Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dyson Sphere
  Gotta love star trek.
View Results

Corvius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:27 pm
"One of two problems of Dyson Spheres, is time/resources. Second, the heat inside such a thing would pose such a dangerous hazard to the ENTIRE sphere itself. Also, if this star we were harvesting had an unexpected solar flare or expanded and such, the entire sphere would be damged, if not destroyed. Also, think what would happen if such a sphere, for some reason, broke apart and some collapsed into the star. This could potenetially instablitize the star"...  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:20 pm
Red 5
"One of two problems of Dyson Spheres, is time/resources. Second, the heat inside such a thing would pose such a dangerous hazard to the ENTIRE sphere itself. Also, if this star we were harvesting had an unexpected solar flare or expanded and such, the entire sphere would be damged, if not destroyed. Also, think what would happen if such a sphere, for some reason, broke apart and some collapsed into the star. This could potenetially instablitize the star"...

heat inside the sphere... never thought of that before... I dunno though... depends where you build the sphere... and I'm guessing there woudl be heat transfere to the outside. I don't think the last few points would be a problem. Well they would if you build it right around a sar, but I think the idea is to build them farther out, to encompase the solar system, not just the star itself.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
  • Planetary Technician 150

Corvius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:33 pm
AstronomyGirl
Red 5

heat inside the sphere... never thought of that before... I dunno though... depends where you build the sphere... and I'm guessing there woudl be heat transfere to the outside. I don't think the last few points would be a problem. Well they would if you build it right around a sar, but I think the idea is to build them farther out, to encompase the solar system, not just the star itself.

"Good point. A star's instablity is still a problem though. What if you realized that the star was going to collapse? You would have to find a way to move the Sphere. A break-apartable Sphere?"...  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:15 pm
three major flaws i see with trying to build one. Size, gravity, resources. How would you keep the small pieces and robots in orbit without getting hit by a solar flare, or being sucked in. You'd have to be close enough to make it resonable and still harness massive amounts of energy, yet far enough away to not get sucked in. And the resources to build such a thing would be phenomenal, no way we can build one in this century.  

Kurzon_Dax

Corvius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:39 pm
((Love the Captain Kirk sig, Dax!...))  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:11 am
Red 5
((Love the Captain Kirk sig, Dax!...))
[thanks red]  

Kurzon_Dax

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:04 am
Red 5
AstronomyGirl
Red 5

"Good point. A star's instablity is still a problem though. What if you realized that the star was going to collapse? You would have to find a way to move the Sphere. A break-apartable Sphere?"...

A star dying and collapsing is a problem for any solar system. Even if we did build one of these and could move it, when our star died it woudl still distroy us. We can't avoid it.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:06 am
Kurzon_Dax
three major flaws i see with trying to build one. Size, gravity, resources. How would you keep the small pieces and robots in orbit without getting hit by a solar flare, or being sucked in. You'd have to be close enough to make it resonable and still harness massive amounts of energy, yet far enough away to not get sucked in. And the resources to build such a thing would be phenomenal, no way we can build one in this century.

Lagrange points could easily keep things in orbit without moving in our out.
Solar flares don't go that far out. And I'm assuming you'd have to find something that wouldn't be as effected by a solar flare otherwise it woudlnt' last long to begin with.
Also though, if you ahve one big object all connected togehter with the sun at the center, it won't get sucked into the sun. basic physics of gravity.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Kurzon_Dax

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:51 pm
AstronomyGirl
Kurzon_Dax

Solar flares don't go that far out. And I'm assuming you'd have to find something that wouldn't be as effected by a solar flare otherwise it woudlnt' last long to begin with.
Also though, if you ahve one big object all connected togehter with the sun at the center, it won't get sucked into the sun. basic physics of gravity.

Sure...shoot down all my theories...*sniff* anyway, theres still a matter of building something roughly equivalint to a planet, plus, theres the insed of the dyson sphere, with the virtuall world. I dont see it ever happening  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:39 pm
Kurzon_Dax
AstronomyGirl
Kurzon_Dax

Sure...shoot down all my theories...*sniff* anyway, theres still a matter of building something roughly equivalint to a planet, plus, theres the insed of the dyson sphere, with the virtuall world. I dont see it ever happening

equivilent to a planet? a dyson sphere would be SOO much bigger... think the solar system... a sphere the size of the solar system. That's the main limiting factor. to be able to get enough material and resources to build something that huge.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Kurzon_Dax

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:50 am
AstronomyGirl
Kurzon_Dax
AstronomyGirl
Kurzon_Dax

equivilent to a planet? a dyson sphere would be SOO much bigger... think the solar system... a sphere the size of the solar system. That's the main limiting factor. to be able to get enough material and resources to build something that huge.

Theres varying sizes, but yet, much much resources  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:37 pm
rugged

LiBu
Also, because I have to wonder, is the technology at all similar to that in Dyson vaccum cleaners?
This is remarkably simple to answer, actually - NO.

Ah, but wouldn't it be great if they were invented by the same guy, or one of his descendents. lol  

Seanchaidh

Aged Explorer

3,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
72: Science & Astronomy Hangout

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers