Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gold.
  Thankyou for reading.
View Results

SilverTalion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:02 am
Well, how pathetic. This is my last option. Last night I attempted to speak with my boyfriend about what's going on, and he basically threw it in my face. Again. I will never learn.

Right now I feel like I'm drowning and I seriously don't know what to do about it. My new job terrifies me to the point of not wanting to get out of bed in the morning. I work 8 hours on Saturdays and 6 hours on Sundays, and I spend the entirety of that time feeling completely overwhelmed and wishing desperately for the day to finally end so that I can go back home and feel safe again. Which is awful because it's a really good job that pays well and I was lucky to get it. I even know that I could be good at it if I wasn't so damn terrified.

Even before I got this job, things were starting to spiral downwards. It's excruciating because I can intellectualise what's going on and pinpoint all the probable reasons for everything. But then it's like I'm paralysed and unable to do anything about it. I know I should go and see a professional, and there are even free counselling services at my uni, but every time I try to pick up the phone to make an appointment, or even try to walk into the office to make an appointment when I'm at uni for other reasons, I just find myself physically incapable of doing so. Even now, I've had to stare at the screen for a long time before I could make myself click the submit button. I can't reach out to people anymore.

I'm just lost. I don't even know what good posting this here will do. It mightn't do any good at all. I guess I'm just sick of not having anyone to reach out to. If you've read this far, even if you don't post: thank you.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:33 pm
Why does your job terrify you? Just curious.

I guess there's not much I can say that you don't already know apparently.. But do yourself a favor and help yourself, because at this point no one else can.

naive melody

SilverTalion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:32 am
megan bell

Not for any rational reason. It requires me to speak to people quite extensively and remember a large amount of detail regarding the items that we sell. I haven't worked there very long which means I am still learning, and also that it's totally normal to be a bit unsure about what I'm doing. But for some reason the fact I have to talk to people - that is, greet them when they enter and offer assistance (even though I know they'll ask a question and I'll have to go ask a co-worker because I won't know the answer) - scares me much more than it should.

megan bell
I guess there's not much I can say that you don't already know apparently.. But do yourself a favor and help yourself, because at this point no one else can.

Thankyou. That's good advice. I like when people get to the point. smile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:17 pm
SilverTalion
megan bell

Not for any rational reason. It requires me to speak to people quite extensively and remember a large amount of detail regarding the items that we sell. I haven't worked there very long which means I am still learning, and also that it's totally normal to be a bit unsure about what I'm doing. But for some reason the fact I have to talk to people - that is, greet them when they enter and offer assistance (even though I know they'll ask a question and I'll have to go ask a co-worker because I won't know the answer) - scares me much more than it should.

megan bell

Thankyou. That's good advice. I like when people get to the point. smile

Hopefully and probably that fear will change in time.. I would think you feel it mostly because the entire situation is rather new. And.. don't fear people (or talking to people). People aren't worth fearing.

<3

naive melody

Lord Drago

Dapper Explorer

4,100 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:42 pm
I don't have much advice other than to try giving up on that one person. Even if it's just something you think you have to do, to explain what was going on, don't; it's futile. As for your job, don't sweat it. I've spoken to many employers, and they respect someone who doesn't freak out under pressure; just work hard and persevere. After a while they may ask if you were ever at all nervous about it. I'd admit it, because it takes a load off of your shoulders. It IS a rational reason for stressing at first, though. Forgetting information can make one feel very unprofessional, especially when you have to talk to a customer about it. The feeling that they're constantly judging you can make you just about piss yourself if it gets to you that much, but it's understandable since you just started. Just get your cool-- fast. If I was an employer, I'd kinda get ticked at a person working there a month or two who still had to ask around. So to be sure, don't sweat the small stuff, and try putting some slack on your body by not stressing.

(And is that your actual pic in your signature?! eek ))  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:09 pm
I've been in the same boat you are. I couldn't bring myself to even apply for a job. I didn't even call a shrink, my friend did it for me because I just couldn't do it.

But I'm glad it got done somehow because talking to a professional helped me so much and I'm sure that if you call, or get someone to call for you, that it will help you as well.

I could never talk to my then-boyfriend about things either. It's so much easier to talk to a 'stranger' than to a friend.

Good luck.
heart  

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50

jms_13_13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:23 pm
even if you arent a 'religious' person, you should go to God with this. He's easier to reach out to than a person, He's already there, and He know what your going thru. or a pastor/clergyman/older Christian.
thats my two cents  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:28 am
SilverTalion
Well, how pathetic. This is my last option. Last night I attempted to speak with my boyfriend about what's going on, and he basically threw it in my face. Again. I will never learn.

Right now I feel like I'm drowning and I seriously don't know what to do about it. My new job terrifies me to the point of not wanting to get out of bed in the morning. I work 8 hours on Saturdays and 6 hours on Sundays, and I spend the entirety of that time feeling completely overwhelmed and wishing desperately for the day to finally end so that I can go back home and feel safe again. Which is awful because it's a really good job that pays well and I was lucky to get it. I even know that I could be good at it if I wasn't so damn terrified.

Even before I got this job, things were starting to spiral downwards. It's excruciating because I can intellectualise what's going on and pinpoint all the probable reasons for everything. But then it's like I'm paralysed and unable to do anything about it. I know I should go and see a professional, and there are even free counselling services at my uni, but every time I try to pick up the phone to make an appointment, or even try to walk into the office to make an appointment when I'm at uni for other reasons, I just find myself physically incapable of doing so. Even now, I've had to stare at the screen for a long time before I could make myself click the submit button. I can't reach out to people anymore.

I'm just lost. I don't even know what good posting this here will do. It mightn't do any good at all. I guess I'm just sick of not having anyone to reach out to. If you've read this far, even if you don't post: thank you.
Everyone fears a new job. it wares off after awhile. Just cope with it as best you can for now and be patient. don't turn it into a bigger problem than it needs to be. stare  

wildblackfire

Your-Final-Kiss

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:00 pm
__Your boyfriend should have listened to you, not be so harsh.__
__You should also be proud to work and choose your job__

__Sometimes you have to appreciate the little things.__

47: The Depression Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items