Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

oo Ded

Lonely Phantom

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:40 pm
User Image
(ICly after Strangers and Kings but before An Invitation to Dinner)

It had been an eventful week. Ahlaq wouldn't say that he was completely comfortable in his new home, yet, but he was certainly getting more used to the place. It wasn't quite the desert that his previous homes had been, but it wasn't the humid jungles that he heard existed out here somewhere. For the dry air and the bright sky he was thankful.

The Umholi wasn't the type for long and rambling conversation, he had spoken to a few of the pride lionesses and had gotten a better feel for the pridal customs than the bits of information that he had gathered from Umkhombo before the arrival of the three Abaholi. There was one topic, however, that he had only lightly probed about. Ahlaq had gathered the names of the former Qyrhyeshti lionesses. He hadn't yet spoken to them, though. Didn't quite know how to go about it...

The sun was in its descent and the air was more refreshing than during the midday. Ahlaq was alone, meandering a little ways away from where he imagined the bulk of the pride members to be. He didn't mind the gathering--both the Bukuteshti and the Impibutho involved the pride members coming together, though here that involved significantly less rough-housing than he was accustomed to. Still, it was nice to be alone with his thoughts for a little while. That, and when he was around a gathering of lionesses he would swear that he could feel the stares and gossiping.

The sandy lion shook out his mane. He snorted, an expression of amusement on his face. The Burkuteshti wold gossip too. Somehow it went hand in hand with the training and waiting for battle. Even here, he found bits and pieces of that former life.

Ecavi

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:07 am
User Image

Kasirga was mostly over the embarrassment of the scene she had caused when Umkhombo's partners arrived, though still plotting revenge against her sister.. the one who had really caused the scene. She was also wondering how to test the Abaholi, if she was going to ever give up on her skepticism. The one with the name like theirs was still the most interesting of the bunch, though in the week that had passed she'd learned enough from her mother to know he shouldn't be interesting but infuriating.

Luckily for Ahlaq, she didn't really care.

When she spotted him wandering away from the bulk of the pride, she decided to take a chance and follow after him. If she was spotted, there was sure to be gossip about it.. various types, in fact, depending on who saw. But she didn't care about that either.

"Ahlaq," she called out after finally catching up, "That is your name, right? Ahlaq sim.."

She didn't remember the rest of his name.

oo DeD

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

oo Ded

Lonely Phantom

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:28 pm
At the sound of a voice Ahlaq blinked and his steps paused. The sandy lion recognized her immediately as one of the Qyrhyeshti lionesses. Their presence had been enough to create for a nagging awareness of who they were and what they looked like.

But there didn't seem to be any immediate threat of claws or fangs coming his way. A step in a good direction, at the very least, though he couldn't help but tense a little.

"sim Sungus," he finished after pausing in silence just enough for it to start to get uncomfortable. sim Sungus, not that it really mattered now. All of that was a couple of lifetimes ago. He questioned himself as to what was keeping him attached to his surname. Nostalgia? Though it had been his first home, Ahlaq couldn't help but disconnect memories of the Burkuteshti with the feeling of bitter failures.

"I don't think we've properly met, yet." His voice was a bit gruff. The voice of someone who may have been a leader but was ultimately raised as a warrior, first. Though they hadn't yet been formally introduced, her colors and markings rang a few bells. Ahlaq was aware that there were lionesses here that were direct descendants of the Qyrhyeshti Bey and Hatun. His father had died sustaining wounds from the Qyrhyeshti Hatun, way back when. Ahlaq couldn't help but have some sort of bizarre appreciation for the narrative quality of all of this.

Ecavi

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:12 am
Kasirga noticed his hesitation and the tension her approach seemed to cause, but it was entirely expected after what little she'd gathered from her mother. His surname was confirmation that he was indeed one of them, just as she and Sinir had guessed from the initial introduction of the males.

"Right," she said, "Ahlaq sim Sungus."

Neither name by itself rang a bell, if anybody had ever mentioned Ahlaq or his father, she hadn't been paying attention. The real test would be seeing how he reacted to her properly introducing herself. He might know her mother.

"My name is Kasirga," she said, giving him a critical look, "Kasirga bint Nesf."

oo DeD

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

oo Ded

Lonely Phantom

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:36 pm
"Kasirga bint Nesf," he repeated, looking her over and matching the name to the face in his mind. "I…" His voice trailed and he shook out his mane, searching for the right words to say next. "I recognize the name. And your mother's. Though I'd have to admit that I'm familiar with them only recently. From here and from what Umkhombo tells me. The Burkuteshti were more the type to brawl than to get to know the names of the-" a pause, "the opponent."

He stopped himself from using the word 'enemy.' The prides were dead. The war was dead. There was nothing to be gained by framing his relationship with the Qyrhyeshti lionesses as one between enemies.

While the names of the Qyrhyeshti were nothing more than vaguely familiar to Ahlaq at this point, he refrained from disclosing his observation that some did look recognizable. The former Bey was certain that he had exchanged blood with some.

"So," he continued, sitting. "What brings you out here? Come to do me in while I'm alone?" His last statement came with a quirked brow and a look, though coupled with his serious tone, held a hint of amused sarcasm. Though Ahlaq might not have known his own intentions when first agreeing to come to the Bonelands with Umkhombo, the sandy lion was at least somewhat aware of what he was getting in to.

Ecavi

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:56 am
Her gaze intensified when he paused, but then she simply smirked when he settled on the term 'opponent'. This did have potential to be extremely interesting, certainly more interesting than listening to her mother try to tell whatever stories about all this. She knew it was a good idea to approach him.

She was mildly disappointed that her mother's name didn't carry more weight with him, though. Her mother was such a loud, fierce figure in her life.. it seemed only natural that she would be well known throughout her history. Perhaps in action, if not in name then.. but it didn't matter.

"Perhaps," she answered, "Are you worried about the Qyrhy here?"

oo DeD

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

oo Ded

Lonely Phantom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:20 pm
"Should I be?" Ahlaq's brow remained raised and his gaze didn't falter. There hadn't yet been any instances of Qyrhyeshti lionesses calling for his blood and to be honest he was a bit surprised. He imagined that things might have been made smoother considering the fact that he was on good terms with their bey, but if the Qyrhyeshti were anything like the Burkuteshti, there had to be some stubborn ones in there that were reluctant to let bygones be bygones.

"As far as I'm concerned, my role here is that of Umholi. Not Burkuteshti Bey. And I intend to do that job regardless of whether or not I'm in the Qyrhy's good graces." The sandy lion shrugged. For a long while the loss of the Burkuteshti weighed heavy in his heart. All the guilt and self-loathing that begat a leader who lost his pride hung with him and made Ahlaq a bitter soul. He had done his best to move on. To make a new start. He liked to think he did a pretty good job of that.

"What of you? I don't recall seeing you out on the battlegrounds." Albeit it was a chaotic time. She seemed a touch young to have met him in battle, but he wasn't among the oldest lions, himself. Still, he had yet to really talk to many of the Qyrhy about their experiences (and he expected they wouldn't be warming up to the idea of chatting about the war anytime soon).
Ecavi
Ugh, late reply is late

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:07 am
"Perhaps."

Kasirga had a simple answer for him when asked about the level of threat from the Qyrhy already within the pride. It would have been the same answer regardless. His explanation offered more insight into the situation, but not enough. One of the Burkuteshti, that would have been easy to guess..
and alone it would explain her mother's attitude.

"I was born after the Qyrhy left the desert," she explained when asked about why she had never been seen in battle, "I grew up a rogue, with only stories of the Qyrhyeshti and Burkuteshti. You and Umkhombo may have moved on but you'll find that's not true of everybody here."

Her mother was one of the ones who clearly hadn't move on. Kasirga herself, on the other hand? She was more intrigued than anything.

oo DeD
(( No worries! ))

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

oo Ded

Lonely Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:58 am
"Mm," he started. His weight shifted beneath him thoughtfully. "I mean, it was like a whole other world. Having it all taken away... it's like entering a whole new reality. When the Burkuteshti was first..." a search for the right word, "gone? It was like everything I knew since my birth wasn't real anymore."

Ahlaq couldn't really explain why he was compelled to talk to her about his experiences. Maybe he felt some sort of security in the fact that, though she was by all rights a Qyrhy lioness, she wasn't born until after the fall. In that respect, she hadn't really been an enemy.

"That is to say," he continued, clearing his throat and straightening his posture a touch, "I understand that it's hard to move on. That some might not want to move on. It's a fair stance."

It was more complicated than that, of course. Disease and the arrival of humans had driven out the Burkuteshti. It had taken a long while for him to come to the acceptance that there isn't much that they could have done. Coming to the Bonelands and being around the Qyrhyeshti lionesses, he couldn't help but feel an added weight on his shoulders as he thought of how, during the last while of the war, the Burkuteshti were winning. No doubt there was some bitterness about it.

Ecavi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:59 am
Kasirga looked silently on and Ahlaq tried to explain the difficulties of moving on when everything you knew was taken away from you unexpectedly. Her life had so little stability, she couldn't understand it.. but she could imagine. She saw it in her mother,
even if her mother was a lioness to be respected.. it was always plain that this was not really her moving on. Reconciling the Qyrhy teachings with the Bonelands culture didn't always work well, as demonstrated by the reaction to her scrap with Sinir when the new Abaholi were being welcomed.

"I can't truly understand the feeling, but I understand what you're saying," she said, shifting her weight, "This has been interesting, I'd like to hear some of the stories you must have to tell sometime, but not today."

Unexpected personal imposition like that was likely not a good idea, he had to be sizing her up just as much as she was sizing him up. She was warming up to the Umholi but she was still far from giving him the kind of credit the other lionesses did.

"Don't expect trouble from me," Kasirga said, "But watch out for Nesf. You'll know when you see her. She's only got one eye, but don't let that fool you."

With a smile, she said nothing else, turned and left.

oo DeD
Kasirga is good at ending conversations.

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

[IC] Ithambo'hlabathi Lands

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas