[PRP] bedside manners [ veikel + ky'ra

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:00 pm
Lately the weather had been cold, and by "lately" Veikel understood it to be the last few months. The season had changed and brought with it appropriate temperatures, which in turn brought along a far share of illnesses. Even the people who lived in the warmth of Western weren't immune to the sniffles, Veikel mused, and so he'd spent his last few days, or sevendays really, prepping up on medicines to fight off whatever ailed folks.

Also it was too cold to try and tend his gardens and so he'd resigned himself to staying indoors and pretending not to be despondent over the lack of sunshine.
Keeping busy was an excellent way to pass the time, not to mention a weird hobby of his, and so the journeyman healer decided to spend the day organizing the shelves full of herbs.

Again.  
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:09 pm

I don't understand why you have to know these things, Mine, Zultoloth's voice diffidently broke into Ky'ra thoughts.

Because a goldrider is expected to assist with healing dragons, she explained. Because dragons will calm down if you ask them to, and be soothed by your presence. And, not to put too fine a point on it, because it was useful. Ky'ra didn't feel 'expected' to do anything. As a Western goldrider, she was capable of being anything anyone else was. Granted, her dragon could never be in one of the prime fighting Wings and they'd have to confine themselves to the queen's wings, but beyond that there were few barriers.

That didn't make certain members of the Weyr like them any better. It seemed that some riders and their dragons had an especially jaundiced view of goldriders and their queens' ability to command. I'm not very good at calming anyone, though... came the soft, worried voice.

"You'll get better at that in time," Ky'ra said absently, not aware that she'd said the words aloud. There was a particular book in this room that she wanted to look over. Some things came easily when learning about dragonhealing, and some were just plain difficult. It wasn't her strongest forte, but there was nothing wrong with trying to improve.

houllow

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:28 pm
"Something I can do for you?" Veikel hadn't expected anyone to come into the catalog area, not this early in the day anyway. It was an honest surprise to see that the person involved was someone outside of the healers and it took the young man a moment or two to place her name and face. One of the goldriders....Kyrman? Krist?? Ah, he'd remember it eventually but for now he needed to see what was needed.

The jars he'd been re-labeling were set aside, as were the ink and quill he'd been holding in an alternating dance between hand and mouth. The woman didn't look injured or distressed so she likely didn't need any medicines or healing, but Veikel had long learned that not all injuries are visible. With Threadfall the way it was he couldn't assume so carelessly. "If you need to speak with the Masterhealer I'm afraid she'd out for the moment."

Mr Cheri

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:41 pm

Frankly surprised by the young man's question, Ky'ra quirked a brow. "I need to review a book on phosphorus poisoning," she said, crossing her arms. "Actually, I think it's just in a chapter... a catalog of dragon wounds." It was an old one, as for the longest time no one had thought that they'd ever need it again. A new copy of an old book, at any rate. "So, do you know where it is?" she asked.

She was trained in healing. She belonged in the infirmary as much as a healer did. So... why did she feel like he thought her out of place? We're supposed to know about this, but I'm not very good at it, Zultoloth put in apologetically. Embarrassed by her incompetence, the gold settled a little lower in her place outside.

houllow

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:51 pm
Veikel, if he'd caught on to the eyebrow quirk or tone of her voice, showed no sign of it as a warm smile pressed to his face. "Certainly, no problem." He was more than glad to do something that didn't involve too much work and it just so happened that he'd organized all the books the other day. He probably was too obsessive in how often he kept things to his own system, which was hardly a reason for surprise when the other healers chewed him out over where things got placed.

It wasn't really his fault they couldn't read his mind or understand his process. Maybe if they'd asked him or just didn't touch stuff there wouldn't be so many issues.

"Do you need just the one book, or are you here for a few others?" A few strides had him from where he sat to the bookshelf where the object in question resided. Veikel let his finger run over the spines as he scrolled through, pausing to tap against what it was he'd been looking for. "If you're brushing up poisoning I can imagine there's more you'd like to review?"

Why did he really feel like he should know her? Veikel wasn't supposed to be bad with faces, but lately it seemed like he just wasn't paying enough attention.

Mr Cheri

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:04 pm

The infirmary had definitely been reorganized since the last time she'd been there. Which, come to think of it, hadn't been all that long ago. Not that she cared too much. She just couldn't find the book she'd been looking for. "Probably more than the one book, but I figure I'll start with this one first. Last Fall Zultoloth and I were tasked to help a dragon who had bad phosphorus poisoning and my expertise wasn't what it should have been."

Try though she might, Ky'ra couldn't exactly be good at everything. Still, she hadn't cost anyone their life. It wasn't like she'd set out to become a goldrider. Zultoloth drooped a trifle more when it didn't seem like the healer had heard her, but perhaps she hadn't spoken up properly. Hush. It's fine. He doesn't need to have heard you. He was a healer, after all.

houllow

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:23 pm
In truth Veikel had....but hadn't heard the dragon. He hadn't quite thought she was talking to him and for a moment or two had even thought the voice was coming from the woman in front of him. It was his fault the golden child outside was drooping, even if he couldn't see and wasn't aware. Maybe there was a shiver on his spine though that let him know something was wrong. It was at the mention of a name that the dots clicked.

"Ahhhh. It's good you're doing this then if you feel your're not very good at it. Or is your dragon being modest?" That had to have been a dragon talking, right? He was starting to remember who she was and also starting to feel like maybe, just maybe, he was going to be getting chewed out by either his mother or Tristram later for his activities.

Shards.

"I should probably do some review myself on all these topics. I mostly specialize in herbs and salves but it's all hands on deck when things happen, right?" The book was removed and handed out towards the young woman, the smile still resting on his face. "Even someone like me can be useful."

Mr Cheri

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:32 pm

Ky'ra took the book from Veikel, scanning through it as she searched for the right page. Once she had done so, she pored over it, attention only half on the healer. "Zul is very shy... and very certain that she's not especially good at much. Probably doesn't help that she's young." Only a turn out of weyrlinghood, at that. She was only just now starting to show a more adult appearance than soft dragonet. Slow to grow even by gold standards. Some dragons tended to look young, it seemed.

"Everyone should learn a bit about everything," she remarked, glancing up briefly to meet the healer's eyes. "Just enough to be useful, I'd think. In our case we have to specialize in dragon injuries. We'll be needed in the next Fall, of that I have no doubt." It... it's not easy. Not when the gold didn't have the greatest confidence in herself.

houllow

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:13 pm
"I think it's good that everything's not easy. Humans and dragons can really shine when they overcome hard obstacles, or at least it's what I want to believe. No one can be perfect at stuff, it's why we're meant to learn." Veikel tapped another book and pulled it out, flipping it open a few pages. "And I agree that basic first aid is more of a necessity than a luxury. What the candidates learn and what the weyrlings learn is a good start but it wouldn't hurt to add to it."

Literally having all hands on deck couldn't hurt if there was a particularly bad Threadfall, but it could also end with a lot of people being underfoot. If minors things could be handled with just a glance while someone else did it, just how much more could he and the other healers proper do? That could also cause more problems though if someone thought they could do something beyond their knowledge, and Veikel felt his eyebrows crease as way, way too many thoughts rushed in mind.

Maybe he should make booklets to give out to the kids who wanted to learn more? This lady here was a goldrider who wanted to do review, so maybe preparing some easy to read pamphlets would help out the other goldriders? He wouldn't be able to do it while on duty, but maybe if he skipped over some meals and only slept a little it could be done. Such a thing would help out so many people and make work easier for his mom and the others, right?

He probably was muttering beneath his breath, all the while looking over page after page. "Okay yes, I do think that would work. It's a wonderful idea."

Veikel had not mentioned anything out loud.

Mr Cheri

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:56 pm

A single brow raised at Veikel's comment, Ky'ra did not look up from her book. "You'll forgive me if I mistook you, but goldriders do not receive 'basic first aid'. For a long time it was riders like me with golds like mine who were the only healers at Weyrs." That that had changed was certainly a good thing. "My queen has an advantage above a healer when it comes to dragons, as she is capable of using her will to soothe and take away another dragon's fears and pain. Granted, she's not an expert yet, but she's still young." Some of the more experienced queens were capable of all but convincing dragons that they weren't in pain to begin with.

"As useful as basic first aid is, I really need to know more than that." Not the usual ailments, the stuff that a healer could reasonably be expected to tackle. When it came to patching up threadfighters, goldriders had always taken the lead. Intentionally settling her ruffled feathers, Ky'ra shook her head. "I'm sorry. I took that too personally. I'm just used to having people assume that me and mine aren't terribly useful for much beyond looking nice. You probably didn't mean it the way it sounded." ... And whatever he was going on about, it certainly couldn't be that.

houllow

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:33 pm
What....exactly was she going on about? This time it was one of Veikel's eyebrows that raised up as he listened to her little speech, though both quickly came down as his brow creased in thought. "Ah." The dots connected far swifter this time and he raised both of his hands up, though one still held a book. "No no, it was my tone that caused the misunderstanding so please, let me apologize." The healer lowered down his arms and then bowed a bit. "In no way was I attempting to speak as though I were looking down on you and your dragon, and I sincerely apologize if my words or actions have lead you to believe so." The end of his apology concluded with him raising his head back up, though he didn't have a smile like usual. It was important that she understood his intentions, and a smile could be taken as insulting if that was how he ended the statement.

"I will openly admit I'm not familiar with what specific training a goldrider and her dragon go through, as it's not my area of expertise and I have never been asked to assist or instruct a pair." It was better to confess to one's shortcomings than to pretend knowledge, at least that's what Veikel always believed. "What I had been thinking was trying to help candidates and weyrlings expand further than what most people seem to think is enough. If you're expected to know everything and be depended on for so much, why not have the others around help in that regard? We're all more than capable."

There would be so much less trouble and suffering if everyone were able to do more, or so he'd always thought. He...he could give more too, work harder. His work as of late wasn't up to the standards he'd wanted after all, and the excuses he might have given over worrying over his sister and her dragon were nothing more than that - excuses. Veikel could easily improve if he cut out on other things. Hadn't he just been thinking on this? Whatever.

Hopefully his words had gotten across the woman and her dragon, and showed that he'd meant no ill-will in anything. If they hadn't he would apologize as many times as needed, if only because Veikel wasn't a fan of misunderstandings. "Anyway, you mentioned you might need more books? Which ones in particular? I've....moved a few things around and should probably put them back where they were before the others say something."

Mr Cheri

[IC RP] Western Weyr

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff