Plausable
  Unlikely
  No
  Unsure
  Wha? (That didnt make any sence!)
View Results

Kahalm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:13 pm
Ive kinda had this thought for a few years. Ive asked a few different people about it, from astronamy buff friends of mine, to teachers and proffessors. I got the Idea from watching Star Trek, when Picard gives the order "all stop." It got me thinking, how would the theory of relitivity affect an object which is at a compleate stop.

Considering that we on earth are rotating around the planet, which is orbiting the sun, which is orbiting in our galaxy, which is orbiting in our local group, which is orbiting in our... well... you get the idea, we are far from standing still. However if you could slow down or stop, getting farther from the speed of light, could have some interesting affects.

Now some things I have heard from my friends/teachers is that slowing down or stopping would be impossable, since what is it exactly that you are slowing down or stopping in relation to... Not quite sure If im satisfied with that answer though.

Now if I made any sence I would like to know your thoughts on this  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:45 am
Well, heres my theory
When they give the order, "All Stop" They do, but they're still orbiting inside the galaxy, just like earth does. If you take into effect, say, a far off shipyard that isnt in orbit around anything, it is still able to see the earth, even if its been in orbit for [however long it takes for the earth to visably move, say, a light year] so, even if your at a full stop, your still orbiting the center of the galaxy.
But lets say you werent in a galaxy, i dont think there would be any ill effects, maybe a moment or two of odd not moving feeling, but i dont think anything bad would happen.  

Kurzon_Dax

UF6

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:13 pm
If they are going at light speed and Picard orders a stop, how can the Enterprise slow down? I mean the single in order to stop the engines would never reach them.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:18 pm
They slow to impulse first, then order an all stop. Its a graduall stop, and why wouldnt it reach them?  

Kurzon_Dax

Kahalm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:35 am
note, Im not refering to how the the enterprize stops. rather how "stopping" would affect you in regaurds to relitivity.

Ok, So im assuming everyone is familar with theory of relitivity. In a nutshell as you approach the speed of light, time slows down. So, if you where to go onto a star ship and go near the speed of light for 2 years, then come back to earth, earth would have aged far longer. So my thought is that if you go slower than you currently are, would that mean that you would spend two years in your "stop" while the rest of the world where to age 20 minutes? Just the reverse of going really really fast. Moreover if the reverse happens if you go really slow, what would happen when you stop.

If you have 0 speed what so ever... Then what... If going fast slows time down (in relation to everyone else) and going really slow speeds time up (again in relation)...

Again, hard to explain in text.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:28 pm
I'm not sure what you're talking about. Don't watch Star Trek and I don't get what you're trying to say.

If you're trying to stop you're moving at very slow velocities and so relativistic effects woudl be negligible. You can't ask how it would affect someone in regards to relativity cause relvativity can't be applied to this situation. You need high speeds or an acceleration for relativity to apply.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
  • Planetary Technician 150

UF6

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:50 pm
Kahalm
note, Im not refering to how the the enterprize stops. rather how "stopping" would affect you in regaurds to relitivity.

Ok, So im assuming everyone is familar with theory of relitivity. In a nutshell as you approach the speed of light, time slows down. So, if you where to go onto a star ship and go near the speed of light for 2 years, then come back to earth, earth would have aged far longer. So my thought is that if you go slower than you currently are, would that mean that you would spend two years in your "stop" while the rest of the world where to age 20 minutes? Just the reverse of going really really fast. Moreover if the reverse happens if you go really slow, what would happen when you stop.

If you have 0 speed what so ever... Then what... If going fast slows time down (in relation to everyone else) and going really slow speeds time up (again in relation)...

Again, hard to explain in text.
I'll do us all a favor and scan the book, when I get it back tomorrow.  
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:54 am
To quote a genius (in my opinion): "Time is an illusion. Lunch time doubly so."  

Seanchaidh

Aged Explorer

3,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Kurzon_Dax

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:19 am
Seanchaidh
To quote a genius (in my opinion): "Time is an illusion. Lunch time doubly so."

lol...your awesome  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:19 am
Unlikely, it would take a while to stop something big moving that fast. My dad drives big rig trucks and it takes a few feet before those things finally stop when putting on the brakes.  

Padme18

UF6

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:17 am
Padme18
Unlikely, it would take a while to stop something big moving that fast. My dad drives big rig trucks and it takes a few feet before those things finally stop when putting on the brakes.
Umm there is no friction in space, one would have to use a device to advert a thrust in the other direction to slow it down.  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:16 am
Steven Hawkings
Padme18
Umm there is no friction in space, one would have to use a device to advert a thrust in the other direction to slow it down.

You would also have to take into account any gravitational pulls anywhere close enough to have an effect. Also, you would have to take into account your own conception of movement: in space the close reference points are few, so are you moving or is it them?  

Seanchaidh

Aged Explorer

3,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Corvius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:04 am
Steven Hawkings
If they are going at light speed and Picard orders a stop, how can the Enterprise slow down? I mean the single in order to stop the engines would never reach them.

"They are in a
Quote:
warpbubble
,supposedly, the effects of FTL Travel does not apply to them. Read up about the Alcubierre Drive. Its a pretty interesting and plasuible concept"...  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:58 am
Corvius
Steven Hawkings

"They are in a
Quote:
warpbubble
,supposedly, the effects of FTL Travel does not apply to them. Read up about the Alcubierre Drive. Its a pretty interesting and plasuible concept"...
Well another way is to cross a four space and some how be able to remain in a three space. Though I will read up on your request.  

UF6

72: Science & Astronomy Hangout

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff