Submit

Do you like gaia?
  Yes
  No
  Whore
View Results

Nyxiaus`

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:06 pm
Well, let me say that I'm glad to have found this guild with such great subforums.

-

On to my real question.
-

Do any of you / your relatives also suffer from depression. Both my mum and my grand-ma have been depressed for years, and I know I am just as bad as them. I just turned 16, and have never taken anti-depressants.

Do you think it can be passed on genetically?

Also, how should I go about procuring a prescription, for anti-depressants a family practice doctor or like a typerapist/psychologist type doctor? I think they might really help, .

--

Pardon any of my questions that have been asked previously.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:17 pm
Clinical Depression may be inherited. If you suffer from it, chances are it was inherited. However, keep in mind that everyone goes through depression in their life, and that may not exactly mean they are clinically depressed.

Get a check up with your doctor, and see if you are or have your mom set you up with a psychiatrist. Don't dilly dolly, and think "how should I go about it?" Just call and ask for an appointment, or ask your mom to call for you.  

Fynn Kilroy

uPrincess Bubblegum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:44 pm
To answer your first question, yes. two of my family members have/have had clinical depression at some point in their lives. That would be my older brother, and my dad. The trouble is, they don't think medication will help them much, and they're basically stuck in pretty bad money/relationship/family rutts. I have no idea how to help them as a family member, but I know that medication will help (and it might help you too, as long as you trust your doctor for the right perscription).
I've also been pretty depressed from the time I was eleven to twelve years of age.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:23 pm
We're trying to change PCPs right now, but I thoroughly plan on asking for some meds.

I would say it started for me around the same age.

Thanks for your imput smile  

Nyxiaus`

Ganrlin

6,800 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:42 pm
On my mum's side. My Grand dad shot himself. I too am plauged by daily onsets of anguish, but I don't have any vents. Nobody listens because nobody gives a damn in my town about my lack of mental stability. And when I do try to vent, I am called 'emo f**', 'creep', and other degredading term used by the linguistically challenged red necks the make up the population. Creep, because I use rather descriptive, dark and... artistic, somewhat poetic script. f**, because I am a well known, gossiped about monochromatic rainbow-chaser. Emo, If you cant figre that out, you are an idiot. Basically, I would be better off dead, and I lack the positive social support that most others have. So yes, family history of depression.  
47: The Depression Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games