Reply 72: Science & Astronomy Hangout
Are hybrids really that great.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

soviet-endlesswaltz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:01 pm
Every one has seen the sticker mpg for hybrids at 60 + mpg. but the cars actual performance esspecially in cold weather is up to 15% less estemated. some people complain of this discrepancy already, most because of the thousands more dollars for the hybrid engine. technology is getting better but is the hype too much. 2008 standards may be too tough under a more advanced test for mpg to replace the 20 year old current policy.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:09 pm
Quote:
Every one has seen the sticker mpg for hybrids at 60 + mpg

uh... I haven't. I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't see what's wrong in what you're saying, and I think it's cause I don't understand this.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
  • Planetary Technician 150

UF6

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:02 pm
AstronomyGirl
Quote:

uh... I haven't. I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't see what's wrong in what you're saying, and I think it's cause I don't understand this.
Well hybrid cars run at hotter temperatures which is good since the hotter the burn the more efficient it is though theses engines are not made of ceramics so they have a lower tolerance to heat and they die in six to eight years unlike a conventional car that can last far longer.  
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:44 pm
Steven Hawkings
AstronomyGirl
Quote:

Well hybrid cars run at hotter temperatures which is good since the hotter the burn the more efficient it is though theses engines are not made of ceramics so they have a lower tolerance to heat and they die in six to eight years unlike a conventional car that can last far longer.

also in colder weather the battery creates less energy and the gas engine is forced to compensate using far more gas, plus the same thing happens when the ac or radio is going.  

soviet-endlesswaltz

soviet-endlesswaltz

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:48 pm
AstronomyGirl
Quote:

most people have seen that the miles per gallon listed on the new hybrids is 60+ miles per gallon, but they rarely if ever meet that expectation.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:57 am
I have a friend who has a Toyota Prius and he actually gets MORE than the EPA estimate for the MPG. Of course, He's an engineer and he's made a game out of beating the EPA numbers. He actually doesn't drive too slow or anything too weird. He mostly accelerates moderately and plans ahead for the braking. Based on his experience with his Prius, we estimate that Americans could improve the gas mileage of their vehicles by about 15% (hybrid or not) just by driving a little more conscientiously. That might be too much to ask. gonk  

lazy bonz

UF6

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:37 pm
lazy bonz
I have a friend who has a Toyota Prius and he actually gets MORE than the EPA estimate for the MPG. Of course, He's an engineer and he's made a game out of beating the EPA numbers. He actually doesn't drive too slow or anything too weird. He mostly accelerates moderately and plans ahead for the braking. Based on his experience with his Prius, we estimate that Americans could improve the gas mileage of their vehicles by about 15% (hybrid or not) just by driving a little more conscientiously. That might be too much to ask. gonk
Well what we could do is make the engines made of ceramics as I stated earlier, but we can never get a combustion engine more efficant than 40%, due to air circulation among ect. Driving as is a factor.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:06 pm
lazy bonz

Some may get more and some less. But there are still people complaining. Gas mileage has to do with a multitude of factors, heat, driving aggression, braking, wind, weight, among other factors. driving (illegally) in a normal car you may get 100 mpg. this is more about averages. Was he driving in snowy cold conditions? from what I've read that will hurt your mileage.  

soviet-endlesswaltz

Deute

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:19 am
Steven Hawkings
lazy bonz
Well what we could do is make the engines made of ceramics as I stated earlier, but we can never get a combustion engine more efficant than 40%, due to air circulation among ect. Driving as is a factor.

If using prices and low life expentancy of the hybrid engine as part of the reason why it shouldn't be that popular; then manufacturing a ceramic engine would be insanely expensive and dangerously brittle.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:12 pm
lazy bonz

I drive a 2002 Dodge Caravan... It's rated 16 city, 22 highway, 18 combined

Over the 120,000 miles I've driven it, I've averaged 23.6 MPG, so yeah, driving habits count for a lot! That's like 30% over the estimate. blaugh  

engineer-of-doom
Captain

Original Visionary

15,050 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Object of Affection 150

almisami

Fashionable Fatcat

7,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:28 pm
I don,t think hybrids are all that great. I'd say get a small electric subcompact (Nissan's going to release one song) for urban travel and a 2nd-hand low-mileage 4-door sedan if you need to take a road trip. For the same price as a hybrid, you now have TWO cars that are just as polyvalent and most likely greener if you use each for it's intended use.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:31 am
I don't want a hybrid. I'm waiting on electric cars. biggrin  

Alice_K8

72: Science & Astronomy Hangout

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas