Hadaya watched the young leopardess carefully, sitting with her in a soft, shady grass patch. It had taken so long to get her to sit up and start talking, he did not want to do anything to scare her back into her curled ball. She was actually a very kind little soul, and Hadaya saw a lot of himself when he was a cub in her. He had been a very awkward kiddo, after all, but beyond that he had been sad because of being alone and having powers he did not understand. While she did not have visions, she did seem to have a troubled past she was not too keen on talking about.

And he was not too keen on making her: he wanted her to feel comfortable and safe.

“I’m sorry if those two scared you. They’re not from this area, as far as I know. They were passing by and said they found you, but you wouldn’t speak to them? To be honest, if I were you, I wouldn’t have either! But they seem like they’re alright. I sent them out to get you some food, if that’s alright. I’m not sure if you’ve eaten recently.”

When the other side of the conversation failed to speak, Hadaya had a bad habit of filling the silence with babble. It made the situation no less awkward, but at least he felt like he was making some sort of connection. Maybe? She was watching him carefully now, looking him over curiously, though he could not tell what she was thinking about him so far. Hopefully she did not think he was scary, or suddenly decide he was and run off without warning.

She opened her mouth to say something, but shut it again quickly when she heard a loud, cheerful voice approaching. Hadaya sighed, turning his head to see Rangi and Ngome heading back toward them. Rangi was enthusiastically engaged in a retelling of the hunt that just transpired while Ngome, looking tired in more ways than one, was dragging an antelope with him and mostly ignoring his friend patiently. He came up slowly to Hadaya and Ume, nodding his head carefully in greeting before letting go of the meal and looking at Hadaya for guidance. Ngome was good at following instructions, and since Hadaya was the one from this land, he looked to the older lion as their host.

Hadaya cleared his throat.

“Er, thanks. Little one… uhm, I’m sorry, I don’t know your name yet, would you like some food? You looked like you might be a little hungry.”

Ume looked at the dead beast, then at Ngome. He was quiet and passive, watching her with a gentle expression despite the frown. Rangi was grinning ear to ear, looking at her as if she were a flower or a tree, trying to memorize her every splotch and spot. To him, her fur was like a piece of art, though she had always been told she was stained and ugly because of it. Naturally, she thought he was looking at her in surprise at how weird and ugly her pelt was, and she felt apologetic but too shy to say anything. If she were prettier, it would be easier for others to look at her without feeling disgusted… at least, that was what she was always told.

Hadaya looked at Rangi when he opened his mouth to say something, shooting him a warning glare that made the free spirited lion pause for only half a second before he plunged forward without editing.

“ah, it’s very good to see you uncurled, little lady!” Rangi said eagerly, “I thought we might have given you too bad a fright, and would never get a proper look at your beautiful fur! What orange! And that black! You are one of the most beautiful leopards I have ever seen, I have to say! I’m sorry if that’s a little forward. I’m sure you’re already quite popular with the males…?”

“Rangi,” Ngome said blandly, but with a strong enough huff to make his irritation clear. Rangi completely ignored him, arching his eyebrows upward at Ume expectantly.

“I… I know a male,” Ume said, confused. Did that make her popular with him? She did adore him, and wanted nothing more than to be near him again, but she was not sure that was exactly what this lion meant. He talked in circles, but he made her feel strangely happy, if not extremely embarrassed. Compliments were very confusing, at the best of times, let alone when being used to try to win her favor. “I’m trying to find him. His name is Baik… I wandered away from him. I… I’m sorry to be so much trouble.”

“No trouble at all,” Hadaya butted in, moving to sit where Rangi was standing and hip checking the smaller lion out of the way. Finally getting the hint, both from the hit and from Ume admitting she had a mate of some kind, Rangi heaved the heaviest sigh he was capable of and retreated back to sit with Ngome.

“You should eat,” Ngome pointed out, waving his paw at the meal he had so painstakingly brought for her. It was his way of apologizing for scaring her and for Rangi’s behavior. The younger lion was nothing but a flirt and a fool, but Ngome liked to think of himself as a good wrangler for when Rangi got out of control. At least he backed off pretty quickly this time, apparently not interested in making a complete idiot out of the two of them right now.

Ume nodded her head sheepishly, but made no move toward the food. Hadaya watched her, then realized she was likely embarrassed about having so many eyes on her when she was hungry. He cleared his throat and turned around, looking at Rangi and Ngome, now facing them, pointedly. Rangi blinked, oblivious, but Ngome got the message and moved to echo Hadaya’s movements. He sat with his back to Ume, who smiled at their gesture of privacy, though she hesitated as she glanced at Rangi awkwardly. He watched her for a moment, smiling, then finally realized what he was meant to do and, bowing his head regally, turned to sit facing away from her as well.

She smiled, chuckling, and moved to have a little food.