Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
  • Planetary Technician 150
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:05 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:35 pm
As much as I agree that NASA's budget should be considerably larger than what it has been over the last 20, 30 years, do you really expect the current administration (Bush and Co.) to listen to public outcry, given their dismal track record in not doing so? They want war. Not science.

Personally, I have more hope right now in the private sector endeavors related to space exploration, even if they are vestigal at the moment. As much as I hate to say it, if the current pace holds, I wouldn't be surprised if NASA crumbles into obsolescence within the next twenty years sad  

Endrael

Codger

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:42 am
Endrael
As much as I agree that NASA's budget should be considerably larger than what it has been over the last 20, 30 years, do you really expect the current administration (Bush and Co.) to listen to public outcry, given their dismal track record in not doing so? They want war. Not science.

Personally, I have more hope right now in the private sector endeavors related to space exploration, even if they are vestigal at the moment. As much as I hate to say it, if the current pace holds, I wouldn't be surprised if NASA crumbles into obsolescence within the next twenty years sad

Yea. I know what you mean. Even though I wish NASA would put more money into missions instead of just going to the moon, I know they're not going to listen to the public about it. And same, I wouldn't be too surprised either if NASA "crumbles into obsolescence". People and governments just don't seem to care about space anymore. sad  
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:17 pm
AstronomyGirl
Endrael

Yea. I know what you mean. Even though I wish NASA would put more money into missions instead of just going to the moon, I know they're not going to listen to the public about it. And same, I wouldn't be too surprised either if NASA "crumbles into obsolescence". People and governments just don't seem to care about space anymore. sad

I wouldn't say it's the people who are uninterested. Most of the people I know love learning things about astronomy, even those who aren't big space buffs. The problem is that governments and the corporations that control them aren't interested in space because it's not profitable. Unless you count the bogglingly illogical, incompetent, wasteful, dangerous, and poisonous Star Wars programs evil  

Endrael

Codger

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:14 pm
Endrael

I wouldn't say it's the people who are uninterested. Most of the people I know love learning things about astronomy, even those who aren't big space buffs. The problem is that governments and the corporations that control them aren't interested in space because it's not profitable. Unless you count the bogglingly illogical, incompetent, wasteful, dangerous, and poisonous Star Wars programs evil

ah. yea.. true. Guess I shouldn't have said that nobody is interested in space anymore.
Ah.. this is starting to remind me of this course I took this past year. Called space exploration. This was one of the isses we touched on, though not that much. It's all about profit. If only there was some way to make space profitable then there wouldn't be a problem like this.  
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:48 pm
AstronomyGirl
Endrael

ah. yea.. true. Guess I shouldn't have said that nobody is interested in space anymore.
Ah.. this is starting to remind me of this course I took this past year. Called space exploration. This was one of the isses we touched on, though not that much. It's all about profit. If only there was some way to make space profitable then there wouldn't be a problem like this.

If it becomes economically feasible to mine the moon within our lifetimes, I think we'll see a major jump in a very short time for space sciences and such. Right now, space tourism (go up for a few minutes and then come back down) is about all we have *sigh*  

Endrael

Codger

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:50 am
Endrael

If it becomes economically feasible to mine the moon within our lifetimes, I think we'll see a major jump in a very short time for space sciences and such. Right now, space tourism (go up for a few minutes and then come back down) is about all we have *sigh*

yea. And to bad space tourism is so expencive, other wise more people would want to go and would go and then there would be more money there, so more of a profit.  
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:39 pm
AstronomyGirl
Endrael

yea. And to bad space tourism is so expencive, other wise more people would want to go and would go and then there would be more money there, so more of a profit.

Yeh, but it was the same way with cars when they first became available. Only the richest people could afford them, and it wasn't until they started to be mass produced that they became affordable. Same with televisions and computers.  

Endrael

Codger

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:37 pm
Endrael
Yeh, but it was the same way with cars when they first became available. Only the richest people could afford them, and it wasn't until they started to be mass produced that they became affordable. Same with televisions and computers.

ah. yea true. But then that was also cause technology advanced so that it became able to mass produce things like that and keep the price low and make a profit. If space is going to follow that same pattern we need to find some cheap way to get into space and do something in space so that it can be mass produced. But then, with that thought, do we really want space technology to be mass produced. Such so that just anyone could go up into space when they felt like it?  
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:52 pm
AstronomyGirl
Endrael

ah. yea true. But then that was also cause technology advanced so that it became able to mass produce things like that and keep the price low and make a profit. If space is going to follow that same pattern we need to find some cheap way to get into space and do something in space so that it can be mass produced.

Easy enough. Just consider the technological gadgetry we could produce if we were working in a weightless environment. Nevermind the experimentation we could engage in to discover new methods of data storage and transmission, or energy production, or new materials. Simply being able to work in space on a large scale has massive potential.

Quote:
But then, with that thought, do we really want space technology to be mass produced. Such so that just anyone could go up into space when they felt like it?

In a way, from a political perspective, it would very likely put an end to a lot of the global domination insanity, if anyone who felt like it could get into orbit with a handful of choice weapons and wipe out massive areas of land or huge amounts of machinery.

From a safety perspective, though, it's not such a great idea, given current standards. We would need extremely stringent construction guidelines for pretty much everything just to prevent an excessive buildup of debris. Space programs are so limited right now even after over fifty years of development, that it isn't that much of a problem, but it's better to start working on safety regulations now instead of when it is a major problem.

Shortly after Space Ship One won the X Prize a few years ago, actually, the government started working on laws (or something to that effect) to serve as a spring board for exactly that. I don't know if any of it was actually passed or anything, since it was a pretty minor blip on the media's radar, but it's at least a start.  

Endrael

Codger

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:48 pm
Endrael
Quote:
But then, with that thought, do we really want space technology to be mass produced. Such so that just anyone could go up into space when they felt like it?

In a way, from a political perspective, it would very likely put an end to a lot of the global domination insanity, if anyone who felt like it could get into orbit with a handful of choice weapons and wipe out massive areas of land or huge amounts of machinery.

From a safety perspective, though, it's not such a great idea, given current standards. We would need extremely stringent construction guidelines for pretty much everything just to prevent an excessive buildup of debris. Space programs are so limited right now even after over fifty years of development, that it isn't that much of a problem, but it's better to start working on safety regulations now instead of when it is a major problem.

Shortly after Space Ship One won the X Prize a few years ago, actually, the government started working on laws (or something to that effect) to serve as a spring board for exactly that. I don't know if any of it was actually passed or anything, since it was a pretty minor blip on the media's radar, but it's at least a start.

Yea, being able to get up to space more often would greatly benefit our research and such like that.

Yea what I was refering to when I said that was more of the safety issue. and like you said I've heard abit about the same thing you have, how the US gov'n has been working on laws for space and sych. I haven't heard if they've passed anything either.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:08 pm
Thinking about all the earth based industries that have benefited from space exploration - medicine, materials science, and computers, just to name a few - it's hard to believe that people don't believe space exploration is profitable. Having the goal leads to the new technologies that must be developed to achieve them. By dumping the space program, it seems like there's a chance that the US could fall technologically behind the other countries that are developing their own. Of course... it all might go commercial, but to me that would be sad. I hope the ideals associated with space and astronomy can remain.  

Mecill

Corvius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:58 am
Endrael
AstronomyGirl
Endrael

"Uh, the Star Wars series and all their other things is what GOT many people interested in Space and 'The Great Beyong'. I only wanted to be a Construction Worker, but my fascination with Star Wars got me studying what's out there and now, I want to be a NASA Engineer. Plus, most people in my school that study space and stuff, got that way BECAUSE OF watching Star Wars programs and other things of those types. Also, many Star Wars Technologies that are in the series, are plasuible and have been created or can be created. So uh, I don't see where you get that Star Wars programs are any of what you just said. Plus, its fiction, like almost every movie made besides History, Geographical, and Biographies...

I heart Star Wars ( mrgreen )...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:00 am
AstronomyGirl
SOS - Save Our Science!

"NASA's acclaimed Science Program -- the heart and soul of the U.S. space agency -- is in danger!
In spite of its great promises of a "Vision for Space Exploration", the U.S. administration has submitted a shameful 5-year budget that will devastate NASA's science efforts. It slashes over $3 billion from crucial science programs in favor of paying for unplanned and unbudgeted new costs for an expensive Space Shuttle program that is scheduled to be phased out by 2010.

If this disastrous budget stands, NASA will have no "Vision" at all. As one former NASA official put it, "Exploration without Science is just tourism"...and that is exactly what this budget promises.

Space exploration is a worldwide enterprise, and NASA's program serves all Earth's people. These catastrophic cuts will rob the entire world of unique chances to explore our solar system.

Right now, we have a simple choice: we can wring our hands while NASA's most daring and productive efforts are strangled�or we can fight! We can stop the U.S. administration from decimating Science and virtually destroying one of the world's premiere exploration programs for at least a decade -- and perhaps for our lifetimes. "

Click on this link to go to the website to find out more info and what you can do to help.
SOS: Save Our Science!
With China on the rise the possibility that a increase in funding is possible and to renew interest in space to the public is gaining favor. Just it takes time.  

UF6

72: Science & Astronomy Hangout

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff