Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:09 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Shaking off some excess water from her hind legs, Shaalt tucked away her fish she had succeeded in catching into a poorly made basket. The food would be good tonight, and if she was careful enough, she could pass on the thin bones to her siblings for their work.

The issue was that while her siblings and mother always smelled like the warm, earthy scent of leather, mud, and sweat, Shaalt smelled like wet lion and fish. But there was something about it that had called to her, and even if she wasn't as appreciated for her work as she wanted to be, it was still fulfilling to her.

Just as long as she didn't bring the fishy smell home. Easier said than done.

As she walked along the path towards home, her basket being dragged behind her, she paused near a tree to rub some of the itches out of her fur. She was also dragging her paws along the half-alive grass, hoping that the fishy smell would be replaced by earth, tree, mud...anything but fish. Heaven forbid her mother make another look of irritation at her for smelling up her workshop again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:28 pm
User Image

The day was dying and Sassa had nothing to show for it. It was hard to compete with the experience of her mother and the inspiration of her brother, especially on the days when she tried to find something to spark interest in a new project.. the market was a bust, the farmers hadn't taken kindly to her poking around and that really only left one option.

She was looking for her sister when she spotted her rubbing against a tree on the path to the water. Another disappointment, not getting all the way to the shore, but there was still hope that this was not another dead-end. Even as a worst case scenario, Shaalt was always pleasant to chat with.

"Already done, are you, Shaalt?" she asked.  

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:44 pm
A couple more rubs, and at least Shaalt was feeling less itchy and slightly more....clean? Perhaps she would worry about cleaning up more before dinner, but at least she was a bit more presentable than she had been while working.

"Sassa!" the black lioness beamed, her blue eyes disappearing with her overly large smile. She pulled up her basket, ignoring the fact that a small tear was slowly growing larger with every yank. "I am, I got a few good fish today...one is pretty big, I think the bones will be worth salvaging for the family work."

She wanted to yank out said large fish to show Sassa but....thought better of it. With a careful few nudges, she did her best to shove back in the ripping edge of the basket and sat down near, but not too close, to her sister.

"How did you fare today?" she asked, hoping to exchange pleasant company.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:57 pm
Sassa smiled right back at her sister.

"Oh?"

She leaned over to look around at Shaalt's basket, watching her carefully try to manage the growing tear in it. She couldn't help but sigh quietly at the sight of it, that was the kind of thing she should have been looking for today while feeling creatively stumped. Something useful was better than nothing at all, sometimes it was better than the art for art's sake.

"I've wasted my day looking for something to inspire me," she confessed, then added with a sheepish smile, "Don't tell Sui."  

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:14 pm
"Oh, I won't tell Mother," Shaalt began. "Besides, it isn't like she's very proud of me being a Fiskr, even if she'll take the fish bones I offer her." She nudged again at the basket, thinking better on her previous decision and reached into the basket to pull out her largest fish of the day. It was one of the larger ones she had caught in the last couple months, and she was clearly rather proud of it.

"I'm convinced the bones will be thick and strong....do you want them before I offer them to the rest of the family?" Shaalt had no qualms about offering the best of her wares to whomever in her family needed them most. Her mother was skilled enough in her work, she probably didn't need materials as much as Shaalt's siblings did.

"If it may be inspiring enough, anyway. And besides, fish for dinner?"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:30 pm
"Wow!" Sassa exclaimed at the fish.

Shaalt was right, their mother wasn't especially supportive of the Fiskr in the family but Sassa was a much more enthusiastic type. Sui and Skald were proper craftsmen, Sassa was more aptly called a hobbyist. Still.. she would only get away with such an unproductive day once in a while.

"I'd love that," she said brightly, "I haven't had any good fish bones to work with in a while. How about.."

She eyed the basket before looking back to her sister.

"In exchange for your bones, I'll fix up that basket for you."  

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:41 pm
"Oooh...." That thought hadn't crossed her mind. Her bright blue eyes glanced down towards her basket, knowing that there was something of a tear in it, but it still worked. None of her fish had fallen out, even if they were peeking out of the tear a bit more than they should be...

"That sounds like a fair trade. I'll clean this fish the best way possible so you'll have the best bones to work with!" Granted, she would have to do it a bit away from home; sure, they had a place to work if they needed to cut their own skins, but fish still had its very distinct smell.

"And I can offer the rest of the fish to the family. That way they won't feel like they're missing out, and we don't have to eat gazelle meat again, like they seem to want to every night." Shaalt didn't mind variety, but at least fish had a different taste than the red meat of herd beasts.

"I just wanna see what you make with it before it goes to market," she added on belatedly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:52 pm
Making a deal, even a friendly trade with her sister, had a way of turning her mood around. Offering to fix up the torn basket wasn't entirely selfless, either. It would give her something to do while she thought about what to do with the bones, and hopefully she wouldn't end up as stumped as she had started. Diving right in wouldn't necessarily make her job any easier and wasting such fine, tricky materials would be criminal.

"Deal," she agreed, "Shall I keep you company on the way home, or are you stopping somewhere on the way?"

Sassa couldn't imagine a long trip dragging a basket behind you, but she also wasn't a Fiskr or a mind-reader so she couldn't know for sure.  

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:22 pm
Shaalt was known to drag her basket around to the market for the Farmadr to pick what may be worth selling off, or to use to barter for other choice bits of prey to bring back home to her skinnr family. But today, she just wanted to get home and rest. Celebrate the family over food, exchange stories of hard work, and sleep well. Working life wasn't easy, but she found it richly rewarding.

"I would love to return home with you by my side," Shaalt nodded, carefully placing her treasured large fish in the basket, trying to yank the still-wet rope higher over her shoulder so the basket wouldn't drag so much. "I am famished, and I think a meal would help inspire you. Nothing better than family and food to get you going." She didn't have the same expectations on her shoulders as Sassa did, more like none since she snugged her mother's trade for one that another house did better with, but...she could still sympathize, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:24 am
"That does sound nice," Sassa agreed, watching as Shaalt got herself ready to move along again and turning herself around to head back in the direction she had been coming from. It wouldn't hide the fact she hadn't done much that day and nobody would mistake her sister's hard work for anything Sassa helped with, but it certainly felt better accompanying someone who accomplished something when heading back to the house.

"And hopefully tomorrow will be a better day," she said, then pausing to realize how proud Shaalt was of the large fish, "Even better, for you."

Sui didn't appreciate the fish as much but the rest of the house was happy. And Shaalt was right, having fish for dinner would make for a nice change after too much from the farms lately.  

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

[IC] Skiringssal Lands

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas