Submit

View Results

Rosenfall

7,050 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Team Edward 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:55 am
TofuAlthough its development likely preceded Liu An, tofu is known to have been a commonly produced and consumed food item in China by the 2nd century BC. Although the varieties of tofu produced in ancient times may not have been identical to those of today, descriptions from writings and poetry of the Song and Yuan Dynasty show that the production technique for tofu had already been standardized by then, to the extent that they would be similar to tofu of contemporary times.
In China, tofu is traditionally used as a food offering when visiting the graves of deceased relatives. It is claimed that the spirits (or ghosts) have long lost their chins and jaws, and that only tofu is soft enough for them to eat. Before refrigeration was available in China, tofu was often only sold during the winter time, due to the tofu not spoiling in the colder weather. During the warmer months, any leftover tofu would be spoiled if left for more than a day. Chinese war hero Guan Yu used to be a tofu maker before he enlisted in the army. Chinese martial arts expert and hero, Yim Wing-chun, was a celebrated tofu maker in her village. (Tofu as such plays a part in the 1994 movie about her life, "Wing Chun".)
Tofu and its production technique were subsequently introduced into Japan in the Nara period (late eighth century) as well as other parts of East Asia. The earliest document of tofu in Japan shows that the dish was served as an offering at the Kasuga Shrine in Nara in 1183[20]. The book Tofu Hyakuchin (豆腐百珍), published in the Edo period, lists 100 recipes for cooking tofu.
The rise in acceptance of tofu likely coincided with that of Buddhism as it is an important source of proteins in the religion's vegetarian diet.[2] Since then, tofu has become a staple in many countries, including Vietnam, Thailand, and Korea, with subtle regional variations in production methods, texture, flavor, and usage.
Tofu is so highly esteemed in Korean culture that the menus of many Korean restaurants are based almost entirely on tofu, including some which feature only sundubu jjigae (a stew made with soft tofu) and gochujang (red chili paste).[citation needed]
In Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia, tofu or tahu is widely available and used in many Malay dishes such as sayur goreng, masak lodeh, tahu sumbat, rojak, pecal, gado-gado, lontong and some curries. Even the Malaysian and Singaporean Indians use tofu in their cuisine such as Indian mee goreng and rojak pasembor. The makers of tofu in these countries were originally the Chinese but tofu now is made by non-Chinese as well.
The primary evidence for this theory lies with the etymological similarity between the Chinese term for Mongolian fermented milk (rufu, which literally means "milk spoiled") and the term doufu or tofu. Although intriguing and possible, there is no evidence to substantiate this theory beyond the point of academic speculation.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:33 pm
i don't know whether tofu is regularly used in Thailand, but i just had some
yummmmy pad thai with tofu!

it just needs to be extra firm, or baked and pressed.

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=319895  

chessiejo

Uadzit
Crew

Ghostly Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:58 am
Pad thai with tofu is the best! I always get that at my local place.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:46 pm
Crumbled tofu in a meat dish is really tasty as well.  

brokenwingedangel1313

Rosenfall

7,050 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Team Edward 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:05 am
tofu hua is yummy too  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:43 pm
Uadzit
Pad thai with tofu is the best! I always get that at my local place.

we must be spirit twins or something

seriously  

chessiejo

6: Pansophic Polls

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas