Reply 47: The Depression Forum
Running out of medication choices.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Notakii

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:38 pm
I'm really running out of choices for medication. My doctor doesn't know what to do because I've taken so many different types and they haven't worked and given be bad side effects.
I've taken (some were for ADD): Ritalin, Strattera, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Buspar, Zoloft, Trazadone, Remeron, Trileptal

Which medication worked for you guys?
Are there any left that aren't in the same family of medicines and I haven't taken yet?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:21 pm
?!?! why have you taken so many?  

Anabethe

Notakii

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:42 pm
I didn't take them all at the same time. ^^'
I'm very prone to side effects, and many of them didn't have any effect at all. =/  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:24 pm
my sister and brother both have add and they take Risperidone/Risperdal Concerta and Clonidine. I'm not sure what the first two do but the Clonidine helps them calm down but makes them very sleepy. My brother has a major form of Autism but once he takes 1-3 tablets of Clonidine he calms right down so I know it works.
I'm not sure if I helped but just thought I could try.  

Coco_Bunny23

Anabethe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:37 pm
wow...i don't even know if there is a medicine left that you could take.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:34 pm
soccer_kitty73
my sister and brother both have add and they take Risperidone/Risperdal Concerta and Clonidine. I'm not sure what the first two do but the Clonidine helps them calm down but makes them very sleepy. My brother has a major form of Autism but once he takes 1-3 tablets of Clonidine he calms right down so I know it works.
I'm not sure if I helped but just thought I could try.

If you're prone to side effects Risperidone might be a bad idea. I was on for a while and it turned me into a ******** zombie. Citalopram works okay. I didn't get any side effects from it but, it didn't help with my mood at all. Venlafaxine has worked for me for a good 6 months although if I don't take it properly I get horrible dizzy spells.
But, really this conversation should be held between you and your Doctor. Random tips from people online is like taking someone else's prescription  

Blind Moon

4,800 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Contributor 0

Manly Fop

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:27 am
Been clinically diagnosed for Depression about five years ago.

I started exercising and it worked better for me than anything else I've tried. I don't like the side affect of most drugs, they leave me like a zombie and I'm one of those people who get the "Thought of Suicide" affect.

I took some Psych. classes to better understand the diagnosis and went from there. Sure, I still get down sometimes, but that's life, haha.

Maybe you should consider joining a team sport, it worked out pretty well for me. Plus, I got healthier.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:03 pm
I'm in a really similar situation. I've taken at least one medication from all of the different anti-depressant families. I'm currently on Effexor and it's the very first time I haven't felt like the darkness in me was all consuming. What I've come to realize in my long pursuit of the perfect "happy cocktail" is that right now modern medicine really isn't able to come up with the perfect remedy for most people with severe depression. It's a pretty raw deal but you have to just keep trying things till you find a happy medium of results and side effects that you can live with.

My depression tends to get worse in the winter time regardless of what I'm taking and I'm considering electro-convulsive shock therapy. Has anyone had that or considered it?  

salters

Girl-Crazy Humorist

8,350 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

uPrincess Bubblegum

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:05 pm
I took cipralex for a while. and no side affects (but with most medications, going cold turkey with this one is not a good idea). But, seriously, that's a lot of different medications 0.0

good luck finding the right one!  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:51 pm
wait,whats the problem(why are you taking meds)  

dem0nicd0rk

Fallen Phantom

9,490 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Regular 100
47: The Depression Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items