To not guard the borders of their old lands was folly. Lifa knew the roguelands full of opportunists, of hunters, of predators, and the lioness didn't want to see the home she'd chosen to raise back falling to strange paws - paws that might desecrate sacred sites and ancient kami, and shogun or not, Lifa had to do her part as a royal princess regardless -- rebuild her homeland and protect it. Still...

Still, her adoptive father Lord Kaien never once taught her much. Doma was hale, and Hien-then Shun - had been primed for the role of King, a leader of Doma. She was given other lessons -- that to fight, to protect, which meshed nicely with her home before Doma. She knew Ushtiel would fret, but sometimes...

With so few numbers... Well, sometimes there needed to be sacrifice for greater good -- and she was already dreading the day she sought a god -- that day meant that Hien was considered dead, and to that extent, it meant Lifa had to have a loveless, or potentially loveless fling to bring the next ruler to Doma. It was a heavy burden she dreaded, and the shogun settled to a breather, sitting on a ledge offering protection from sight and a view of the roguelands to let herself think and watch, whern she was suddenly, and ceremoniously, pounced.

Hien had been away for far too long. Of this the son of Doma knew, the doman male plagued in worry of the fate of his homeland as he roamed, as he rest, and until now. Now was not time for worry, but hope, if the pale coat he'd seen stalking on patrol was a clue. And even now, the young adult was primed to make his presence known -- for if he were t5o one day guide his people, he was to be upfront, and so, using knowledge of the trails, he'd snuck up, and Lord Hien jumped on his adopted sister in a pounce, beaming boyishly ear to ear.

"You've grown careless, little sister." Hien chuckled. Lifa squirmed below her adopted sibling in surprise, eyes wide as she squeaked and tried rolling him off. The male laughed, moving after a moment, and Lifa huffed, taking in the distinct appearance of Hien. Her brother. Shun.

"You. Hien you brat!" Lifa wheezed. "You snuck up on me again!" Still... Still, Lifa was beaming, a wide, large smile that reached her ears. Hien was hale. Hien was whole. Hien... Was laughing at her mercilessly and Lifa swat her brother, still smiling. It was an infectious laugh, one to resist. Hard.

"I am sorry, Laif, but I'm not going to miss the opportunity to do that." Hien replied, and ?Life gently pushed him with her paw, still smiling as she sniffled.

"Lifa, you a**. I'm Lifa. My adult name." She smiled sadly, Hien lighting up a bit. "Then... You have come home for good." He finally whispered, and headbutt her, nuzzling the lioness in joy. Lifa nodded, nuzzling into the male closely.

"I am come home. I.. I couldn't find others of my pride. I know they lived but where... My birth-siblings are scattered to the four winds." Lifa sighed, and Hien leaned, one paw wrapping around his chosen sister protectively. Life was delicate, there. He recalled bringing the cub home as a cub himself, half-dead, sick, weak. His father and mother had quickly brought her into their den, knowing Hien, and only cub, was lonely-- and to see her so shy at fuirst his father coined her a little flower. Still, their delicate little flower spoke to their father one day at last -- of a pride ruled in pain and war. A pride that weakened itself with slavery, pain, and anguish. Lifa had been fortunate -- in a large litter of leaders, she resembled one of the boys enough seperating them was too dangerous. Her sister was far less welcomed, dropped into slavery's talons. It was when Lifa had tried to soothe her angry brother that she'd been hurt, and, fearing being subjected for weakness, she'd fled, still a cub. Still so small, and unprepared to hunt or survive.

It was the will of Jimmu and his Goddess-bride, surely, the girl be brought to Doma, them. To the pride that now loved her as their own. And knowing his sister -- the family's flower chose to be home and seek, likely, aid to find them... Hien smiled, purring.

"We will organize a search. As soon as I find Yugiri and ascern if she lives, we will send a search party." Hien affirmed. Lifa trembled against her brother, looking up to him.

"Hien..." Lifa began. The male smiled softly, and she sighed.

"...Broither. The plague -- I know you saw it. When I came... Doma was... Home was desolate." She sighed, swallowing. "I've been trying to find survivors. My retainer-- she and I are trying to bring Doma together. To bring in new bloodlines. I..."

"I know you must be trying, Lifa." Hien interrupted his sister, nosing her head fur softly. "It is not easy to repair the harm to Doma, but we will. And I will too."

Hien shut his eyes, sighing.

"Were you but here when Father lived. He prayed you would come home until he told me to go find you. To see what could be done. He hoped we might find your kin, to help save us." Hien then smiled fainrly. "Did Father recieve honors, at least?"

Lifa nodded, eyes closing.

"I saw to father's remains myself, brother." Lifa then looked to Hien, raising a paw to twist to look to him.

"Father passed among his people. He was seeing to them until his last, I think. One of the kojin returned telling how he sent the young after you, in the paws of the remaining retainers. I don't know where all are, but one returned."

Hien grined then, nodding.

"Well, then. This is good tidings. Some are better than none, and we're fortunate they've returned." Hien soothed, then his expression softened.

"And...It is good to know Father rests among the Kami now watching over us. I've no doubt he led you home. So." Hien puffed, winking to Lifa with a boyish grin, and winked. "You say you found a retainer then? But do they have skill?"

Lifa beamed, straightewning.

"I did. Her name is /Ushtiel. She's as loyal as any woman born into Doma, and as true as your own.": A twinkle in Lifa's eyes sparked. "She reminded me of a certain old samurai."

"Just so!" Hien bellowed into a laugh at the comment. "I shall need meet this fierce retainer, then. I need speak of plans with you and any I can as well." Hien then smiled faintly, nodding. "I may be capable of aiding the pride, and repay some debt my brief exile accrued. I trust while your kin are saught them you will seek to do what you can?" Hien's eyes twiunkled ever on, eyes mirthful as Lifa blinked.

"Aid? To and from others? Hien?"

Hien motioned.

"I did not escape the plague unscathed. Were it not for these outsiders, I would not be here. A leader cannot let such debts go unpaid. While our people languished, this band knows of cures and ways that may yet prevent a return of it. As I lay ill myself, this band tended my ill with their medicines, and for that, I have promised sanctuary in our home that they roam no more."

Lifa nodded, listening, before nodding.

"I won't try to question, but Iunderstand. If you mean to repay a debt, I will do all I can to aid them as well, brother."

To that, Hien shook his head.

"No, sister. Your eyes are clouded. Your duty is toyour blood, to bring them to Doma that they may know peace. Or.. Woiuld you defy Father's decree?"

Lifa sighed, then nodded.

"I understand, brother. If it was father's will, I will focus on them. But, brother, pray let me at least do as I can for Doma still. The people need to know the King is returned and hale and that I no longer serve as your shogun."

"A fate I am sorryyou nearly befell, siuster, but, one you will yet not need fall to again. I will see to that." And the lion leaned, nuzzling his sibling-by-choice gently.

"Now, sister. Show me. Show me what you have done for our home already, and from there we can work together to plan for the next steps." Hien bowed, and nosed her. "I've no doubt there will be no protest to Doma's king and her princess working together to bring the life back to our people."

Lifa nodded, nuzzling back before moving to guide the male home. sighing. A great burder was lifted, but a new one replaced it -- lighter, softer... Abd shared with the brother she loved most of the entire world. Behind, Hien trailed, the male paitient, and ever comforting.

Today, the kami were kind.