Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kitsune_Ninja___x

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:06 pm
weather its lying to not hurt somebody... or lying to hurt someone

is lying right?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:02 pm
this is a very difficult question. there can be times when it is both good and bad for you to lie. for example, a time when it's bad to lie would be if you knew someone were guilty of a crime, and yet you lied for them at the trial. you may think, on the other hand, that it was a good idea because you were on thier side of the case, but it would be a horrible action in the end. a time when it's ok to lie, is when the life of someone you beleive is innocent is on the line. now, small things, lie lyng about someone's appearance don't really matter that much to me. but this is all just my point of veiw. in the end, i would say your answer relies strictly in the situation  

the_forgotten_thought

justamat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:44 pm
It is human nature to lie. If we're not lying to others, then we lie to ourselves. Protective rationalization. When we see or do something wrong, our minds automatically come up with justifications. Whether you believe these justifications or not is what determines if it's a lie. Without this feature in our psychology we would probably go insane, with it. . . we would still probably go insane. Lying is considered morally wrong, but it is part of our nature so we can never be rid of it.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:46 pm
Lying is wrong if you lie to hurt someone, even if it's in order to get something you want badly. But there's technical exceptions, like if it's going to kill you if you don't, or if you are pursuing something in an effort of the greater good. No one can judge you for it, unless they plan on doing something about it. It's every man for itself in those kinds of situations.  

Lord Drago

Dapper Explorer

4,100 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Gopher dude

Questionable Lover

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:09 pm
No. Lieing is wrong. Always...ALWAYS tell the truth.

No exceptions..no loop holes. The truth is the best.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:31 pm
Lying is perfectly fine if the other person wants you to lie to them.

Lying to me, though, is not all right, because I prefer the truth. If someone wants to tell me something "mean," and it's really what they think, I'd prefer it rather than them telling me that I'm fantastic or great at something.  

Kalathma

Kittie-sama

Apocalyptic Lunatic

13,800 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • The Edgiest 250
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:03 am
User Image

This is a very good question in all truth it would depend on many things. Why one is lying in the first place? It's our natural response to not wish to have harm come to us, or to feel threaten, hence sometimes one will lie to protect themselves from further problems that could happen. No matter what the case is, if we are lying to protect ourselves or someone close to us then we are following our natural response to such things. Things like telling the truth tends to be saved when we do not believe we ourselves will be endangered, or perhaps that by not telling the truth we could be in more danger.

I believe it comes down to fear, is telling the truth going to cause a greater problem for us, or would the lying do so?

User Image

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:00 pm
justamat
It is human nature to lie. If we're not lying to others, then we lie to ourselves. Protective rationalization. When we see or do something wrong, our minds automatically come up with justifications. Whether you believe these justifications or not is what determines if it's a lie. Without this feature in our psychology we would probably go insane, with it. . . we would still probably go insane. Lying is considered morally wrong, but it is part of our nature so we can never be rid of it.

brilliant... in our lives we make our own truths, to suit our own needs and help us sleep at night. so we all lie to ourselves. I have often said that the people who are happiest in life are the ones who can fool themselves. having said that, lying to yourself is fine, but lying to others if always wrong. even if its a "little white" lie to save someones feelings, its still a lie and its still very wrong. because people will eventually find out, and then they wont trust you. the truth hurts more then you could imagine, so dont ask questions you dont want to know the answer to. I would trust some a*****e who has never lied to me, more then I would someone who has kissed my butt everyday of my life. there will always be situations were you could lie to make someone feel good or not hurt there feelings, but dont. change the subject or somthing, or dont answer directly. example.....

your GF has put on a few pounds over the holidays because of all the food and not doing her Yoga... she ask "I think I am gaining weight, do I look fat?" you could say "oh no baby your dont look fat, are you sure the scale isnt broken?" thats a lie and you know it, she knows it and has lost respect for you... instead say, "dont worry about it baby you will always be beautiful to me, and everyone gains a little around this time of year anyway, hell look at santa.." she will laugh, then you should hug and kiss her. point is.. you didnt lie, and because of that she respects and trust you more.  

Luvs2Snuggle

Luvs2Snuggle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:07 pm
Kittie-sama
User Image

This is a very good question in all truth it would depend on many things. Why one is lying in the first place? It's our natural response to not wish to have harm come to us, or to feel threaten, hence sometimes one will lie to protect themselves from further problems that could happen. No matter what the case is, if we are lying to protect ourselves or someone close to us then we are following our natural response to such things. Things like telling the truth tends to be saved when we do not believe we ourselves will be endangered, or perhaps that by not telling the truth we could be in more danger.

I believe it comes down to fear, is telling the truth going to cause a greater problem for us, or would the lying do so?

User Image

courage isnt the absence of fear... its acting in the face of it. being weak is not an excuse to lie. in saying that, you are condoning the actions of weak people. thats like saying you wouldnt testify against a killer because you thought you might die. so instead you let him continue to kill innocent people by lying to the police and teling them you dont know who is doing it. honor and courage are things that are vanishing from this world at a rapid rate, just like truth.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:34 am
personally, i think we shouldn't lie. i wish that, somehow, everyone on Earth would lose the ability to lie, even though i know that most of the human population would die or be injured as an eventual result. but, since that won't happen, i have to say that lying is necessary in life. the only way that never lying would really be a good practical thing is if every human being was completely reasonable/understanding, and we all know that isn't true.
even i lie a lot. but i still wish that nobody could anymore, including myself.  

magic_doglover

Distinct Dog

6,650 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

reality-monkey-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:03 am
i consider lying to work the same as a gun...its an entirely situational thing, and it can become a skill, an asset in the right hands...or a weapon, a liaibility in the wrong ones...if you remove lying (guns) from play, something much worse will come...lies need to exist, for good or for bad...

lies protect, or help SOMEONE at least...the liar can protect themselves, others, and in alot of cases doesnt ever hurt anyone (sorta like threatening with an unloaded gun)

so yes, lying is good, but i am a man of low morals...in my eyes killing is open game, so its hard to use my opinion...  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:11 pm
Luvs2Snuggle
justamat

brilliant... in our lives we make our own truths, to suit our own needs and help us sleep at night. so we all lie to ourselves. I have often said that the people who are happiest in life are the ones who can fool themselves. having said that, lying to yourself is fine, but lying to others if always wrong. even if its a "little white" lie to save someones feelings, its still a lie and its still very wrong. because people will eventually find out, and then they wont trust you. the truth hurts more then you could imagine, so dont ask questions you dont want to know the answer to. I would trust some a*****e who has never lied to me, more then I would someone who has kissed my butt everyday of my life. there will always be situations were you could lie to make someone feel good or not hurt there feelings, but dont. change the subject or somthing, or dont answer directly. example.....

your GF has put on a few pounds over the holidays because of all the food and not doing her Yoga... she ask "I think I am gaining weight, do I look fat?" you could say "oh no baby your dont look fat, are you sure the scale isnt broken?" thats a lie and you know it, she knows it and has lost respect for you... instead say, "dont worry about it baby you will always be beautiful to me, and everyone gains a little around this time of year anyway, hell look at santa.." she will laugh, then you should hug and kiss her. point is.. you didnt lie, and because of that she respects and trust you more.
I gurantee that at least 90% of girls who say they want your honest opinion on something like that would throttle your neck -- or anyone else's neck for that matter -- if a guy compared them to Santa Claus. XD But personally, I really don't mind if a woman has a few pounds extra, because I don't like the brutally frail freaky toothpicks who could play the marimba with their own ribcage.  

Lord Drago

Dapper Explorer

4,100 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

lotusvoid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:26 pm
This is not a difficult question, and we can not answer that for you. Each and every person must have his or her own paradigm, their own set of values and thoughts that make up your own subjective reality. the question of wehter or not you should lie, wether or not it is wrong to do so is completly unanswerable by anyone but yourself. There is no right or wrong answer, only what cause and effect you are going to value as being right or preferable.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:58 pm
I think telling the truth is way better.
I believe being honest is better than lying.  

Blackhearts-ect

Magical Poster

Apotheosic

7,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:55 pm
i feel that lying is one of the worst sins a human can commit, namely because A): only harm can ever come from it, it doesnt matter whether you are lieing to save a life or prevent emotional harm to someone, no good can ever come of it, the truth will ALWAYS be revealed, and you will always be revealed as a shamefaced liar, and punishment may be in order in the cases of lying in court. i know firsthand what havoc lies can wreak on one's life, i have been lieing to everyone i know for years and as a direct result have been made miserable for it. lies just pile up upon one another until one is unmasked, and then the whole stack comes crashiong down on your shoulders, and you and you alone must shoulder all the blame for the seemingly harmless little lies you have committed through your life. and secondly, lies are a sin against nature. i know i sound absurd, but it is true. humans take their gifted intellects and from birth only use them to further their own self-interest, fueled by lies, animals and plants and rocks and water do not lie, so why should we, what can be gained through twisting the truth, that cant be gained with less pain through telling the whole and nothing but the truth? seriously. but thats just my opinion.  
11: The Intelligent Cogitation: For the Master Debaters

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff