Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:10 pm
User Image

In the Mwezi'Johari, the night of the new moon was considered unlucky and dangerous. Most lions would keep close to home and some would pray for the Great Lion's swift return but for a few members of the pride, it was just another day as usual. While the others worried about the god who watched over them, Ubani took advantage of the opportunity to keep to himself. While nobody really talked about the alleged cursed cubs anymore, at the end of the day they were still slaves.

He couldn't sneak very far away on his own but he didn't really need to. It wasn't that hard to hide in plain sight, slave or not. There were just so many lions around that unless you were doing something strange or someone was looking for you, you could blend into the night. So Ubani found himself a nice quiet spot not far off the usual paths and settled in under the moonless sky to relax under the stars without worry a god who didn't care about him might be watching.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:57 pm
User Image

Umdumo saw his brother slipping off unseen from all the eyes that danced around them. Their teal was a tad unique for the pride, but it was hard to see much of a difference in dark tones when there was very little light to see. The stars offered as best they could, but even that did not really assist much in seeing the world around them when the Great Lion's eyes was shut tight.

He tried to be quiet enough that others wouldn't hear him, but he did try to somewhat alert his brother that he was following him. It didn't quite seem to work, however. With an inward sigh, Umdumo scrapped a bit of brush as he drew closer to Ubani before clearing his throat.

"Hey," he said quietly, feeling a bit dumb even as he settled himself next to his mirrored self.  

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:01 am
Caught completely off guard by his accidentally sneaky brother, the sound of the brush made Ubani cringe-- but the voice made him relax again. He looked over to see his twin settling in beside him and he grinned. If there was any company he would welcome now, it was Umdumo. Knowing where Umdumo was helped reassure Ubani his brother wasn't being mistaken for him anywhere out there at the moment now, too.

"Nice night," he said, "The stars are out."

And the moon isn't.

But he didn't say that out loud.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:50 am
The stars. Umdumo found more comfort in the stars than in the moon. He never worried about the nights when the Great Lion's eye was closed; what worse luck could come to him and his siblings? Their mother worried, but she never made too big of a deal about her children being slaves. In some sense, they were the most safe, with so many others looking out for them.

"They're always out," he replied, not worried about how his twin would interpret that line. "Which is rather comforting."

He let the silence grow for just a moment before speaking again. "So...I know we see each other a lot, but you doing ok? Or just needed some space to think by yourself?" It was very hard to be alone when you were of the low class.  

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:55 am
They're always out.

Ubani smiled and looked back up at the sky thoughtfully. He had many complicated feelings about his life, his pride, his ancestors, his god.. and so many of them could not be spoken out loud. Lucky for him, he didn't think it would help to say much of it out loud anyway.

"I'm just taking advantage of not being needed for a night," he answered, looking back down from the stars to his brother, "How about you?"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:42 am
Umdumo laughed. "That's a good point. Everyone else seems more worried about themselves tonight than us." He enjoyed the more quiet nights like this. Sure, if one looked, they could find a high class lion needlessly fretting like their world would cave in without the Great Lion watching over them, but he knew better. Everyone needed to sleep at some point, even their god.

"Mother seems ok, just tired. I figured I would leave her alone for a little while to enjoy the quiet night. I saw what looked like my mirror slipping off so I decided to follow. Not much else," he said with a smile, though he was sure it was masked a bit by the darkness.

It seemed like there was much on Ubani's mind, but Umdumo didn't quite know how to pry it out of him, so he would just wait and see where the conversation lead.  

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:59 am
Ubani chuckled at Umdumo vocalizing what they were both thinking but it quieted quickly at the mention of their mother. It was hard to be so critical of the higher society when your mother was among them, and she was the sweetest lioness who deserved the world.. and she got stuck with them. There was no doubt she loved them but there was no doubt she worried about them, too. More than a mother should have to.

"Well, I'm not up to much laying out here," he said, "Sorry to disappoint."

There was quiet for a few minutes and finally, Ubani spit out something he had been wondering for a while.

"Do you suppose there's really ever a chance the moon wouldn't come back?" he asked, "They say we were born in a time when it disappeared but it's been the most obnoxiously reliable thing for our entire lives. Were they always this worried about it, or is it just because it happened to us..?"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:10 am
"Hmmmm...."

Ubani asked a question that Umdumo had never considered. They were born under a curse, at least some of the more bold lions would whisper at their backs. They were not the only litter to be born when the moon had disappeared, which eased the feeling of a 'curse' to something shared. Still, it was easy to allow the unnerved worries of higher-born lions to p***k at your heart until it was hollow.

"That's true, it is very reliable. I'm sure some of the older, more nervous lions are convinced it will disappear again. Who's to say that it wouldn't?"  

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:15 am
"Who indeed," Ubani wondered, looking back up at the stars. Had the stars disappeared with the moon, leaving them entirely alone in the world.. or had the stars stayed here? Were their ancestors still watching over them when their god was kept away?

"In all the stories about it," he said, "Have you ever heard a reason why?"

Maybe that was why so many of them couldn't let go of what had happened. But that assumed this wasn't the natural state of the Mwezi'Johari and considering how much weight some gave their spiritual status, it well could be.

"Why did the moon disappear?"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:30 am
"No, I haven't heard as to why. Does anyone even know? If the Shaman hasn't shared a reason as to why, maybe it is even elusive to her." The fear of the unknown could certainly drive others to this unnerved state whenever the moon was dark.

"I wonder if they think it was due to anger. Sometimes disappointment in us could be even more frightening than anger. But we weren't really around to know. What do you think?"  

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:37 am
Hmmmm.

"If the Great Lion has always protected the Mwezi'Johari, I don't see why He would have abandoned them," he said, his voice quieter now as they discussed some rather sensitive topics. They weren't in the open but they weren't really well hidden or obscured.

"He came back, maybe it wasn't His choice to leave," Ubani said, "Maybe that's not reassuring to anybody, but if there's no reason anybody has come up with since then, nothing anybody has found to blame.. maybe it wasn't us. Maybe it's just something that happened and we shouldn't worry. The moon always comes back."

Was this blasphemy? He wasn't sure it was, he didn't mean it to be exactly.. if anything, this kind of thought made him like the Great Lion more. Maybe His judgement wasn't as harsh as the pride thought, maybe He would always watch over them as He was able.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:17 am
Always protected. There was truth to that. This was an old pride, as far as he was concerned. Too many generations had passed under the watchful gaze of the moon, and so there was proof that he was always here. Even when the sun was high, the Great Lion still watched.

"You are right about that; the moon always comes back. Why should it be something to worry about when He is always here, watching us? I hope that as time continues to pass, they relax and not worry about things out of our control. Our belief in Him will always be stronger than the worries with no bearing."

Still, if it wasn't his choice to leave...what else was so powerful as to either force his temporary exit, or pull him away from those he was dedicated to protecting? A worrying thought indeed...  

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:29 am
"I hope so, too."

But what Umdumo suggested at the end left him wondering what he really believed. Ubani wasn't sure, if it came down to trying to verbalize it. It wasn't really his place to question the Great Lion and yet he did. It would be nice to be as sure as some of the others in the pride but when they were sure of the Great Lion, they became more uncertain of other things.. like how and why He disappeared.

Life was complicated.. but for tonight, they could pretend it wasn't.

"Let's not worry about it," he said, "Let's just enjoy the quiet tonight."

[IC] Mwezi'Johari Lands

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff