Reply 72: Science & Astronomy Hangout
Biomechanics and YOU

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kahalm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:27 am
Well, first off I wana limit the subject a bit. Im refering to human walking/running. As interesting as the broad subject of animals moving is...

First off Im curious to know how many people know anything about the science behind how humans run/walk. I work at a shoe retail store (Roadrunner sports) where I have been trained (OVER 80 HOURS) on human walking/running, the science behind it, and related issues (injories, problems, etc). I quickly found myself loving it all. So I decided to make a forum for anyone who shares an simular interest (or knowledge), or someone who has questions for me.

I would like to consider myself somewhat of an expert (again 80 hours... and work experiance helps). Although I may not be well versed on the medical terms exactly (I got the basics... of course). The main reason I have had this training is to be able to fit people for THE BEST shoe possable for anyone. So I can also answer general questions about shoes and how they effect your specific biomechanics... Thats my little speal at least (sorry, Im terrable... I know)

Anyway, thanks for your time. If you know a thing or a two, let me know I would love get oppinions or trade knowledge. Otherwise, like I said, I would be happy to answer questions you may have.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:35 pm
oo cool ^_^
Personally I've never been much into biomechanics or any biophysics stuff for that matter. Never cared for the bio part. blaugh

Don't have any questions right now. I'll let you know if I think of any though.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
  • Planetary Technician 150

UF6

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:09 pm
Interesting, anyways what part of human movement in the feet do you want to know, you might not know? Sorry I have no idea what your training was in details.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:34 pm
well, Since im a salesman, my training was mostly practical knowledge. This would include how to identify individuals gait, deduce a possable combination of shoes/insoles to help best with that gait, and measure success of the shoe on the individual. Like I say, practical knowledge only.

Say, for example, I have a client come in. After watching him run and using a presto scan (a ground sensor which measures weight distribution of a walk) I would be able to tell the following important facts, Arch Type, amount of pronation in the foot, Shape of foot, potental problems, as well as a viriety of other factors. From there I generally get a good idea what category shoe the client belongs in (the three generic type of shoes are Nutrual, stability, and motion control). I then get 3 or 4 different shoes and have the client try them on, checking the fit and seeing how well the shoe does to cussion/stabalize the foot. If it feels good, fits good, and seems to be the right amount of support, Then I ring the costomer up. Often they are very happy with their purchase... Anyway

As far as questions I may have may come up over time... Probabbly when I see clients with problems, tendences, etc, that im not familar with.  

Kahalm

UF6

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:48 pm
Kahalm
well, Since im a salesman, my training was mostly practical knowledge. This would include how to identify individuals gait, deduce a possable combination of shoes/insoles to help best with that gait, and measure success of the shoe on the individual. Like I say, practical knowledge only.

Say, for example, I have a client come in. After watching him run and using a presto scan (a ground sensor which measures weight distribution of a walk) I would be able to tell the following important facts, Arch Type, amount of pronation in the foot, Shape of foot, potental problems, as well as a viriety of other factors. From there I generally get a good idea what category shoe the client belongs in (the three generic type of shoes are Nutrual, stability, and motion control). I then get 3 or 4 different shoes and have the client try them on, checking the fit and seeing how well the shoe does to cussion/stabalize the foot. If it feels good, fits good, and seems to be the right amount of support, Then I ring the costomer up. Often they are very happy with their purchase... Anyway

As far as questions I may have may come up over time... Probabbly when I see clients with problems, tendences, etc, that im not familar with.
Sounds far better fitting tools then getting your foot in these metal vice things. Here is a question how does the foot overall react to the friction inside the shoe if it dosent fit well as in to small, or then feeling not quite right wj=hat effects does it have on footing?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:24 am
Well the wrong shoe can have a number of ill effects. Just being too small can mean blisters, if its really bad it can lead to the nerves being pinched up together, causing lots of pain.

But theres more to a shoe than just the size. Different shoes manufacturers use different foot models. The big difference is in arch length and toe box size/shape. My foot, for example, most closely matches "Saucony," a running shoe brand. While that is well and good for me, you may fit better in a nike. Often you hear runners developing a liking to one brand over others. This isnt just because they like the style, often it means their foot matches the foot model of that manufactuer closely. Of course, just because your friend really loves his Nikes, doesnt mean YOU should get them.

Of course, other differences in the shoe is amount of support. Most people when they walk do something known as pronation. Pronation is the foots way to absorb the shock of walking/running. A normal pronator needs a little bit of support, but that of which can be found in most shoes (Known as stability shoes). Some people (like me) "Overpronate" that is, the foot looses its shape and absorbs too much shock that it becomes unstable. This Overpronation often kicks out the heel a slight bit and kicks in the knee, often leading to pain or discomfort. As you can imagine their shoes need to have beefy suport (known as motion control). Lastly some people Underpronate, that is their foot remains so ridged it doesnt absorb very much shock. Often this leads to knee pain and can cause stress fractures. Someone who underpronates requires alot of padding and no support in their shoe (known as a nutrual shoe).

Now to find out how much suport your foot needs, I would prolly need to see you walk... However, since that isnt really possable, ill tell you what I look for when fitting a shoe.

First off your going to have to take off your shoes and stand up. take a few steps then stand still. Note what direction your feet are pointing.

If your feet are pointing strait ahead of you, or very slightly outwards, this shows a tendency for normal pronation

If your feet are pointing outward, this shows a tendency for overpronation.

If your feet are pointing slightly inward, this shows a tendency for underpronation.

Next, walk in a strait line and pay attention to what part of the foot you step off from.

If your weight goes though the center toes, this shows normal pronation.

If your weight goes though the big toe, or on the inside of the big toe, this shows overpronation.

If your weight goes though your outter toes, this shows underpronation.

Also pay attention to what angle your feet are at, like the previous step, are they pointing strait, outward, or inward.

You may notice a slight difference between your left foot and right foot, this isnt uncommon. Rarely are peoples feet compleatly symetrical... HOWEVER if they are VERY different, thats usually when I recogmend you to see a doctor.  

Kahalm

UF6

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:20 pm
Thanks, most of my weight is in the center region of my feet. I have feet with normal pronation. My shoes I hate, though want brand chatters to my needs?  
72: Science & Astronomy Hangout

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games