Submit

DruidTigeress

Sparkly Genius

25,225 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:41 am
L'fer sat at an empty table in the Lower Caverns, pondering deeply over a glass of wine. He'd just finished his first Weyr-wide meeting since being appointed to wingleader. He had a wing full of riders he respected, a second he'd be proud to serve with any day, and he finally felt like he could make a real difference to the Weyr he loved. By all accounts, it was a cause for celebration. And it had been! That was the whole reason he was down here.. His friends had insisted they get him a drink in congratulations, and they'd talked and joked through the early evening.

And yet..

His friends left just a short while ago, but L'fer stayed behind to think a little more. And drink a little more...

Ten turns ago, the idea that he would one day be a wingleader, a young green rider from High Reaches, was more than he could have ever even dared to dream. The fact hat it was really happening was incredible, something he could still hardly believe. And yet.. Looking around that table, seeing more bronze riders there than any other color, despite making up just a fraction on the population, he suddenly realized how far there still was to go. It's not that he didn't appreciate all Western did for them. The fact that it was even something to debate, was something, at least. But it was also just a little bit disheartening that here, where it was supposed to be as good as it was ever going to get for greenriders like him, they were still always fighting that uphill battle.

He sighed, resting his head in his hand on the table. It was a wearying thought...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:55 pm

A'ral was pissed. The council had voted in not one, not two, not even three, but four new Bronze Wingleaders! While the remaining new promotions had thankfully been of a Green and a Bluerider, he was infuriated that even in Western they could not escape the metallic fest. Was it so ingrained in their culture that somehow Bronze dragons and riders were inherently possessed of leadership qualities that even the council of shaffing Western couldn't come up with four worthy candidates that weren't sharding Bronzeriders? He'd even had to vote for some of them himself, although there were those he had adamantly voted again. Among the metallic population of Western Weyr there were still those who believed in a colorist mentality.

Needless to say, A'ral was not among them. He'd been drinking his feelings for the past several hours, but at some point it occurred to him that one of the two riders he wanted to congratulate was actually in the very same room with him. The Greenrider put aside his rage for the time being, aware that while there was a lot that still needed to be changed, he needed to take this moment. "Oi, L'fer! Congratulations!" he said, crossing over to where the man sat, head in hand. Well. As ways to start a conversation, that couldn't be the worst.

Fated Fable
Vice Captain

Profitable Prophet

DruidTigeress

Sparkly Genius

25,225 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:13 pm
Fated Fable

"Oh. A'ral." L'fer sat up, a little startled by the sudden voice calling to him, and the fact that it came from the Weyr's Candidatemaster. He quickly fixed his expression, to one that was excited, appreciative.. He neverreally liked to be caught in a bad mood anyway. And he didn't want to seem ungrateful for everything.

"Hey, thanks," he said with a smiled that wasn't entirely forced. And not just for the congratulations. One of the few green riders on the council besides the Weyrwoman, there was a good chance he owed his position at least in part to him. Not that he would presume to say A'ral had voted for him, but he knew a little of the Candidatemaster's political opinions, and he'd say if there was anyone out there making sure chromatics were getting a fair representation, it would be him. "I think it's still sinking in, you know? It's not the kind of thing I used to think was even possible."

He moved his drink to the side and scooted over on the bench. "Do you mind if I ask you something?" he said, sliding over so the man could join him if he wished. "I heard you were High Reaches originally. Is that true?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:35 pm

There was something deeply satisfying about shaking the hand of a fellow Greenrider who had just been promoted. It felt good, the way it should be. A'ral grinned, clapping L'fer on the shoulder. "It's going to take awhile to sink in, but... it's real. Just as real as you or I." As words of encouragement went, it wasn't the best, but it would have to suffice. A'ral sat down next to L'fer, making himself comfortable. There was a lot that he was unhappy about of late, particularly regarding the general attitude of the council. He had to figure that some of the bias was just ingrained at this point, try though anyone might to change it.

"Mm?" he asked, picking up a drink as it was slid across the table to him. "I'm from High Reaches, it's true. What about it?" A curious direction to take the conversation in, but no doubt L'fer had his reasons. A'ral sat, eyes finding the surface of the mug and staying there, thoughts suddenly full of his old life. How had he managed to stay for even the little time that he had? Surely he could not have believed that V'mel would actually give him a chance of rising up.
DruidTigress

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

DruidTigeress

Sparkly Genius

25,225 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:50 pm
Mx Cherie

L'fer noticed a slight shift in A'ral's demeanor and worried for a moment that he might have offended him with his question. "Sorry, I didn't mean anything by it.. Just curious." He lifted his shoulders, looking back at his drink. "If anything, I'm impressed. It sounds like you were smart enough to leave a lot sooner than I did." In hindsight, he couldn't believe how long he'd put up with things there. But he'd been young, and so idealistic back then. And before he'd come to Western he didn't even realize that there was another way. He imagined it was the same for a lot of people.

Lots of riders at Western were from other Weyrs originally, though they left for all kinds of reasons, chromatics and metallics alike. Fleeing to their supposed sanctuary in the West. "I wonder how much of it we bring with us.." he said distantly, not really meaning to speak until he had. "Not just you and me, but everyone. Metallics make up 5% of the population, and what? Like 50% of our leadership? We've got bronzeriders who just 'happen' to pick two bronzes as their wingseconds. It's like.." He sighed heavily, shaking his head. Maybe he shouldn't be saying this at all. Talking too much is what got him into trouble in his last Weyr. "I don't know.. Sometimes it feels like we're just High Reaches with lip service." Was he promoted because the Weyr believed he could do a good job? Or because they needed a token greenrider in a position of power to shut up the chromatics?

[IC RP] Western Weyr

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games