3,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:50 pm
Wow, that was a conversation stopper!  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:13 pm
Seanchaidh
Black holes are just dead stars that have collapsed in on themselves, creating an incredibly dense core of matter. This core has such a huge gravitational pull that all matter surrounding it within its "Event Horizon", including photons (light particles), are pulled into it. They cannot be seen, merely detected by the gravitational effect on surrounding major astronomical bodies. They are not portals to another time or place, they are just very small balls of immense mass.

The idea of a portal through time and/or space comes from the wormhole: a theoretical bend, crease or ruffle in the fabric of the space-time continuum. If such a thing were to exist then, supposing we had the technology to get to it, it would allow us to primarily travel through "space". Because the distance we would be travelling would (possibly) be so immense, we could arguably be travelling faster than the speed of light and therefore also travelling through "time".

We must remember that the light we see reaching us from these distant stars and galaxies and so on is sometimes millions of years old: it does not show us a current picture of the universe, but a picture of the universe as it was all those millions of years ago.
We have no idea what a black hole leads to, its been proposed that micron black holes are all around us, how due they stop fro being giants? Planck mass says these would be smaller than a electron and therefor be evaporated before it gets anywhere also a new thing suggest that a electron may be a micro black hole  

UF6

UF6

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:15 pm
Seanchaidh
question  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:40 am
Steven Hawkings
Seanchaidh
question

The thread was pretty dead for about 11 days!  

Seanchaidh

Aged Explorer

3,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

UF6

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:21 pm
Seanchaidh
Steven Hawkings
Seanchaidh
question

The thread was pretty dead for about 11 days!
Finals are near for most here.  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:55 pm
True, I guess. My students are all off for their study leave before their exams too.  

Seanchaidh

Aged Explorer

3,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

LucidaOfIce

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:42 am
You should google it and than come back with an actual discussion.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:42 pm
Isn't a black hole just the core of a collapsed star that has been compressed to a infinitely small point and has gravity so strong that nothing can escape, not even light?  

the-cydonian

UF6

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:36 pm
the-cydonian
Isn't a black hole just the core of a collapsed star that has been compressed to a infinitely small point and has gravity so strong that nothing can escape, not even light?
It varies in what kind of black hole you talk of. A spinning black hole can allow objects to escape, by the properties of space-time in the inner event horizon. Objects to move away from the singularity, pass through another set of event horizons, and emerge out of the black hole into another universe or another part of the universe. Also they don't travel faster than the speed of light.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:54 am
I'm going on holiday for three weeks. I'll be back to argue theoretical physics in August. smile  

Seanchaidh

Aged Explorer

3,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

UF6

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:04 pm
Seanchaidh
I'm going on holiday for three weeks. I'll be back to argue theoretical physics in August. smile
Well have a nice time then.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:49 pm
"The funny thing about black holes is... ... ... well, lol, nevermind...

Have we ever found physical proof of black holes? We have all these speculations and guesses and mathmatics for these things, but have we ever actually gone out and found one? All the pictures I've seen are Artistic Views of such matters...

Yes, Hawkeye Radiation is something, but I've read somewhere that black holes are not the only things that create Hawkeye Radiation, some other things do such as Neuton Stars (I believe). So, what exactly is the validity of Black Holes existing?...

Instead, when a start collapses, maybe all that matter falls back down to the Basic atomic form and scatters throughout space like an explosion? Why does it have to become a black hole? Think of a collapsing building, the matter and the point of collapse spreads out in all directions, why do we just assume (if we do) that it all stays put and forms a black hole?...

Just a couple of questions that came to mind right now as I'm waiting to eat dinner and leave for my Manderine Chinese Classes"...

Corvius

Thyplosion

Unsealed Power

12,725 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:12 pm
Hm, If black holes has a gravitational pull that is so powerful, wouldn't it be extreme in size and grows infinitely? I mean, bigger than Jupiter? Because it attracts objects like stones, carbon, oxygen, ice caps and etcetera and gravity is affected by mass.

And if light, too is attracted due to gravitational force, does that mean light has mass?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:15 pm
This thread was dead for about 2 years. I wonder what happened.  

Thyplosion

Unsealed Power

12,725 Points
  • Informer 100
  • That One Hero 500

Thyplosion

Unsealed Power

12,725 Points
  • Informer 100
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:21 pm
Corvius
"The funny thing about black holes is... ... ... well, lol, nevermind...

Have we ever found physical proof of black holes? We have all these speculations and guesses and mathmatics for these things, but have we ever actually gone out and found one? All the pictures I've seen are Artistic Views of such matters...

Yes, Hawkeye Radiation is something, but I've read somewhere that black holes are not the only things that create Hawkeye Radiation, some other things do such as Neuton Stars (I believe). So, what exactly is the validity of Black Holes existing?...

Instead, when a start collapses, maybe all that matter falls back down to the Basic atomic form and scatters throughout space like an explosion? Why does it have to become a black hole? Think of a collapsing building, the matter and the point of collapse spreads out in all directions, why do we just assume (if we do) that it all stays put and forms a black hole?...

Just a couple of questions that came to mind right now as I'm waiting to eat dinner and leave for my Manderine Chinese Classes"...

Black Holes are from the General Theory of Relativity. This means that this is one of the possible products of... Well, I dunno. I don't know much about black holes. But the second statement of this paragraph is applied generally to theories.  
72: Science & Astronomy Hangout

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff