“Why do you serve Grandmother?” Ulo started a bit, blinking at the little cub who had spoken to him. He recognized her as one of Afon’s. Coiawaen, if he remembered correctly? An odd little one, rather proud of her bloody markings.

“Because she is family through my mate, and good to us. She gave us a home, gave us safety, and opened her paws wide when she did not need to. My mate and I were not in a very good place when your Grandmother found us, but now? Now we are very well off.” He was even contemplating offering his services in tattooing to the pride as a whole. So that all could share a story of their life on their pelts.

“So...you serve out of love and loyalty?” Ulo nodded.

“That is correct, little one. I suspect you ask me because of your pale pelt?” She nodded, shuffling a little before sitting.

“I...I’m too pale. I know Grandmother is, too, but she’s different.” Ulo chuckled and settled down so he was on the cub’s level.

“There is no shame in being pale. In being Sador.” Coi looked at him a bit surprised. “We hold no demons within us, but that does not make us any less. We simply hold a different place in life. We are not out there fighting, but we do other things. I help look after any cubs Noh’vah has, and hunt within the pridal borders, and…” He drew in the soft dirt with his claw a design that, while reminiscent of the tattoos on his pelt, also spoke of the Aegnor’hini. “I can add markings like this to the pelts of those who wish it. A way to tell part of the story of their life where all might see.” Coi looked startled by it, examining the drawing before bounding up to her paws and padding around Ulo to look at his tattoos.

“Did you do yours?” That prompted a laugh from the small lion.

“No, no. Mine were done by my clan’s alu’nadi and nvwati in my birth-pride.” The removal of he and Nova from the Ela...hurt much less than it once had. He could speak of them without pain, and that...that was an improvement. “Have you seen the design on the chil Lachiell?” Coi nodded vigorously. “That design I did do.”

“Can I learn?” Now that surprised Ulo. He looked at the little cub with widened blue eyes.

“Ah...did my ears deceive me, or did I hear you asking to learn tattooing, Coiawaen?” Coi grinned and shook her head.

“They didn’t deceive you! I wanna learn!” Ulo coughed.

“Well...I can certainly try. But you likely won’t be able to do much until adulthood, when you are full-grown and strong. This is a very tedious process for both artist and receiver.” He looked thoughtful. “Perhaps...perhaps I can teach you of art before I teach you how to tattoo. And work on the traits you shall need…” Yes, yes, this could work. It would give her a purpose, something she so very much wanted, and even if he passed, the art would live on in the pride.

Yes, this could work very well. “I do, of course, need to ask your mother if I can take you on as an apprentice. It wouldn’t be very kind to leave her out of this.” Coi nodded vigorously, a bright grin on her muzzle.

“Of course! Oooo, I can’t wait to tell Mama! I bet she’ll be happy I found something cool like this to do!” Ulo chuckled, a smile wide on his own muzzle and a bit of sadness in his heart.

He and Nova had not yet had cubs. He wasn’t sure if they ever would. But...at least he could look after the sador cubs. Guide them, help teach them that their place was different, but no less important. That they, too, had talents, skills, and wants and needs. That each of them was different and unique.

“I hope she is. Because with that much enthusiasm, I’m certain you’ll make an amazing artist!” He chuckled. “So...before we go find your mother, what have you to ask me?” Coi looked thoughtful, then place a paw on his back leg, where a flock of birds was depicted. “What’s the story with this one?” Ulo peered curiously, then smiled.

“That, Coiawaen, is part of the story of my first hunt! In my birth-pride, when you come of age, you must prove yourself a hunter before you are considered an adult. You and your littermates are sent out on a hunt together, with the charge to bring back a meal suitable for your clan!” It felt good to tell the story again, as the words spilled from him. Oh how he had missed speaking of his family, of his friends [few they were] in the Ela’wadiyi. And Coiawaen sat, listening with rapt attention. A few times, she got up on her paws once more to act out little bits of his story. The stalking of prey. The excitement of success. Ah, how he had missed telling tales of his birth-home.

“That was amazing, Ulogi-” The little cub frowned, tried his name again, and stumbled once more. The older sador chuckled, shaking his head.

“It’s fine. I go by ‘Ulo’ most often.” Coi nodded, grin returning.

“Okay! That was amazing, Ulo! Your birth-pride sounded like something! Why did you leave?” Ulo stood and started nudging the cub towards where he knew Afon would be at that time of night.

“It is a story best not told right now. But I am glad the winds brought me here, where I am needed. Nova needed this place, and my talents here are needed. So in the end? I am right where I belong.” Coi didn’t miss the undertone of pain in his voice, but knew better than to comment on it. He would tell her when she was older. Until then, she would listen well to her mother, and learn well from her new teacher.