Quote:
Keoyi's days passed by with herb gathering, medicine making, tea brewing, and snack creating. Consuming raw meat was a stable. Munching on fruits and herbs freshly plucked off a stem was common. But Keoyi enjoyed cooking with fires that we sparked on a bundle of wood, crushing up dry leaves that she had left hanging for days to season whatever she held over the fire. Cooking was a past time. Her late mate enjoyed the flavors he encountered, had complimented her for the tastes and creativity. Tending to those who lived in the pride was her side job, in her opinion. Taking care of her children was her priority. And now, she only had one child within her house to take care of. Keoyi had become quite overbearing because of this.

Letting out a smile when she saw Mgbamizu, the pale lioness carried the knapsack to her son, a worn and tattered but decorative cloth that her late husband had given her. Insides were sweetened and slightly cooked meats and these sort of... pastries that usually took days to form due to the grinding of the reeds and slowly heating of being near the fire but not on it. Otherwise, they would have burned, as she learned from experience. They were slathered in berries that she had mixed and crushed, undoubtedly making a sticky mess out of the cloth and the contents inside.

Quote:
The lion had just come back from speaking with his brother in law. Mgbamizu enjoyed it when his mother cooked. Most lions enjoyed eating things raw, but there was something about a slightly charred piece of flesh that was just oh so tasty to enjoy. He watched his mother bring him the knapsack, smiling at the thought of the goodies that were in them.

"Mother," he greeted with a purr. "What have you made this time?" He questioned.

The brown lion looked a lot different than his mother. Where she was pale in color, he was darker. Not as dark as his sister's mate Obiike, but the difference was there to show that he had likely gotten his looks from his deceased father, eyes including. His hair though, came from his mother's side of the family. There was no mistaking those slightly green-tinged strands of hair.

"Akwa is doing well," he mentioned of his sister, who was now part of the Akaraaka's. He didn't tell her that is was Obiike who had mentioned the fact to him though.

Quote:
Keoyi smiled warmly at her son, moving forward to nuzzle before setting the sack to the side. "Your favoite. And something new I am trying," She told him, paw brushing at the sack to open it up. The smell of the slightly warmed foods wafted into the air. I have been attenmpting this new thing that involved grounded up reeds. They are usually good for your teeth, by themselves. And- Well, perhaps you should try one," And with that, she pressed one of the lumpy and dark tanned balls out. They were oddly formed, due to her paws. But inside were cashews and fish. She hoped the food wasn't too odd. She definitely knew she had her share of... failures.

Her ears perked up. "Akwa?" She repeated in an excited tone. "How is she? That Obiike isn't mistreating her, correct? Does she look too thin?" She fretted. Around most of the pride, she was serious and stoic. Some would describe her as distant and cold. With cubs, she was fond and motherly. But to no one but her children was she this openly affectionate, worried, and motherly.

Quote:
As the knapsack opened, the scent of the cooked foods drifted into the air. Mgbamizu took the moment to inhale, his taste buds already dancing, ready to intake the food. He reached for one of the balls. He didn't mind testing his mother's food. Some combinations would work, others...not so much. Mgbamizu was honest with his mother if something did not quite taste right. Scent and taste, he had quickly learned in the past, did not always coincide well with each other.

He popped the meat in his maw, crunching it between his pointed teeth. "Hmm.." there was a strange crunch to it mixed with the fish. It was definitely something lions were not use to eating. "Where do you come up with some of your ideas?" If he was half as creative as his mother, he would probably be a better of lion.

"Yeah...she's doing well..." His voice faulted. "Well... I didn't actually...speak with her. I saw Obiike...and well, he said she was doing well. He hasn't lied to us about her wellbeing before so she should be fine." Mgbamizu knew his mother's relationship with Obiike was...rocky to say the least. After all, he had taken her daughter away (although a quick walk to visit was always an option).

Quote:
Keoyi smiled brightly at her son, watching him eat with pleased eagerness. "Some of my ideas come from traders that visit and passed down secrets within my family. However... it takes a lot of trial and many errors, as you know," she pointed out with a grin. "I'll teach your daughters, once you have them," Keoyi assured, smiling affectionately. Sure, the idea of some lioness taking her son from her was appalling but... they would still be within her house. They wouldn't be wisked away to another house completely. She could still make treats for her son, check up on him without the long walk. It was nice to hear about her daughter but there were some days she couldn't see her.

Her smile dropped at her son continued talking. Obiike, hm? Eyes narrowing, back stiffening, she sniffed. She had multiple opinions on that lion and none good. "Did he now," she asked flatly, eyes unamused. "I don't trust him not to lie. I'll visit your sister tomorrow, bring her some snacks." A smile bloomed on her face again and she moved over to Mgbamizu, nudging his shoulder. He had grown taller than her, his daddy's height. "Are you done for the day?

Quote:
Mgbamizu shifted on his feet. Once you have daughters. his mother had said. With Akwa having found a mate already, he wasn't really actively looking for love. After all, he needed to make sure his family was taken care of first. With how life worked in the N'ezi-ozu, one needed to be very prepared for life to survive past cubhood. Since the plague, life became relatively stagnant.

Shaking his head from the thought, the brown male made a slight grimace. He didn't want to argue with his mother, but he had no reason to not trust Obiike's words.

"I can come with you, too." He offered. It had been a while since Mgbamizu had last seen his sister. He would love to catch up with her too.

The lion nodded. "I thought about walking near the borders later. To see if anyone was there." Mgbamizu was no guard, but he always liked heading near the borders to see if others actuallyexisted in this world other than those of the pride. Somedays he wondered if it was just them, the N'ezi, in the world. Surely other lions were out there? While he would never venture out of the lands, a quick glimpse to the rogue lands would not hurt anything. Right? He didn't know if his mother would approve of the idea. (He was an adult however, he'd likely still go without his mother's approving.)

Quote:
Keoyi gave her son an affectionate smile. He was such a dear; she didn't know how she had ever been so lucky to have not one but two wonderful and perfect children. His company may also help dissuade Obiike from interfering with a family visit. Slowly pushing the cloth to cover up the food once more, she listened to him speak, sadly reminded of her deceased mate's voice. It was bittersweet, to see her love live on within her children; she doubted she would ever find such a love again. Mating out of love was not as common and she had been fortunate in falling in love with the one she bonded with.

Suddenly, she went tense. He was going near the borders? Her eyes narrowed, fear seeping in. Rogues were dangerous. It was safer within the pride. But... he was an adult. She couldn't very well demand he stay home; she had to respect his pride and independence. So, she tried a different method. "I'm sure there's nothing but danger out there," she murmured, carefully keeping her eyes on putting the food away so that he wouldn't spot the true intentions behind her gaze. "I was hoping you could accompany me today, actually. We rarely have a full day together anymore," Keoyi pointed out. There was a trace of guilt lingering inside her at trying to manipulate her son's time. But she couldn't lose him. Her mate was gone, her daughter had been taken away, all she had left for herself was Mgbamizu. She was being selfish. She knew this. But she couldn't convince herself to leave him be.

Quote:
Danger? The word intrigued Mgbamizu, although he would never let his mother know that. He nodded, as if to agree with her, but his intentions would still be the same. He would just not voice them to her next time. He did not need her to worry. "Perhaps your right, Mother," Mgbamizu said in a whisper, keeping the meaning of his name true to his form.

"Oh?" His nose twitched. Well, there went /that/ plan. There was always tomorrow? "I...I think we could do that." He said after a moment, walking over to his mother and gently head-butting her shoulder. It was something the male had done so often growing up, that even as an adult he could not (or would not) break the habit. "Best get these to Akwa while they're fresh," Mgbamizu offered, taking his mind away from the border talk using this excuse with his mother.

Quote:
"Of course I am, my Mizu," she murmured, happy at his admittance. Perhaps now, he will avoid the danger. Perhaps he would listen to her for a bit longer, take her wisdom and live longer. She needed him to live longer.

She nuzzled him at her headbutting, smiling gently. "I'll be glad for the company," she announced happily, before nodding. "I suppose we should go so she can try these treats out," Keoyi agreed, easily distracted from thoughts of the borderland. She swept the knapsack of treats up into her mouth, holding onto them as she moved in the direction of where her daughter now lived. She paused for only a moment to allow her son to fall into step beside her.

Quote:
Mgbamizu could not argue with his mother even if he wanted to, so he dropped the subject, and returned the headbutt.

"Here, mom, I'll carry that," he offered, taking the knapsack from his Keoyi's maw. She had labored over preparing the meal, and although it was not the heaviest of burdens, he'd be happy to take the load off for his mother. Mgbamizu followed his mother, golden eyes occasionally shifting in the direction of the borders. He'd find out if there was anyone out there one of these days, but for now, a nice visit to his sister was in order.