm pretty sure 3.0 Drunken Master treated mugs, shot glasses and bottles/broken bottles as unarmed weapons. Meaning you hit someone on the head 6 times with a mug and still keep the drink in it. Or the same with a shot glass and not only not break it, but also avoid massive hand injuries.

Tripwire+Potion of Grease+pit. Trip over, keep going, then fall into a hole that may or may not contain other goodies. Most definetly NOT Gelatinous Cubes. Or lava. Or swarms. Or...  

Durgress

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:33 pm
Durgress
Polymorph Any Object. AKA BAM you're a pile of dust, a slight breeze rolls by, you're dead. I actually knew someone that did that as a signature spell. He'd mix it up and change them into other things like chairs, forks, flasks of water, pottery, all sorts of mundane objects. And then break them. Sometimes on other enemies. I mean how demeaning is it to be turned into a chair and then be used to beat your best friend to death, having your legs and back broken in the process?
I heard of some convoluted way 3.5 psionics could allow you to turn yourself into a sandwich, complete with your consciousness and psionic powers, via transferring your mind to some kind of crystal, polymorphing yourself and transferring it back, or breaking the crystal or something.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:12 pm
Durgress
I'm pretty sure 3.0 Drunken Master treated mugs, shot glasses and bottles/broken bottles as unarmed weapons. Meaning you hit someone on the head 6 times with a mug and still keep the drink in it. Or the same with a shot glass and not only not break it, but also avoid massive hand injuries.

God, you're right. I thought this was bull, but now that I check you're pretty much right. It accounts for bottles breaking, but that's it, and the "keeping your drink in it" clause is even in there. Of course Jackie Chan was known for taking swigs of booze in between delivering blows with these objects in Drunken Master and Legend of Drunken Master. I'm just surprised that using a ladder as an improvised weapon doesn't confer DR given the source material.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Seiryna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:55 pm
SporkMaster5000
so, i've heard of exeptionally broken characters that go beyond the impossible thanks to fluff and crunch that are not perfectly entwined, but what about when that same disconnect creates incredibly silly possibilities, that may even work pretty well.

For instance, while looking at potential for a barbarian, I just re-read the hurl weapon feat from Primal power, which lets you treat one-handed, off-hand weapons as heavy thrown weapons. You know some fun one-handed off-hand weapons to throw? Whips and scourges. Apparently hurling a tangle of spines and leather at someone has an effect similar to smacking them with a mace. And I just love the visual of a whip flailing awkwardly through the air as you hurl it 25-50 feet, in clear defiance of aerodynamics. any other equally wtf possibilities you guys know of? any edition.

This reminds me of the 3.5 feat Throw Anything: Lets you treat any melee weapon you're prof. with as a ranged weapon with a range increment of 10. I have made a fighter with this feat. She also had prof with Full baldes...so yes she treated a giant sword bigger then herself as a ranged weapon, and threw it at people, it was attached to a chain, so she could reel it back if she wanted, was more of an RP weapon then an actual combat weapon, cause the mechanics of D&D...but in the end the its in clear defiance of aerodynamics. put in end to it...I hate when people bring real world physics in to fantsy games like D&D >=/  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:37 pm
Lilly Bloodthorn
SporkMaster5000

This reminds me of the 3.5 feat Throw Anything: Lets you treat any melee weapon you're prof. with as a ranged weapon with a range increment of 10. I have made a fighter with this feat. She also had prof with Full baldes...so yes she treated a giant sword bigger then herself as a ranged weapon, and threw it at people, it was attached to a chain, so she could reel it back if she wanted, was more of an RP weapon then an actual combat weapon, cause the mechanics of D&D...but in the end the its in clear defiance of aerodynamics. put in end to it...I hate when people bring real world physics in to fantsy games like D&D >=/
there was a thread on wizards' boards once about whether an elf could use a greatsword, mostly because of the stereotypical androgynous and frail elfs. it turned into a joke pretty quickly, but it gave me the idea of making an elf that specifically wielded a greatsword like he had the biggest balls in the world. I browsed the SRD and realized you could have a Returning Greatsword of Throwing. Not only would my elf wield a greatsword, he would hurl it at his enemies to slay them from afar. I called it the boomerang blade.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Seiryna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:55 pm
lol that just reminded me of the halfling in complete warrior using over sized weapon feat...would be awesome to see a halfling/gnome barbarian with Monkey grip, and over sized weapon fighting duel wielding full blades, or b*****d swords XD it would be like two giant swords with legs, is all you would see running at you XD specially if he had your so called boomerang blade x2 lol there is alot of pure wtfery you can do in D&D while keeping to the rules XD  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:05 pm
Lilly Bloodthorn
lol that just reminded me of the halfling in complete warrior using over sized weapon feat...would be awesome to see a halfling/gnome barbarian with Monkey grip, and over sized weapon fighting duel wielding full blades, or b*****d swords XD it would be like two giant swords with legs, is all you would see running at you XD specially if he had your so called boomerang blade x2 lol there is alot of pure wtfery you can do in D&D while keeping to the rules XD
I wanted ot make ah alfling fighter in 4e and get him into the eternal defender epic destiny just so he could wield a fullblade. I envisioned him using gloves of storing with it outside of battle, i just thought it's be awesome to have this cocky halfling in armor get into a fight, hold his hands together and then bamf, sword 2-3 times his size out of nowhere he proceeds to hack the s**t out of you with. though the same halfling or a gnome could dual-wield b*****d swords with a multiclass feat to borrow the ranger's twf skills.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:35 pm
Lilly Bloodthorn
would be awesome to see a halfling/gnome barbarian

A Barbarian halfling who multiraced into gnome?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:12 pm
Rain Yupa
Lilly Bloodthorn
would be awesome to see a halfling/gnome barbarian

A Barbarian halfling who multiraced into gnome?
what there's not a half-gnome template in 3.5? i thought you could be half anything.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Seiryna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:58 pm
lol I ment halfling or gnome. / = or XD like in and/or statements...tho halfling half gnome, or gnome half halfling would be weird to see O.o tho I think we discussed this one time in a game I was playing in and a half halfling can't be a halfling its a quaterling...so it would be a Quaterling-Gnome XD = half halfling gnome XD
tho im sure there is a half halfling template somewhere, but I think templates kinda ruin the game, tho I use them. I'm just so sick and tired of seeing people stack on like 8 templates just because it says you can... -.-'
Example Human base race that is a half vampire, werewolf, orc, dragon kin, gargoyle, orge...and I'm sure we ALL have had players like that....  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff