[PRP] Second Guesses (Syflie/Olliah)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Meepfur
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:23 pm
Sylfie made a face at the lukewarm cup of klah in her hand, as though it had personally offended her. It was the same face she'd made every other time she'd picked it up and taken a sip. "Is it too late to change our minds and go home?" she questioned the air and her dragon with an exasperated sigh. "Nevermind finding a new thing to feel like a deadglow about twice a day, the klah's not even very good."

If it's truly such a hardship for you to drink lackluster klah, I'm sure your mother would send you some, but I don't think it's the klah that's really bothering you.

"No, it really is bothering me," she retorted, turning the cup in her hand. She was seriously considering giving up on it and tipping it all out onto the ground, but that seemed unnecessarily disrespectful. "It's not the only thing that's bothering me, but it is one of them." The young woman tapped the page of the book in her lap and shook her head hopelessly. "I don't know anything that we're 'supposed' to know. We'll be lucky if they don't put us in some kind of remedial lessons. Faranth, would that be embarrassing! Taking classes with the Weyrlings."

Would that be so terrible? At least the company would be adorable. When her rider snorted, she continued, We can't be that far behind, we've made it this long with no trouble.

"Fair enough. Everything concerning you," Syflie gestured to the metallic bulk sunning before her in the quiet spot they'd found for themselves, "I'm clear on. It's all this other wherryshit that's the problem. And just you wait 'til they really start trying to teach us how to fight Thread, then you get to be as mortified as I am right now."

Masterharper
and two!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:56 pm
Meepfur
wasn't sure how "new" Sylfie was -- I re-read her profile, so I kind of am assuming she's kind of newish? But let me know if she's been there longer than a Turn or so, and I can adjust my post. xD

Olliah checked herself in a looking glass, clipped a loose strand of hair back into place, and brushed out some wrinkles of her long tunic and pants. She wanted to look presentable when she approached one of High Reaches newest goldriders, and not like she'd been up early rguing with Zheria over the best way to handle the population boom in High Reaches. The Weyr was more popular than ever, and while it could hold hundreds of riders and dragons, and over a thousand staff, not to mention hundreds of Candidates... they always needed to be aware of space and their resources.

Olliah was well aware of Zheria's plan to have High Reaches Weyr be a quiet safe-haven to those in unfortunate situations... but it wasn't always a practical solution. While they could send the secret refugees back out of the world, finding Holds willing to take them in was tricky. With Thread's return, they could no longer simply drop them off with a Trader's camp, and some of their sanctuary Holds were now supplying the up and coming Weyrs demanding more and more of their resources.

Zheria, of course, had put her fut down; she wasn't stopping her operation and Olliah hadn't wanted to fight it. No, instead, she'd dropped the subject, and changed the conversation. There were some battles Olliah knew she wouldn't win; but maybe the Senior Queen would consider the Weyr's situation now before they had a housing crises.

Next on her list, she'd decided it was time to reach out to Sylfie. The girl was young -- Alumet's age, she believed -- and new to the Weyr. She wanted to make sure she was settling in all right, especially as it had been noted that they weren't....well...perhaps the best trained. She wanted to at least introduce herself more officially, if not informally; and see how she might get on with the young woman.

So it was, satisfied that she didn't look too burnt out, or overly exhausted, the dark haired woman mounted her gold and went in search of Hesperith and Hers. Thankfully, it wasn't difficult to find them; if there was one thing about gold dragons, their size and color made them stick out among the crow. Their larger size was also more difficult to overlook.

Fianth landed a ways away, careful not to kick up too much summertime dust from the Bowl. She rumbled a happy and greeting to Hesperith, her eyes whirling a slow and content blue-green. Hello, Hesperith. Might Mine and I join you and yours his morning? Olliah was already dismounting, but would not approach until confirmation was made. She wasn't going to pull rank as this wasn't entirely official business. If the two were busy or not feeling sociable, she could come back another time.

Masterharper
Vice Captain

Meepfur
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:41 am
Masterharper
Very new, just a couple weeks or so, so this is great! biggrin

Sylfie had discovered, over the course of the last two sevendays, that peace and quiet could be difficult to find in the Weyr. She had to be in her personal weyr to be certain of having any, but if she was going to make herself miserable glaring at page after page of badges and colors and heraldry, she much preferred to at least be outside in the sunshine. Unfortunately, with the metallic bulk of her dragon near by, this meant that attention was inevitable. She and Hesperith were uncomfortably interesting. Well, uncomfortable for Sylfie, anyway. Hesperith was more than happy to entertain the company of any dragon who offered it to her.

It was only a matter of time before someone came their way, and at the sight of the landing Queen, the young woman was halfway between relief that it wasn't another bronze, and dread that there might be some manner of official business involved. Anything that might highlight how wretchedly behind she was in comparison to any other goldrider in the Weyr. Nonsense, Hesperith assured her. They are happy to have us here, and they should be happy to help you. Everyone we've spoken to has offered their assistance.

They're bronze. Of course they want to assist you.

Are you implying that they aren't genuine?
The gold sounded mildly offended by the suggestion. They have been perfect gentlemen, and I like them.

Of course you do, love. Ignore me, like them all you want. She knew better than to even try to convince her dragon to be cautious, not with countless strapping males readily available for her to admire when she'd gone from two to none to half the population of High Reaches, whatever that was. Something she was probably supposed to know.

Placated by her bonded's non-answer, Hesperith held her head high as she crooned a polite, pleased greeting to her fellow gold. She'd spent so very little time with any of her color, and she was eager for the opportunity to make up for that. Good day, Fianth, she answered, her eyes mirroring the colors of her elder. If she hadn't earlier made sure to be exquisitely posed in case a handsome male came by, she would have adjusted her position now, but fortunately, she was already looking her best! Mine and I would be delighted to have the pleasure of the company of you and Yours.

Not that she bothered to ask Sylfie, but she knew she didn't have to. The girl might not be as thrilled, but she wasn't antisocial. Just awkward.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:58 am
Meepfur
Sorry for my super delay!

The pale gold was pleased at the warm welcome from the younger queen, and let her eyes whirl brightly with pleasure. While Fianth believed herself to be able to get along with just about anyone, there were a few queen's out there that could be trying company. She was glad that this young one was not like her own Sharath, where every conversation was uncomfortable, or looked upon with suspicion and bitterness. To have another golden sister within the Weyr would only serve Pern well.

When Fianth relayed the welcome to her rider, Olliah took it as a sign to approach. She walked over to the young girl with a warm smile, and offered her the traditional rider greeting. She did not expect Sylfie to return it -- but thought it appropriate all the same. "Good morning, Sylfie. I'm sorry to barge over uninvited, but I thought that you might not mind a break from your studies." Olliah was not unaware that the girl was being served lessens to try to catch her up. The Weyr did not begrudge the gold rider had come into the fold relatively unlearned in the ways of dragon riding, and they were happy to invest in her training... but it did mean much of Sylfie's life was now studies. "You and Hesperith look lovely. Are you settling in all right?" Immediate maternal fussing, though she tried hard to keep it in check. She knew the Weyr could be absolutely overwhelming, and wanted the pair to feel welcome and comfortable.

Fianth, for her part, followed her rider and settled comfortably next to Hesperith. She didn't crowd the other queen, but did not wish to be so far away to be rude or look arrogant. The young queen was a lovely gold, and her colors far more warm compared to Fianth's pale hues. You are a radiant sight. I am sure the males of the Weyr have been struck by such loveliness. She complimented sincerely. None have been heckling you though, have they? Some of them forget their manners when a new queen arrives. She warned, her tail tip giving a little thump of irritation. There were some bronzes and browns out there that Fianth did not care for... but she could only hope they were not planning on attempting to sink their claws in their newest queen so quickly.

Masterharper
Vice Captain

Meepfur
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:45 pm
Shards. She was probably supposed to stand up and salute, or something, but she was on the ground with a book in her lap and a cup of klah in her hand, and by the time she set everything aside and got to her feet - and probably fumbled and knocked her klah over somewhere in the process - the moment would have passed and she would just look ridiculous. No that she didn't already look daft, blinking up at the Weyrwoman Second and not offering any kind of formal greeting, just trying to come up with any sort of greeting at all. After a moment, a decidedly informal "Morning" made its way out. Not even 'good morning,' just 'morning.' "It's- It's fine," she assured Olliah in response to the apology for coming over uninvited, followed up by "We're fine."

Wonderful, Sylfie. Very eloquent. Use your words. She swallowed, licked her lips, set her klah aside, and- oh. Sighed as it tipped right over, because of course it did, and just...looked at the cup with a mixture of anguish and betrayal for several seconds before she reached to right it. Not like it mattered whether the mug was the right way up, at this point, on anything other than principle. "We're fine," she repeated with a nod, although she now sounded less convinced. "Just...learning our way around."

In almost every sense.

Though she was already positioned just so, Hesperith blossomed when complimented by her fellow gold, life coming into the pose with a slight flare and change to the angle of her wings, and her eyes whirled with pleasure. She adored being courted by males, but such flattery from another female was uniquely satisfying. Fianth was just as shimmering, albeit in different shades than her own, and it was good of her to be so lovely and so welcoming. You are very kind, the young gold thrummed. The sun shines fine upon you, as well - no one will be able to tear their gaze away from the sight of us together.

Heckling? Oh, no, they have been most helpful! Hesperith gushed, her own tail curling with happiness. Never have I had such fine company. And not since Ista have I had so much! And though the dragons there had been fine enough, they had mostly been quite a bit older. To see all these strapping specimens in peak fighting condition was thrilling!

Masterharper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:24 pm
Meepfur

Olliah watched as the young woman knocked over her klah, and fumbled for her words. One of her eyebrows did lift ever so slightly, but she made sure her smile was warm. Part of her wanted to press Sylfie -- was the young woman really fine? -- but she restrained herself. "I'm glad to hear you're both well, though I'm sorry your klah took a bit of a tumble."

Bridging the distance between herself an the young girl, she found a suitable spot, and sat not far herself. She didn't want to loom over the young girl, and certainly didn't want her to think she was too good to sit on the Weyrbowl. While she might have preferred a chair or blanket, this was comfortable enough. "The Weyr can be full of surprise corridors and places unknown," she added with a smile. "But you'll know the ins and outs and all of its secrets soon enough. I wound up getting lost in the lower caverns as a weyrling, and made poor Fianth half-frantic with worry, and that doesn't even begin to touch on figuring out where you belong as a rider." She didn't know much how the young gold rider felt, but she did know that Sylfie had been relatively untrained.

It was part of her reason for approaching, after all. To let her know that she would begin to sit in on lessons with V'mel and the weyrling group as they began their flight and Between lessons.

"No one's given you any trouble or problems, have they?" She asked with a slight wrinkle of her nose. Olliah knew how some of he bronze riders of the weyrs could be -- and she wouldn't take anyone trying to weasel their way into Sylfie's good graces. She knew well how charming they could be, and how manipulative, too.

Fianth, for her part, almost seemed to glow with pleasure when the younger queen seemed to welcome her presence. The pale queen had always treasured good friendships and bonding with others, and had been quite approachable for a gold. To have Hesperith welcome her so, and to say such kind things, surely brightened the dragon's mood.

Her eyes whirled brightly, and she settled down not far from the other queen. Their riders might be able to talk, and she might be able to get to know this Istan. You are also very kind. It is nice to have such a considerate queen join our ranks. There are some out there who are... less than hospitable or charitable when it comes to their golden kin. She spoke without judgment, but her words were laced with light reproach and sadness. Not to mention there were some within the Weyr itself.

But I digress -- I am glad to know you find their presence fine. I have not been to the shores of Ista in some time. Do you miss it at all? Or are you acclimating to our mountains well? She was genuinely curious. High Reaches had always been her home, and Fianth didn't think she could ever leave it. It certainly had its flaws -- bronzes in particular being one of them -- but it had treated her well enough. Besides which, Krahjusunth was at the Weyr, and Fianth would go nowhere without him.

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

Meepfur
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:13 am
Sylfie fussed with the mug a little longer, using it as a convenient excuse to avoid eye contact, but she couldn't stare at it and the ground forever, and after wiping her damp fingers on the leg of her trousers, dared another glance up. "It's alright. It-" Wasn't much of a loss? But while that might be how she felt, it was probably not the thing to say, as it could be taken as a complaint or perhaps an insult. Both things she should avoid, if at all possible. "It was getting cold anyway."

There. That was acceptable. As Olliah spoke further, relaying that she'd gotten lost in the Weyr herself, once upon a time, she nodded and threaded her hands together over the book in her lap only to decide that that felt a bit awkward, and so closed the book and started to set it aside - almost to the side where she had spilled her klah, only to realize just in time and set it to the right of her instead. It was all a lot of deflecting, something to focus on rather than the fact that she was speaking to the Weyrwoman Second, and doing a rather poor job of it thus far.

As for whether or not anyone had been giving her trouble, the young woman shook her head. "No, no trouble. Everyone's been...very courteous." It was undeniably overwhelming at times, for someone not used to and uncomfortable with attention; it wasn't as though they all really flocked to or pestered her, but for her, even a handful of especially nosy (or as Hesperith preferred to think of them, chivalrous) riders was quite a lot to handle. And with so much to catch up on, her days already felt over-full, so that when someone did approach her, it felt much more like an intrusion than it might have otherwise. Unless they had a real reason, that was...mostly fine. But rather than fit that all properly into words, she simply said, "There's just, well, a lot of them." 'Them.' That sounded accusing, or maybe exclusive to a certain group, and so she amended awkwardly, "People. I'm just...not used to so many people."

As though that wasn't abundantly obvious. Hesperith might have nudged at her or offered her something to say to Olliah, if she hadn't been delightfully preoccuppied with Fianth. How unfortunate to hear that there are those who lack the grace to embrace others, or at least treat them with courtesy, she remarked. They were Queens! To behave as anything less should be beneath them.

In truth, I've not been to Ista in quite a long time myself, she admitted. Of course, 'a long time' to her was less than two turns, but that was over half the young gold's life. I had missed the company of so many other dragons, but there are even more here! Many were also closer to her own age, or while older, still qualified as being in their prime. Surely Ista was now not so heavy on retirees, but when she'd left, they'd comprised a significant portion of the population. Not an ideal place for a young gold so enamored of having fine suitors to admire. I do miss home, a little, but it is more than a fair trade to be with my own kin.

Uta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:07 pm
Meepfur
If you're still interested in this oldie! If you'd prefer something newer, we can also start to wrap it and try something else that's more up to date. xD Sorry for my sloooow.

If Olliah noticed how Sylfie seemed to fidgit, or at least seemed a bit unsure of herself, she didn't think twice about it. She didn't know the young woman well, but she did understand how hard it could be changing ones environment. Though she'd lived more of her life in High Reaches Weyr than out of it, she still remembered when she'd been dropped off as a Candidate... and then how different everything was after Impression. Sylfie... well, she didn't know much about the girls history, but she did know she was new and still settling in.

Honestly, all she wanted to do was to better get to know the woman, and at least make sure she and Hesperith were doing all right. Thankfully, Sylfie didn't seem to be having too much trouble. Olliah wondered, though, if the girl would admit to as much even if she were! It wasn't that she seemed nervous, per say, but she did seem a bit overwhelmed.

With a sympathetic smile she gave another small nod. "Well, I'm glad they've been polite. I know it must be quite the change. High Reaches Weyr can be a bit overwhelming, even as far as Weyrs go... especially with Hesperith." Had Sylfie been a green or blue rider, her experiences might be well different. "If anything changes, though, or if anyone overstays their welcome -- don't hesitate to reach out to Fianth or myself. I'm afraid some of our folk can be a bit... over eager in their welcome." Giving a shake of her head, she continued, "That said, if you ever do need an escape, my weyr is always open, and I do have an office in case you need to work on your studies somewhere no one will think to find you." Though she had a few fosters, Rune and Rhys were now in the Candidate Barracks, and Tia spent an equal amount in her weyr as much as she did outside of it in the creche or playing with friends. It was always open to her fellows in need -- and she had the second largest weyr in High Reaches!

There was more than ample room in case Sylfie needed an escape where she wouldn't be bothered or found out.

Fianth was tickled pink by the young queen's nature. Oh, but the pale queen hoped that maybe they might well get on as friends. Eyes whirling a bright green-blue, she listened intently to the younger gold. Well, Hesperith, I am glad that you and Yours chose to come here and are with us, then. Perhaps, in time, you might come to find our Weyr to be your new home. If you ever miss those Istan beaches, I have no doubt you are but a hop Between away. I don't know anyone here who doesn't like a good beach outing, or an adventure elsewhere on Pern. The mountains might be where we call home, but you'll have as much companionship as you desire here, and anywhere you might wish to travel.

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

Meepfur
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:41 am
"It's been a lot to get used to, is all. We're- I'm," she corrected, knowing what she was about to say didn't apply to Hesperith so much, even if it was easier to say 'we' for the sake of adding a bit of support in for herself, "Not used to being...anyone, really." She didn't want to say 'important,' because she still wasn't, in the scheme of things, but being a goldrider did carry much more significance in High Reaches than it had at Ista in their time there. Could be it was a bit different now. "...Thank you. I- I appreciate it. I think once the novelty wears off, it- it'll be fine. They'll figure out I'm not...not that interesting, after all."

Goldrider she might be, but she was also someone who was pretty clearly not going anywhere, rank-wise. Too young, too foreign, too awkward, and completely uninterested besides.

The mountains are very lovely, and the air is quite refreshing, Hesperith said with genuine appreciation. Mine and I miss the fields and orchards and growing things, mostly, although I am looking forward to seeing my first snow! It sounds so beautiful.

Do you ever find the time to enjoy an outing, Fianth?
It would perhaps have been over-bold to ask directly if the more senior Queen would go to the beach with her, but she would so dearly like to have a friend to spend time with!

Uta
No worries at all! I'm happy with this one and/or a new one. biggrin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:57 pm
Olliah listened to the young woman, a small smile softening her features. The things Sylfie said, the way she spoke, it all reminded her of her time back at High Reaches Weyr. Back when she was new to the Weyr, back when Fianth was still but a weyrling, and suddenly her life became so much bigger. She had also thought herself a nobody, a no one; who was she but a young rider among many other more experienced gold riders? And yet… Things had changed. Life had thrown curves she’d never expected, but here she was, the Weyrwoman Second of High Reaches Weyr. Still, that didn’t mean she couldn’t understand or relate to Sylfie, and she had to resist offering her a comforting pat or squeeze of the hand.

“I know it’s a lot to take in, especially at High Reaches,” she mused. “You’re not alone in those feelings, and you certainly don’t have to manage them alone. While there are some here who take to the attention and to the expectations like a fish does water, there are others who feel exactly like you do.” Still, Olliah, hated to hear that the young woman seemed to write herself off so quickly. “I have no doubt you’re a terribly interesting young woman, even without Hesperith. That said,” she added gently, “I just hope you know that you aren’t expected or required to humor anyone’s attention you don’t like or don’t want. There are some riders here who forget themselves, or fall over themselves, especially when a gold rider enters the room; just know that you do not have to accept their invitations or companionship if you’d rather not. You can take as long as you need to warm up to the Weyr--it’s not as awful as the rumors make it, but like any place, there are areas it could stand improvement.” She dipped her head and gave a warm smile “My weyr is always open if you ever need to talk, or just need a place to get away.”

Fianth, for her part, listened to the young queen and gave a small croon of pleasure. Orchards are definitely something we lack, though you can find them in some of the Holds we protect. The snows are certainly lovely, and they do come early; enjoy the warmth while we have it, for when it turns, it does so quickly. The only downside of living in so northern a Weyr, and one so high up in altitude.

At the question of whether or not she was able to take many outings, the queen gave a wistful sigh. Mine and I periodically take time out to enjoy, but I will confess, not nearly as often as I would like. Mine keeps herself far too busy, and doesn’t often take time for herself. But every now and then, we’re able to get away. It didn’t help that Hers was married to her work, seemingly, and hardly had anyone with which to encourage her to spend time away. There are some nice beaches, and some lovely places both in High Reaches territory, and outside of it though. I hope you’re able to find more time to get away than Mine does.

”Meepfur”

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

Meepfur
Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:20 am
"I- well, thank you." Sylfie really wasn't sure what else to say, not that that was anything new. But Olliah was being very kind, and she was grateful; with no familiar faces around, what would have been an overwhelming situation for her regardless was made that much worse. Maybe if Hesperith would have consented to go to Western, where some of their friends had...but she hadn't and so here they were, and at least one of them was happy. "I don't think anyone will bother me, really. I'm sure I'll bore them off sooner rather than later, unless they really like farming. Hes...Hes likes it, though. The attention. She'd rather I be better at it."

"It doesn't- doesn't seem so bad here. It's just different from what I'm used to, is all." Very, very different. For all that she wanted terribly to go back home, however, she knew it wasn't right to sit idle while others fought.

I will have to visit them, once in awhile. I know Mine would enjoy it. Homesickness was already well set in, Hesperith knew, but she was hoping that it would improve with time. No dragon wanted Theirs to be miserable, after all. I will make sure to soak up all I can of the sun before the days turn grayer, then. From Ista to Nerat, I fear I have taken it quite for granted.

It is a pity you do not have more time for such things, though I can only imagine how busy you both must be with all of your duties.
One of many reasons Hesperith had no desire to be important in such a way: so much responsibility and work! She was content to be rank and file among the many golds of High Reaches. If it is not too bold of me to ask, perhaps one day you might introduce us to a lovely spot or two? Perhaps it would be a good excuse to get Yours out and about to somewhere diverting for awhile.

Uta

[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff