Nantale wasn't used to hunting. Her time in the Nchi had been one of supervision and leadership and that had taken up all her time. She knew how to hunt, of course - she'd be a pretty sorry lion if she didn't - but not having done it in years certainly made her skills rusty. Still, it was her duty to do so now that she and Ndoto had set off from their former pride, especially since her long-time mate had hurt his paw the other day after stepping on a thorny bush. Normally they hunted together but today she had assured him she could find something on her own.

So far she wasn't doing too bad. She had stalked a herd of antelope for a while now, taking her time to find a sick or elderly target. There was one male with a broken horn that seemed to be limping, perhaps fresh off a fight himself that seemed to be a good target. Now it was just a matter of biding her time and being patient.

Not far off in the grass, downwind from where Nantale was talking, Vodnitvar was also crouched in wait. He could smell the strange lioness on the breeze but she seemed to be the only other lion in the area. He was hesitant to approach her for fear of startling her and either starting a fight or scaring off the herd, but he didn't want to go unnoticed by her either. Ugomvi was elsewhere trying her luck on a different herd as they traveled together and he had full trust in his mate that she'd be successful, but he wanted just a bit of insurance. His hind leg had been bothering him more and more as he aged and he wanted to at least be of some help before they found a place to settle down.

Deciding it would be best to let the lioness know of his presence, Vodnitvar made his way towards the spot where the scent was coming from. They were far enough away from the herd that he could afford to be a little loud, stepping on twigs and knocking rocks with his paws. Hopefully his noisy approach would be enough.

Nantale heard the stranger approaching and tried not to be too alarmed. She was alone, she hadn't had to fight anyone ever, and judging by the way the lion was walking it was definitely male. She held her breath, hoping he'd pass her by, but a few moments later a blue head pushed its way through the tall grass. Vodnitvar remained quiet as he gazed at the dark brown female and lowered his head, ears back against his mane to indicate he wasn't a threat.

"Sorry," he murmured, his gruff voice low so as not to alert the antelope. "I could smell you stalking the herd and didn't want to startle you. Are you alone?"

Nantale wasn't sure what to make of the lion. He didn't seem aggressive but he was asking if she was alone? Remaining silent, she didn't move aside from her eyes darting back to the herd from time to time to make sure they were none the wiser to the meeting of predators.

When he got no verbal reply Vodnitvar gave a little huff. "Look, I'm not trying to steal your kill. I was hoping we could work together. I'm on my own as well and my legs aren't what they used to be. My mate and I are journeying to a new home and she's off trying to get food as well, but if she fails I'd like to have something to welcome her home with."

Somehow the male sharing his story made Nantale relax. There was honesty in his eyes and his posture didn't speak of treachery. While she hadn't been hunting or fighting her whole life she had been playing the political game and she was pretty good at reading others. Relaxing very slightly, Nantale nodded at the offer.

"There's an injured male, his left antler is broken and he's limping. He's hanging to the left of the herd," she said quietly, directing the male's attention towards the target. Vodnitvar peered through the tall grass and nodded slightly once he spotted him.

"Good. That makes things easier. If I chase him towards you will you be able to make the kill?"

Nantale opened her mouth and closed it. She knew she could, but would she be able to? Could she hold on, drag the antelope down without losing her grip?

"I will try."

Vodnitvar tilted his head slightly and took in the female. She wasn't particularly muscled and the slight look of worry on her face told him that she wasn't used to hunting, whether alone or at all remained uncertain. But if she were out here on her own she'd have to learn at some point.

"Good. That's all we can do. I'm Vodnitvar, by the way," he added, realizing they hadn't exchanged names. Nantale nodded and cleared her throat slightly, wishing Ndoto was here to talk to Vodnitvar. Her mate was far more social than she was.

"Nantale."

"A pleasure to meet you, Nantale. Let's do this." Vodnitvar checked the wind once more before stalking off through the grass, leaving Nantale alone. She remained crouched where she was until a few minutes later the ground began to tremble beneath her paws. Lifting her head high enough to see, Nantale watched as the antelope scattered, bounding off to safety as a blue streak chased down the much slower male. She waited until what she thought was the best moment, leaping at the antelope as it passed by. She missed his neck but her weight was enough to throw him off his feet and she was upon him after that vital mistake.

A few minutes later Vodnitvar made his return, out of breath and limping just a bit as well. By that time Nantale had already made the kill and was catching her breath as well, adrenaline still pumping through her system.

"Well done," Vodnitvar said as he approached their prize. "I knew you had it in you."

"Thanks," Nantale mumbled, not at all pleased with how sloppy she'd been though she was proud that she'd managed to correct her mistake. They sat together for a while in silence, eating their fill before gathering up some for their respective mates. The two parted ways with a quiet farewell, leaving the remains of the carcass for a scavenger or a fellow predator down on their luck. Nantale wasn't sure she'd ever see her blue hunting friend again, but she quietly wished him health and success wherever he went. Vodnitvar did likewise, though his quiet prayer was to bolster Nantale's confidence in her hunting skills. She wasn't bad - she just needed practice.

FIN
WC: 1137